Lament for Fez Being Born

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alive@33

The Fly
I cry myself to sleep nights
icon12.gif
at the devastating omission of Fez Being Born from the 360 Tour!

Undoubtedly a contender for U2's most beautiful song (with rough competition from One Tree Hill and All I Want Is You) -

it's got wonderfully unique and inventive drumming from Larry Mullen Jnr, Edge & Adam in beautiful synch and harmony, and invention also from Bono with a beautiful, broken singing style ("6 - o'clock" "on the au - toroute" "like mem - ories") not heard before. Such a simple, concise structure: the 1st verse about travelling to Fez by car and ferry (the song made me find out where the Bay of Cadiz is!), the 2nd verse about Being Born, with the gorgeous line "I'm being born, a bleeding start, The engines roar, blood curdling wail, Head first then foot, then heart sets sail."

But no one element is dominant or more beautiful than another - it's one of the greatest examples of U2 as a band being greater than the sum of its parts. Now that the song is deep down in my soul, if I was pushed and had to pick an absolute favourite part, it's what groovemeister Adam does with the bass when Bono sings the "oh oh"s.

Let this song get deep down inside you, it'll fill you up from within. Is there anything we can do to advance the cause of Fez Being Born making it into the show?! To me, the 360 Tour without this song is like the Earth without the Moon (don't get me wrong, I can't wait, it's still an awesome show!). My first show will be Giants Stadium on the 23rd (also going to Tampa), and I'd be surprised if the song makes it in by then - but you never know, they could be looking at new things in btwn Europe and America.
hyper.gif

ps I'd also love to hear Stand Up Comedy! Very funky!

I love the song, probably the best on the album, but I don't think they'll play it live, maybe as a snippet. I don't think it would make a good live song, especially with their current stage setup.

It would rule as an encore opener, and imagine the sort of impressive lighting that could accompany it on this tour. I think it'd be right at home in that sort of slot.

U2, you know you want to play this in Australia.

Fez into a song that's actually good would be worth even more drool smilies. :wink:

I really hope they play it. Together with Unknown Caller it's my favourite song óff NLOTH and actually since 2000. This could be a great live song!
:drool:

It would rule as an encore opener, and imagine the sort of impressive lighting that could accompany it on this tour. I think it'd be right at home in that sort of slot.

U2, you know you want to play this in Australia.

yes, i also thought it would go very well right before Unknown Caller. it should be played. although it has dropped on my top NLOTH songs list (somehow, NLOTH and UC have risen above it), i still consider Fez to be the most interesting song U2 have released since Passengers.

yes, i also thought it would go very well right before Unknown Caller. it should be played. although it has dropped on my top NLOTH songs list (somehow, NLOTH and UC have risen above it), i still consider Fez to be the most interesting song U2 have released since Passengers.

Do I have to make another EYKIW thread addressed to you now? :wink:

I still think Fez is the best U2 song since Gone.

I like it but not as much as some people seem to around here.

listen some more, it certainly wasn't instant with me!

just waiting...just waiting...the moon will soon shine.:hyper:
keep the faith! (love your avatar!)

I love the song, probably the best on the album, but I don't think they'll play it live, maybe as a snippet. I don't think it would make a good live song, especially with their current stage setup.
delighted to hear you love it, but I can hear it right now in my head, bass lines booming through the stadium, keyboard player beneath the stage striking those heavy keyboard notes, Bono screaming "oh oh oh" and the crowd with him (people are starving for the song, I think they'll go nuts if it's played - I know I would go ballistic!), Edge & Larry on fire. IMAGINE! :)

I don't like NLOTH at all, but Fez is ok for me, but please, keep Stand Up Comedy out of 360...

Yep. Encore opener was what I expected. Major mistake not playing this!

As much as I love Ultraviolet. It's in Fez's slot!

don't know about Being Born
it's a mood piece so it could either work or be pretty bad live

very good on the album though

I hope they play FEZ-Being Born during the North American leg of the tour. I think it would make a great opener.

Fez-Being Born --> Bad --> Moment Of Surrender

U2, there's your new encore. Get to work.

:drool::drool::drool:

Although I'd prefer Ultraviolet->WOWY/SLS->Fez-Being Born->Bad->Moment of Surrender for the encore.

I'd prefer WOWY to be put to sleep forever unless U2 can do something drastic and resurrect its former glory.

Plus who needs UV when Fez would rule as an opener.

don't know about Being Born
it's a mood piece so it could either work or be pretty bad live

very good on the album though

I know what youre saying - the only small issue the song has as a live song is the sheer amount of lyrics, roughly half a regular U2 song.
But I don't see it as any kind of problem - so Bono's got a bit extra time to jump around, throw shapes, etc! The song would still totally and utterly rock!

I couldn't resist this bit!: to those monkeys who diss Stand Up Comedy,

unfortunately I'm not on the same planet as you, so I refer you to Al Pacino in "Scent of a Woman":

TAKE THE F*CKIN WAX OUT OF YOUR EARS!!!

Everybody's on fire in that song! I mean AWESOME drumming, singing, guitar and bass - definitely my 2nd fave on the album. Some folks wouldn't know a great U2 song if it jumped up and bit them on the ass! Sorry, I felt I had to mount a defence there!
icon7.gif

to those monkeys who diss Stand Up Comedy,

unfortunately I'm not on the same planet as you, so I refer you to Al Pacino in "Scent of a Woman":

TAKE THE F*CKIN WAX OUT OF YOUR EARS!!!

Everybody's on fire in that song! I mean AWESOME drumming, singing, guitar and bass - definitely my 2nd fave on the album. Some folks wouldn't know a great U2 song if it jumped up and bit them on the ass! Sorry, I felt I had to mount a defence there!
icon7.gif

MY GOD do I agree with you!!!! :)

nice one dude.. thought I was goin mad there! :huh:

Back
Top Bottom