omg remixed magnificent rules! -OR- wtf this shit sucks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KhanadaRhodes

Paper Gods
Staff member
yeah idk.

imo only the opening sounds different to me, i don't hear how it's been remixed. but that's just me. it sounds okay but rather bland. the drums seem a bit peppier but that's it.

So they put in some Africa/Desmond stuff and that's a remix? Other than slightly different drums (seems faster in the chorus, but slower during verses); not sure it was worth bringing back......though I guess give them some time to fine tune it.

At least it wasn't another ATYCLB song.

It seemed a little more upbeat an energetic to me. Especially on Bono's part.

But, I have one question:

Why do the boys get such a HUGE boner for Tutu?

Honestly it doesn't sound all that different to me and definitely not what I think of when I hear the word 'remix'. They seemed to have just tweaked it a tad.

"Remix" magnificent blows big time. Seriously, bring back the old version. I really can't stand this new one.

Agreed.

I've had no problem with the Crazy Tonight and EBTTRT remixes, but this seems very... forced. And even though it's very minimal, I think four songs in is a little too early in the show to be starting the political (Tutu) stuff.

"Remix" magnificent blows big time. Seriously, bring back the old version. I really can't stand this new one.

Agreed, not really liking this one. The original way seemed more fun, and that early in the set, that is what is needed. Plus are they still using the Tutu vid for One? A second time seems like overkill.

:sad: They ruined it! This new version is so thin and lifeless and it sounded like they just wanted to hurry up and get it over with. The loud RAWRR guitar part at the beginning of the original sounded so great live. And as if we need more political/Tutu stuff crammed in there! I'm very disappointed.

re: magnificent...at least they got rid of the cool intro. i really didn't enjoy the most non-generic part of the song.
This.

It's so thin and watery sounding now. I don't mind a bit of shimmer but I liked when Magnificent had some muscle, too. I was so looking forward to hearing the intro at the show I'm attending.

And yeah, political stuff only four songs in is way too early.

:sad: They ruined it! This new version is so thin and lifeless and it sounded like they just wanted to hurry up and get it over with. The loud RAWRR guitar part at the beginning of the original sounded so great live. And as if we need more political/Tutu stuff crammed in there! I'm very disappointed.

Yeah, I agree about it sounding rushed. If this is because they're sick of the song, I'd almost rather have them drop it than continue to play it in this arrangement. :reject:

Hopefully they will revert back to the song's original arrangement.

Original version is much better. This to me is a song that needs to be slower, so this remix just makes it sound.. off :hmm:

That's not a remix that's diluted Kool-Aid...without the spoon of sugar mom used to add so she could mix in more water.

This is probably one of the very few times where I like an album cut of a U2 song better than the live adaptation. What's with the new beat? That does not sound good imo. It's almost like someone said "hey let's do one of the remixes but let's cut out the steady beat and turn down the bass lest we move the crowd just a bit too much"...

Just do it like one of the freakin remixes, already. Or at least just do the album version sped up a few BPMs. I get what they are trying to do with the breaks and all, but one of the remixes with that slow rise out of the middle would be way better for that. And they could still use that intro, it's clearly influenced by the remixes they released.

eta: Magnificent needs to be slower? For the love of pete, no way! No more mid-tempo lounge tunes. Listen to Gloria UABRS that's how this song should be played: full out, a joyful noise, as it were.

It's hard to tell over a YouTube video, but so far I'm not a fan. Any turning down of Edge's guitar in the mix is a bad thing, especially on a song where it's the star.

I'll withhold further judgement until I hear it live.

I like the old one better. I really liked when Edge, at the start, would slam those chords down and - in sync - the Claw would become ablaze and engulf the whole stadium in light.

I saw last night's video again - and I changed my mind. I like it but I don't like it. They didn't have to do a remixed version of the song, they just had to speed it up. The new intro is useless, I honestly like the "What time is it in the world?" intro that has been used in past versions. If they tweak it more, then of course I'll change my mind. But it's a rough copy. :down:

That fucking sucks. They got rid of the intro which was the best part of the song and should have been extended live and replaced it with this shit. :down::down:

No wonder u2 dont try many different things

I like when they try different things. CT and EBTTRT are great. I just don't like this. It sounds hollow with no muscle behind it, they dropped my favorite part of the song which should have been epic live, and they shoehorned Tutu in there. It doesn't work for me. Of course taste is subjective.

I honestly don't think it's any better or worse than the other version. It's only minor tweaks. I can't see how people think it's "ruined" now.

Yeah, I agree about it sounding rushed. If this is because they're sick of the song, I'd almost rather have them drop it than continue to play it in this arrangement. :reject:

Hopefully they will revert back to the song's original arrangement.

Yes, as in this original arrangement!!

YouTube - U2 - Magnificent (Live from Somerville Theatre)

It sounded really great on the promo tour.

Something that was never lived up to on the 360 tour, though the 1st few shows(Barcelona, Milan, etc) had great versions.

The "remix" quite frankly sucks. Yeah, it's a bit faster in parts, but what's with the stopping the drums and bass at transitions instead of going right through.

Those drum rolls by Larry building up to the big cymbal crash became more intense with every run through the chorus.

Play it like on the promo tour(or a bit faster w/nothing else different), or drop it entirely!!

And definitely get the Tutu out!

Wtf is the deal with Tutu? Are they gonna remix Breathe next and stick up some footage of Kofi Annan?

Back
Top Bottom