Next Tour Ruined By Old Songs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jon Seidman

The Fly
How do think this album with play out on the next tour? I kind of wish they just play songs off NLOTH and a few select other tracks. I'd hate to hear these cool new tracks jammed in between older stuff that is honestly played out and artistically irrelevant in comparison.

...well this is a weird thread. If you dont want overplayed songs, then fair enough, but not wanting old songs in the setlist? Just what the hell?!? They kind of need to.

I guess I should have just said that I think these new songs will seem out of place in what I expect to be the set for the next tour.

I don't agree, from what I've heard so far off the new album, older songs, as diverse as Mofo, Wire, Exit, Desire, Electric Co, would work perfectly with these new ones (NLOTH, Breathe etc)

If opening with Streets or an encore with NYD, Pride and 40 seems out of place, they could always substitute more appropriate ones, that are scarcely played, like One Tree Hill, The Unforgettable Fire, Seconds, Do You Feel loved...

I don't agree with the original poster but I think the title brings up an interesting question.

I have found that the older material can hurt the overall show depending on how it is done and which songs. For example on Popmart I felt songs like Pride, SBS, Still Haven't, All I Want In You and others were forced into the show. With another big production on this tour, I really hope the same thing doesn't happen.

Interesting :hmm: so play all 11 tracks from NLOTH and 3 other songs. It's gonna be a short night.

They have to play of number of the 'classics' to keep the casual fan happy. After that there's not much of the setlist remaining.

The beauty of making setlists is in the magic of mixing new with the old material. Take Until the End of the World/New Year's Day on ZooTV or Please/Streets on Popmart for example. I'm all up for putting some old warhorses like Pride and I Still Haven't Found to rest, but the idea not to play old songs is ludicrous. In fact, some old songs could be the highlight of the next tour, just like The Electric Co., Zoo Station and The Fly were in 2005.

It'd be interesting to see them pull a Zoo TV and ignore a lot of their older stuff.

Would a show of the following be that bad?

- Beautiful Day
- Elevation
- Walk On
- Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of
- In A Little While
- Kite
- Vertigo
- City Of Blinding Lights
- Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
- All Because Of You
- Love And Peace Or Else
- No Line On The Horizon
- Magnificent
- Moment of Surrender
- Unknown Caller
- Breathe
- Get On Your Boots
- Stand Up Comedy
- I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight

Throw in like five older singles and you have a decent set list. I've seen much worse. Frankly, I'd rather hear almost anything from ATYCLB or HTDAAB than suffer through "Pride" or "One" yet again.

How do think this album with play out on the next tour? I kind of wish they just play songs off NLOTH and a few select other tracks. I'd hate to hear these cool new tracks jammed in between older stuff that is honestly played out and artistically irrelevant in comparison.

Yes, I really want the next tour to be 'ruined' by old tunes. Play everything possible from NLOTH and bring back from "Twilight", "Two Hearts Beat As One", and especially "October", "A Sort Of Homecoming", "The Unforgettable Fire", "Exit", "Wave Of Sorrow" and "God Part II" plus the live premieres of "Mothers Of The Disappeared", "Acrobat", "Dirty Day", "Electrical Storm", "Window In The Skies" here in Europe – and we'll rule the ruins ...:drool:

It'd be interesting to see them pull a Zoo TV and ignore a lot of their older stuff.

- Beautiful Day
- Elevation
- Walk On
- In A Little While
- Kite
- Vertigo
- All Because Of You
- Love And Peace Or Else
- No Line On The Horizon
- Magnificent
- Moment of Surrender
- Unknown Caller
- Breathe
- Get On Your Boots
- Stand Up Comedy

Throw in like five older singles and you have a decent set list. I've seen much worse. Frankly, I'd rather hear almost anything from ATYCLB or HTDAAB than suffer through "Pride" or "One" yet again.

I would most likely resell my tickets and not attend the tour if I found out they were only playing from their 2000s catalogue plus the same old warhorses.

Seriously.

- Beautiful Day
- Elevation
- Walk On
- In A Little While
- Kite
- Vertigo
- All Because Of You
- Love And Peace Or Else
- No Line On The Horizon
- Magnificent
- Moment of Surrender
- Unknown Caller
- Breathe
- Get On Your Boots
- Stand Up Comedy

Yes, the setlist is bad IMO. Sorry, there are real to be dust-off surprises missing in your list. U2 have to dive again in their back-catalogue, more see my posting above ...:wink:

Back
Top Bottom