North American Tour Changes in Set list??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Y'know... I'm not american, but you folks seem to believe the band think really low of american people... I don't think Crazy will be dropped only because they'll hit the U.S. I know, it's not like people there have the greatest musical taste ever, but everywhere it's like this on these days. The only difference is that there's 300 millions americans.

No? The fact that everyone feels that american audiences won't stand the fact they're playing something like Crazy Remix isn't enough?

Maybe the band just wants to drop it...

Then they would have dropped it. The setlists are going to look similar to what they have been playing. After the European leg ends, the band is probably going on vacation for a few weeks. They aren't going to have enough time to rehearse all of the major changes to the set that some peopler here think we're going to see.

Sure, over the course of the NA leg there will be new songs added, just as they have done over the European leg. But come the first show in Chicago, I really do not think we are going to see a drastically different setlist. Now, come 2010, especially if SOA is released, that is when I think the setlists will look completely different.

Going to be bold here with my predictions -

For the most part, I think the opener will stay the same. However, I think U2 will switch in a different opener for cities who have two shows. My guess is that will be the spot and few times that we'll see Stand Up Comedy. I'm kind of torn on the song, but the people I know who aren't die hards like me, love that song, and casual fans outnumber the die hards.

I do think the closer will not so much be rotated out, but on some shows we'll see something after Moment of Surrender. Perhaps White as Snow or Cedars of Lebanon. At these shows, a song will be dropped from the new album - perhaps Unknown Caller and maybe Crazy Tonight once. It's a single, I'd be surprised if it was regularly dropped.

Now for the non-NLOTH songs:

The nightly regulars in Europe won't change much. If anything, I see Walk On and MLK being rotated more with Europe rarities such as Angel of Harlem and Bad.

New Year's Day, Elevation, Until the End of the World and Mysterious Ways will start to be played more as well, as sad to say it, but Unforgettable Fire and Ultraviolet will gradually be played less and less.

The rarities that will be play on the US leg will be: Your Blue Room (2 shows), HMTMKMKM (3 shows), Drowning Man (for 1 show), Hands That Built America (snippet - 4 shows), I Will Follow (3 shows), New York (played only in New York), Gone (Large cities only), and as a very very special treat to Chicago Night 2 - The Fly.

New York? They didn't play it last tour. Why would they break that out?

^ ultra right wing fascists?

Okay, fine, whatever, Fox News watchers are ZOMG EVIL INCARNATE, blah yawn blah blah, but that still doesn't explain why they would get all bent out of shape about U2 referencing the protests.

Last I checked, Americans on both sides of the political spectrum would like to see Achmini... Achmenijei.... the Iranian president crawl into a hole and disappear.

^ Did I just stumble into bizzarro world or did this thread morph into FYM ? :huh:

anyways... back to the setlist- I think EBTTRT will make an appearance. and I know this is heavily debated, and i might be completely crazy, but I think that acrobat might be at least rehearsed in an acoustic version. I mean that song has got to at least cross the mind of the band? I also think we will see Bullet show up randomly in an encore at some point during the tour. Bad will probably take a permanent spot after streets/ One. hmm.. Idk actually. Time will tell.

I don't see them dropping the CT remix in the US. Worried about losing UC though.

When I first heard SUC, my first thought was how awesome it would be live. I do hope it's played. :up:

The more I think about this, the more I feel there will not be any significant changes. Your Blue Room looks set to make an entry to the set, but beyond that ... we'll see. Willie Williams seems to have lobbied for White As Snow, so hopefully that will help it show up by October.

Also heard a report In God's Country was soundchecked in Cardiff. I have not, however, been able to confirm this. Would be great for them to dig that up again - obviously in Arizona especially.

I agree with Axver. I'm not sure why they would risk playing a shaky set that they haven't practiced into Stadiums in the US. If anything, they'll keep the exact same songs just to make sure they bring a tight show with not too many blunders.

I think the setlist changes will come in the 2010 leg.

Yep. It's been 12 years since U2 did a full stadium tour of the US and we all know how much the band loved it last time. They will have some trepidation, I'm sure. I can see them making some small tweaks to parts of the show that they think can be improved easily, but nothing major. In a circumstance like this, U2 will sooner play a set they're comfortable with than take a risk.

Aside from dropping the acoustic song, my biggest hope is more NLOTH. 7 new songs is good, but that's less than Pop, ATYCLB and Bomb got on their respective tours.

I don't think Cedars or Fez are realistic but why not make the - it seems, since Elevation and Vertigo tours - token acoustic song something off the new album and bring on White of snow. And surely The Edge hasn't forgotten the Stand up comedy riff.

NASA - 08-18-2009

Looks like we will get Your Blue Room.

At ~8:30am, the six crewmembers downlinked a non-interactive message to be incorporated by the music band U2 in their current North American Tour. [This event was a follow-up to the event conducted with U2 back on 6/26/09 when the ISS crew downlinked greetings for U2’s European tour venues. Per recent agreements between U2, the ISS crew and NASA, eaxch of the ISS crewmembers was requested to voice eight lines of U2’s new song ”Your Blue Room” that, along with a montage of space and ISS scenes that NASA is providing to U2 separately, will play during their U.S. tour dates.]

NASA - 08-18-2009

Looks like we will get Your Blue Room.

At ~8:30am, the six crewmembers downlinked a non-interactive message to be incorporated by the music band U2 in their current North American Tour. [This event was a follow-up to the event conducted with U2 back on 6/26/09 when the ISS crew downlinked greetings for U2’s European tour venues. Per recent agreements between U2, the ISS crew and NASA, eaxch of the ISS crewmembers was requested to voice eight lines of U2’s new song ”Your Blue Room” that, along with a montage of space and ISS scenes that NASA is providing to U2 separately, will play during their U.S. tour dates.]

this is promising. here's to hoping its at one of the shows I'm going to..

Let's presume they take 3/4 new songs in the next leg.

By now, with the last two tours, they presumably exhaused the 80's material they could bring out (especially pre-JT songs, with Boy stuff, Gloria, 40 and now UF songs making it live). JT is mosty relegated to side A songs, and Rattle and Hum has been stuck with the three obligatory singles. Also I think AB is drained out now, with the heavy appearences on Vertigo tour, and now Ultraviolet added. Zooropa probably won't get anything beyond the two songs they do on the last tour.

That leaves Pop - underplayed on the last two tours - and Bomb, which for some reason only gets two songs nightly.

So...Your blue room has been predicted, more or less. Add in a live favourite like Bullet, and maybe Sometimes you can't make it... and Staring at the sun or Please for the acoustic song.

New York? They didn't play it last tour. Why would they break that out?

The 360 and Vertigo Tours are indications where that theory is invalid.

360 Tour:
Electrical Storm - Live premiere
Stay - Not played on Vertigo Tour
The Unforgettable Fire - Did not appear in the last four tours
Ultraviolet - Did not appear in the last three tours

Vertigo Tour:
Miss Sarajevo - Aside from the one performance on PopMart, this was virtually a live premiere
Electric Co - Not played since Joshua Tree Tour
Zoo Station - Not played since ZooTV Tour
Running To Stand Still - Not played since ZooTV Tour
The First Time - Never played live till Vertigo
And that is just to name a few.

So just because New York didn't appear on the Vertigo Tour, does not mean it will not appear on the 360 Tour.

History shows that they do usually change the set list some for each leg of the tour.

Those expecting monumental change might be disappointed. But there is a very good chance for a few songs to be added and a few dropped.

Back
Top Bottom