Miss the NLOTH songs? Or not?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoocoustic

War Child
At this point do you wish some NLOTH songs were still around? Glad some are gone? Wish some would disappear?

My thoughts:

Breathe - my personal fav from NLOTH, should still be in the setlist, but never really clicked as an opener.
Magnificent - never really translated well live for me. don't mind that it is still around, but wouldn't miss it.
Boots - i like the intro for the live version, but this song rubs me the wrong way. i wouldn't miss it a bit if it were removed.
UC - this one was great live to me. a shame they ditched it, but it never really generated the "singalong" they wanted, did it?
NLOTH - just a bloody shame this song was removed from the setlist at all.
Crazy Tonight - love the live remix. glad it's still there.
MOS - this is a great change of pace for the live show and i like it. glad it is still around.

Breathe-Great song, and one that could have been kept somewhere other than opening. I'd be rotating this with the best live song from the album, NLOTH and dropping Miss Sarajevo or Walk On to do so. I guess I miss both of these.

Magnificent- Exactly what you said, Zoocoustic!! Save for a few performances on the promo tour and very early on 360, it hasn't lived up to the album version live. I wouldn't flip out if they dropped it by any means, but I really would like it to stay in and be played to its potential.

Boots-Can stay or go. Not one of their better songs or anything, but it is plenty energetic and it gets the job done. They play it well live. Ideally, it gets replaced by a bigger, newer song that actually charts better than embarrassing, but if they wanted to throw in say, Two Hearts Beat As One or Gloria instead, I would be elated. If they want to keep it, that's fine too, I enjoyed it when I saw it twice!

UC-Goodbye. Saw it twice, didn't do anything for me. Liked the song at first, then it really did whatever the opposite of growing on me is. Was definitely a sleeper live in Boston.

Crazy Tonight-Remix is cool and would be boring by now and kind of stupid if they didn't keep adding interesting snippets to it(discotheque and please) and using it as the transition point of the show. Glad it is still around.

Moment of Surrender-This is a great song, one of their best this decade and definitely in the top tier of U2 songs, I think. I'm happy it's being played still, and while at first, I wanted 40 or Love is Blindness or something rocking to close 360, it has settled into this spot nicely and I can't see where else to put it.

Overall, I'd like to see Breathe and No Line return but only as rotational songs. I really don't want them to stop playing Bad, I Will Follow, Out of Control, EBTTRT, Zooropa, etc, etc just so they can load the set up with NLOTH songs.

I mean, we bitch and bitch about "greatest hits" or "nostalgia acts" here, but is anyone here really desperate to part with any of the awesome 80s and 90s songs they've brought back since the NLOTH songs stopped getting played all the time??

That being said, it's U2 and they're still doing 4 or 5 songs written since 2009, which is expected for them and is great that they stay current. They could rotate in Breathe and NLOTH(the 2 best, I think) and have 1 more without any significant loss to the back catalog representation.

I'm a big fan of Sexy Boots and Moment of Surrender, and want them both to stay.

Crazy Tonight can stay as long as it needs to. It's a unique moment in the show. If there is another song that can play that same role, I'd be all for maybe dropping Crazy Tonight for it.

Magnificent will be best rested and dropped to rotator status.

Unknown Caller, Breathe, NLOTH would be good to feature in alternate shows.

Fez deserves a debut, Stand Up Comedy too. Very curious to see how Cedarse would translate live. Beautiful song. Replace Scarlet with Cedarse maybe?

NLOTH and Breathe . . . missing out on seeing these two beauties live was the only real downer about the Oz shows for me :shrug: (yes, yes, yes we were blessed with some gorgeous gorgeous gems so perhaps I sound greedy . . . but I would happily have said sayonara to IALW and Walk On or Stuck for both those NLOTH babies) . . . my :twocents:

I love Crazy Tonight. It's fun, and the crowd really gets into it. I certainly don't think it should survive to see another tour, but it's a fun, unique moment in the 360 show.

I could take or leave Magnificent. I initially thought the song would be huge live, but it just isn't (especially now that they've gotten rid of the intro). Same goes for Breathe and Unknown Caller, and I don't miss either of them at all.

Boots is overkill with both Vertigo and Elevation still being played every night.

NLOTH was a missed opportunity. I wish they'd try it again. I wanted it to be the opener, but now I'd be sad if they moved or removed EBTTRT. I still would like to see NLOTH reappear elsewhere in the set.

MOS is a good closer, but I wish they'd rotate it with 40.

MOS is a good closer, but I wish they'd rotate it with 40.

:) *disclaimer . . . the following statement has no basis in fact*

I've always thought that if they ever bought '40' back as a closer it would be because it was for a 'farewell tour' of sorts :shrug: and I actually really, really like MOS as a closer (the hublet and another casual fan friend who came to a show with me in sydders were also pleasantly suprised by how gorgeous it was) . . . and, as fond as my memories of '40' closing out their shows are, MOS just seems a little more fitting for where the band are now; a more 'grown up' choice if you will :)

I've always thought that if they ever bought '40' back as a closer it would be because it was for a 'farewell tour' of sorts :shrug:

Was the Vertigo Tour a farewell tour? :wink:

As for my feelings on the NLOTH songs:

NLOTH: The best live song from the album, and one of the best songs in the set. It's a crime this is gone.
Magnificent: Two weeks ago I wouldn't have cared too much if it stayed or goed, with a mild inclination towards keeping it. Now that the intro's been hacked off and Tutu's been forced into it? Time to go.
MOS: Honestly never did all that much for me, though that's partly a function of the fact I don't like much of the encore and by the time MOS came up, I was just ready to head home. Decent but unremarkable.
Unknown Caller: Vaguely miss it.
Crazy Tonight: Remix is a tour highlight. I'm impressed it has survived for the whole tour. I'll miss it when it's gone, since it's obviously not about to be repeated on a future tour.
Boots: I don't mind that it's there. Wouldn't weep for it if it disappeared, but while we're on the 360 Tour, it might as well stick around. Fun enough live.
Breathe: Good riddance.

Get On Your Boots U2's worst song ever. hands down. don't come in and say "er..no it's actually Miami/Red Light/Twilight (Demo)" because that's bollocks. I made a post in another thread saying I found it hard to believe NLOTH basically gets nothing of a live airing, completely forgetting that this car crash of a song gets a nightly airing...

it's just crap, if one of U2 woke up on the tour bus one night suddenly and realised "oh god, we've been playing THAT?!" came to his senses and stopped the band ever playing it again, the world would be a better place. The fact that it even made it past the demo stage, let alone the actual fucking ALBUM...the first single from that album...while Breathe and NLOTH are dropped live, is ridiculous and one of the few genuine problems I have with U2...

Get On Your Boots U2's worst song ever. hands down. don't come in and say "er..no it's actually Miami/Red Light/Twilight (Demo)" because that's bollocks. I made a post in another thread saying I found it hard to believe NLOTH basically gets nothing of a live airing, completely forgetting that this car crash of a song gets a nightly airing...

it's just crap, if one of U2 woke up on the tour bus one night suddenly and realised "oh god, we've been playing THAT?!" came to his senses and stopped the band ever playing it again, the world would be a better place. The fact that it even made it past the demo stage, let alone the actual fucking ALBUM...the first single from that album...while Breathe and NLOTH are dropped live, is ridiculous and one of the few genuine problems I have with U2...

Well shit, I think you just took the crown for king of hyperbole off me.

I really miss NLOTH & Breathe. Top 3 songs from the album and now just a memory.

Breathe should be played later in the show. Maybe instead of Walk On or after Streets. Crowd needed to be in the groove to hear Breathe.

As for NLOTH?? Was so epic live.

It's a weird thing, but while I'd love NLOTH and Breathe to still be in the set, if I were to replace any songs from the current setlist, my first choices wouldn't be songs from the current album at all. It just wasn't one that translated very well live ... (...or on record).

I only miss UC. It came of beautiful live and I really enjoyed the crowd singing along even if the lyrics were on the screen, plus the little look into the underworld and Edge's solo all made it a very memorable moment in the show. That being said, I don't want to see it back for N.A. We already got that song, let's try SUC or WAS or something else now. I'm kinda worried with all the rehearsing of it that they might put it back in the set for one of the other songs we didn't hear on the first leg around.

Other than that, I think the album versions of almost every song they did were better than how they came off live. NLOTH gets a lot of love but I thought the live version felt underwhelming and lacked something to really make it the wall of sound it was on the album.

Oh, boy, list time! :D
Breathe: This was great live, though maybe not as an opener. Seems like it could have worked at the start of the encore...
Magnificent: Glad it's still in the setlist, and I actually quite like the new version. I'd like it even more if it had the original intro, though.
Boots: It's fun live, though I'm not sure it'll be a fixture on later tours. The "let me in the sound" intro might be the best part.
UC: Wasn't quite epic as it wanted to be live, though it certainly had potential. A rework (and a fixed ending) could be awesome...just don't expect the audience to sing along.
NLOTH: :sad:
It seems like it'd work quite well after EBTTRT, too.
Crazy Tonight: Ten years from now, this is one of those moments that EVERYONE, hardcore and casual fans alike, will remember from 360. Don't know if it'll work on later tours, but it's more than deserved its status as a setlist fixture on this one.
MOS: Beautiful closer that's really come into its own as the tour has gone on.

I would like to hear Breathe or NLOTH again.. rather instead of Magnificent, which never really took live. UC was pretty cool too, but perhaps not every night. Could be rotated. Crazy and MOS are pretty damn awesome. Crazy remix is fuckin' amazing, and MOS is a beautiful haunting song that works as good closer. It took me 2 years to finally 'get' the song, but now I do love it.

I still think the problem live w/

-Breathe
-NLOTH
-UC
-Magnificent (version 1)

were the visuals. Based on U2 touring history they've always put interesting visuals/effects with new songs. This always gave the audience a welcome or something to relate too with the song.

Give those songs the effects they deserve with the claw and the crowd would have been more receptive. Heck, Breathe & NLOTH basically had the same visuals working.

I like NLOTH, but I think Bono doesnt do a good vocal performance on either the album or live and it kind of ruins it for me. He sounds way too strained and whiny (IMO). I think it was stretching his voice and that was probably the main reason for the drop. I still wonder why he didnt choose to sing the song in a deeper voice, I believe it would have sounded much better.

Give those songs the effects they deserve with the claw and the crowd would have been more receptive. Heck, Breathe & NLOTH basically had the same visuals working.
Breathe barely even HAD visuals...just plain white lights on the band and the Claw with a plain camera feed on the screen. To think that they were using THAT to introduce possibly the most sophisticated rock stage ever built is kind of insane.
NLOTH was (marginally) better...the ocean visuals were a nice shout-out to the cover, at least. Still a bit drab, though.

Breathe barely even HAD visuals...just plain white lights on the band and the Claw with a plain camera feed on the screen. To think that they were using THAT to introduce possibly the most sophisticated rock stage ever built is kind of insane.
NLOTH was (marginally) better...the ocean visuals were a nice shout-out to the cover, at least. Still a bit drab, though.

More I think of it, NLOTH should have opened.

-Band walks out
-Lights go down (stadium in complete darkness)
-Guitar feedback (like studio version) going off
-Then BAM, lights on everywhere!!

I figured Breathe would have strobe effects kind of like UTEOW. The only problem I had w/ Breathe live was the way Edge's guitar sounded during the solo, especially the outro :wave:

NLOTH should come back. It was a fantastic addition to the set.

Breathe was great! But not as an opener...replace Walk On with it.

Unknown Caller would be a welcome addition to the set.

I love Magnificent>Mysterious Ways. I'm glad they've kept that song.

GOYB, not my favorite NLOTH song, but it gets the crowd going and it works well right before Magnificent.

Crazy Tonight - a fun song that I'm glad they've stuck with.

MOS - fantastic song. My favorite song U2 has put out in the past decade. I'm so ecstatic that they close with it each night.

Breathe - Like many of you, I want the song back, but not as an opener

Magnificent - I like it, but they don't have to play it every night

Boots - LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT live! The thing is I never liked it on the album, but I am feeling it live. I liked Magnificent better on the album, but live it's the opposite.

UC - I'd like to hear it again

NLOTH - Want it back NOW!

Crazy Tonight - I still go crazy to it, so it's a keeper :sexywink: Too bad they didn't keep the Discotheque snippet in there or tried experimenting with mofo.

MOS - Just a beautiful way to end the show. You can feel how much energy Bono is putting into singing that song and I get rather emotinal every time I hear it.

For the record, the Discotheque snippet is back in Crazy Tonight. :) Been playing that at the Mexican shows.

I really like the snippet.

I think we can all put discotheque to rest for this tour, I think they believe it would be too redundant with the Crazy tonight remix and all (plus, the riffs are not that dissimilar). And obviously with the minimal NLOTH material anyways, I think they are going to choose Crazy over Discotheque in this scenario... I guess we will just have to take what we can get with the snippets as I would be really surprised if it makes a full appearance.

Back
Top Bottom