Not Impressed By Fans Who U2 Are Not Impressed With But Cater To

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just another situation where to show that they're never going to please everyone. I mean, here's a band that's been putting out albums and touring - has been successful for almost 30 years. Thirty years! And they've been one of the biggest bands in the world for the vast majority of those 30 years.

You've got all kinds of fans who all want to hear different things. There's no way on god's green earth the band is going to please all their fans, and that's just the way it is.

And what are they suppose to do?

In the 90's the 80's fans want them to cater to them, but guess what? What's the difference?

Doesn't this really come down to a post 2000 U2 sux thread?

No. It doesn't.
They play many GREAT tunes from post 2000: BD, COBL, IALW, WO, etc. Good for them; they should.

The fact that they insist on playing the other tunes just for a crowd reaction is annoying.

Not as many people cheeer for IALW, or WO, but they still play them.

But hey, they must LIKE those tunes like Vertigo and Boots, etc., hell, they wrote them. They probably LOVE them.

Ok cool. The audience is younger and I'm old and "don't get it".
LOL.

Meanwhile, there are so many layers to the music, and lyrics, of UF, and Elevation is there like a deserving tune to be played.

Well, I know I won't win this arguement here....

Just sayin the fanbase is different at the shows.

BTW: I know what's coming:

People are going to say I'm the same fan that in 1992 said The Fly sucks and why don't they play ASOH....

The fact is The Fly owns Vertigo, Boots, and Elevation.

IMO of course.....:crack:

IMO:

Because the material from 1991 and pre deserves a spot, and I don't mean just hits.

This tour is not a retrospective. They aren't retiring YET.
Maybe when they do the final farewell it will be a JT/Zoo TV blow out.
But as the band have said, they are about the future....and they will take the best bits of the past with themtoward the future. Ofcourse they are going to play the songs that get the biggest reactions, they want to entertain people too and that's the majority.
So, if you don't like change, step aside Skippy, and wait for the
farewell tour. Or just get out your Zoo TV dvd and live in the past past. Nothing wrong with that. :hug:

I have no complaints about the setlist. I have a wish set list, certain rarities I wish they'd play, as I'm sure we all do, but I do understand why they choose to play what they do. I think their goal is to satisfy as many people as possible, and I'm good with that (with the provision that if they don't keep TUF and UV, and bring back UC and ES for Toronto, I will cut a bitch).

The one thing I kind of wish they'd done though, is foregone the openers and maybe played for 2 1/2 hours, rather than stick to their usual 2 hour show. That would have opened up at least 5 more spots for songs. Given the size and spectacle of their staging, their ginormous back catalogue, and the price they charged for premium tickets this time around, I think it would have been a good thing. Alas.

Again:

This is not a complain about the setlist thread.

My point is that they are catering to the 2000 and above crowd.

Which is fine, but more people should know their older material.....

....besides the hits.

I get what you're saying, but I also feel that it's the younger fans and the more casual fans who might not know the older material at all or as well who really help to fill up the stadiums. People who were fans from the beginning, the 35+ set are not necessarily the ones who sell out stadiums. Eh, either way, it doesn't bother me.

I can't figure out if your point is that U2 should play their older songs so the people hear/will know them (in which case, this is yet another setlist complaint thread), or if you're annoyed that fans who don't know their older songs are the majority of the crowd.

In which case ... what do you want, to make sure they can answer a U2 song quiz before they buy a ticket?

Again:

This is not a complain about the setlist thread.

My point is that they are catering to the 2000 and above crowd.

Which is fine, but more people should know their older material.....

....besides the hits.

and I thank U2 for catering to those of us who were 10yrs old during ZooTV. My friends and I are finally at an age when we can financially afford to go to multiple shows. I've loved U2 since I was a kid, but I didn't become the fan that I am until ATYCLB, my freshman year in college. Does that make me "less" of a fan because Elevation catapulted me into superfandom? :huh: Besides, those hits simply translate well live. Might as well enjoy it.
Yes, I love how they incorporated Boy into the last tour and its great they're doing the same with TUF but don't look down on the younger fans who don't like UV and do jump around during the upbeat mainstream songs.

Well I'm one of those 2000andUp U2 fans that was when I really got into them, I did hear their music growing up but didn't really know who they were, just heard their songs on the radio then I was introduced to them when I was in middle school through one of my aunts who had been a fan since the beginning and classmates. Maybe it is the younger generation likes the "newer" stuff but you also have people like myself that like the older stuff as well. I like it it all personally. But its whatever rocks you boat really. Why bitch about it? Bitching gets you no where. You like it great! You don't woopie do but dont cramp other people's style for liking what they like. You can't please everyone you know. I personally like UF and UV, even though I'm still learning them and a few other songs. But that is what is great about concerts though you hear the old and the new and toughs that are new get to learn the older stuff etc, get a taste on how the band involved and everything thats the beauty of a live show and music in general.

I personally don't cater to just my 2000andUP albums and hits thank you and If I don't know a particular song I look it up thats the joy of it for me enjoying a band I love and learning about all the different type of styles they have/had and how the have involved etc.

Vintage I too hope ES comes back I really enjoyed the live clip of it I saw a few days ago and would love to hear again.

I also agree with everyone that said they don't give an rats ass, cause I personally don't if I enjoy it thats great! that is all what matters if I have a few that agrees makes it even better but if not to each it own

I agree with VintagePunk that they should at least approach 2 1/2 hours for the show. They'd be able to add a handful more songs, of which a couple would be older, most likely. This shouldn't be too tough, and considering the extravagant erector set they're playing on, a simple enough way to thank all the fans attending.

But it's natural for a band to want to play more recent music. Whether it's considered better or not is moot. I'm not sure why people around you not enjoying the same songs would affect your experience. Obviously, for younger fans, learning a 30 year back catalogue is gonna take some time.

No offense to the ATYCLB + fans; it's awesome you guys are on board and loving the band so much. It does not make you any less of a fan and so forth. No disrespect.

Eh...the thread was suppossed to be about U2 playing more post 2000 material so that the crowd would be more into it, which leads me to believe that most of the crowd is post 2000 etc....

That's all. I would personally like more respect paid, by the band and the audience, to their older material. But that's ok. I know I sound like a 90 year old sitting on his porch here.

I still say UF, UV, and and shitload more tunes are more worthy than Boots, Vertigo, and Elevation. But if you feel the opposite, than cool. That's gonna make your concert experience all the better, no?

Exactly Jofo:up: That made me feel a bet better. Cause I was thinking the totally opposite from you first post, thought you were saying us "newer" fans didn't know much when it came to U2s music and didnt appericate their older stuff but Im good now :)

Well from my understanding most bands do play their newer stuff during the live shows for each tour and threw in a mix off the old here and there but tend to stick with the more recent ones, only because its recent :shrug: now if its a come back band or band that just wants to rock and not make a new album its a different story.

I personally like Boots, Vertigo, and Elevation I just like the harder sounds to them I guess:reject: but that doesn't mean I don't like the other stuff being played.

and no you dont sound like a 90 year old, I totally get your point we all have what we like and what we dont like :)

Now a longer show would kick arse for sure!

Exactly Jofo:up: That made me feel a bet better. Cause I was thinking the totally opposite from you first post, thought you were saying us "newer" fans didn't know much when it came to U2s music and didnt appericate their older stuff but Im good now :)

Well from my understanding most bands do play their newer stuff during the live shows for each tour and threw in a mix off the old here and there but tend to stick with the more recent ones, only because its recent :shrug: now if its a come back band or band that just wants to rock and not make a new album its a different story.

I personally like Boots, Vertigo, and Elevation I just like the harder sounds to them I guess:reject: but that doesn't mean I don't like the other stuff being played.

and no you dont sound like a 90 year old, I totally get your point we all have what we like and what we dont like :)

Well, cool. I'm glad you are getting what I'm saying and are not offended.

However:
When you say you dig the "harder" sounds of Boots, Elevation, and Vertigo, I shiver. Really.
Harder? Try BTBS circa 1993. How about HMTMKMKM? God Part 2? Wire? Gone? LNOE? The Fly? Zoo Station?
EXIT??? That is "harder"...but in an intelligent sophisticated way....

Their back catalogue is full of such great stuff......

The fact that they insist on playing the other tunes just for a crowd reaction is annoying.

I know right. They should totally play the songs that won't get any reaction what so ever, that would be such a cool concert to be a part of right? I big stage, a great band, and crickets...:|

Look just face it, it's a unique position that U2 is in. It could be a lot fucking worse. cough*Rolling Stones*cough

Isn't that what every band strives for?

Not the Avett Brothers.

avett-brothers-copy.jpg

How long have these fucking guys been out of prison?

However:
When you say you dig the "harder" sounds of Boots, Elevation, and Vertigo, I shiver. Really.
Harder? Try BTBS circa 1993. How about HMTMKMKM? God Part 2? Wire? Gone? LNOE? The Fly? Zoo Station?
EXIT??? That is "harder"...but in an intelligent sophisticated way....

Their back catalogue is full of such great stuff......

I'm still learning some of their older stuff, excuse me for being a noobie:reject:
I was only about 5 years old in 1993

Nor do I know any of those codes? for the songs:reject:

I might as well just shut up now I'm just digging myself more and more into a hole:grumpy: :sigh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom