Not impressed by the set-list!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:shrug:
And that's U2's fault.

that is childish BVS, quoting just a part of a sentence. You know what I mean. They have a FANTASTIC cataloque of songs and it wouldnt be a bad thing to change the setlist more. It is not like they have a concept going on with this tour (on the contruary I would say). The Claw seems underused, Bono seems not to be interested in getting a proper version of WOWY and One for instance so why not mix it up more and I am not talking about an accoustic version of Desire or something like that. Keep it fresh for the audience but esp for yourself as a band. It is not a surprise that the two stand out tracks thusfar are UF and UV. They can change quickly. It has nothing to do with production or lights, just effort,nothing more nothing less

No. But they should perhaps bear it in mind

They should bear in mind the small percentage that can't control themselves or may see more than one show? Should PJ bear in mind the small percentage of casual fans and play more mainstream set lists?

that is childish BVS, quoting just a part of a sentence. You know what I mean. They have a FANTASTIC cataloque of songs and it wouldnt be a bad thing to change the setlist more.

Of course I know what you mean, no one is denying they have a fantastic catalogue. But some of you keep ignoring the fact that this is just the type of show U2 wants to put on. IT'S BEEN THIS WAY SINCE JT. It's a show. It's not just a random collection of back catalogue. They like playing WOWY, it gets a whole stadium singing back to them. This is the type of show they like, I don't know why anyone expects for them to be like Springsteen all of a sudden and decades...

They should bear in mind the small percentage that can't control themselves or may see more than one show?

Actually yes i do and they should consider the thousands who will follow the tour and not(be able to?) see a show.

Now there's an interesting response. So they should think about all those that read setlist and vary it up so they will get more pleasure READING setlists...

I've heard it all. :lol:

Perhaps think about it before dismissing it outta hand. Its not as daft as it seems....

I'm sorry, I don't think that makes much sense.

Why would a band structure its concerts around fans that aren't going to even see the concerts, rather than for the fans they can at least reasonably assume will be there? A concert is built for the attendees, not the armchair quarterbacks.

That's not to say, of course, that they couldn't or shouldn't vary their setlists more, but the point still stands that U2 have been doing fairly static setlists for many tours now, so it's a little strange that people get so irritated when a new tour starts, and by gum, they aren't changing their setlist that much from night to night.

I'm sorry, I don't think that makes much sense.

Why would a band structure its concerts around fans that aren't going to even see the concerts, rather than for the fans they can at least reasonably assume will be there? A concert is built for the attendees, not the armchair quarterbacks.

Theres nothing quite like going to a concert. But what about the thousands who cant afford to travel to Europe/US every 4years and may 'follow' a tour online? Are you telling me if U2 opened in Nice tomorrow with 'Mofo' you wouldnt get a bit of a tingle? Thus sustaining your interest in the next show and then the next etc etc, keeping your interest in the band and perhaps thinking 'yes, next tour i will do my utmost to go'?

Just look at the setlist parties (i know we are only talking about a handful of hardcore fans here) but the interest this tour wanes when Unknown Caller starts as the rest is (at the moment) pretty much set.But boy does the excitement level raise when something different happens

Kissing the future, Selling gigs offically online. More varied setlists=multiple purchases=more $$$

Im just sort of throwing this out there for discussion....

Yeah, I'd be thrilled if they opened a show with Mofo. And I'd be bummed if I weren't there in person to experience it.

But don't even ask me what I think the odds are of U2 opening any concert with a song not from their current album. :wink:

Yeah, it sucks that so many fans aren't able to see U2 due to money, location, broken legs, whatever. If that were me, however, I would never expect them to start catering their concerts to suit my needs and wants, though.

If they don't start bringing more variety to their setlists, I do not believe that very many U2 fans, given the opportunity (i.e., having the money, being near a show, being able to get a ticket) would decide not to go see them because "eh, they'll be playing the same songs on all the shows, so I'm not going to go at all."

People are still going to see U2 in concert given the chance, whether or not they pore over 1500 setlists or whether they have no idea what they're going to play. Because a) they love U2; b) they're pretty darned sure it's going to be a great show no matter what they play.

I get rather bored reading the argument "oh well U2 has always done the hits live, therefore why should you expect them to change?" Here's a reason- they've now done more albums, which ought to put more pressure on them to mix things up far more. Yes, the band should play some staples but if they did stuff like EBTTRT nad Discotheque they might be pleasantly surprised by the positive reaction.

Just look at the setlist parties (i know we are only talking about a handful of hardcore fans here) but the interest this tour wanes when Unknown Caller starts as the rest is (at the moment) pretty much set.But boy does the excitement level raise when something different happens
Like when Plebans take over set list party like on Sunday and the special brownies are served! :D:wave:

But if you planned on going to 1 concert this tour, say Barcelona.Then as the tour progressed the set kept getting mixed up, would you not be more tempted to try go again?

I get rather bored reading the argument "oh well U2 has always done the hits live, therefore why should you expect them to change?" Here's a reason- they've now done more albums, which ought to put more pressure on them to mix things up far more. Yes, the band should play some staples but if they did stuff like EBTTRT nad Discotheque they might be pleasantly surprised by the positive reaction.

Good point. Its no good saying the War Tour had a static setlist. They had little choice

I can't agree with you more.

So the general consensus from this thread, and in on most other U2 forums on the net, is that people want to hear more casual fan hits off Achtung Baby over Joshua Tree.....and the boys should drop WOWY.

The WOWY thing is just me, not the general consensus.

They should bear in mind the small percentage that can't control themselves or may see more than one show? Should PJ bear in mind the small percentage of casual fans and play more mainstream set lists?

Of course I know what you mean, no one is denying they have a fantastic catalogue. But some of you keep ignoring the fact that this is just the type of show U2 wants to put on. IT'S BEEN THIS WAY SINCE JT. It's a show. It's not just a random collection of back catalogue. They like playing WOWY, it gets a whole stadium singing back to them. This is the type of show they like, I don't know why anyone expects for them to be like Springsteen all of a sudden and decades...

I really don't think anyone on this board actually expects a Springsteen type experience, and if they do, well they are delusional. Everyone here knows exactly what kind of a band U2 is and I think most here acknowledge and are not "ignoring" that the current format is the type of show of U2 obviously wants to perform. Alot of people on this board are simply expressing that they would like to see some variety.

I really don't think anyone on this board actually expects a Springsteen type experience, and if they do, well they are delusional. Everyone here knows exactly what kind of a band U2 is and I think most here acknowledge and are not "ignoring" that the current format is the type of show of U2 obviously wants to perform. Alot of people on this board are simply expressing that they would like to see some variety.
Exactly. We're not asking for Springsteen - hell, the setlist could even stay static, or have the same structure, if you catch my drift. It's just criminal that there's brilliant songs out there that aren't being played, when they easily could.

having defended u2 earlier - by which i mean saying i don't like static setlists and they shouldn't do it but they always have so don't expect change etc, i will say that on paper the setlists are starting to get pathetic even for u2.

Well then you aren't reading everyone's posts. I've seen at least two references to Bruce as far as length and variation in just this thread alone, not counting the other 100 or so outside this thread. Yes they are delusional, but we're dealing with a lot of delusional people in this forum...:wink:

the bruce comparison is poor.

how about crowded house? when they go on the road the sets are usually as long as u2, and they do have significantly fewer albums and more reasons to play shorter shows.

come on people, research.

having defended u2 earlier - by which i mean saying i don't like static setlists and they shouldn't do it but they always have so don't expect change etc, i will say that on paper the setlists are starting to get pathetic even for u2.

I'm sorry dude, but, you need to attend a show, and see 75,000 people going berserk for songs you are bored of, and maybe then weigh in on the set lists. We represent a tiny minority.

I think the people on this forum have no perspective whatsoever and that leads to threads like this. Sure, I could craft a 23 song set list that includes not one song played this tour so far, and it would be an amazing show....but I can also draw pictures of a horse with wings on it but that does not mean a fucking pegasus is going to show on up at my doorstep any time soon.

When you find yourself complaining about a thing more than you compliment it, maybe it's time to divest yourself of the source of your complaints.

And for anyone that thinks U2 should waste one second of thought on people that follow the tour via internet only, sorry, you have lost touch with reality.

Hey, it's good to be back on interference!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom