New Q mag - we may be about to see some Pop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MikeyJB

Refugee
Okay, I was looking through the forum board over at efestivals.co.uk on the Glastonbury page. They have a number of U2 threads live at the moment, with people getting excited about their performance in June.

Someone has posted a snippet of an interview with Adam in the next month's edition of Q magazine in which he says the following, and I think you'll agree this sounds very promising -

""It's very un-Glastonbury to have a big production, but we will be sneaking a few things in through the back gate which will hopefully make the experience a little more like Glastonbury on steroids."

as well as this which is completely :hyper:

"We want to go back to our 90's work that plays in to a certain kind of psychedelia and do something that's tailored around that, from Zoo TV to PopMart. This is the 20th anniversary of Achtung Baby so there's a nice connection there and we thought we should mark that."

I think this next US leg is gonna see some pretty radical setlist changes. Could we finally see something from Pop getting played?!?!? I am absolutely stoked that 90s U2 looks set to get honoured at Glastonbury.

I'm not going to hold my breath.

oh please oh please oh please oh please

I will pee my pants if I manage to remain unspoiled until the Seattle show and hear them bust out something from Pop.

"We want to go back to our 90's work that plays in to a certain kind of psychedelia and do something that's tailored around that, from Zoo TV to PopMart. This is the 20th anniversary of Achtung Baby so there's a nice connection there and we thought we should mark that."

please excuse me, i just shat my pants.

at the fact that someone in the u2 ranks knows what popmart was.

Good to know that they have finally realized some Pop :drool: is what this tour needed. Too bad they wasted the claw for 5 legs.

I was thinking this morning as I walked out the door and on my drive on the way to school how they seem to ignore Pop like it never even happened and probably won't play anything from it again. How strange this comes out! Looks like I could be wrong. I'll soil myself right there in the stadium if they play something this summer. I've been listening to some Pop lately (mixed with some listens of TUF) and I just would kill for them to play some material from Pop and reach a little beyond what they do on tour with 90s material.

Psst... hey Adam... Mofo.;)

:drool:

although I can't say I didn't expect this. The addition of EBTTRT and Zooropa to the set lists recently is proof of that. Maybe we will see the addition of the Fly or Zoo Station or TTTYAATW as well?

But really, if I had a choice, I would say bring back:

Last Night On Earth (a given)
Mofo (another given)
Discotheque (would work perfectly after Vertigo or after Crazy Tonight)
Gone (would work perfectly as second encore opener [Why the hell are they letting Bono go on stage wearing a SUIT OF LIGHTS without playing this song??????])

I find it interesting that they're suggesting the idea of using Glastonbury to showcase their more psychedelic, 90's stuff when i'd expect the show to be more hit oriented.
U2's latest shows/tours (as well as their latest greatest hits CD, u218) have more of an emphasis on the 00's, 80's and achtung baby, and appear to 'forget' the rest of the 90's.
I would have expected them to follow this sentiment even more so with glastonbury, and just focus on the biggest hits, but evidently (and thankfully) i'm wrong.

If they do showcase their more experimental 90's stuff at glastonbury, i will be very pleased - it would show the mainstream public, who generally define u2 through songs like vertigo and beautiful day - how crazy and awesome they got back in the 90's! :hyper:

I find it interesting that they're suggesting the idea of using Glastonbury to showcase their more psychedelic, 90's stuff when i'd expect the show to be more hit oriented.
U2's latest shows/tours (as well as their latest greatest hits CD, u218) have more of an emphasis on the 00's, 80's and achtung baby, and appear to 'forget' the rest of the 90's.
I would have expected them to follow this sentiment even more so with glastonbury, and just focus on the biggest hits, but evidently (and thankfully) i'm wrong.

If they do showcase their more experimental 90's stuff at glastonbury, i will be very pleased - it would show the mainstream public, who generally define u2 through songs like vertigo and beautiful day - how crazy and awesome they got back in the 90's! :hyper:

Glastonbury is a notoriously tough crowd - just playing hits won't fly - they will have to play their most astounding songs if they want to blow them away...

i for one can't wait to see this gig (on telly :sad: haha)

If they even bring something from Pop next leg, I would love to hear Gone, Last Night On Earth, Mofo or Discotheque. Any of those four will be fine (would really love to hear Gone more than the others, though :wink:)

Guys you are all reading this wrong

adam's basically confirming that they will be dusting off the popmart lemon for Glastonbury

:wink:

Gone and Last Night on Earth will make me cream myself if they play either one of them in NJ (or any other point in the tour)

Glastonbury =/= other gigs in the tour. It will be a GH set. Bank on that. As for the rest of the tour...thank God I have tickets.

I'm not gonna get too excited, but secretly I'm rejoicing. :wink:

:yippie: They still remember what Pop is!

To be fair, they're already doing us a HUGE favour opening with EBTRRT and putting Zooropa in the set. But if they want more 90s in it? Who am I to complain?
Doing the encore with MoFo > HMTMKMKM > WOWY > MOS? :fuckyeah:

Bear in mind this is Adam who has said this - the most trustworthy member of the band.

I can't wait to see what 'gimmicks' they bring in through the backdoor :hmm:

Adam said:
Hoooooo-leeeeeeee shit. Is Interference's collective setlist dream about to become a reality? :hyper::hyper::hyper:
Also, it's awesome to hear that they're at least trying to do something other than just a '80s/'00s "Greatest Hits" set for Glasto.

Bear in mind this is Adam who has said this - the most trustworthy member of the band.

I can't wait to see what 'gimmicks' they bring in through the backdoor :hmm:

That is why I'm happy. Adam is pretty reliable. And he said ZooTV & Popmart!!

At this point I'll take acoustic "Staring At The Sun".

I'm going to Anaheim 1 & 2. If anything from POP's played I'll buy you a beer :up:

My guess is it will be essentially a Greatest Hits, but it will have a different running order/vibe to your standard U2 show. What I am most looking forward to is the opening stretch. Lord knows what else they'll do or how they'll do it, but I bet they come out absolutely swinging. Not just the couple of punches they always like to throw up front, but four or five in a row. Straight out and punch/punch/punch/punch/punch. That's going to be fucking gold.

I think essentially the first third of the show will be Impact, middle third will be Diversity, last third will be The Big Ones. That doesn't sound like it's all too different to your average U2 show, but I do think things will be more tightly bunched together into those groupings than usual. Just give an almighty, blistering rock performance up front, show the bands range a bit through the middle, and then just one after another after another, bring it home by rolling out the classic/anthem/singalong shit that those big Glastonbury headline slots are often all about. Then I'm going to get incredibly drunk and lost somewhere till dawn.

OK now I'm officially pumped for Glasto. Up til now I was thinking they'd just bang out BD/Vertigo/Pride/One/MW/Streets/WOWY thank you good night! But this has given real cause for hope. If they throw in Zooropa, Mofo/Discotheque and UV I'll have a big grin for the rest of the year. And it goes without saying Adam is the shit!

Hoooooo-leeeeeeee shit. Is Interference's collective setlist dream about to become a reality? :hyper::hyper::hyper:
Also, it's awesome to hear that they're at least trying to do something other than just a '80s/'00s "Greatest Hits" set for Glasto.

Nah. Everyone will just be complaining that they're playing EBTTRT, One, MW, Miss Sarajevo, HMTMKMKM, UTEOTW from the '90s and nothing from Pop. Nowhere in those quotes does Adam say anything about the Pop album. Only that the Zoo TV & Popmart shows had some kind of psychedelia thing going on (he doesn't say with what though, was it because of the video/lights?).
At most we might also get Zooropa played of the '90s tracks, if it has survived the Brazilian shows to live on in Mexico and further.

He didn't exactly mention the Pop album. He just mentioned bringing back some of those "psychedelic elements" from the 90's tours. Members of the band have mentioned PopMart before.

I'm not gonna read to into this, especially regarding a POP filled set list.

Maybe a couple more Achtung Baby songs, but I doubt anything else.

My predictions, Tryin' to Throw Your Arms Around the World and/or If God Will Send His Angels. As crazy as it sounds both songs have already been rehearsed.

Think about it, Even Better than the Real Thing was rehearsed before Barcelona 2009 and only made it into the set this year. Something tells me Bono will all of a sudden proclaim his love for IGWSHA and play it. As for Arm's Around the World, it can be just like it was during a Zoo TV set, smack in the middle of the show.

But hey what would I know, knowing our luck we'll probably just get a few Miami snippets :doh:

...not that I dislike Miami though
:rockon:

Back
Top Bottom