Leg 3... Setlist 1 and 2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
not at all, actually. if you take a look at the set they played at the Rose Bowl, 11 of the 24 songs were on their most recent greatest hits collection (U218).

Exactly, IT IS A GREATEST HITS set plus 7 NEW songs = 18 of 22 songs and NOTHING from the first 3 albums except SBS.

Exactly, IT IS A GREATEST HITS set plus 7 NEW songs = 18 of 22 songs and NOTHING from the first 3 albums except SBS.

11 greatest hits songs
7 new songs
4 rarities?

How is that a greatest hit show? As far as I know 7+4 = 11, so it's equal. Wouldn't a greatest hit show be a show where the actual majority is a greatest hit?

And don't forget about NYD.

They did a lot of the first two albums(well, Gloria sometimes) on the last tour. Why do you want them to repeat that?

so because less than half the show featured their greatest hits, it's a greatest hits show?

phommel pointed this out in another thread:

Based on their last shows:

- 14 out of 24 songs from this decade (=58%)
- 4 songs from the 90's, all from Achtung Baby (=17%)
- 6 songs from the 80's
With the majority of the songs being post-2000, there's no way you can call the 360 show a greatest hits concert!

I don't call 360 a greatest hits show. However, i do think it is close enough to one that they are in danger. The proportions used to be better! There is cause for concern, but not to call them just a greatest hits show yet....

I don't call 360 a greatest hits show. However, i do think it is close enough to one that they are in danger. The proportions used to be better! There is cause for concern, but not to call them just a greatest hits show yet....

i think part of this is natural though when you have such a huge back catalog. the proportions were obviously better in '93 or even '01 because they had less history to cover.

i know one could argue that Vertigo featured more rarities than 360. i'll give you that.

i think part of this is natural though when you have such a huge back catalog. the proportions were obviously better in '93 or even '01 because they had less history to cover.

i know one could argue that Vertigo featured more rarities than 360. i'll give you that.

Vertigo was better. I think Elevation was probably worse (Often only 5 songs from the newest album! :ohmy:)

Yes, the big catalogue is a huge factor - but as others have pointed out they used to at least put more effort into re-interpreting the old songs....

i personally still think 360 was a better, just because i like the album they're touring for much better. plus, the stage...:drool:

but they're close. hearing The Fly, RTSS and An Cat Dubh last tour was pretty fucking cool.

For now, yes, but keep in mind that there's still a helluva lot more 360 to come next year.

Instead of Larry drumming the beginning to Breathe next year to start the show, maybe he'll drum the beginning of The Refugee! :D

I think it is still meaningful to talk of 360's setlist as hits-driven, especially in Europe where even recent songs like Vertigo, BD, COBL and Elevation were massive hits. Playing hits isn't neccessarily a problem but when they seem to be the same ones each jaunt, it gets very boring. Discotheque, HTMKMKM and EBTTRT were hits yet plenty of us would welcome them. And this leads us to the real problem- a chronological imbalance which favours their post-2000 work at the continued expense of their 90s material. Given the stage set-up, it is frustrating.

Which wouldn't be a problem for you if you liked the 00s material. That's what this really comes down to, right? I mean it's 2009 one would expect that they play more of their newer stuff.

Which wouldn't be a problem for you if you liked the 00s material. That's what this really comes down to, right? I mean it's 2009 one would expect that they play more of their newer stuff.

How much off of Rattle and Hum was regularly played on ZOOTV? How much Zooropa on POPMART? How much POP on Elevation? heck, there wasn't this much ATYCLB on Vertigo! And here on 360, they are only playing 2 songs from HTDAAB..... IT isn't like U2 to play this much off an album 2 albums ago/9 years ago....

There were 6 ATYCLB songs on Vertigo - BD, Elevation, acoustic Stuck (even full band once I think), acoustic (and full band) Walk on and Kite on the last leg, and IALW twice.

How much off of Rattle and Hum was regularly played on ZOOTV? How much Zooropa on POPMART? How much POP on Elevation? heck, there wasn't this much ATYCLB on Vertigo! And here on 360, they are only playing 2 songs from HTDAAB..... IT isn't like U2 to play this much off an album 2 albums ago/9 years ago....

Well you just made my point for me. How much JT was on tours 2 albums later?

They'll play the same songs as they did in Pasadena, maybe a few more rare songs like Drowning Man, Electrical Storm and Bad... Pride won't be coming back.

When I first saw U2 on the War Tour I heard songs that I was not that familiar with that made me go out and buy those first albums and that is what I see the value in going to concerts, to get exposure and then seek out those periods in a bands history that I like for the musical value. all the bands I have come to love started that way, not because of an elaborate production.
There really seems to be 3 camps of U2 fans...Liking pre 1990 Albums...liking 1990-2001 Tech"OhNo" dance period...Loving and thinking everything of U2 as Beautiful Day and Vertigo...And it saddens me to see the 3rd group as 75% of the fan base, though it really does not surprise me as this is where our society has lead us.
U2 is so much more than the spectacle they seem to have become, or I really hope they still are or I think, their days are numbered.
I loved them when it was a bare Dark stage with White lighting and 3 cords and the truth.

phommel pointed this out in another thread:

With the majority of the songs being post-2000, there's no way you can call the 360 show a greatest hits concert!

This says it all right here.

Its not a greatest hits show in the least bit, and it is much less a greatest hits show than The Who or AC DC or The Police trot out. I have talked to people who are not fans that have seen 360 and they have told me that the set list sucked, they were lost the whole time, and that people pay to hear the hits and that's it. I disagreed, but that is what a lot of people think, casual fans as well.

The problem is not that they play 2000s material, its a full decade of 3 enormous U2 albums. It is the fact that they, as we have all talked about, lean so heavily on ATYCLB when its the oldest of the 3 and it does not fit the stage set at all for the most part. The problem is not that U2 plays 80s material, they should, but no need to lean so heavily on the big hits from JT and UF and completely neglect album cuts or anything pre 1984.

The set list needs:
-BD and Walk On only for ATYCLB nightly, In A Little While a rare surprise.
-COBL, Vertigo for Bomb, sometimes a surprise of Original or Love and Peace.
-A second encore of Pop and other 90s material.
-Some deep cuts from JT and UF on occasion.
-Gloria, OOC, I Will Follow, Electric Co and 2 Hearts- play 1 of these per night.
-Maybe need to extend to 26-27 songs to do what I mentioned above, but there is more time off now and Bono's voice has not even sounded tired yet this tour.

Also, just to clear things up, THIS would be a greatest hits show in 2009:

1.)Where The Streets Have No Name
2.)I Will Follow
3.)Desire
4.)Mysterious Ways
5.)Beautiful Day
6.)No Line On The Horizon
7.)Get On Your Boots
8.)Vertigo
9.)New Year's Day
10.)Sunday Bloody Sunday
11.)Pride
12.)Walk On
13.)Elevation
14.)Still Havent Found
15.)Stuck
16.)Angel of Harlem
17.)City of Blinding Lights
Encore
18.)Discotheque
19.)Even Better Than The Real Thing
20.)With or Without You
21.)One/40

There really seems to be 3 camps of U2 fans...Liking pre 1990 Albums...liking 1990-2001 Tech"OhNo" dance period...Loving and thinking everything of U2 as Beautiful Day and Vertigo...And it saddens me to see the 3rd group as 75% of the fan base, though it really does not surprise me as this is where our society has lead us.

I think this is a pretty poor description of U2's fan base. I think you are off on the 75%. The 90's were not "techno". I think there is a pretty big fan base that likes U2 regardless of decade.

I loved them when it was a bare Dark stage with White lighting and 3 cords and the truth.

It's a well documented period, you have six albums, remasters, dvds and plenty of bootlegs. Why waste your time here complaining when you could be enjoying those?

What about 2 Setlists with some Parts that are in both but keep it fresh for Band and Fans...

Setlist 1/ Setlist 2

Gloria/ Out of Control
Breathe/ Breathe
Boots/ Boots
Magnificent/ Magnificent
Mysterious Ways/ Mysterious Ways
MLK/ October
Wire/ Wire
2 Hearts Beat as 1/ 2 Hearts Beat as 1
Beautiful Day/ Beautiful Day
NLOTH/ NLOTH
Unknown caller/ Unknown caller
UTEOTW/ UTEOTW
U Fire/ U Fire
COBL / COBL
IGCIDGCT / IGCIDGCT
Electric Co. / 11 Tick Tock
Walk On/40 / Walk On/40
------------ -------------
One/ One
Streets / Streets
New Years Day / New Years Day
I Will Follow / Sort of Homecoming
MO Surrender / MO Surrender

Where's "Bad"????

That is absolutely what it comes down to- I like their 90s material I want to hear it, what's wrong with that? I agree that one would expect to hear the newer material, hence the 7 songs from NLOTH! ATYCLB and HTDAAB don't factor into it. If U2 sincerely believed in playing their more recent stuff they would have performed 5 Pop songs on Vertigo, which is the equivalent of playing 5 ATYCLB songs on this tour . But that, as we know is not the issue- the real issue is their refusal to recognise Pop existed.

That is absolutely what it comes down to- I like their 90s material I want to hear it, what's wrong with that? I agree that one would expect to hear the newer material, hence the 7 songs from NLOTH! ATYCLB and HTDAAB don't factor into it. If U2 sincerely believed in playing their more recent stuff they would have performed 5 Pop songs on Vertigo, which is the equivalent of playing 5 ATYCLB songs on this tour . But that, as we know is not the issue- the real issue is their refusal to recognise Pop existed.

I didn't say anything was wrong with it per se, but that it just makes sense that they'll focus more on later material. Pop didn't turn out the way they wanted it to, it wasn't received the way they wanted it to, just another simple fact U2 fans have to deal with, whether we like it or not.

U2 is acknowledging ATYCLB was an important album for them; they did play Pop when it was fresh (ie Popmart and Elevation).

Re: appreciating the newer stuff, how do you account for mere 2 Bomb songs on this tour ? That's a record low for the second-to-last album on a tour, not counting Popmart's 0 Zooropa songs. I also suspect the first three albums are getting a natural break given how much of that was played on Vertigo.

ATYCLB was a better album than Bomb. :shrug: Plus I can't really think of any other songs from Bomb that would really fit in on this tour...

Back
Top Bottom