Not Impressed By Fans Who U2 Are Not Impressed With But Cater To - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > U2 360° Tour Central - 2009 / 2010 / 2011 Archive > Set Lists & Songs
Click Here to Login

Old 07-26-2009, 01:31 AM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 08:19 PM
Not Impressed By Fans Who U2 Are Not Impressed With But Cater To

Fans are not digging The Unforgettable Fire and Ultraviolet? But there's a big welcome for Vertigo, Boots, and Stuck?

This thing is just too much too figure out. What is u2's audience made up of these days anyway? Catch on fans from the last few years? Where's the 20+years crowd at these shows?

To try and fathom that Vertigo, Boots, and Elevation are crowd pleasers but UF, or Ultraviolet is not is just flat out ridiculous.

*Not impressed with those not impressed but U2 continues to impress.*

Old 07-26-2009, 02:54 AM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:19 PM
OK, you can't be serious. I consider myself a big big U2 fan and I love those guys. But I won't let anyone on a fan forum or anywhere else tell me which songs I have to like or if I'm less a fan if I like certain songs and don't like others. That's just so arrogant and ridiculous. Thank God there are enough other fans out there who don't think that way. I've met a lot of new fans out there, people who haven't followed U2 for 25 years, and they were the nicest, sweetest and, yes, most enthusiastic people I've met. They have a passion of U2's music that I'm missing with many long term fans these days.

Your post is very insulting, to me personally, and I really hope it doesn't reflect the majority's view here, because this would be very disappointing.

And guess what, I think Ultraviolet is a meh song. Sorry, I just cannot get myself to like it.

Old 07-26-2009, 08:17 AM   #3
you are what you is

Local Time: 10:19 PM
I don't think people do not dig Unforgettable Fire or Ultra Violet
it's just that Unforgettable Fire (though one of my favourite songs) suits listening to in your living room slightly more than as a kick arse concert experience
I don't think many people rate Ultra Violet in the top half of Achtung Baby (album or live)
so not many go wild for it either no

bit of a side note perhaps, but I see a lot of comments here that U2 should play more faster paced songs
at the same time people complain about them playing Vertigo, Boots, Elevation

if you really are that desperate to hear Even better ..., Gone and Last night on earth then just say so instead of making up rather lame arguements that suit your purpose
and -better yet - just play your POPMart dvd
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 07-26-2009, 09:22 AM   #4
The Fly

I suggest you listen to the Amsterdam 20-7-2009 bootleg. The response to TUF and Ultraviolet before and afterwards gives me goosebumps.
Old 07-26-2009, 09:25 AM   #5
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOFO View Post
Fans are not digging The Unforgettable Fire and Ultraviolet? But there's a big welcome for Vertigo, Boots, and Stuck?

This thing is just too much too figure out. What is u2's audience made up of these days anyway? Catch on fans from the last few years? Where's the 20+years crowd at these shows?

To try and fathom that Vertigo, Boots, and Elevation are crowd pleasers but UF, or Ultraviolet is not is just flat out ridiculous.

*Not impressed with those not impressed but U2 continues to impress.*

The crowd near me were generally quite good last night but the reaction to UV was muted. The average of any given population is not very intelligent or discerning, so prefers Vertigo, Boots, etc.
Old 07-26-2009, 09:27 AM   #6
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by macbookpro View Post
I suggest you listen to the Amsterdam 20-7-2009 bootleg. The response to TUF and Ultraviolet before and afterwards gives me goosebumps.
Dutch audiences are intelligent.
Old 07-26-2009, 09:46 AM   #7
you are what you is

Local Time: 10:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by macbookpro View Post
I was at that show
and it's not like people went for a bathroon break
but in no way was the crowd as involved as with most of the rest of the show
In a little while was another one which just didn't do much
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 07-26-2009, 10:03 AM   #8
The Male

Local Time: 01:19 PM
Have you gone to a show yet? Bootlegs often aim to minimize crowd noise.
Old 07-26-2009, 10:38 AM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I'm basing this on what people here and other forums have said regarding those songs: That UF and UV get a lukewarm response but Boots, Vertigo, and Elevation are the barn burners.

I don't get that. It's as if the audience is primarily those who have listened to U2 since 2000.
Old 07-26-2009, 10:38 AM   #10
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
The crowd near me were generally quite good last night but the reaction to UV was muted. The average of any given population is not very intelligent or discerning, so prefers Vertigo, Boots, etc.
http://www.atu2blog.com/wp-content/u.../music-sat.jpg

OMG WE'RE INTELLECTUAL ELITISTS.
Old 07-26-2009, 10:40 AM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by last unicorn View Post
OK, you can't be serious. I consider myself a big big U2 fan and I love those guys. But I won't let anyone on a fan forum or anywhere else tell me which songs I have to like or if I'm less a fan if I like certain songs and don't like others. That's just so arrogant and ridiculous. Thank God there are enough other fans out there who don't think that way. I've met a lot of new fans out there, people who haven't followed U2 for 25 years, and they were the nicest, sweetest and, yes, most enthusiastic people I've met. They have a passion of U2's music that I'm missing with many long term fans these days.

Your post is very insulting, to me personally, and I really hope it doesn't reflect the majority's view here, because this would be very disappointing.

And guess what, I think Ultraviolet is a meh song. Sorry, I just cannot get myself to like it.

Am I directing my post at YOU?

Jesus....
Old 07-26-2009, 11:01 AM   #12
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOFO View Post
I'm basing this on what people here and other forums have said regarding those songs: That UF and UV get a lukewarm response but Boots, Vertigo, and Elevation are the barn burners.

I don't get that. It's as if the audience is primarily those who have listened to U2 since 2000.
and if they have only got into U2 since 2000 what your issue? Y do you have a problem with people going nuts when they here Vertigo & Boots? Do you honestly think that 90,000 people are gonna nuts over Ultra Voilet? yes i actually love the song but come on the crowd are gonna react to the songs they know
Old 07-26-2009, 11:03 AM   #13
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by last unicorn View Post

It's not a molehill, it's a mountaaaaain.
Old 07-26-2009, 11:21 AM   #14
Ghost of Love

Local Time: 04:19 PM
Guys, there's nothing wrong with an exuberant and/or younger crowd reaction to Boots or Vertigo. I don't really love or listen to those songs and would call UV way closer to the top of my favorites list, but I'd be foolish to deny that these songs will rock the majority of the crowd, and, in turn, me..because everyone, including the band, is feeding off everyone else's energy. When you're onstage, there are songs that you love to perform because you love that song. Then there are still others that you love to perform because of what happens when you perform them...some of them get 'wows' from the hardcores, while yet others bring the whole stadium together and let the show take off.

Having said all that, however...I think Boots, Elevation and Vertigo is a bit much for one show...just my preferences.

http://home.cogeco.ca/~october/images/sheeep.jpg

Don't push this button:

I'm serious, don't!

Old 07-26-2009, 11:29 AM   #15
Refugee

Local Time: 04:19 PM
im not impressed with all these "not impressed" threads