No more live streams of the shows?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steved1998

Rock n' Roll Doggie
I didn't know what forum to put this in, but since it effects setlist parties, I figured I'd put it here.
As of today, 1000mikes is now limiting accounts to a certain number of listeners per stream, audio quality, and amount of time they want to broadcast for depending on what plan the broadcaster wants to buy. This looks like it will screw up any live streams for us.

For instance the free stream will only allow you to have 75 people listening to a broadcast with mono audio quality at 64 kbps at one time. They also can only broadcast for 20 hours out of the month.
The highest account level for 79.00/month will allow you to broad cast at 128 kbps stereo to 4500 people. So I doubt we will have any live streams in our future. Who would pay that just to broadcast a U2show? Even if someone did, not everyone would be able to listen if the amount of people that are able to listen is capped.

My question is are there any alternatives?

:sad: Wow that sucks. Even if it was fishbowl sound it still was something, it made us all connected wherever we were.

I reckon alternatives would be the videocasting that I think was on bambuser something.. but that lags like hell.

Hopefully an alternative pops up before the South American or US leg.. As of now they have my account on a 29.99/mth plan until the end of December. Then I assume it's either pay up or you get limited. I would think they did it to all accounts. We wouldn't be able to have more than 750 per stream for this leg of the tour.

Hmm... I wish I had access to a lot of server space, because I might be able to figure out how to make an alternative system just for us.

I hope that Twitter idea pans out. I think one of the few shows I actually listened to was through that site, and if I recall correctly, it sounded amazing.

I'm sure that had less to do with Twitter and more to do with the person recording (or location, or their equipment), but still!

But honestly, I don't usually listen to the feeds anyway because the sound is usually so annoying. :shrug:

I hope that Twitter idea pans out. I think one of the few shows I actually listened to was through that site, and if I recall correctly, it sounded amazing.

I'm sure that had less to do with Twitter and more to do with the person recording (or location, or their equipment), but still!
It's not really an official Twitter thing; it's another site called TwitVid:
TwitVid - Share videos on Twitter
UStream could also be an option:
USTREAM, You're On. Free LIVE VIDEO Streaming, Online Broadcasts. Create webcasts, video chat, stream videos on the Internet. Live streaming videos, TV shows

The only problem with the video sites is the frequent buffering buffering buffering
Oooh, good point. Here are a few audio-only options I was able to find on Dem Googlenets:
-http://www.nch.com.au/streaming/index.html (NCH Broadwave Streaming Audio Server - basically, a program that lets you stream audio over the net. You can use it for free if you link to them on your site, but it's a computer program, so I'm not sure how the logistics of that would work.)
-http://all-streaming-media.com/stream-broadcast/free-audio-video-stream-broadcasting-software.htm (This is a list of several free streaming programs.)
Well, that's all I can find for now...hope this helps! :)

EDIT:
Is that any worse than the sound disappearing frequently with 1000mikes?
Not to mention the random car horns and applause. :lol:

There will always be an alternative. What was Gorman using back in the day?

Surely it can't be that impossible.

Gorman was using his own server space, and we had to limit the amount of people who could listen. I remember when we'd only have 64 people on the stream.

I really hope we don't get stuck with the shitty video sites. The buffering of the video is utterly infuriating and I found some of the streams unlistenable. If I remember correctly, at least one site allows you to turn off the video and just broadcast sound though, which makes for a more stable feed (mobile phone reception dependent).

On the 2005 tour, it was someone from the show calling someone at home, and that person putting their phone on speaker thru Yahoo IM :crack:

And Axver - when Gorman's server was full, someone would mirror it on another channel so more could hear. There's got to be a better way...

Gorman was using his own server space, and we had to limit the amount of people who could listen. I remember when we'd only have 64 people on the stream.

Yeah, I remember those too. Lost connection a few times and had trouble getting back on. Still got to listen to some, however.
(hi Ax.:wave:)

Well, for me at least I won't be stressed until (fingers crossed) South America, because these shows are happening far too late/early for me to sit around and listen in.

I have nothing productive to add other than . . .

ohnootter2.jpg

:sad:

Back
Top Bottom