MERGED - > Opening night issues/ Bono's Outburst - What do you make of this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What bothered me more than the Edge bit was how much he seemed to be on Terry's case throughout the entire Streets > One section.

Wasn't he thanking Terry? Maybe I missed that part...:scratch:

Once I swore I heard him go STOP IT, Terry. Then at another point, I just kept hearing him sound like he was snapping at Terry during the worst of the One muck-ups. If I was wrong, I'm glad.

Yes it does because that simply wouldn't happen with Queen. Bands should not treat 1st nights as effective rehearsals- people have paid for those tickets.

I don't know why I'm jumping in on this, but to add my two cents - I saw Queen twice, once during the "Game" tour and once during the "Hot Space" tour. Both shows has significant screwups by the band - admittedly not as bad as the "One" performance we're discussing, but pretty bad nonetheless. During "Fat Bottomed Girls" in '80, Roger came in on drums way too early while Brian was still playing the opening guitar riff which led to the song being a complete mess through the first verse.

At the Hot Space show I caught, Brian's guitar was wildly out of tune during the opening song "We Will Rock You" to the point Mercury was right next to May shouting at him over the noise about it.

And one thing I can say about both shows and many Queen bootlegs I've seen and heard as well - their set was almost always *very* poorly paced with long gaps in between groups of songs while they switch instruments.

They weren't perfect.

T.B.

Really...an outburst usually involves anger, say like Edgie at the end of this diddy:

YouTube - U2 - Gone live from Boston

or like Mikal belittling his wife and infant child after being unable to watch his beloved Super Bowl XXXI DVD.

After watching this again, either he was trying to be a rock star on fire or he was pissed because it seemed like they were going fast??

Once I swore I heard him go STOP IT, Terry. Then at another point, I just kept hearing him sound like he was snapping at Terry during the worst of the One muck-ups. If I was wrong, I'm glad.

If anything, I think he was telling his IEM mixer to get Terry's (keyboard) information out of his mix.

Just to add a little to the discussion. From Neil McCormick's Twitter last night: "Edge says no keyboard sequence in One, just weird harmonic distortion throwing Bono off. Should've known it wasn't Edge'"

I asked him today how the band felt about the first gig. " The band were very happy, actually. & I wasn't trying to burst anybody's bubble. The love of 90,000 goes a long way"

What was the main problem? I heard Bono had alotta different voices in his ear annoying him, and yes he can be seen constantly poking at his in ear, I also heard that Edge was way outta tune, and listening to the youtube clip this seems to be true he sounds terrible! lotta mistakes, also the backround synth was off, prolly cause Bono kept throwing the band back to the verse,

anyway I'm sure this argument is well settled by the band now, but it was v nasty and v unprofessional by Bono to single out his band mates like that,

I agree v strange that this was the tune to go off the rails, they played it so many times before!!!!!

It sounds like Bono was thrown off by the keyboards and asked the band to play the same verse again. The band did not get it and so the mess ensued.

You can hear him call up someone to take Terry's keyboards off the mix

I don't think it was an outburst, more of a lack of communication, made more difficult by the fact that Terry is underground and if there's any change in the structure of a song it's difficult to communicate with the whole band.

But yes, it's really small fry, people who have been so shocked are probably not so familiar with the band.

I think they did not rehearse the old songs so much (probably were concentrating on the new ones) and so things like this happen. I think that, appart from Zoo TV and Elevation, opening nights tend to be not so great concerts. On the other hand you have the excitement of being there the first time and experiencing a completely new show.

Big deal. Bono could have "scatted" his way out of it. When he screws up (and he did hundreds of times in the same show) you don't see Edge stop the song and start over. Or he could have done a little speech during the song about how the future needs a big kiss. That being said though...

:sad: I hope Terry's okay

what's the big fuss about? The audience seemed to be loving it - if I'd been there I would've been thrilled, one of the rare occasions you get to see U2 interacting with eachother like that during the song. Bono wasn't "singling out" his band mates at all, he was just talking to them. "singling out" implies that he was pissed off or giving out to them and it didn't sound like that at all... I hardly think you can call that "an argument".

I'm surprised to hear that Terry was actually playing the keyboard bits though - I always thoughts they just used a backing track for the strings, like a pre recorded, fixed track? No?

Don't get me wrong. I hope it was just first night jitters, whatever. But to call out your bandmates like that didn't sound okay at all. I've only been to a few concerts of theirs; listened to bootlegs -- wow, I never seen/heard that kind of outburst ...

Never expected that from Bono.

Guess you missed the Zoo TV show (was it Vancouver? Or Portland?) where Bono pitched a microphone at Larry when he messed up the intro to Pride. And that was well into the tour.

Better to say something than to throw equipment at them.

Don't get me wrong. I hope it was just first night jitters, whatever. But to call out your bandmates like that didn't sound okay at all. I've only been to a few concerts of theirs; listened to bootlegs -- wow, I never seen/heard that kind of outburst ...

Never expected that from Bono.

That was no where near an "outburst". I'm guessing some of you only listen to U2?

This is so nothing -- it's hilarious. Most bands break up five years into their careers and look at U2 going strong at 30 plus years.

It wasn't an outburst -- it was them talking it out on stage. Even if it was, they are brothers and Irish. Irish brothers fight amongst themselves and love each other.

I write with a partner. And we fight all the time, but we also really like each other too. It's part of the process.

I think it shows them being human and really live -- not some track. It's part of the fun!

This isn't shit compared to listening to Bono scream at every one on "The Working Tapes" for Achtung Baby. They are perfectionists and passionate about what they do. They also get exponentially better as the tours go on.

I don't remember Bono "screaming" at anyone on the Salome tapes, I just remember him giving callouts when to switch from verse to chourus etc...

"Bridge..... bridge................BRIDGE...................BRIDGE!!!!!!!!!!

That's not "screaming at"... That's how musicians improvise, one has to take the lead as to conduct when the change should come in, and yes you have to use a loud voice voice sometimes to do so even when miced.

What was the main problem? I heard Bono had alotta different voices in his ear annoying him, and yes he can be seen constantly poking at his in ear, I also heard that Edge was way outta tune, and listening to the youtube clip this seems to be true he sounds terrible! lotta mistakes, also the backround synth was off, prolly cause Bono kept throwing the band back to the verse,

Bono was standing almost right in front of me when it happened during One. From what I could see it seemed his monitor was out of sync or something like that. The reports I'm reading now more or less confirm my initial thought. The Edge didn't sound out of tune or terrible at all.

anyway I'm sure this argument is well settled by the band now, but it was v nasty and v unprofessional by Bono to single out his band mates like that,

I disagree here. It was not an unprofessional action by Bono, he wasn't singling out his band mates. I thought it was very interesting to watch, as I could see that Bono was getting a bit anxious while directing his band members (asking for the verse to be played again, directing Adam and then Edge). Bono often gives signals with his hands to direct the others, but this time that apparently didn't work. So he had to speak up. And in the end they did get the song together again.
:up:

I watched + listened to the bootlegs. Bono forgot the words and basically got frustrated at edge for it. The rest of the band was fine- but Bono needs a 360 teleprompter or something for when he decides to venture away from it like he did.

I just thought it was really funny that Bono was getting aggravated during freaking One! Of all songs- it's the one about the band "togetherness". It was I think just another funny moment- oh! Maybe they are going for irony again like ZooTV and Popmart! It's a throwback to the 90s!

After watching this again, either he was trying to be a rock star on fire or he was pissed because it seemed like they were going fast??

It was an issue with his guitar iir. Which he resolved by smashing and kicking it. I was in the heart, a few feet from Edge, there was genuine anger in his expression, a rare thing. The DVD is funny as they spliced footage from hight 1 and night 2 and Edge's guitar switches from red to black and back again since he had to use a different one night 2.

It's not an outburst. It's pretty lame that they screwed up a simple song that they've played hundreds of times, but it happens. I saw Sonic Youth the other day and the drummer came in a bar early on Anti-Orgasm (i think) but they kept playing and fell back in easily. Bands screw up. Bono should really improve his memory though, get some tapes or something.

Back
Top Bottom