Leg 3... Setlist 1 and 2? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > U2 360° Tour Central - 2009 / 2010 / 2011 Archive > Set Lists & Songs
Click Here to Login

Old 10-29-2009, 12:54 PM   #1
The Fly

Local Time: 01:51 PM
Leg 3... Setlist 1 and 2?

What about 2 Setlists with some Parts that are in both but keep it fresh for Band and Fans...

Setlist 1/ Setlist 2

Gloria/ Out of Control
Breathe/ Breathe
Boots/ Boots
Magnificent/ Magnificent
Mysterious Ways/ Mysterious Ways
MLK/ October
Wire/ Wire
2 Hearts Beat as 1/ 2 Hearts Beat as 1
Beautiful Day/ Beautiful Day
NLOTH/ NLOTH
Unknown caller/ Unknown caller
UTEOTW/ UTEOTW
U Fire/ U Fire
COBL / COBL
IGCIDGCT / IGCIDGCT
Electric Co. / 11 Tick Tock
Walk On/40 / Walk On/40
------------ -------------
One/ One
Streets / Streets
New Years Day / New Years Day
I Will Follow / Sort of Homecoming
MO Surrender / MO Surrender

Old 10-29-2009, 12:57 PM   #2
The Fly

Local Time: 06:51 AM
Totally agree with opening with an older tune like Gloria or 11 O'Clock Tick Tock. Would love to hear that.

Old 10-29-2009, 01:03 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:51 AM
The idea of opening with a non-new album track seems to be gaining some popularity on these boards lately. I am very much against it! I don't want U2 to turn into a greatest hits band, like the Rolling Stones, that people just go to see to hear the best of. I actually think that they are in danger of this right now.

Breathe is fine as an opener, FEZ-BB would be better, or maybe we can pick something from Songs of Ascent soon. I don't want an old song as the opener, and personally when I'm at the show each tour, its the new songs I'm most excited to hear!
Old 10-29-2009, 01:13 PM   #4
The Fly

[QUOTE=Niceman;6492569]The idea of opening with a non-new album track seems to be gaining some popularity on these boards lately. I am very much against it! I don't want U2 to turn into a greatest hits band, like the Rolling Stones, that people just go to see to hear the best of. I actually think that they are in danger of this right now.

I'm sorry but the current Setlist is exactly this problem you speak of. It is all their Greatest Hits and no raw U2. Just look at the songs they choose Pre ATYCLB
(WOWY,SBS,UF,One, Streets)
Now we know they obviously feel they need to play SOME of these but I think they have lost sight of how deep their Catalogue is and to me are playing the wrong workhorses. Hopefully we will see more adventuresome setlists on leg 3, because it feels like U2 Light to me right now
Old 10-29-2009, 01:22 PM   #5
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDon169 View Post
What about 2 Setlists with some Parts that are in both but keep it fresh for Band and Fans...

Setlist 1/ Setlist 2

Gloria/ Out of Control
Breathe/ Breathe
Boots/ Boots
Magnificent/ Magnificent
Mysterious Ways/ Mysterious Ways
MLK/ October
Wire/ Wire
2 Hearts Beat as 1/ 2 Hearts Beat as 1
Beautiful Day/ Beautiful Day
NLOTH/ NLOTH
Unknown caller/ Unknown caller
UTEOTW/ UTEOTW
U Fire/ U Fire
COBL / COBL
IGCIDGCT / IGCIDGCT
Electric Co. / 11 Tick Tock
Walk On/40 / Walk On/40
------------ -------------
One/ One
Streets / Streets
New Years Day / New Years Day
I Will Follow / Sort of Homecoming
MO Surrender / MO Surrender
Opening with an old song? No thank you.

3 songs from the 90's? You're even ignoring that decade more than the band themselves

This setlist kinda looks like someone's stuck in the 80's.
Old 10-29-2009, 01:28 PM   #6
The Fly

This setlist kinda looks like someone's stuck in the 80's.[/QUOTE]

Funny your songs sound that way
Old 10-29-2009, 01:29 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

[QUOTE=JDon169;6492585]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niceman View Post
The idea of opening with a non-new album track seems to be gaining some popularity on these boards lately. I am very much against it! I don't want U2 to turn into a greatest hits band, like the Rolling Stones, that people just go to see to hear the best of. I actually think that they are in danger of this right now.

I'm sorry but the current Setlist is exactly this problem you speak of. It is all their Greatest Hits and no raw U2. Just look at the songs they choose Pre ATYCLB
(WOWY,SBS,UF,One, Streets)
Now we know they obviously feel they need to play SOME of these but I think they have lost sight of how deep their Catalogue is and to me are playing the wrong workhorses. Hopefully we will see more adventuresome setlists on leg 3, because it feels like U2 Light to me right now
Well, I think you understand why I say they are in danger of becoming a greatest hits band.... 6 or 7 songs from the new album is something, and they do start the set with new songs - which is good - but I want the show to be MORE about the new, about taking us somewhere we've never been before and less about nostalgia. Walk On has no business in the setlist, and really there shouldn't be more than 2 MAX songs from ATYCLB. Nostalgia is less interresting to me than progress...

You list a lot of very early songs in the setlist. That would be interesting to a degree, but it's still looking backwards.
Old 10-29-2009, 01:31 PM   #8
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDon169 View Post
Funny your songs sound that way
Ummmmm, ok...

I didn't mean it as an insult, but thanks for giving them a listen.
Old 10-29-2009, 02:20 PM   #9
Galeonbroad

Local Time: 03:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
Opening with an old song? No thank you.

3 songs from the 90's? You're even ignoring that decade more than the band themselves

This setlist kinda looks like someone's stuck in the 80's.
And Two hearts beat as one a regular? No thanks. I'm not entirely sure the flow is right in this setlist either... Mysterious ways > MLK/October > Wire?

I hope U2 are going to do whatever the hell they like next tour, to completely mindfuck the setlist complainers here. Can't wait for the bitching.
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Old 10-29-2009, 04:21 PM   #10
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niceman View Post
Nostalgia is less interresting to me than progress...
Niceman, why do I always end up agreeing with you?

For the record, I'd be thrilled if they played the Norman/Phoenix/Vegas/LA/Vancouver set every night for the rest of the tour if they didn't release SOA before leg three. The ONLY thing that I would like to see changed on it is YBR instead of IALW, and that's not a major complaint, because I do like IALW! I just like YBR more, and I think it fits better into the setlist. Stay instead of Stuck would be nice, too, but I don't care about the acoustic spot. I used to hate the fact that EL UH VAY SHUN was a regular, but NLOTH->Elevation->YBR/IALW strikes me as a pretty genius way of getting the space theme working while keeping the non-diehards happy.
Old 10-29-2009, 06:13 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitize View Post
Niceman, why do I always end up agreeing with you?

For the record, I'd be thrilled if they played the Norman/Phoenix/Vegas/LA/Vancouver set every night for the rest of the tour if they didn't release SOA before leg three. The ONLY thing that I would like to see changed on it is YBR instead of IALW, and that's not a major complaint, because I do like IALW! I just like YBR more, and I think it fits better into the setlist. Stay instead of Stuck would be nice, too, but I don't care about the acoustic spot. I used to hate the fact that EL UH VAY SHUN was a regular, but NLOTH->Elevation->YBR/IALW strikes me as a pretty genius way of getting the space theme working while keeping the non-diehards happy.
Because I'm so wise, and you're smart enough to notice? lol!

I'd change a little more. I want Walk On to go, and I wouldn't mind hearing some more from NLOTH -ESPECIALLY FEZ-BB. Stuck and Elevation are so done, so overplayed. Yes, they are fine live, but so are so many other songs... YBR was incredible when I saw them, so it's diappointing that it isn't played more.

But I think the 360 tour is an amazing show!

(And I actually think IALW is the best song on ATYCLB!)
Old 10-29-2009, 11:44 PM   #12
The Fly

I hope U2 are going to do whatever the hell they like next tour, to completely mindfuck the setlist complainers here. Can't wait for the bitching. [/QUOTE]

Wow, do they really decide what they are going to play? I thought MTV sent them the setlist.
Old 10-29-2009, 11:47 PM   #13
The Fly

But I think the 360 tour is an amazing show!

Thats the Problem they've become a spectacle when they used to stand just on their music and take more chances.
Old 10-30-2009, 06:56 AM   #14
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:51 AM
Quote:
Wow, do they really decide what they are going to play? I thought MTV sent them the setlist.
Because Ultraviolet and YBR were massive radio hits?
Old 10-30-2009, 07:12 AM   #15
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 11:51 PM
I never knew opening with an old song makes something a "greatest hits setlist". I particularly never knew U2 were a greatest hits band on the UF Tour when they opened with 11OTT/IWF! Or the War Tour when they opened with Gloria or OOC and didn't get to any new songs until the fifth song at the earliest. Or the Lovetown Tour when RAH songs opened just 10 out of 47 shows. Or the Hershey ZooTV rehearsal when they opened with SBS.

Get a grip, people. Opening with an old song =/= greatest hits setlist. Personally, I think opening with a new song has become just another U2 setlist cliche.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog