Leg 3... Setlist 1 and 2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JDon169

The Fly
What about 2 Setlists with some Parts that are in both but keep it fresh for Band and Fans...

Setlist 1/ Setlist 2

Gloria/ Out of Control
Breathe/ Breathe
Boots/ Boots
Magnificent/ Magnificent
Mysterious Ways/ Mysterious Ways
MLK/ October
Wire/ Wire
2 Hearts Beat as 1/ 2 Hearts Beat as 1
Beautiful Day/ Beautiful Day
NLOTH/ NLOTH
Unknown caller/ Unknown caller
UTEOTW/ UTEOTW
U Fire/ U Fire
COBL / COBL
IGCIDGCT / IGCIDGCT
Electric Co. / 11 Tick Tock
Walk On/40 / Walk On/40
------------ -------------
One/ One
Streets / Streets
New Years Day / New Years Day
I Will Follow / Sort of Homecoming
MO Surrender / MO Surrender

Last edited:
The idea of opening with a non-new album track seems to be gaining some popularity on these boards lately. I am very much against it!:ohmy: I don't want U2 to turn into a greatest hits band, like the Rolling Stones, that people just go to see to hear the best of. I actually think that they are in danger of this right now.

Breathe is fine as an opener, FEZ-BB would be better, or maybe we can pick something from Songs of Ascent soon. I don't want an old song as the opener, and personally when I'm at the show each tour, its the new songs I'm most excited to hear!:hyper:

The idea of opening with a non-new album track seems to be gaining some popularity on these boards lately. I am very much against it!:ohmy: I don't want U2 to turn into a greatest hits band, like the Rolling Stones, that people just go to see to hear the best of. I actually think that they are in danger of this right now.

I'm sorry but the current Setlist is exactly this problem you speak of. It is all their Greatest Hits and no raw U2. Just look at the songs they choose Pre ATYCLB
(WOWY,SBS,UF,One, Streets)
Now we know they obviously feel they need to play SOME of these but I think they have lost sight of how deep their Catalogue is and to me are playing the wrong workhorses. Hopefully we will see more adventuresome setlists on leg 3, because it feels like U2 Light to me right now:drool:

Last edited:
What about 2 Setlists with some Parts that are in both but keep it fresh for Band and Fans...

Setlist 1/ Setlist 2

Gloria/ Out of Control
Breathe/ Breathe
Boots/ Boots
Magnificent/ Magnificent
Mysterious Ways/ Mysterious Ways
MLK/ October
Wire/ Wire
2 Hearts Beat as 1/ 2 Hearts Beat as 1
Beautiful Day/ Beautiful Day
NLOTH/ NLOTH
Unknown caller/ Unknown caller
UTEOTW/ UTEOTW
U Fire/ U Fire
COBL / COBL
IGCIDGCT / IGCIDGCT
Electric Co. / 11 Tick Tock
Walk On/40 / Walk On/40
------------ -------------
One/ One
Streets / Streets
New Years Day / New Years Day
I Will Follow / Sort of Homecoming
MO Surrender / MO Surrender

Opening with an old song? No thank you.

3 songs from the 90's? You're even ignoring that decade more than the band themselves :lol:

This setlist kinda looks like someone's stuck in the 80's.

I'm sorry but the current Setlist is exactly this problem you speak of. It is all their Greatest Hits and no raw U2. Just look at the songs they choose Pre ATYCLB
(WOWY,SBS,UF,One, Streets)
Now we know they obviously feel they need to play SOME of these but I think they have lost sight of how deep their Catalogue is and to me are playing the wrong workhorses. Hopefully we will see more adventuresome setlists on leg 3, because it feels like U2 Light to me right now:drool:

Well, I think you understand why I say they are in danger of becoming a greatest hits band.... 6 or 7 songs from the new album is something, and they do start the set with new songs - which is good - but I want the show to be MORE about the new, about taking us somewhere we've never been before and less about nostalgia. Walk On has no business in the setlist, and really there shouldn't be more than 2 MAX songs from ATYCLB. Nostalgia is less interresting to me than progress...

You list a lot of very early songs in the setlist. That would be interesting to a degree, but it's still looking backwards.

Opening with an old song? No thank you.

3 songs from the 90's? You're even ignoring that decade more than the band themselves :lol:

This setlist kinda looks like someone's stuck in the 80's.

And Two hearts beat as one a regular? No thanks. I'm not entirely sure the flow is right in this setlist either... Mysterious ways > MLK/October > Wire?

I hope U2 are going to do whatever the hell they like next tour, to completely mindfuck the setlist complainers here. Can't wait for the bitching. :happy:

Nostalgia is less interresting to me than progress...

Niceman, why do I always end up agreeing with you? :wink:

For the record, I'd be thrilled if they played the Norman/Phoenix/Vegas/LA/Vancouver set every night for the rest of the tour if they didn't release SOA before leg three. The ONLY thing that I would like to see changed on it is YBR instead of IALW, and that's not a major complaint, because I do like IALW! I just like YBR more, and I think it fits better into the setlist. Stay instead of Stuck would be nice, too, but I don't care about the acoustic spot. I used to hate the fact that EL UH VAY SHUN was a regular, but NLOTH->Elevation->YBR/IALW strikes me as a pretty genius way of getting the space theme working while keeping the non-diehards happy.

Niceman, why do I always end up agreeing with you? :wink:

For the record, I'd be thrilled if they played the Norman/Phoenix/Vegas/LA/Vancouver set every night for the rest of the tour if they didn't release SOA before leg three. The ONLY thing that I would like to see changed on it is YBR instead of IALW, and that's not a major complaint, because I do like IALW! I just like YBR more, and I think it fits better into the setlist. Stay instead of Stuck would be nice, too, but I don't care about the acoustic spot. I used to hate the fact that EL UH VAY SHUN was a regular, but NLOTH->Elevation->YBR/IALW strikes me as a pretty genius way of getting the space theme working while keeping the non-diehards happy.

Because I'm so wise, and you're smart enough to notice? ;) lol!

I'd change a little more. I want Walk On to go, and I wouldn't mind hearing some more from NLOTH -ESPECIALLY FEZ-BB. Stuck and Elevation are so done, so overplayed. Yes, they are fine live, but so are so many other songs... YBR was incredible when I saw them, so it's diappointing that it isn't played more.

But I think the 360 tour is an amazing show! :)

(And I actually think IALW is the best song on ATYCLB!)

I hope U2 are going to do whatever the hell they like next tour, to completely mindfuck the setlist complainers here. Can't wait for the bitching. :happy:[/QUOTE]

Wow, do they really decide what they are going to play? I thought MTV sent them the setlist.

But I think the 360 tour is an amazing show! :)

Thats the Problem they've become a spectacle when they used to stand just on their music and take more chances.

I never knew opening with an old song makes something a "greatest hits setlist". I particularly never knew U2 were a greatest hits band on the UF Tour when they opened with 11OTT/IWF! Or the War Tour when they opened with Gloria or OOC and didn't get to any new songs until the fifth song at the earliest. Or the Lovetown Tour when RAH songs opened just 10 out of 47 shows. Or the Hershey ZooTV rehearsal when they opened with SBS.

Get a grip, people. Opening with an old song =/= greatest hits setlist. Personally, I think opening with a new song has become just another U2 setlist cliche.

I never knew opening with an old song makes something a "greatest hits setlist". I particularly never knew U2 were a greatest hits band on the UF Tour when they opened with 11OTT/IWF! Or the War Tour when they opened with Gloria or OOC and didn't get to any new songs until the fifth song at the earliest. Or the Lovetown Tour when RAH songs opened just 10 out of 47 shows. Or the Hershey ZooTV rehearsal when they opened with SBS.

Get a grip, people. Opening with an old song =/= greatest hits setlist. Personally, I think opening with a new song has become just another U2 setlist cliche.

Opening with an old song early in their career was one thing. I think it would be a very different thing now.

Wow, do they really decide what they are going to play? I thought MTV sent them the setlist.

Not exactly. I think U2 do think about their audience and play what they think the audience would like to hear. I'd be very interested to hear what setlist we'd get if they would just play their own favourites.

And MTV? Since when do they do music again? Isn't that a reality tv station? :scratch:

And one of the reasons that I say it is different now has to do with the age of the song. Songs off of Boy were only 4 years old during the UF tour. HTDAAB songs are 5 during 360!

Opening with an old song early in their career was one thing. I think it would be a very different thing now.

Let's say 3 of the first 4 songs are new tracks. What difference does it make if the old song is first rather than fourth? Really?

Let's say 3 of the first 4 songs are new tracks. What difference does it make if the old song is first rather than fourth? Really?

In my opinion? I don't just want to see "U2" play. I want to experience ZOOTV or POPMART or VERTIGO, or whatever tour it is. I want to go on a journey into a place they have never taken me before. Starting ZOOTV with Zoo Station, POPMART with Popmuzik/Mofo - this was important! This was the beginning. It's cool that somewhere in the show we do take a look back and remember where we've been before, maybe re-imagine some old songs, but I am interested in the new place that I've never been before, not just the greatest hits.

In my opinion? I don't just want to see "U2" play. I want to experience ZOOTV or POPMART or VERTIGO, or whatever tour it is. I want to go on a journey into a place they have never taken me before. Starting ZOOTV with Zoo Station, POPMART with Popmuzik/Mofo - this was important! This was the beginning. It's cool that somewhere in the show we do take a look back and remember where we've been before, maybe re-imagine some old songs, but I am interested in the new place that I've never been before, not just the greatest hits.

You didn't answer my question. That whole experience is not at all dependent on what song opens the show. It's dependent on what songs are in the overall setlist and the overall vibe you create. If 3 of the first 4 songs are new, you still get a punch of new stuff regardless of where that one new song is amongst the four.

I mean, really, a Greatest Hits set is a Greatest Hits set whether or not the first song is new. A diverse, "relevant", whatever, non-Hits set is a diverse/relevant/whatever/non-Hits set whether or not the first song is new.

You didn't answer my question. That whole experience is not at all dependent on what song opens the show. It's dependent on what songs are in the overall setlist and the overall vibe you create. If 3 of the first 4 songs are new, you still get a punch of new stuff regardless of where that one new song is amongst the four.

I mean, really, a Greatest Hits set is a Greatest Hits set whether or not the first song is new. A diverse, "relevant", whatever, non-Hits set is a diverse/relevant/whatever/non-Hits set whether or not the first song is new.

I did answer your question. In my opinion it is important that the beginning of the show begin my journey into the new place U2 is going to take me.

With the opening notes they can either arrive on stage as "U2" or as "No Line on The Horizon/360." I think it would be very difficult to achieve the same effect without launching into the new material. Otherwise how is one tour any different than any other? It might be U2 1984 or 1994 0r 2009. Only the new material launches us into the new experience.

Think about how, on album, U2 starts their albums by welcoming us into the new world of that album. Big panoramic songs like WTSHNN, ZOOROPA, United Colors of Plutonium, Beautiful Day, No Line on The Horizon announce that they are not just repeating what they did last time, but taking us to a new place.:heart:

It's different with every band. I feel with U2, the opening song sets a mood and if they decided to start off with an older song then they are saying tonight we're starting out with nostalgic glory. Now if they started off with an older song they haven't played that much and it fit in with the theme of the night then by all means.

Peal Jam has been starting off with older songs, and although it's obviously not a "greatest hits" show it doesn't feel like a Backspacer tour, it does feel a little nostalgic to me.

my personal opinion is that if U2 were to not open with a new song, it would show me that they don't truly believe in their new material. now, if once in a while, just for the hell of it, they opened up with "Streets", it would be a cool change-up. but if they were to do that for a whole tour, then i would fear that they are going down the road of playing a greatest hits tour.

Thanks for making this a spirited discussion...
Do people agree the songs they are playing in the setlist seem to be a Greatest Hits set?
I just would really love to see some deeper cuts, which the newbies would like also, but I think U2 disagrees and would rather play it safe.

Thanks for making this a spirited discussion...
Do people agree the songs they are playing in the setlist seem to be a Greatest Hits set?
I just would really love to see some deeper cuts, which the newbies would like also, but I think U2 disagrees and would rather play it safe.

not at all, actually. if you take a look at the set they played at the Rose Bowl, 11 of the 24 songs were on their most recent greatest hits collection (U218).

Back
Top Bottom