Not Impressed By Fans Who U2 Are Not Impressed With But Cater To

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
"Exit" inspired by Liam O'Flaherty's "The Informer", is not more sophisticated than "a mole digging in a hole"?

ok.

As much as I agree that the current setlist is far too moody, 00s-centric, and unsuited to stage setup, the fact of the matter is that U2 IS playing the upbeat songs, and that's all I can realistically ask for. As much as I despise Elevation and believe U2 are complete dumbasses for almost entirely ignoring the 90s and early 80s (just think of how many great rockers were penned during these periods that could be rotated in...Out Of Control, Electric Co., Gloria, Rejoice, Like A Song, Wire, Even Better Than The Real Thing, The Fly, Dirty Day, HMTMKMKM, Discotheque, Mofo, Last Night On Earth, Gone...), my argument essentially boils down to "I don't care for such and such song" and when that occurs, I keep my mouth shut. I am one man, and my subjective opinion SHOULDN'T be enough to influence anything. However, if they're clearly and objectively not performing very many rockers, and nearly everyone agrees with me on this, that opinion does have greater weight. But now I'm rambling.

In short: U2 has a large group of fans that enjoys (in what my opinion constitutes) slop like Stuck. They SHOULD be catered to. To what extent is debatable. But there's a reason U2 is performing the song: people respond to it. Are they idiots? I don't think that's really your place to decide.

And hey, some of us like the stuff like Elevation and Vertigo, AND the other stuff.

Mind-boggling, I know. Am I an idiot, or a discerning fan? :hmm: Guess I'll never know.

:hi5: Idiots unite!

I'm a little envious of newer fans like floweravalanche, getting to discover some of their back catalogue for the first time.

... assuming she likes it, that is. She might come back in here and announce that it was all disappointing. And if she does ... watch out. :shifty:

:wink:

Come on guys, I am not saying anyone's an idiot for liking a song.

:reads topic:
oh give me a break.

simpsons.gif

...............................^............................^
..............................ME....................THIS THREAD

As much as I agree that the current setlist is far too moody, 00s-centric, and unsuited to stage setup, the fact of the matter is that U2 IS playing the upbeat songs, and that's all I can realistically ask for. As much as I despise Elevation and believe U2 are complete dumbasses for almost entirely ignoring the 90s and early 80s (just think of how many great rockers were penned during these periods that could be rotated in...Out Of Control, Electric Co., Gloria, Rejoice, Like A Song, Wire, Even Better Than The Real Thing, The Fly, Dirty Day, HMTMKMKM, Discotheque, Mofo, Last Night On Earth, Gone...), my argument essentially boils down to "I don't care for such and such song" and when that occurs, I keep my mouth shut. I am one man, and my subjective opinion SHOULDN'T be enough to influence anything. However, if they're clearly and objectively not performing very many rockers, and nearly everyone agrees with me on this, that opinion does have greater weight. But now I'm rambling.

In short: U2 has a large group of fans that enjoys (in what my opinion constitutes) slop like Stuck. They SHOULD be catered to. To what extent is debatable. But there's a reason U2 is performing the song: people respond to it. Are they idiots? I don't think that's really your place to decide.

I wonder if alot of songs from the "Boy" to "The Unforgettable Fire"era will ever be played again. Songs like: A Day Without Me, Gloria, October , Tomorrow, Surrender, A Sort of Homecoming. Alot of hidden gems in there.

I wonder if alot of songs from the "Boy" to "The Unforgettable Fire"era will ever be played again. Songs like: A Day Without Me, Gloria, October , Tomorrow, Surrender, A Sort of Homecoming. Alot of hidden gems in there.

Well, Gloria and ASOH have both been played this decade. I certainly hope we see them both again, perhaps on this tour. As for the rest, I really can't see them playing most of those any time soon. :sad: October, possibly. It was a staple for quite some time. Surrender would be surreal. :lol: I'd love to see the Bono of today belt that one out.

Well, Gloria and ASOH have both been played this decade. I certainly hope we see them both again, perhaps on this tour. As for the rest, I really can't see them playing most of those any time soon. :sad: October, possibly. It was a staple for quite some time. Surrender would be surreal. :lol: I'd love to see the Bono of today belt that one out.

When was a Sort of Homecoming played last? I missed it somehow.

When was a Sort of Homecoming played last? I missed it somehow.

At one of the Slane gigs in 2001. It was a disaster, but my head would have exploded had I been in the audience. :drool:

EDIT: err...yeah, but zwervers2 said. :up:

At one of the Slane gigs in 2001. It was a disaster, but my head would have exploded had I been in the audience. :drool:

EDIT: err...yeah, but zwervers2 said. :up:

Was that the only time it was played during that tour? I dont remember it being common to that tours setlist.

Also I think that even though the casual fan wont recognize it, but with this stage get up Exit would be awesome especially with the GLORIA snippet added in there like Rattle and Hum.

..after reading all the posts I can´t come to the conclusion what the f...:censored: kind of fan I am.

:rolleyes:

I think theres alot of people feeling that way now. I dont think it matters when you started following U2 its awesome that your a fan in the first place.

That being said there are people who love the new stuff from 2000 on. Their are older fans like myself who love the older stuff better. Just wish the band would shake things up a little more.

I thought Vertigo was awesome becuase songwise it really seemed to touch all the bases.

the whole arguement is ridiculous
U2 shouldn't focus on their more recent material -- ummmm, yeah
why do they mostly play hits from their past and not random album tracks -- yes, let us ponder
they should play more uptempo numbers and at the same time axe just about all the uptempo numbers (Elevation, Boots, Vertigo) they play now

really, do me a favour
get some perspective and if you still can't understand why the band play what they play then just get out your old dvd's and enjoy those

i didn't like Saturday's setlist. it really pissed me off. i actually had to walk away from my computer for a second and blow off steam. then i remembered, with Itunes, i can play whatever song i want in any order i want. my day got a lot better after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom