Not Impressed By Fans Who U2 Are Not Impressed With But Cater To

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
For what it's worth (probably not much)...

Some of my favorite songs are So Cruel, Playboy Mansion, Kite, Wild Honey. Not exactly songs they play too often. Songs like Streets, Vertigo, Elevation etc are not necessarily my favorites but there's something about those types of songs that really appeal to the social aspect of going to a concert - the sing-and-dance-along aspect. I don't know if it's how the songs are constructed (the keys they're made up, etc); all I know is they really get people, myself included, going. And I think that's great. And there's absolutely no reason to criticise people for appreciating those kind of songs. I am glad to be fan of a band who is capable of being so unique at both catering for the masses but at the same time not being afraid of experimenting and coming up with more 'difficult' songs.

oh, and by the way approximately one third of the current set list are songs from the 80's, which is actually quite a lot, considering they're a forward thinking band who surely would like to play more of their recent songs.

there's something about those types of songs that really appeal to the social aspect of going to a concert - the sing-and-dance-along aspect.

Yes, absolutely. I know there have been comments in various threads about not caring/not liking when thousands of people are singing along, but that's what MAKES a rock concert for me. It's a shared experience, chock full o' joy.

What's not to love? ... aside from that out-of-tune guy next to you. :wink:

I always take comfort in the fact that I can almost always out-sing That Guy, so I don't have to listen to him. :wink:

I'm a massive UF fan (I'm old!) and it was fantastic live on Saturday but it's not a song that's going to have the crowd going apeshit.. that doesn't mean they not really into it though..

One thing Saturday reminded me is that if we had a whole show of 'go apeshit' songs like SBS, Vertigo, Streets I'd need an ambulance to carry me off before the encore!! Having a breather is essential.

the whole arguement is ridiculous
U2 shouldn't focus on their more recent material -- ummmm, yeah
why do they mostly play hits from their past and not random album tracks -- yes, let us ponder
they should play more uptempo numbers and at the same time axe just about all the uptempo numbers (Elevation, Boots, Vertigo) they play now

really, do me a favour
get some perspective and if you still can't understand why the band play what they play then just get out your old dvd's and enjoy those

No one is suggesting U2 simply axe the recent uptempo hits. When you have a catalogue as impressive as U2's, it is entirely possible to perform some of them while exchanging the others for older rockers (Electric Co., Gloria, The Fly, Gone, etc.) that may be the preference of someone else in the crowd. You don't have to perform the same three rockers every single night without exception. Unfortunately, U2 seems to disagree.

oh I fully agree
it's just that people here would on top of that replace Sunday Bloody Sunday by LNOE and Pride by Dirty Day
and while there is something to be said for it I don't think it leads to a more enjoyable to the extent it warrants excessive whining
:shrug:

You don't have to perform the same three rockers every single night without exception. Unfortunately, U2 seems to disagree.
I'm sure they'll do tis at some point during the tour
I don't think the shows will be that much better that it is a travesty or something that they don't play these songs all the time
especially since it makes some sense for a band to want to play 'more recent' material

While I was the first to bitch about the setlist complainers, the setlist has gotten worse. They have added all the songs that have been way overplayed over the last few tours, and have been dropping some of the new rehearsed oldies...Booo.

Don't let yourself be intimitated. I think this topic is a real shame and should be closed. It's annoying that some fans want to define who a "real fan" is and who isn't. I'm sure U2 would never agree with this. The title of this thread is ridiculous. I'm sure U2 appreciate every single fan, new and old. If it was just for their 29+ years followers, U2 concerts would be a sad place. I don't think I'd want to be there.

Thank you, and after reading the rest of the thread and seeing the personal attacks I couldn't agree more on what you just said there.

I personally find it ridiculous and darn right rude to take down someone as myself like you all did.

We dont all have to like or agree on the same things but just because one may not know something or agree on something doesn't mean you go and take them down to the mud its tasteless and darn right rude.

And to make it sound like as new fans are lesser fans and are not "true" U2 fans cause we may not know the old catalog is garbage:angry:

Let's go:

My favourite song is a song never released on an album, this decade. Never played live.
My second is one of those that you cite as poor, and that shouldn't be welcome by fans.
My third, another one that was never used on an album. From the 90's. Played only for one tour.

Please live and on album, can't get the whole fuss about it.
Acrobat bores the hell outta me, and I only hear it when I'm listening to Achtung on its entirely.
So Cruel is the best song on Achtung, btw.
Boots is the best song on NLOTH.

So, am I a stupid fan? Don't I deserve to get better seats in a concert cause I think Mercy is a piece of shit?

Fine, no one is stopping me from going to concerts and I couldn't care less about other people's opinion. Well, you'll ask me: why write this whole shit then? Well, some people get offended by what you say. Although I don't think it should be a problem to ignore such threads, sometimes this whole "oh, you don't like Acrobat, what's the matter with you??" shitte gets boring.
Anyway...

Well I don't particularly like TUF sorry.

I love UV..it is not my fave song on AB, actually So Cruel is:D

Elevation,Vertigo and Boots I honestly like all these songs...But I get a rise from hearing Bad ...Or UC am I a terrible fan?...I don't think so :)

floweravalanche, I apologize if I made you feel bad with my comments. It honestly wasn't my intention.

Thank you, and after reading the rest of the thread and seeing the personal attacks I couldn't agree more on what you just said there.

I personally find it ridiculous and darn right rude to take down someone as myself like you all did.

We dont all have to like or agree on the same things but just because one may not know something or agree on something doesn't mean you go and take them down to the mud its tasteless and darn right rude.

And to make it sound like as new fans are lesser fans and are not "true" U2 fans cause we may not know the old catalog is garbage:angry:

Gimmee a break. No one "took you down"; in fact I think I complimented you and you musical tastes.
No one is saying fans are lesser because they are younger and all that garbage. Please. If people like those tunes, that is great. I'm just drawing attention to maybe some other material that you admitted you had not heard. Gee, you're welcome.

My problem is that U2 finally have the balls to play UF and UV, and most of the fans don't really get into them. But they get into Elevation, Boots, etc.

Ok, great. Different strokes and all that. But no here has been more personally attacked in this thread than me. And I'm not crying about it. It doesn't surprise me.

There is an air in this forum that is different now. No one is allowed to question anything or give a critical review of anything anymore. My point was to discuss how it seems the fan base is more post 2000 at the shows. If the "not impressed" thing in the title got under some people's nerves, I'm sorry. To be honest, I thought it was an ironic take on the other "not impressed" thread but I guess I was wrong.

I just want to remind you all that I heard the album before most of you through my buddy that works at a NYC studio who was working with Lanois last fall, but never try to bring that up. I've never once tried to cop a "better than you" attitude. I love U2 and always have gotten along with fans that I meet in person. Personally, I wish I was into the tunes I'm not, but that's the way it goes.

Peace to all folks. Thread should be closed.

The point is, BVS, that if people here think I'm elitist or whatever, I'm trying to show I'm not. I know you can construe me saying that as ironic, but that's the way you opperate.

Look... there's no point in discussing.
JOFO, you might have a point... but if it's what I'm thinking (I'm assuming you're meaning that you feel the fans should be more welcome to them bringing up old/rare tunes), you chose the wrong words to explain yourself. Really failed there mate.

And anyway...

Peace to all folks. Thread should be closed.

this is the right thing to do now. This subject has been discussed many times with no results. So, close this before it becomes worse.

The point is, BVS, that if people here think I'm elitist or whatever, I'm trying to show I'm not. I know you can construe me saying that as ironic, but that's the way you opperate.

You started two threads and brought it up while bragging you never bring it up... that's the definition of irony.

I mean Alanis should read this so that she knows what the word really fucking means.

Heath:
Fair enough. Wrong choice of words on my part. My apologies.

BVS:
I heard the album before it was released. I was not going to tell Interference about it?

I guess I shouldn't have.

ok than my apologies to all who have been offended and let's close the thread.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom