Leg 3... Setlist 1 and 2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ATYCLB was a better album than Bomb. :shrug: Plus I can't really think of any other songs from Bomb that would really fit in on this tour...

Wasn't there some stuck-in-the-past reviewer who thought the U2360 setlist war boring and that U2 should spice it up with thrilling songs as Original of the Species?

That wasn't my point. My point is that with new fans it's a very similar album in the sense that this is how they discovered U2... Plus I think U2 probably want to believe it's on par.

I agree with your point about it being the gateway drug for a generation of fans.... but GOD I hope U2 know the 2 albums are not in the same league.....:ohmy:

I agree with your point about it being the gateway drug for a generation of fans.... but GOD I hope U2 know the 2 albums are not in the same league.....:ohmy:
I think there are a lot of "new" fans that like ATYCLB more than TJT.
But playing 5 songs is too much. They should just drop In A Little While and Stuck.

I think there are a lot of "new" fans that like ATYCLB more than TJT.
But playing 5 songs is too much. They should just drop In A Little While and Stuck.

Really!?!??! I honestly have a hard time believing there are ANY U2 fans who prefer ATYCLB. Do you know any? Are there any on here?

I actually think IALW is the best song on the album. Walk On is crap. I understand why BD is played, but there should just be two tops!

Really!?!??! I honestly have a hard time believing there are ANY U2 fans who prefer ATYCLB. Do you know any? Are there any on here?

I rank them about equally, with TJT maybe a little higher, as about mid-level U2 albums... I find TJT to be really overrated. :shrug:

U2 is acknowledging ATYCLB was an important album for them; they did play Pop when it was fresh (ie Popmart and Elevation).
QUOTE]

The extent to which they covered Pop on ATYCLB can be debated of course. I don't know why ATYCLB is so important? Because it gave them a couple of pop hits?

The extent to which they covered Pop on ATYCLB can be debated of course. I don't know why ATYCLB is so important? Because it gave them a couple of pop hits?

whether you like ATYCLB or not, you can't deny that it was a huge point in their career commercially. not just the pop hits, but the exposure they had, the touring after 9/11, etc...

I actually think IALW is the best song on the album. Walk On is crap. I understand why BD is played, but there should just be two tops!
I'm also talking about casual fans.

I rank them about equally, with TJT maybe a little higher, as about mid-level U2 albums... I find TJT to be really overrated. :shrug:

Huh! :hmm: You and I agree quite a bit on these boards, but we have VERY different musical tastes on this point! I rank JT and AB as their 2 masterpieces and ATYCLB as their worst album - bar none..... :down:

IMHO the touting after 9/11 (Like all Elevation) is their career low.... :ohmy:

really? i highly doubt the band feels that way. not to make light of 9/11 or anything, but at least in America, the 6 months after the attacks, you couldn't go anywhere without hearing about U2 leading all the way up to their Super Bowl performance. the amount of fans they gained during that time was pretty huge. the had an image of the band everyone could turn to in the time of grief.

even without all the glitz and glamour, i can honestly say that the best U2 show i've ever seen was Chicago in October, 2001. the atmosphere was like nothing i've ever seen.

I'd rather see/hear them play a song off the upcoming SOA album as an opener - Followed by a handful of more SOA songs.

I love most U2 songs. But I agree that one shouldn't 'trade on their past' too much.

It would be great to get "11 o'clock Tick Tock" and "Gloria" every now and then.

And if they drop "The Unforgettable Fire", I hope it is for "A Sort of Homecoming"! "Wire" would be great too!

really? i highly doubt the band feels that way. not to make light of 9/11 or anything, but at least in America, the 6 months after the attacks, you couldn't go anywhere without hearing about U2 leading all the way up to their Super Bowl performance. the amount of fans they gained during that time was pretty huge. the had an image of the band everyone could turn to in the time of grief.

even without all the glitz and glamour, i can honestly say that the best U2 show i've ever seen was Chicago in October, 2001. the atmosphere was like nothing i've ever seen.

I was at 3 of the shows, and I was heartbroken to see my favorite band turn into such an empty best of band who only played a few songs off of the new album... the energy was bad, Bono couldn't sing and REALLY seemed to be just going through the motions.

Vertigo was a big come back for me. I was in LA at the time. I got into the dress rehearsal and then the first show in SD. It was amazing! :) He could sing, they took chances with the songs they played, they really felt it and they had a much better album... it was amazing! :))

I was at 3 of the shows, and I was heartbroken to see my favorite band turn into such an empty best of band who only played a few songs off of the new album... the energy was bad, Bono couldn't sing and REALLY seemed to be just going through the motions.

Vertigo was a big come back for me. I was in LA at the time. I got into the dress rehearsal and then the first show in SD. It was amazing! :) He could sing, they took chances with the songs they played, they really felt it and they had a much better album... it was amazing! :))

i don't think our opinions could be any different on this one. haha!

Huh! :hmm: You and I agree quite a bit on these boards, but we have VERY different musical tastes on this point! I rank JT and AB as their 2 masterpieces and ATYCLB as their worst album - bar none..... :down:

You obviously don't have ears or a brain, then. :wink:

I do agree on one thing, though... except for a few shows (Slane and South Bend being my favorites), Elevation was a pretty bad tour. I literally cannot make it through the Boston DVD.

You obviously don't have ears or a brain, then. :wink:

I do agree on one thing, though... except for a few shows (Slane and South Bend being my favorites), Elevation was a pretty bad tour. I literally cannot make it through the Boston DVD.

Well, as long as in my brainlessness and your brainfulness we can agree on a few things! ;)

Once again your own tastes are clouding your ability to look at facts.

Ah so you drop the subjectivity when it suits? I see. I don't dispute that they had hits (which I presume is your "fact") but it is another thing entirely to then claim they must play 5 songs from it on the current tour.

Ah so you drop the subjectivity when it suits? I see. I don't dispute that they had hits (which I presume is your "fact") but it is another thing entirely to then claim they must play 5 songs from it on the current tour.

:banghead:

You might consider changing your name to monsieur mule.

I never said anything about "hits", that was all you.

And yes I drop my subjectivity, not when it suits, but when it's needed. For example REM is one of my favorite bands, but Out of Time is one of my least favorite albums, but I can recognize that it was a very important album for them, and their audience changed after that album. I can look at the facts without my own tastes getting in the way. Plain and simple as that...

:banghead:

You might consider changing your name to monsieur mule.

I never said anything about "hits", that was all you.

And yes I drop my subjectivity, not when it suits, but when it's needed. For example REM is one of my favorite bands, but Out of Time is one of my least favorite albums, but I can recognize that it was a very important album for them, and their audience changed after that album. I can look at the facts without my own tastes getting in the way. Plain and simple as that...

Well how wonderful it is that you are so much more enlightened than the rest of us. The hubris is quite exquisite!

Back
Top Bottom