MERGED - > Opening night issues/ Bono's Outburst - What do you make of this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow, really? It was a simple, first-night screw up. It's not like Bono flipped on the whole band and started swearing. I mean c'mon, no one is perfect. :doh:

Wow people like to gripe. I'd happily attend u2's worse show ever. And I'd bet it would be better than tons of other shows I've seen. :D

the first San Diego show on Vertigo was absolutely dreadful. I'd decided then never to attend opening shows again for U2.

But I was still jealous of all the people in Barcelona today!:wink:

In my opinion, the first night of Vertigo San Diego was perfection! I was so psyched to be there for such a perfect night! :)

Seriously, to call that an outburst is a joke. He was just trying to get them all on the same page. Saw them do the same thing last tour, Anaheim 2 show, they had to start 40 over. No big deal. In fact, I was diassapointed when I watched the clip after reading the title of this post, I was expecting some screaming and a few F bombs. Damn. :lol:

Sounds better than most first shows to me, judging just from 128kbps mp3 audio. Hope a lossless will surface soon.

Haven't they been reheasing for a lot longer than usual before tours, including full dress rehearsals with the stage. If so, they should have the songs down pat by now.

wow, bono who would have been experiencing opening night jitters said to edge "listen to me for a minute edge"...... not even in a nasty way either (ive just listened to it)

sorry to blow steam up anybodys ass who disagrees, but what he's doing is trying to grab attention rather then have a go at/repremand.

no drama whatsoever. bands fuck up sometimes, thats cool with me.

EDIT: also, being at the brisbane vertigo show was insane (first show on the 5th leg), there were some massive fuck ups (they didnt have to stop any songs, but each member of the band fucked it at some point) and its still by far the best gig i have seen by and band ever!

Last edited:
Haven't they been reheasing for a lot longer than usual before tours, including full dress rehearsals with the stage. If so, they should have the songs down pat by now.

Again- I think it was Bono's mixer who messed up first, which threw Bono's timing off.

I see Interference is a teacup and somebody ordered a storm.

Why is there a separate thread for this crap? This is not an outburst. Obviously the original poster has never experienced an outburst. I would think a Bono outburst looked somehow different. Seriously, this is ridiculous. U2 screwed up much more badly in other shows. What's the big deal here? If stuff isn't working, it's totally ok for Bono to say something and for them to start again. Other bands are having issues as well. This is U2, things always go wrong on opening nights. I hope it won't become a new tradition on this board to open a thread about any "issues" U2 might be having in concerts, that's just lame. Let's hope they can work on their hiccups and even them out.

Btw, you cannot except the band to remain "cool" on opening night when things obviously go wrong. Shit happens, and it's human to get emotional under these circumstances. Still, this was no outburst. I understand they're frustrated, especially Bono.

To be honest it sounds like Bono was justified in his comments to Edge anyway, he was trying to conduct the band back into cohesion and the Edge is just playing out of tune lead parts. Hopefully the band aren't too pissed off with their performance this morning and I'm sure it'll be an absolutely incredible show before too long once the creases are ironed out

Opening night of Elevation is and always will be one of the most magical and amazing nights ever. That show was incredible.

Ok first off, if you've never tried to play these songs you have no right to complain about Edge - I doubt any guitarist EVER has made it through his entire career without a LOAD of slips, and U2 have had far, far fewer live screwups than most bands. This is the first time I've ever noticed a big slip for U2 live and that's a huge compliment when you actually think about it...

Yeah I think it was probably a mistake to stop the song and reverse like that, the #1 rule I always have when playing live is "if we make any mistakes just forget about them and don't stop playing, at all costs keep the momentum of the song going". Bono decided otherwise and hey, it's U2 we're talking about - I don't think anyone can claim they know what works for U2 better than, well, U2 :D

Sounds like an epic show all the same. But it;s true what everyone's saying - the first night of the tour, while being the most hyped, is the most likely night for things to go a bit wrong from time to time.

Ok first off, if you've never tried to play these songs you have no right to complain about Edge - I doubt any guitarist EVER has made it through his entire career without a LOAD of slips, and U2 have had far, far fewer live screwups than most bands. This is the first time I've ever noticed a big slip for U2 live and that's a huge compliment when you actually think about it...

Yeah I think it was probably a mistake to stop the song and reverse like that, the #1 rule I always have when playing live is "if we make any mistakes just forget about them and don't stop playing, at all costs keep the momentum of the song going". Bono decided otherwise and hey, it's U2 we're talking about - I don't think anyone can claim they know what works for U2 better than, well, U2 :D

Las Vegas anyone?? :wink:

I am sorry but we are not talking about the Comfortably Numb solo from David Gillmour here. Any idiot with 2 normal functioning hands and some knowledge of a guitar can play One and we are talking about a band that makes millions a night because they wrote it(it's their job remember). Off course little mistakes do happen but this sounded like crap and even like they never played the song before(in a bad way that is and not the usual overexitement during a first version)

Outburst? No

hahah This isnt an outburst at all. At one point Bono even says "it's cool" I am actually impressed how they picked up after Bono counted them in. One has been stale for a while now anyway, and I am sure they havent practiced it that much if at all.

It's opening night bugs in the machinery...they were probably nervous. Everyone said Larry look pissed off and Bono was pissy and Edge was a little off...Adam always is cool as ice. But it's opening night of a HUGE tour, people. Mistakes are bound to happen and no band, not even U2, are perfect. Give them a break.

As long as Bono doesn't fall off his monkey swingy thingy and break something, we're cool.

I have watched this on U Tube it looks excruciating but.

If you watch Bono he is holding his in ear monitors which to me suggests that he couldnt hear where he was in the song.
Until he asked the band to go back it was fine. I dont think for one second the band forgot how to play the song.

Still painfull to watch though.

I will say when they picked it back up his voice was great!!

hey Bono fucked WOWY he was on a different key.
What i loved waxs how the Spanish crowd carreid them. I would call this a warmup show. But the corwd loved it.

last night, i instructed my wife on how to set up our new dvd player. someone should start a thread about it and say that i beat her up.

last night, i instructed my wife on how to set up our new dvd player. someone should start a thread about it and say that i beat her up.
Only if I can call the thread "Why Did Mikal LIE About Instructing His Wife On How To Set Up The DVD Player?"

:wink:

Back
Top Bottom