Moment of Surrender is a LAME closer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jag0918

Refugee
Now I havent seen the show yet...but Ive listened to it enough and I truely feel at this point that MoS is a great song..but very lame for a closer. Something is missing from the encore. IMHO - as the band leaves the stage...Larry starts the beat of Out of Control & the band comes back to blast our balls off one last time. Hell they did it with Vertigo on the last tour...why not end it with a rocker on this one.. and with their first single nonetheless.
What do ya'll think? Just image how friggin nuts the place would be IF they came back & ended the show with that!!! :applaud:

Yeah, it kinda ended in a whimper for me...

I LOVED how they reworked "I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight". It was a pleasant surprise. :applaud:

You haven't seen it yet. I thought it was a great closer.
Great song and a great closer. Having said that, I think Edge was playing piano in the wrong key for awhile. Sounded like some clunkers in there. I hate to even bring it up because he was awesome for the entire evening. Don't think I ever saw him sing that much in a show. Haven't seen the group since 2001.

I know the old classics is what gets the whole place rockin', but I thought the new material was the best part of the show. Really liked the Crazy remix.

It was one of the hightlights for me when I saw the show. The band, Bono especially, is very much into it. And I feel it has improved with time. I'm always amazed how Bono can pull up that voice at the end of the show.

I don't like it at all. Actually I don't like the last 3 songs. :crack:
I always try to leave the stadium earlier.

I don't like it at all. Actually I don't like the last 3 songs. :crack:
I always try to leave the stadium earlier.

I could never do that.

OK, I could live without WOWY. UV is nice, mainly because of the special effects, but I'm not a big fan of that song. But I could never miss Moment of Surrender.

^MOS is really my least fav. song.
I don't have a problem with only hearing the half of it...mostly I really have to go for a pee and before the mad rush starts...LOL! :reject:

It is an awesome closer! Seriously, I wouldn't have expected it to be so good live, but it's up there as a fav or at least joint fav of the new stuff live. Bono really gets lost in the song.

Hate it on the record and I said before that if I was wrong about how it would sound live I would apologize. well here it is: I am sorry!!! because it was so much better live than I expected.

Problem is: It IS a lame closer. drop WOWY, replace it with MOS and play something else at the end. UV, MW/FLY/ES, MOS, BAD and the show ends kick ass

it is a downer in its beauty and you have the feeling(at least I did) that the concert wasnt complete yet. Something I have NEVER had at a U2 concert before.

zwervers2 that's a good idea. MOS is a way more intimate and emotional song that WOWY is right now, a switch around and a different last song would be interesting. :hmm:

didn't work much as a closer first night I saw the show
felt like their best closing song ever second night I saw the show
:shrug:

The first show of the second leg is just over and here we go again.
:doh:
I like MOS as a closer by the way.

The question is though, would this song really work anywhere in the show? I dont think so. Awesome closer.

The question is though, would this song really work anywhere in the show? I dont think so. Awesome closer.

like I said, I think it would work if it would replace WOWY and have something like Bad after it.

I really feel an ecnore like this for example is way better than what it is right now

Ultraviolet
Electrical storm/ The Fly/ Mysterious ways
Moment of surrender
Bad

in this way you keep it fresh each nigh by changing the second encore. Moment of surrender keeps a prominent spot and you send EVERYONE out happy

Hate it on the record and I said before that if I was wrong about how it would sound live I would apologize. well here it is: I am sorry!!! because it was so much better live than I expected.

I agree with you, wasn't completely blown away on the album, but in 360 it's definitely the most beautiful song of the show (not necessarily my favorite, that would be No Line [U2 are first & foremost hard rockers!], but no question the most beautiful)

zwervers2, as much as I would love to see an encore like that, I don't think it's gonna happen. Reason being I think we're just a tiny minority that isn't completely satisfied with the order of the encore, whereas it seems the majority of fans think it's perfect. A few of us think it could be better, but our voices just aren't loud enough or important enough for U2 to care about. U2 thinks it works, the majority of fans thinks it works, that's all that matters, as far as they are concerned. But can you blame them? :slant:

zwervers2, as much as I would love to see an encore like that, I don't think it's gonna happen. Reason being I think we're just a tiny minority that isn't completely satisfied with the order of the encore, whereas it seems the majority of fans think it's perfect. A few of us think it could be better, but our voices just aren't loud enough or important enough for U2 to care about. U2 thinks it works, the majority of fans thinks it works, that's all that matters, as far as they are concerned. But can you blame them? :slant:

off course not. U2 are the only one to "blame" and they will not listen to fans, why should they, they keep comming to the shows anyway :)
but there isnt a soul alive that can honestly say that this is the best encore U2 has ever done and that is a shame because in reality, the encore just could be a much beter without changin too much. They have fantastic material so that isnt the problem. As long as they keep the lamest of lame WOWY (used to fantastic a LONG time ago) the encore is the lowpoint of the night which it shouldnt be off course

Lot of the complainers would probably kill to see the "downer" Love is Blindness. Sometimes leaving the show on a slower song is great. I think the three final songs work great. Rarely played song, overplayed classic, slower new song.

It's a good song, but I feel that just a more up beat song would be nicer and I'm not talking about removing it from the encore.

Back
Top Bottom