Miss the NLOTH songs? Or not?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's the 12th track on the Japanese CD.

Seriously, you consider it an ATYCLB song?

Each his own, of course, I just think of it as a Million Dollar Hotel song.

UHm, not just the japanese. Also the European and Australian cds. That's what I'd call the majority. So yeah, I consider it an ATYCLB song.

UHm, not just the japanese. Also the European and Australian cds. That's what I'd call the majority. So yeah, I consider it an ATYCLB song.

UK and Australian limited editions, so really the minority...

My Danish-bought ATYCLB ends at Grace, and so does the vast majority of ATYCLB albums out there.

I can see why you'd argue that Fast Cars is a HTDAAB song, but this is different. It was on the soundtrack for a movie, what was it, six months before ATYCLB was even released?

Bono didn't even write the lyrics.

Yet the song's credited as a U2 song. I don't see much of a difference between Fast Cars and TGBHF. Both are added songs that didn't end up on the US version, but most people still have it and as far as I was aware consider it part of the album.

The All That You Can't Leave Behind songs are the weakest link for me. It's obvious why they play Beautiful Day. Elevation has lots of energy, but the song itself is weak, No Line On The Horizon is a much better song. Stuck and In A Little While put me to sleep and Walk On was a good closer during the Elevation Tour but is nothing special these days.
this.

it still baffles me why they expect the casual fans - the ones who make up the bulk of who they play to each night - to have the words to every new song memorised. i'm sure the casuals who saw them during the lovetown tour didn't know all the words to hawkmoon. their logic is fucked up.

and people in general not flipping out and singing along to the album tracks isn't how these casuals are reacting to their music, it's how they are in general. times have changed, now more than ever it's just about the single. listen to it off youtube, maybe buy it off itunes for a buck. occasionally a casual fan will become a bonafide fan and buy their albums, but for the most part these guys are coming to hear beautiful day, pride, and streets and that's all they're going to pay attention to.

i just wish they'd say "fuck it" and just do what they want. they recemented their place as a huge rock band again in 2000 and have stayed there. if nloth "flopping" with casual fans didn't kill it, them digging in their heels and continuing to play breathe, unknown caller, and nloth live sure as hell won't.

and yeah, i think tgbhf is an atyclb song. sure it's also on the m$h soundtrack and was on there first. buuuuuuuuut so was stay, it appeared on a soundtrack too and was even written for the film. the only difference here is stay appeared on zooropa no matter where you bought it. but this is just being silly and splitting hairs.

Yet the song's credited as a U2 song. I don't see much of a difference between Fast Cars and TGBHF. Both are added songs that didn't end up on the US version, but most people still have it and as far as I was aware consider it part of the album.

There's the thing you see. Most people don't have it. Of course, most U2 fans have it, but the majority of ATYCLB owners have probably never heard of it.

In addition, it doesn't sound like the rest of the album at all. It doesn't fit musically.

Of course, I love the song, and people can arrange their iTunes library however they want, but if you go down and buy a copy of ATYCLB, it's not on the album.

And, to get back to the discussion, I really miss NLOTH and Unknown Caller.
I really hope they'll resurface in the future. I also really enjoyed the 'busker version' of NLOTH, I don't understand why that was just a one-off. Here's to hoping for the next tour.

i just wish they'd say "fuck it" and just do what they want.

Shouldn't this read "i just wish they'd say "fuck it" and just do what I want."?

That's really all it comes down to with these discussions. People just want to hear different songs because they like them. The band is perfectly happy with these current variations of the setlist. I highly doubt they are going out there every night depressed that they have to play With Or Without You again, like people around here act. It's not like backstage they all embrace and say "oh how i wish we could play Indian Summer Sky, JUST ONCE!" They enjoy these songs obviously, why can't people just accept that?

Shouldn't this read "i just wish they'd say "fuck it" and just do what I want."?

That's really all it comes down to with these discussions. People just want to hear different songs because they like them. The band is perfectly happy with these current variations of the setlist. I highly doubt they are going out there every night depressed that they have to play With Or Without You again, like people around here act. It's not like backstage they all embrace and say "oh how i wish we could play Indian Summer Sky, JUST ONCE!" They enjoy these songs obviously, why can't people just accept that?

I want your lifetime backstagepass to find this out for myself if you don't mind

Why would you need to go backstage to realize something like that? It's much easier to see that they are happy with the tour and the songs they are playing by watching them on stage. It's no secret at all. Unless someone wants to be cynical and say that it's all just an act to cover up some stifled musical freedom they aren't enjoying.

Why would you need to go backstage to realize something like that? It's much easier to see that they are happy with the tour and the songs they are playing by watching them on stage. It's no secret at all. Unless someone wants to be cynical and say that it's all just an act to cover up some stifled musical freedom they aren't enjoying.

I guess I forgot to add a smiley...:lol:

European countries, outside of UK, didn't have that song. So I don't think most people have it.

Looks like Maginificent is now gone as well. That leaves only 3 songs from NLOTH in the setlist, right? (Boots, Crazy, MOS).

Has U2 ever abandoned an album they were touring like this - on that album's very tour - before? I don't think so. Even with Zooropa and Pop - which were simliarly less known/appreciated, they stuck with most of the songs through the tour.

They seem to be embarrassed by the crowd reaction to NLOTH. Too bad. IMO, the three they have kept should be complimented by Breathe and NLOTH at minimum. But at this point I guess we should be glad they are playing ANYTHING from NLOTH.

This truly has turned into U2's first ever "greatest hits" tour.

There's the thing you see. Most people don't have it. Of course, most U2 fans have it, but the majority of ATYCLB owners have probably never heard of it.

In addition, it doesn't sound like the rest of the album at all. It doesn't fit musically.

Of course, I love the song, and people can arrange their iTunes library however they want, but if you go down and buy a copy of ATYCLB, it's not on the album.

I'm also in the non-ATYCLB camp.

It's only on 10%(maybe 15%) of the albums out there worldwide. No vinyl or promos. Not album sequenced. IIRC, always listed as "bonus track". Words by Rushdie and slide riff by Lanois.

The fact that they've left some of the NLOTH songs off the '11 setlists have me trying to make a show.

I really tried to like that album, but it never happened. Not sure that I've listened to the album from start to finish since I saw a 360 show October '09.

Probably dug four of the NLOTH songs at the show I saw: Breathe, Magnificent, Unknown Caller (never liked the song much but really liked it at the show) & Crazy Tonight.

MOS is easily my least favorite show closer in all the years I've been seeing them.

Vertigo setlist had a better mix (for me) of new and old songs than the 360 setlist did.

With that being said, I dig the changes to the '11 setlist and am still trying to see if I can scrape up enough to make it to Nashville next week! :hyper:

catlhere said:
psh, if they're truly over the moon about, say, playing the tired version of sbs night after night that they do, then fine.

but quotes they've made about nloth suggest they would still play the tunes if the whole stadium loved them. i think they just overestimate casual fans.

Back
Top Bottom