New Q mag - we may be about to see some Pop - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > U2 360° Tour Central - 2009 / 2010 / 2011 Archive > Set Lists & Songs
Click Here to Login

Old 04-21-2011, 05:40 PM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 08:31 PM
New Q mag - we may be about to see some Pop

Okay, I was looking through the forum board over at efestivals.co.uk on the Glastonbury page. They have a number of U2 threads live at the moment, with people getting excited about their performance in June.

Someone has posted a snippet of an interview with Adam in the next month's edition of Q magazine in which he says the following, and I think you'll agree this sounds very promising -

""It's very un-Glastonbury to have a big production, but we will be sneaking a few things in through the back gate which will hopefully make the experience a little more like Glastonbury on steroids."

as well as this which is completely

"We want to go back to our 90's work that plays in to a certain kind of psychedelia and do something that's tailored around that, from Zoo TV to PopMart. This is the 20th anniversary of Achtung Baby so there's a nice connection there and we thought we should mark that."

I think this next US leg is gonna see some pretty radical setlist changes. Could we finally see something from Pop getting played?!?!? I am absolutely stoked that 90s U2 looks set to get honoured at Glastonbury.

Old 04-21-2011, 05:46 PM   #2
War Child

Mofo and Last Night on Earth, please!

LNOE would be especially fitting being the final leg of 360 and all.

Old 04-21-2011, 05:47 PM   #3
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 01:31 PM
I'm not going to hold my breath.

oh please oh please oh please oh please

I will pee my pants if I manage to remain unspoiled until the Seattle show and hear them bust out something from Pop.
Old 04-21-2011, 05:59 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

This has strengthened my resolve to attempt to go spoiler free. I would be a happy girl if I got some Pop.
Old 04-21-2011, 06:04 PM   #5
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyJB View Post
"We want to go back to our 90's work that plays in to a certain kind of psychedelia and do something that's tailored around that, from Zoo TV to PopMart. This is the 20th anniversary of Achtung Baby so there's a nice connection there and we thought we should mark that."
please excuse me, i just shat my pants.

at the fact that someone in the u2 ranks knows what popmart was.
Old 04-21-2011, 06:07 PM   #6
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 03:31 PM
Good to know that they have finally realized some Pop is what this tour needed. Too bad they wasted the claw for 5 legs.
Old 04-21-2011, 06:13 PM   #7
New Yorker

The best thing they can do is to play the entirely "Achtung Baby".

That would be a instant KO.
Old 04-21-2011, 06:24 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Location: Secretly listening to a U2 record that's beyond the greatness of Achtung Baby and Joshua Tree while eating brownies. In The Hive™.
Local Time: 04:31 PM
I was thinking this morning as I walked out the door and on my drive on the way to school how they seem to ignore Pop like it never even happened and probably won't play anything from it again. How strange this comes out! Looks like I could be wrong. I'll soil myself right there in the stadium if they play something this summer. I've been listening to some Pop lately (mixed with some listens of TUF) and I just would kill for them to play some material from Pop and reach a little beyond what they do on tour with 90s material.

Psst... hey Adam... Mofo.
Old 04-21-2011, 06:29 PM   #9
Refugee

although I can't say I didn't expect this. The addition of EBTTRT and Zooropa to the set lists recently is proof of that. Maybe we will see the addition of the Fly or Zoo Station or TTTYAATW as well?

But really, if I had a choice, I would say bring back:

Last Night On Earth (a given)
Mofo (another given)
Discotheque (would work perfectly after Vertigo or after Crazy Tonight)
Gone (would work perfectly as second encore opener [Why the hell are they letting Bono go on stage wearing a SUIT OF LIGHTS without playing this song??????])
Old 04-21-2011, 07:04 PM   #10
Refugee

Local Time: 09:31 PM
I find it interesting that they're suggesting the idea of using Glastonbury to showcase their more psychedelic, 90's stuff when i'd expect the show to be more hit oriented.
U2's latest shows/tours (as well as their latest greatest hits CD, u218) have more of an emphasis on the 00's, 80's and achtung baby, and appear to 'forget' the rest of the 90's.
I would have expected them to follow this sentiment even more so with glastonbury, and just focus on the biggest hits, but evidently (and thankfully) i'm wrong.

If they do showcase their more experimental 90's stuff at glastonbury, i will be very pleased - it would show the mainstream public, who generally define u2 through songs like vertigo and beautiful day - how crazy and awesome they got back in the 90's!
Old 04-21-2011, 07:11 PM   #11
45:33

Local Time: 06:31 AM
That's a pretty exciting quote.
Old 04-21-2011, 07:16 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamietheEdgefan View Post
I find it interesting that they're suggesting the idea of using Glastonbury to showcase their more psychedelic, 90's stuff when i'd expect the show to be more hit oriented.
U2's latest shows/tours (as well as their latest greatest hits CD, u218) have more of an emphasis on the 00's, 80's and achtung baby, and appear to 'forget' the rest of the 90's.
I would have expected them to follow this sentiment even more so with glastonbury, and just focus on the biggest hits, but evidently (and thankfully) i'm wrong.

If they do showcase their more experimental 90's stuff at glastonbury, i will be very pleased - it would show the mainstream public, who generally define u2 through songs like vertigo and beautiful day - how crazy and awesome they got back in the 90's!
Glastonbury is a notoriously tough crowd - just playing hits won't fly - they will have to play their most astounding songs if they want to blow them away...

i for one can't wait to see this gig (on telly haha)
Old 04-21-2011, 07:40 PM   #13
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 06:31 AM
I wouldn't read too much into this.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 04-21-2011, 07:46 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Location: Secretly listening to a U2 record that's beyond the greatness of Achtung Baby and Joshua Tree while eating brownies. In The Hive™.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEdge25 View Post
Last Night On Earth (a given)
Mofo (another given)
Discotheque (would work perfectly after Vertigo or after Crazy Tonight)
Gone (would work perfectly as second encore opener [Why the hell are they letting Bono go on stage wearing a SUIT OF LIGHTS without playing this song??????])
FUCK YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-21-2011, 07:57 PM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

If they even bring something from Pop next leg, I would love to hear Gone, Last Night On Earth, Mofo or Discotheque. Any of those four will be fine (would really love to hear Gone more than the others, though )