Not impressed by the set-list!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
if anyone wants a surprising setlist, don't go to a U2 show. Go Sonic Youth. U2 are a tired greatest hits roadshow, the new Rolling Stones.

Oh yeah, forgot the Stones played more than half A Bigger Bang last tour, thanks for remembering.
Also, more than 1/3 of their set are songs from their latest years, forgot about that too...

Even though there are very different opinions expressed by people in this thread, I have to say there is something I agree with in what everyone is saying here.

My observations: THE GOOD
1.)Overall, I am not bitching. U2 is back on tour for the first time since 2006, and just 3 shows in, everyone is on top of their game and Bono is sounding great. UF and UV are back, and Electrical storm is finally in the set! I would say if you had constructed a super thread/poll of what songs interference wants back, everyone pick 3, then UF, UV, and ES could have easily won. Things have been mixed up to some extent, Angel, Party girl, stuck, Desire, Electrical storm, in a little while, etc. The claw looks great, everyone in attendance seems to be having a great time, the PA system is enormous and sounds great even with crappy bootlegs.
2.)WHAT COULD IMPROVE? THE OPENER: no suprises here, like many, I think Breathe is a great song but just not as an opener. A U2 stadium show is about a massive build up to a massive opening, lights flashing, visuals, etc- just look at your Sydney Zoo TV or Popmart Mexico DVDs. Something is missing here, and its noticeable given the stage design, there is just so much more they could do. I think the best bet would be to have some kind of intro video like Zoo TV, use the claw lights, etc, then segue that into the opening they were using for Boots on the tv appearances. GOYB then goes into Even Better than the real thing or a FULL BAND LOVETOWN VERSION of Desire. Then NLOTH. That would add some pop to the opening. As it is now, it just lacks energy.
THIS SETLIST IS TOO STRUCTURED: There is the usual open with 3 rockers, then a couple of uplifting anthems(Magnificent, BD) then Still Havent found, then a few spots that are rotated nightly, usually songs like Angel or in a little while or a neutered version of Desire(Elevation tour anyone?). Now a new song(UC), a well liked recent cut(COBL), a resurrected classic(UF),a new song(CT remix) then SBS starts a long list of political songs that ends with the main set at One(Vertigo tour anyone?). Then we are back for a short encore of UV(great!), then a boring WOWY(Elevation style this time, it really needs a rest and has been a disappointment on 360 so far- where the hell is the Tokyo 2006 version, Bono??). MOS is a good closer. This setlist suffers from being so structured- you really cant find a place for a songs like Dirty Day, Exit, Gone, LNOE and Please. If you replace one of the songs in the long political set, you lose the flow. Please would fit where SBS is some nights, but then again, why take out a rocker when that is what this set has lacked? Time to abandon the Elevation/Vertigo structure in favor of a JT/Lovetown approach. Walk on, Desmond>>Streets makes the political point that is part of U2 that I love, they dont need SBS, Pride, MLK, One all in the same order every night. How about Silver and Gold sometimes?
MORE UPBEAT SONGS TO GO WITH THE CLAW/VISUALS:UF and UV, great for the atmosphere, no complaints about these. However, the claw just screams for songs like Hold me thrill me..., LNOE, EBTTRT, full band Desire(360 version sucks), MW, MOFO, Holy Joe. No need for an arena setlist in a stadium.
ROTATION IS THE NAME OF THE GAME: One, Pride, SBS, BD, COBL, Vertigo, Still havent found- still love hearing all of these. However, no need for them all to be in the setlist together every single night. Make a list of the hit parade, and pick 4 or 5 per night as opposed to all of them.
WOWY SHOULD BE ON ITS LAST CHANCE:We all still love it, but the band should give Bono a few more shows to sing it right or lose it for the entire tour. I watched the video of last night, and Bono IS the problem here. Edge and Adam still play it very well, Larry still pounds away and does most of the fills, ETC. Macphisto got a hold of this and it has been crap since, absent a few inspired versions on Vertigo tour. Time for Please or Stay or something else that INTERESTS BONO. It is clear that, after singing ultraviolet so well just before it, he just does not care about this and so goes through the motions, even if he could pull out a JT version if he really wanted to.

Those who think this set is perfect and no one should point out areas to improve are wrong.

Those who are complaining like this is the end of U2, they are mailing it in and boring now are equally wrong.

The shows have been great, a few adjustments and they can be even better.

Just some observations, only 4 shows and plenty of time to get it right!

any of the whingers, answer me honestly:

Were you at the shows?

And even if you were, did you enjoy them?

Contrary to what most of you feel you should be entitled to as U2 fans sitting at home skulking for bootlegs, U2 are a band that (admirably) cater to every fan in the stadium (key point in the stadium, the ones who paid the money, bought the ticket and the tshirt, and took the effort to see the band). I guarentee 90% of those in the stadium want to hear Pride and One.

I was sick of seeing One and Pride in the set on the vertigo tour, and then when I saw my first U2 show ever in Sydney, fuck I was happy they were in there.

TBH, U2 don't give a shit what people following setlist parties want to hear. They play what they feel is the best show they can give the crowd who are in the stadium at the time.

And 4 shows into a tour is incredibly premature to be complaining.

AS IT IS, we have seen Electrical Storm, Unforgettable Fire, Ultraviolet - these are sons none of us thought they would ever play again. THESE are the songs that most of us demanded them play, AND THEY ARE PLAYING THEM. This is the part of the set that pleases the diehards. But there are more people who paid their money that want to hear Beautiful Day than TUF.

I've got a solution for you all... Don't go to the shows. They are already boring for you, so spare the people that have to be next to you at the shows by not going

good post u2387, agree with most of this. I'd say that the show at the moment lacks a concept, but it's still very early days..

I also think they could make so so much more of NLOTH (song)...

BVS touched on it before. Most of the complaints come because personally want to see other songs.

You all need to gain some perspective. You need to see the world through someone else's eyes, someone going to their first U2 show, or someone who Pride or One are their favourite songs. U2 know that these songs are their biggest crowd pleasers, and always play them because it would upset more people for them not to than it would if they did play them.

MORE UPBEAT SONGS TO GO WITH THE CLAW/VISUALS:UF and UV, great for the atmosphere, no complaints about these. However, the claw just screams for songs like Hold me thrill me..., LNOE, EBTTRT, full band Desire(360 version sucks), MW, MOFO, Holy Joe. No need for an arena setlist in a stadium.
ROTATION IS THE NAME OF THE GAME: One, Pride, SBS, BD, COBL, Vertigo, Still havent found- still love hearing all of these. However, no need for them all to be in the setlist together every single night. Make a list of the hit parade, and pick 4 or 5 per night as opposed to all of them.

I completely agree

Those who think this set is perfect and no one should point out areas to improve are wrong.

Wrong. Noone ha the right to point them out unless they are at the show. I don't think the setlist is perfect, but I acknowledge that no-one has the right to decide what it is best for the band to play to any particular crowd on any particular night. Peple are selfish and just want good bootlegs every night.

any of the whingers, answer me honestly:

Were you at the shows?

And even if you were, did you enjoy them?

Contrary to what most of you feel you should be entitled to as U2 fans sitting at home skulking for bootlegs, U2 are a band that (admirably) cater to every fan in the stadium (key point in the stadium, the ones who paid the money, bought the ticket and the tshirt, and took the effort to see the band). I guarentee 90% of those in the stadium want to hear Pride and One.

I was sick of seeing One and Pride in the set on the vertigo tour, and then when I saw my first U2 show ever in Sydney, fuck I was happy they were in there.

TBH, U2 don't give a shit what people following setlist parties want to hear. They play what they feel is the best show they can give the crowd who are in the stadium at the time.

And 4 shows into a tour is incredibly premature to be complaining.

AS IT IS, we have seen Electrical Storm, Unforgettable Fire, Ultraviolet - these are sons none of us thought they would ever play again. THESE are the songs that most of us demanded them play, AND THEY ARE PLAYING THEM. This is the part of the set that pleases the diehards. But there are more people who paid their money that want to hear Beautiful Day than TUF.

I've got a solution for you all... Don't go to the shows. They are already boring for you, so spare the people that have to be next to you at the shows by not going

this.

I'd rather hear an unplayed song (anything from POP or Zooropa) than a tired one (WOWY, SBS)

I'm impressed by the setlists so far but then again I usually am...no I haven't gone to any shows yet.

Sure there are one or two songs I wish they would retire for awhile but at the same time I understand why they are played.
Will I enjoy myself when I do see them play yes!...will I whine and complain..No! will I whine the second night if the setlist is the same No!...why? because its just fun and amazing for me to be able to see U2 play at all live!...and I am so darn thrilled they are touring again...and think of the hundreds..or thousands..or maybe millions of fans who won't see them, or haven't seem play live...do you think they would care what they played if they got a chance to see them live?...probably not.

Anyways like someone said we are never going to get the perfect setlist for everyone thats life..be happy we get what we get I say, and sit back and enjoy the music...and go to the concert and be happy you are there...just my 2 cents :)

The setlist isn't rocking.... Need more Fly, MW, EBTTRT, DD, Gone, ZooStation, LNOE, LAPOE, NYD, IWF, GLORIA...

I'm sorry by BD, One ISHFWILF,etc.. are on the poppy side of U2, I want the rocking side of U2 when I go to a show, a rock show...

But I'll still have fun anyway :crack:

The show lacks big rockers

Ive been, i enjoyed it, but not as much as i should have/thought i would

Best audience response all night = Vertigo, best for a NLOTH song = Boots

They are playing to the most fanatical audiences at the moment (imo) and may be getting a false impression?

ther should be 2 encores... the last one being the usual

and the first one...

Pop Musik intro
Discotheque
Crazy Tonight (remix)
Vertigo

how many shows do you guys go to? as far as i can tell most of us haven't seen the band live in at least 3 or 4 years and you're tired of SBS and WOWY already? the only reason that comes close to making any sense as to why you'd be tired of these songs is cause you're playing them to death, not the band, they havent played them in 3 years, and..we're three shows deep and so far we've gotten Ultraviolet, UF, Party Girl, Electrical Storm.. why is it so hard to understand..they will always..ALWAYS.play one, sbs, streets, pride, wowy, christ they're resting NYD for the first time in decades, get over yourselfs and stop thinking you know that's best for the band cause at the end of the 79,999 people are gonna be going ballistic in your city when the opening beats of Sunday Bloody Sunday start and you'll be the whiner rolling your eyes.. i guarentee that by the time the tour hits america the set will look very very different, the band is still getting their feet wet, give em time to steady the ship before they paint it a different color.

How many people are judging the set-list based on the blue screens of interference as against actually seeing the show? For all the "too mellow" complaints I can guarantee it did not feel like that opening night in Barcelona.

I'd rather hear an unplayed song (anything from POP or Zooropa) than a tired one (WOWY, SBS)

Case in point. YOU want to hear those songs, but many want WOWY and SBS because they know them.

They are playing to the most fanatical audiences at the moment (imo) and may be getting a false impression?

What do you mean by the "most fanatical" audiences?

how many shows do you guys go to? as far as i can tell most of us haven't seen the band live in at least 3 or 4 years and you're tired of SBS and WOWY already? the only reason that comes close to making any sense as to why you'd be tired of these songs is cause you're playing them to death, not the band, they havent played them in 3 years, and..we're three shows deep and so far we've gotten Ultraviolet, UF, Party Girl, Electrical Storm.. why is it so hard to understand..they will always..ALWAYS.play one, sbs, streets, pride, wowy, christ they're resting NYD for the first time in decades, get over yourselfs and stop thinking you know that's best for the band cause at the end of the 79,999 people are gonna be going ballistic in your city when the opening beats of Sunday Bloody Sunday start and you'll be the whiner rolling your eyes..

SBS is played too slow and wasnt played for most of the 90s
WOWY - not my favourite song BUT should stay in the set
Pride - Great song but sounds tired now

The above 3 all benefited 'in their prime' from passion, improvisation, crowd participation. The way they are played now are just direct 4minute crowd pleasers
E Storm - One of my favourites but live its a bit of a stadium killer. May improve in time but i have my doubts

Songs like IWF ive heard a billion times but would not tire of hearing

Its not just about 'my favourites'. I can see this show falling a bit flat on its ass in the more reserved markets (UK? USA?)

Case in point. YOU want to hear those songs, but many want WOWY and SBS because they know them.

What do you mean by the "most fanatical" audiences?

Ive seen the band in UK, USA, Spain, France, Holland, Poland, Czech Republic, Ireland over 20+ years.

The Barca crowd this time round was nothing compared to Vertigo tour
Never seen them in Italy but i think its similar to Spain in terms of feverishness(?). The 2 Eastern European shows ive seen come close. UK and USA audiences are far more reserved in my experience:shrug:

I had a blast at both shows in Barcelona. I was satisfied with not hearing Bullet (I doubt most of the people at these two shows missed this song) The crowd went crazy for Pride, ISHFWILF, WOWY and One. I've seen U2 live about 100 times and it didn't bother me to hear these songs again because it caused the majority of the crowd to get excited.

I was happy because I heard a few great songs I hadn't heard live in person for over 10 years (UF, MLK and UV) and another 8 I had never heard live before (the NLOTH songs + ES).

U2 isn't playing these shows for the trainspotters on the internet.

:shrug:

Ive seen the band in UK, USA, Spain, France, Holland, Poland, Czech Republic, Ireland over 20+ years.

The Barca crowd this time round was nothing compared to Vertigo tour
Never seen them in Italy but i think its similar to Spain in terms of feverishness(?). The 2 Eastern European shows ive seen come close. UK and USA audiences are far more reserved in my experience:shrug:

I gotcha... I thought you were trying to say the setlist was catering to the most fanatical, but now I understand.

well i'll scream and cheer just as loud for Sunday Bloody Sunday,as I will for Magnificent.
it's U2 and I've seen them play One and Streets many times.But it's differrent when it's "live" as opposed to your radio,on the radio at least in So Cal they play the same 3-4 songs,
so yeah i can see where it would get boring.But when i hear the intro to Streets at a concert i still get goose bumps,it's a great song.And I can't wait to hear it again.

I had a blast at both shows in Barcelona. I was satisfied with not hearing Bullet (I doubt most of the people at these two shows missed this song) The crowd went crazy for Pride, ISHFWILF, WOWY and One. I've seen U2 live about 100 times and it didn't bother me to hear these songs again because it caused the majority of the crowd to get excited.

I was happy because I heard a few great songs I hadn't heard live in person for over 10 years (UF, MLK and UV) and another 8 I had never heard live before (the NLOTH songs + ES).

U2 isn't playing these shows for the trainspotters on the internet.

:shrug:

Ramblin, I know you went to Barca in 2005 as well. Do you really think the crowd this time was as 'into it','pumped' whatever you want to call it?

I thought the Vertigo Barca show was THE best show i had ever seen yet i'd already seen the show 3 times.
I thought the shows last week were great and enjoyed them, yet they seemed to lack 'something'. I dont think it was just early in the tour type 'something' though

btw i think NLOTH >>>> HTDAAB

We should really have a "One and Only Official Setlist Bitchfest Thread" and move all of the bitching into one thread I can ignore :)

Aw you've been busy. Most of those are not exactly the same though. It would be a big merge mess.

I can however merge any new threads bitching about the set list into this thread in the future. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom