Moment of Surrender is a LAME closer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Huh...was at the Opening Night in Chicago show, and I thought MOS was a terrific way to end the evening.
Of course. It makes for a perfect musical denouement. Every song cannot be Bad or Vertigo. It is intense enough, for those with ears, but it also crowns the show and puts a capstone on the entire thing.

Of course. It makes for a perfect musical denouement. Every song cannot be Bad or Vertigo. It is intense enough, for those with ears, but it also crowns the show and puts a capstone on the entire thing.

Oh yes, MOS it is so awesome. As it is this awesome stage. As it is this awesome tour. As it is this awesome band.:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Oh yes, MOS it is so awesome. As it is this awesome stage. As it is this awesome tour. As it is this awesome band.:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
I never had such fun enjoying the rhythm section of U2 as I did at last night's show. Larry and Adam were awesome. Of course I pay attention to Edge and Bono, that goes without saying, but it was definitely a night to see, hear, and feel that thunder. I think we should call these two Sons of Thunder.

The first show of the second leg is just over and here we go again.
:doh:
I like MOS as a closer by the way.

well, to be fair, many of the people at these shows won't have listened in to the european leg of the tour and everyone is entitled to a good whinge now and then :shrug: :lol:

Lot of the complainers would probably kill to see the "downer" Love is Blindness. Sometimes leaving the show on a slower song is great. I think the three final songs work great. Rarely played song, overplayed classic, slower new song.

:up: . . . whilst I too am guilty of a little :rolleyes: when some of the classics are played, I understand that the band can't really deny these songs - for some in the audience those classics will be highlights and the only songs they are going along to hear - I'm not U2 fact queen but wasn't WOWY the first US No 1 and thus the first song in their catalogue to go NO1 around the world? I'd be more suprised if it wasn't played at all to be honest (and my :twocents: I would die a little to hear Love Is Blindness or, dare I say it, :shifty: Acrobat in its place :D but will be happy enough to have a good ole sing along to WOWY if I'm lucky enough to get to the 360 shows at all :up:)

nicely said :yes:

I wasn't too sure about MOS at first, and am sure the experience is completely different live as opposed to listening along courtesy of some kind souls streaming sound via their mobile, but it really is becoming a highlight for me . . . I think its a beautiful way to end the show . .. probably safest too . . .imagine 80,000 revved up U2 fans leaving a stadium en masse :yikes: :laugh:

I love MOS on the album, but it doesn't quite do the job for me as a closer, perhaps if it came after a more exciting song than With or Without you then the pace of the concert wouldn't decline so much....not sure.

I like MOS but I believe it's not the best closer. I don't know why but it just doesn't fit as a good closer to me. (unlike 40, Love is blindness, Wake up dead man, Walk on, One tree hill, All I want is you, etc, etc, etc)

When I was there, MOS was a very good closer, but the way the band exited was nothing special, if they would of left doing MOS and a snippet of 40, then that would of been great hearing how long to sing this song while they walk off.

I love the song, it sounded great live, but I don't think it's the best closer. I much prefer a more upbeat ending to a concert, to leave the crowd pumped up.

Both nights in Chicago, it seemed to me like the crowd was expecting and wanting more. Kind of "... oh, that's it? Oh."

Listen to the Sheffield recording; Bono's voice is spot-on, and the audience singing along makes it the perfect closer (a la 40). :drool:

I love the song, it sounded great live, but I don't think it's the best closer. I much prefer a more upbeat ending to a concert, to leave the crowd pumped up.

Both nights in Chicago, it seemed to me like the crowd was expecting and wanting more. Kind of "... oh, that's it? Oh."

I agree with all of this. I thought Bono sounded great, I thought the band sounded great, but the song just kind of ended before the audience realized, I think.

I agree with all of this. I thought Bono sounded great, I thought the band sounded great, but the song just kind of ended before the audience realized, I think.

That's how I felt, actually.

I like something a little more dramatic at the end.

i liked it, was it "Walk On" in 2001, definitely not, but it was still enjoyable.

I enjoyed Walk On most as a closer, but MOS worked fine. I agree that some of audience seemed a little let down by it, but tough shit. Learn the new album if you are coming to a concert, it's gonna be played people.

(Now Breathe as a lame opener...then you have something, but that's been covered.)

Mark

love the milky way thing with the phones appearing on the screen with all the lights out too. amazing visual.

there is a very common thread between all these complaints.

Yah think? :wink:

Now I haven't read it yet...but I've seen others and I think this is a lame thread.

:lol:

A jolly good return to form, sir.

love the milky way thing with the phones appearing on the screen with all the lights out too. amazing visual.

It was. I loved MOS. Edge's solo is amazing and it almost feels like another NYD with the way he goes into it from a piano bit. Loved it :up:

Anyone that says Breathe is a lame opener or MOS is a lame closer either hasn't been to the show, or is just plain crazy/deaf.

Seriously though, any recordings/bootlegs I've heard of MOS don't do it a fraction of justice now that they're really mastered it.

Anyone that says Breathe is a lame opener or MOS is a lame closer either hasn't been to the show, or is just plain crazy/deaf.

i'll continue to argue against breathe as an opener after having seen it live twice. i enjoy the performance, no doubt, but having a slow rocker open the show completely deflates the atmosphere that has been built up with the intro.

Prior to the tour I always envisioned Breathe as opening an encore, now in the case of the encore they've developed it doesn't make sense, I enjoyed it a lot as the opener, there's certainly a build up of rock energy with Breathe > NLOTH > Boots. NLOTH may be the better opener for energy, but its even lesser-known to the casuals.

Back
Top Bottom