Not impressed by the set-list!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've listened to boots of three of the four shows that have been played... I think the band and Bono sound better than they have since '93. This is the U2 that I used to worry had disappeared forever. And they're playing Ultraviolet, UF and Electrical Storm? And they finally dropped Bullet? And the new songs are brilliant? Why are people complaining? It's not like they spent the last six tours mixing up the setlist every night.

word. except for the fact that i didnt think they had disappeared. but otherwise, word.

From a personal taste perspective, the current setlists doesn't excite me that much, but U2 aren't playing a show for me.

It's quite a satisfying and encpasulative setlist in terms of song selection.

Ultraviolet (16 years), Unforgettable Fire (20 years), Electrical Storm (debut after 7 years of existence) - how do these songs not satisfy the hardcore fans like ourselves? We'd never have imagined some of these songs being returned (or played for the first time) and they have been played!

Unknown Caller - a strange studio experiment; surprised they're playing this one live (as opposed to SUC or White As Snow), but they are!

When I went to my first U2 gig in Melbourne in '06, I'd arrived being a little underwhelmed by the greatest-hits-ness of the previous Australian Vertigo Tour setlists. I was accepting of it due to how long it had been since they'd played in Melbourne, but I wanted some of the Glorias and An Cat Dubhs and Wild Horses they'd played on the European and North American legs.

But the highlights of that night were Sunday Bloody Sunday, Beautiful Day and Pride. I didn't need my beloved Gloria or Zoo Station or Love Comes Tumbling. I came to realise why U2 consistently preserved so many of their hits, because they have unfathomable power and resonance live. Why not stick with the proven ecstatic moments?

I for one, would be disappointed if they didn't play SBS or BD next time I go and see them, because I know how awesome they are when you're actually at the gig. It doesn't matter what 23 songs they are, just as long as they're U2 songs performed by U2.

Trust an Aussie to talk fair dinkum reason and good old fashion common bloody sense.

CRIKEY!!!

Even though there are very different opinions expressed by people in this thread, I have to say there is something I agree with in what everyone is saying here.

My observations: THE GOOD
1.)Overall, I am not bitching. U2 is back on tour for the first time since 2006, and just 3 shows in, everyone is on top of their game and Bono is sounding great. UF and UV are back, and Electrical storm is finally in the set! I would say if you had constructed a super thread/poll of what songs interference wants back, everyone pick 3, then UF, UV, and ES could have easily won. Things have been mixed up to some extent, Angel, Party girl, stuck, Desire, Electrical storm, in a little while, etc. The claw looks great, everyone in attendance seems to be having a great time, the PA system is enormous and sounds great even with crappy bootlegs.
2.)WHAT COULD IMPROVE? THE OPENER: no suprises here, like many, I think Breathe is a great song but just not as an opener. A U2 stadium show is about a massive build up to a massive opening, lights flashing, visuals, etc- just look at your Sydney Zoo TV or Popmart Mexico DVDs. Something is missing here, and its noticeable given the stage design, there is just so much more they could do. I think the best bet would be to have some kind of intro video like Zoo TV, use the claw lights, etc, then segue that into the opening they were using for Boots on the tv appearances. GOYB then goes into Even Better than the real thing or a FULL BAND LOVETOWN VERSION of Desire. Then NLOTH. That would add some pop to the opening. As it is now, it just lacks energy.
THIS SETLIST IS TOO STRUCTURED: There is the usual open with 3 rockers, then a couple of uplifting anthems(Magnificent, BD) then Still Havent found, then a few spots that are rotated nightly, usually songs like Angel or in a little while or a neutered version of Desire(Elevation tour anyone?). Now a new song(UC), a well liked recent cut(COBL), a resurrected classic(UF),a new song(CT remix) then SBS starts a long list of political songs that ends with the main set at One(Vertigo tour anyone?). Then we are back for a short encore of UV(great!), then a boring WOWY(Elevation style this time, it really needs a rest and has been a disappointment on 360 so far- where the hell is the Tokyo 2006 version, Bono??). MOS is a good closer. This setlist suffers from being so structured- you really cant find a place for a songs like Dirty Day, Exit, Gone, LNOE and Please. If you replace one of the songs in the long political set, you lose the flow. Please would fit where SBS is some nights, but then again, why take out a rocker when that is what this set has lacked? Time to abandon the Elevation/Vertigo structure in favor of a JT/Lovetown approach. Walk on, Desmond>>Streets makes the political point that is part of U2 that I love, they dont need SBS, Pride, MLK, One all in the same order every night. How about Silver and Gold sometimes?
MORE UPBEAT SONGS TO GO WITH THE CLAW/VISUALS:UF and UV, great for the atmosphere, no complaints about these. However, the claw just screams for songs like Hold me thrill me..., LNOE, EBTTRT, full band Desire(360 version sucks), MW, MOFO, Holy Joe. No need for an arena setlist in a stadium.
ROTATION IS THE NAME OF THE GAME: One, Pride, SBS, BD, COBL, Vertigo, Still havent found- still love hearing all of these. However, no need for them all to be in the setlist together every single night. Make a list of the hit parade, and pick 4 or 5 per night as opposed to all of them.
WOWY SHOULD BE ON ITS LAST CHANCE:We all still love it, but the band should give Bono a few more shows to sing it right or lose it for the entire tour. I watched the video of last night, and Bono IS the problem here. Edge and Adam still play it very well, Larry still pounds away and does most of the fills, ETC. Macphisto got a hold of this and it has been crap since, absent a few inspired versions on Vertigo tour. Time for Please or Stay or something else that INTERESTS BONO. It is clear that, after singing ultraviolet so well just before it, he just does not care about this and so goes through the motions, even if he could pull out a JT version if he really wanted to.

Those who think this set is perfect and no one should point out areas to improve are wrong.

Those who are complaining like this is the end of U2, they are mailing it in and boring now are equally wrong.

The shows have been great, a few adjustments and they can be even better.

Just some observations, only 4 shows and plenty of time to get it right!

Great post.:up:

U2387 makes a lot of good points....

Using my GF as a barometer. She only got into the band 2004 (when we met lol). Apart from the obvious songs she only really knows the last 3 albums. We went to 2 Vertigo shows (MSG and Barca) together and she was overwhelmed by how good they were.
Went to Barca this time and she 'enjoyed' it, but the wow factor was not there.
This show has far superior staging than (stadiumj)Vertigo imo. The potential is there for outstanding shows.
They are driving a ferrari in 2nd gear

But why is it that when someone doesnt like something, they always want it changing just because they do not like it?, you could change it for something you do like, but then there will be another couple of people who dont like it that way, its a no win situation, i have seen people call these the best shows they have seen, and i have seen people call them not the best shows, but the fact is this happens every tour, U2 simply cannot please everybody, what works for you doesnt always work for someone else.

The minute I see one of these the rest of the post reads "blah blah blah" to me, because it's just not realistic. I'd love them to play Like a Song, Wire, and Hawkmoon...but if I posted endlessly about it I'd be called out as a fool, and rightfully so. Sadly Acrobat isn't walking through that door.

For some reason, every so often you type a response that is exactly what I would write. I mean, exactly. :up:

But why is it that when someone doesnt like something, they always want it changing just because they do not like it?, you could change it for something you do like, but then there will be another couple of people who dont like it that way, its a no win situation, i have seen people call these the best shows they have seen, and i have seen people call them not the best shows, but the fact is this happens every tour, U2 simply cannot please everybody, what works for you doesnt always work for someone else.

But i really dont think its 'just the songs'. There are few u2 songs i dislike, certainly live anyhow.
Perhaps the people who say they are the best shows havent seen U2 before?
Im not basing my opinion particularly on my 'personal favourites'. Any other tour since 87 i would have no argument on which tour someone said was their favourite, except this one. Yet potentially it could should be their best.

Ive seen about 25 U2 shows since J.Tree and never felt a bit disappointed except for this one.

Perhaps Im just trying to understand why?

At the end of the day people like what they like, thats what makes us all different, of course there will be fans who found this to be their best show ever, and some wont, thats just the way it is.

Ive seen about 25 U2 shows since J.Tree and never felt a bit disappointed except for this one.

Perhaps Im just trying to understand why?

Kevin not trying to pick your point apart but have you actually seen a show this tour yet? I'm coming late to the discussion..but at any rate that might be your answer right there...you are comparing what you remember about past shows you saw live and in person to what you've not yet seen from this tour? Do you really think you'll walk out feeling disappointed when you finally do see them this tour?

Also, let's not forget that for JT, LT, ZOO and maybe even Pop, there is no way you could have had as much info about every aspect of the show as you are able to know about this tour...if you see what I mean?

Ah! ok! :up:

Although...surely my second paragraph makes a bit of sense...compare arriving at the Zoo tour with almost no real knowledge of what was going to happen vs arriving in Barcelona...it's pretty much incomparable, I think if The Claw had been dropped on us in 1989 we would have died on the spot :lol:

:shrug:

Kevin not trying to pick your point apart but have you actually seen a show this tour yet? I'm coming late to the discussion..but at any rate that might be your answer right there...you are comparing what you remember about past shows you saw live and in person to what you've not yet seen from this tour? Do you really think you'll walk out feeling disappointed when you finally do see them this tour?

Also, let's not forget that for JT, LT, ZOO and maybe even Pop, there is no way you could have had as much info about every aspect of the show as you are able to know about this tour...if you see what I mean?

I went to both Barca shows.
Pop i saw 4 times and the best one was the last one i went to (Leeds)
Vertigo ditto (Barca)

So i dont think its that.
I have had if anything the least info for these shows

Perhaps if anything expectations were TOO high?

You can always expect to much, you go in with your mind being set that it will be the best thing you have ever seen and then it just ends up normal, i always go to a concert no matter who it is, just knowing i am going to have a great night.

Then again, maybe he's just genuinely disappointed, I won't argue with that.

Rosebud (i think?) was there also and she wasn't.

Everyone's different and anything can affect how you see something.

Well I think it would be great if they expanded the set list from 22 to 24 songs to 28 to 30 songs and changed the set list every night. I mean they are professional musicians that have been together for 30 years and should know the music inside and out. I mean people are paying $250.00 per ticket which where I come from is alot of money. Do tickets have to be expensive? I may get crucified for this but I'm not a big fan of elaborate stage get ups as well. Isnt it supposed to be about the music? Would tickets be cheaper if they didnt have such an elaborate stage get up?

I loved the Joshua Tree tour when it was just 4 guys walking on stage and playing. Also it seems and you can check with any internet setlist page is that U2's set list hardly ever varies and that for every tour every show the setlist is the same night in and night out. For Vertigo I saw them in May and in October same 22 songs both nights. People who are shelling out big bucks desereve more. I dont think that these multi millionaire artists understand what it takes for a fan to scrape up money to go to one of their shows.

I love U2 and think they are one of the greatest bands ever but sadly anymore I think their shows are an event rather than just about the music.

That's why U2 shows are amazing: they're not just about the music, they are indeed an event.

Well I think it would be great if they expanded the set list from 22 to 24 songs to 28 to 30 songs and changed the set list every night.

As a Bruce fan I know where you are coming from, but honestly he's a rarity. Even younger bands don't play that long, I've had to play 3 hour shows before and no matter how well you take care of yourself they're exhausting and can really wear on your vocals.

Using a sports analogy:

I liken Bruce to an NHL game and U2 to an NBA game. The NHL is the nuts and bolts of sports to me and the NBA is the package, the show, the game is just a (big) part of the overall entertainment.

I always chuckle to recall what people I know who are NBA fans say after they go to their first NHL game: I didn't know it could be so much fun and exciting. And likewise, people who have never been to an NBA game say: Wow, it was faster paced than I imagined and a hell of alot of fun and a real show.

Then again, maybe he's just genuinely disappointed, I won't argue with that.

Rosebud (i think?) was there also and she wasn't.

Everyone's different and anything can affect how you see something.

It was me that was there, and you're right, I wasn't disappointed. In fact I was listening to the 6/30 boot again today and it I actually got emotional remembering the different great moments of that first show, (even Edge's masacre of the UC solo :lol: )

Using a sports analogy:

I liken Bruce to an NHL game and U2 to an NBA game. The NHL is the nuts and bolts of sports to me and the NBA is the package, the show, the game is just a (big) part of the overall entertainment.

I always chuckle to recall what people I know who are NBA fans say after they go to their first NHL game: I didn't know it could be so much fun and exciting. And likewise, people who have never been to an NBA game say: Wow, it was faster paced than I imagined and a hell of alot of fun and a real show.

Awesome Post.

Using a sports analogy:

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! WOW - SO TRUE!! :applaud:

It is their show, and if they think it is right, then your point is invalid. Also, 4 shows in... Is anyone actually comprehending that??? FOUR SHOWS!!! Give them more than 5 minutes to work the show out.

You people are so impetuous!
They make the show, but I am entitled of making criticism and of evaluate what I see since:
1) I'm a fan, but not a blindsheep;
2) I'm a viewer, and the role of the viewer of a cultural object is to evaluate every possible vision of that object;
3) Part of my professional formation is on the cultural area.

Plus... For instance, I'm an appreciator of what Madonna does with her shows (extremly conceptualised and well structured), but I'm not afraid to say that her last tour, Sticky And Sweet, is a recycling process of the same old ideas of the last tours and that reflects in the setlist, in the structure, in the concept itself and it tires.

I'm sick and tired of some of the cry babies over here. U2 can't please everyone. ''U2 should do this or that''. UF, Ultraviolet, Electrical Storm....very boring indeed....:lol:
It's not a question of being cry baby, for God's sake!

We're fans, but we're viewers and we're consumers. And, like it or not, U2 is a product and there are expectations by our side.
I, as a viewer and as a fan of a highly (on the Top of the world) pop rock act that's well paid, demand that the concept of the show is fullfilled and well executed.

We have a great album they're basing on (NLOTH), the stage design is amazing, Bono's voice is better than ever, I applaude the return/debut of rare songs... but that's all.
U2 seems un-rehearsed on few tracks during these first shows, we had a great song as a poor opener, the setlist has no surprise in its structure, we have an odd Crazy Tonight remix (that could've been the basis ofv a new song, I insist!!!) in the middle of the setlist and out of place, and the concept of this tour is no more than a recycle of the ideas of the last tours. NLOTH seemed to promise miles much more: that's why I call this tour a disappontment!

I'm sick and tired of some of the cry babies over here. U2 can't please everyone. ''U2 should do this or that''. UF, Ultraviolet, Electrical Storm....very boring indeed....:lol:

Then don't read a thread with a title of "not impressed with the setlist". What did you expect to find in here??? :shrug: ;)

I guess I have sort of complained and I'm usually an adamant non setlist bitcher. I guess for my personal taste (and from what many others have said) my only issue is really the opening song. It just doesn't work for me and apparantly a lot of other people. It is U2's show and they get to pick obviously but I simply think Breathe is a poor pick and I don't understand at all what they are thinking. They need to start the show blowing the crowd away like most prior tours. Breathe does not accomplish that to me. I do like the song, it just should not open.

From the static perspective, I predicted it from the get go and I did not and do not have a problem with it. My issue is more of the flow of the setlist. It just doesn't seem to at this point. I think there is still a chance it could morph a little as they get into a groove and hopefully that will solve it.

I say all of this from the perspective that I have not seen it in person yet and I know that can make a difference. So maybe my thoughts will change. I hope so! I am still looking forward to the shows. I just remember on prior tours even when I saw the static setlist that was forming typically I would feel like the order worked even if it was pretty set in stone. I don't get that vibe from this setlist. It could be just a few of us, but from what I have read there are a lot of people getting the same vibe. I have never expected them to break out Acrobat or some other obscure song and I never will. I just think they need to do some tweaking, primarily the opening song. Thats it. :)

Breathe is their worst choice of opener ever.

Fez Being Born would have been total kick-ass as an opener.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom