Not impressed by the set-list!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think No Line is a great opener. So I'm going to go to the bathroom during Breathe to get my wish.

Could be so much better. It's very predictable and contains some songs that should have been dropped from the live show long ago (Pride, RTSS to name but two).

And WHY are they opening with 'Breathe'.....? C'mon guys, it HAS to be 'FEZ.' Play the opening as the band comes on and then blast into the guitar part. It'd be just like 'Zoo Station' opening ZooTV.

Anyone else a little underwhelmed and slightly disappointed with the set-lists so far?

Everyone will never be happy. You can ask 100 people and each would want a different set list.

They stopped playing Bullet, NYD, Bad, All I Want Is You... all played for many if not all tours since released.

They've added Electrical Storm, UV, The Unforgettable Fire... rehearsed and will hopefully play Drowning Man... They are playing what 7-ish of the new songs...

Plus it is a mere 4 shows in. The set lists morph during the tour a bit.

Just seems that some will never be happy. And that is sad.

I've seen video of all 4 shows. Those in attendance did not look or sound disappointed.

Just a couple of things and I will be done on this topic (for now ;) ).

First, I hate setlist bitching. I almost always hate the threads about the static nature of the setlists, why is "x" song not being done, why is "x" song being done, etc... It is U2's music, they can play what they like. I don't have a problem with the setlist being fairly static and I know they always have and always will play some old warhorses that the diehards will not care for. Its the way it is and almost always has been. I have no problem with the song choices for this tour either. As a diehard there are songs I would love them to play but its not going to happen and I don't see a need to complain about it.

I do think though this time out there is a definate problem with the opening song choice that the band just don't seem to feel or get for some reason. No, not everyone is going to agree. But from what I have read here and several other sites there is a certain percentage of fans, that is more than just a couple bitchers or trolls, that are in agreement that Breathe is an odd choice and/or just does not work as an opening song. Most even like the song (including myself). Will I not go to a show, do I think U2 have lost it, will I not be happy if they don't play "x" song? No, I'm just happy they are touring again and I get to see them. But, this problem would be SO easy to fix and I'm having trouble grasping what the band is going for opening with Breathe. Its a show stopper, in a bad way. I guess this thread is about venting about that and seeing that I'm not alone with the feeling. People can belittle and make fun of it, thats fine. I personally think its ridiculous. Especially if someone is trying to put out a legitimate opinion and trying to give logical reasons and solutions. I do think there is some validity to the criticism about the pacing of the setlist and/or at least the opening song choice. :shrug:

My solution in the past on the setlist bitching threads is if it was driving me nuts and/or I couldn't stand it was to just not read them. Its a pretty basic concept. I think some with the smug, sarcastic, comments should adhere to it. :)

Blue Room once again you sum up in one post, what i didnt get near to trying to explain in about 5 bleeding pages!:up:
Perhaps i should go and resit an English Lit exam!!:lol:

Just a couple of things and I will be done on this topic (for now ;) ).

First, I hate setlist bitching. I almost always hate the threads about the static nature of the setlists, why is "x" song not being done, why is "x" song being done, etc... It is U2's music, they can play what they like. I don't have a problem with the setlist being fairly static and I know they always have and always will play some old warhorses that the diehards will not care for. Its the way it is and almost always has been. I have no problem with the song choices for this tour either. As a diehard there are songs I would love them to play but its not going to happen and I don't see a need to complain about it.

I do think though this time out there is a definate problem with the opening song choice that the band just don't seem to feel or get for some reason. No, not everyone is going to agree. But from what I have read here and several other sites there is a certain percentage of fans, that is more than just a couple bitchers or trolls, that are in agreement that Breathe is an odd choice and/or just does not work as an opening song. Most even like the song (including myself). Will I not go to a show, do I think U2 have lost it, will I not be happy if they don't play "x" song? No, I'm just happy they are touring again and I get to see them. But, this problem would be SO easy to fix and I'm having trouble grasping what the band is going for opening with Breathe. Its a show stopper, in a bad way. I guess this thread is about venting about that and seeing that I'm not alone with the feeling. People can belittle and make fun of it, thats fine. I personally think its ridiculous. Especially if someone is trying to put out a legitimate opinion and trying to give logical reasons and solutions. I do think there is some validity to the criticism about the pacing of the setlist and/or at least the opening song choice. :shrug:

My solution in the past on the setlist bitching threads is if it was driving me nuts and/or I couldn't stand it was to just not read them. Its a pretty basic concept. I think some with the smug, sarcastic, comments should adhere to it. :)

Good post. I think switching the first two songs would make a pretty big difference, although they could probably come up with something better. Magnificent? A long intro into NLOTH, possibly using the Fez-BB intro?

What do you think they should open with Blue Room?

I agree there are some other songs that explode with energy in a way that Breathe does not. But, I have to say that I LOVE the videos I've seen with Larry coming out and banging out the intro to the song. At least it's not GOYB, which I don't like that much...Here's an idea for a show opener- I THREW A BRICK!!!! That has the best drum intro IMHO, even better than SBS

You left out Love is Blindness as the closer. That's what I'm talking about though - start with a full onslaught of new stuff; an opener that wasn't a rockeing hit single (or potential single)...challenging and adventurous coming after JT and Lovetown tours. Bullet, Running, and Streets weren't as worn out then either (plus they completely re-worked Running for the ZooTV tour!)

Compared to ZooTV and PopMart in their eras, this setlist just seems stale and unadventurous.

I don't know whether you've seen the show or not- but if you haven't how can you judge how good, bad or indifferent it is???

I have seen the show and it works (possibly not the remix of Crazy Tonight) as a set list- delivers a mix of new songs and well known hits- more or less what most bands do- and certainly the crowd in Barca were enjoying Breathe

hell what would people be here like if U2 were like Oasis- play the same hits on every tour- and more or less in the same running order and slot in 4/5 new album tracks

ny all means judge it when you've seen it- and if people still thinks it's crap after the show then say so- but you can't really judge it until you've seen it, and certainly not on the basis of just reading the set list or listening to some bootleg

And how serious can I take your rant...

Rant??? That wasn't a rant? It only becomes a rant when arseholes like you see it that way and react in an overly aggressive manner.

Blimey man, take a chill pill. Do some reiki, meditate, re-start your prozac prescription.

You seem to be making it into some kind of 'competiton' about who knows the most about U2.

I'm happy with the 27 shows I've seen over the years, the six I'll be seeing on this tour blahdy blah blah blah...BLAH...etc etc etc. Damn..."it's not a competition"..."it's not a competition"..."it's not a competition"..."3-2-1...and you're back in the room."

I'd really love them to do 'Angels' again after all this time. And it really annoys me how they keep playing 'Wild Irish Rose' and 'Mercy' at every show. I also wish they'd play 'The Birdie Song', 'Agadoo' and 'There's A Guy Works Down The Chip Shop Swears He's Elvis'...but they won't. And what about the obvious 'RVNTNOPRTSJNGRDSVCDTUNYGHFDEOYTRDSETGAEN'...that MUST MUST MUST be in the show at some point?

Bugger:applaud:

C'mon man, you can make it to 26,000 posts...I'm nearly at 50. QED..."simples."

Good post. I think switching the first two songs would make a pretty big difference, although they could probably come up with something better. Magnificent? A long intro into NLOTH, possibly using the Fez-BB intro?

What do you think they should open with Blue Room?

Actually, in my post prior to the last one my solution was opening with NLOTH and I explained how I thought it could work. I think its a natural opener and I honestly thought it is what they would use before the tour started.

Someone previously said I Threw A Brick. I like the thought of the song. I Don't think it should open, but imagine playing it about mid set and at the end with the drum part outro have that lead into the Breathe intro. That would be pretty cool. Tie the two songs together. Wont happen, but I think that would be creative.

Its what I liked about the last two tours, in particular Vertigo. They were trying to tie their older stuff with the new stuff and it made the setlist flow as a result most of the time. Other than Unf. Fire, I don't really feel the tie ins this time out to the new album.

Rant??? That wasn't a rant? It only becomes a rant when arseholes like you see it that way and react in an overly aggressive manner.

Blimey man, take a chill pill. Do some reiki, meditate, re-start your prozac prescription.

You seem to be making it into some kind of 'competiton' about who knows the most about U2.

I'm happy with the 27 shows I've seen over the years, the six I'll be seeing on this tour blahdy blah blah blah...BLAH...etc etc etc. Damn..."it's not a competition"..."it's not a competition"..."it's not a competition"..."3-2-1...and you're back in the room."

I'd really love them to do 'Angels' again after all this time. And it really annoys me how they keep playing 'Wild Irish Rose' and 'Mercy' at every show. I also wish they'd play 'The Birdie Song', 'Agadoo' and 'There's A Guy Works Down The Chip Shop Swears He's Elvis'...but they won't. And what about the obvious 'RVNTNOPRTSJNGRDSVCDTUNYGHFDEOYTRDSETGAEN'...that MUST MUST MUST be in the show at some point?

:crack:

Strangely, Breathe seems to be the better opener indeed. Before I went to the show I also thought NLOTH would be the better opener, but it works very well for the second spot. Plus don't forget Bono's playing guitar on NLOTH and that would possibly be a bit difficult if it was the first song. First song starts with drum solo, then the band members come on stage, Bono last, then it's just pure energy .... it's brilliant. For Magnificent, Bono is on the catwalk beginning to end, it's the song where he really connects with the audience first. Then Boots, the first song that really brings down the crowd. Seriously, U2 aren't stupid, they know what they do. This sequence works very well.

Strangely, Breathe seems to be the better opener indeed. Before I went to the show I also thought NLOTH would be the better opener, but it works very well for the second spot. Plus don't forget Bono's playing guitar on NLOTH and that would possibly be a bit difficult if it was the first song. First song starts with drum solo, then the band members come on stage, Bono last, then it's just pure energy .... it's brilliant. For Magnificent, Bono is on the catwalk beginning to end, it's the song where he really connects with the audience first. Then Boots, the first song that really brings down the crowd. Seriously, U2 aren't stupid, they know what they do. This sequence works very well.

I dont think I ever implied or indicated that U2 were stupid. They are not perfect either though. Like I have said numerous times in this thread, maybe it will be different in person. But A LOT that have seen the show have said the same thing. Is it the worst opener they could have thought of? No, but I would have to respectfully disagree that its a brilliant opener. I'm not seeing it or hearing it at this point. Mofo, Zoo Station, Streets, even City and/or Vertigo. Those were top notch opening songs. Breathe isn't even in the same stratosphere of those songs as openers to me. :shrug:

as far the opener, I would like to see Magnificent or Boots....Boots has that great intro and its a fast start to show the start right. seems to get the crowd going from the video i've seen.

magnificent also has a great intro which would fit. plus these are the first two singles.

breathe is my favortie on the album probably, but doesnt work as an opener for me.\\

i love the song selection overall, but i dont like some of the flow of it. crazy remix into SBS? i do like what they did the remix but i think they should drop it for the regular version. this is one of my least fav songs of the record, but i loved it live on letterman.

let's see what that exchange would look like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Afh4d-BMMa0

-dan

Breathe is not a good opener im convinced of that

Well then it's settled...:lol:

Actually I'm not a huge fan of it as an opener, but after watching the little clip from Paris it was pretty good... The one thing about that clip, is they are ALL smiling, that's rare, watch it, it's kind of odd...

There was some sort of quick connection with the audience during "Zoo Station", "MOFO", "City Of Blinding Lights" or "Vertigo" where they were the openers. There's no urgent need for Bono to go on the catwalk the entire "Magnificent", maybe just at the end/middle of the song. I could see it as an opener. Plus, IMO, in terms of atmosphere and role in the albums, "Magnificent" is for NLOTH what "MOFO" is for POP and what Streets is for JT.

Well then it's settled...:lol:

Actually I'm not a huge fan of it as an opener, but after watching the little clip from Paris it was pretty good... The one thing about that clip, is they are ALL smiling, that's rare, watch it, it's kind of odd...

Saw the video you are referencing about five hours ago & you are right... I even thought the exact same thing

What on earth is going on here all four of them were smiling ESPECIALLY the one who rarely does:D

i've been looking at the sets and feel like they're putting on a great show. Like it's been said already, U2 have been playing static sets for YEARS. I remember reading through a book with setlists in it and seeing the setlist from Red Rocks was in fact played exactly the same in many concerts leading up to and after that gig, so got the impression they settled on a set they liked and just played that.

The only people who can complain are people who went and paid loads of money to see them more than once and see the same set twice but even then those people are hardly in a position to complain anywa. They should just be thankful they're getting to see U2 twice quite frankly. I just saw blur at Glastonbury then Hyde Park a week later and they played the exact same set and I knew which songs were coming and it actually took the fun out of it a little bit. But like I said, if you get to see a band you love twice then that's good enough.

As for the setlist being static this time round I really don't care. I'll be really annoyed if I read a post along the lines of "I went to BOTH nights in Wembley and they played almost the exact same setlist only with Mysterious Ways thrown in!! WAAH WAAAH!"

The fact is they're playing the new stuff (Bob Dylan fucking refused to acknowledge his new album even EXISTED at recent gigs!! :lol:) which I can't wait to hear live AND they've brought back some fucking GREAT oldies. If that's not good enough for people then what is?! :huh: who here knew every setlist inside out during Zoo TV before going to a gig?

Anyone else think that if they eventually end up playing Stand Up Comedy, that it might work well between NLOTH and GOYB? I'm not especially crazy about the album track but I'd really like to see them attempt this live, plus five new songs in a row would be awesome. The potential is there for SUC, I think. Add that song and Fez-Being Born somewhere, maybe as the encore opener leading into Ultraviolet. Just one fan's thought. Here's hoping!

how about this setlist:

1.Zoo Station
2.The Fly
3.Even Better Than The Real Thing
4.Mysterious Ways
5.One
6.Until The End Of The World
7.Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
8.Tryin' To Throw Your Arms Around The World
9.Angel Of Harlem
10.Satellite Of Love
11.Bad / All I Want Is You (snippet)
12.Bullet The Blue Sky
13.Running To Stand Still
14.Where The Streets Have No Name
15.Pride (In The Name Of Love)
16.I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For

encore(s):

17.Desire
18.Ultra Violet (Light My Way)
19.With Or Without You

would you feel cheated to get only 19 songs in the setlist and 9 songs from the current album?

I was at that show, and didn't feel cheated. Though I assume B felt he'd let us down...his last words were "Good night, I'm sorry". My first U2 show, and it was great. Interestingly for folks who weren't around then, there was MUCH uproar about the dropping of "war horses" like IWF, NYD, SBS, TUF. I was disappointed because I'd grown up on those, but I still had a blast.

I think, for me, and this is just for me, I am a little dissapointed because I love U2 the rock band, not U2 the adult contemporary pop wonder.

Now I love Electrical Storm, The Unforgettable Fire, and I especially love Untraviolet, particularily in its current incarnation. But I know that if I were to see the setlists we've seen already I would find myself wishing for a little more guitar and drums, a little more distortion and noise. Vertigo was outstanding for this, The Electric Co, Fly, Vertigo for that matter. They seem to be playing a more mellow set this time around, which is their call, but I just know that when I see U2 in a stadium, I'd like to be blown away a bit.

AJ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom