Lament for Fez Being Born - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > U2 360° Tour Central - 2009 / 2010 / 2011 Archive > Set Lists & Songs
Click Here to Login

Old 08-28-2009, 02:07 PM   #1
The Fly

Local Time: 01:34 PM
Lament for Fez Being Born

I cry myself to sleep nights at the devastating omission of Fez Being Born from the 360 Tour!

Undoubtedly a contender for U2's most beautiful song (with rough competition from One Tree Hill and All I Want Is You) -

it's got wonderfully unique and inventive drumming from Larry Mullen Jnr, Edge & Adam in beautiful synch and harmony, and invention also from Bono with a beautiful, broken singing style ("6 - o'clock" "on the au - toroute" "like mem - ories") not heard before. Such a simple, concise structure: the 1st verse about travelling to Fez by car and ferry (the song made me find out where the Bay of Cadiz is!), the 2nd verse about Being Born, with the gorgeous line "I'm being born, a bleeding start, The engines roar, blood curdling wail, Head first then foot, then heart sets sail."

But no one element is dominant or more beautiful than another - it's one of the greatest examples of U2 as a band being greater than the sum of its parts. Now that the song is deep down in my soul, if I was pushed and had to pick an absolute favourite part, it's what groovemeister Adam does with the bass when Bono sings the "oh oh"s.

Let this song get deep down inside you, it'll fill you up from within. Is there anything we can do to advance the cause of Fez Being Born making it into the show?! To me, the 360 Tour without this song is like the Earth without the Moon (don't get me wrong, I can't wait, it's still an awesome show!). My first show will be Giants Stadium on the 23rd (also going to Tampa), and I'd be surprised if the song makes it in by then - but you never know, they could be looking at new things in btwn Europe and America.

ps I'd also love to hear Stand Up Comedy! Very funky!

Old 08-28-2009, 02:19 PM   #2
Blue Crack Supplier

it's alright I guess...

I like it but not as much as some people seem to around here.

Old 08-28-2009, 03:06 PM   #3
Refugee

Local Time: 02:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by alive@33 View Post
[FONT= To me, the 360 Tour without this song is like the Earth without the Moon

..very deep and true.

just waiting...just waiting...the moon will soon shine.
Old 08-28-2009, 04:16 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:34 PM
I love the song, probably the best on the album, but I don't think they'll play it live, maybe as a snippet. I don't think it would make a good live song, especially with their current stage setup.
Old 08-28-2009, 10:29 PM   #5
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 03:34 AM
It would rule as an encore opener, and imagine the sort of impressive lighting that could accompany it on this tour. I think it'd be right at home in that sort of slot.

U2, you know you want to play this in Australia.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 08-28-2009, 10:43 PM   #6
Refugee

Location: Interference is called Interference because it interferes on my ability to live a normal life...
Local Time: 12:34 PM
Fez into Ultraviolet =
Old 08-28-2009, 11:37 PM   #7
Vocal parasite

Fez into a song that's actually good would be worth even more drool smilies.

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 08-28-2009, 11:46 PM   #8
The Fly

Local Time: 10:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
It would rule as an encore opener, and imagine the sort of impressive lighting that could accompany it on this tour. I think it'd be right at home in that sort of slot.
AMEN

AMEN

and

AMEN
Old 08-29-2009, 02:39 AM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 07:34 PM
I really hope they play it. Together with Unknown Caller it's my favourite song óff NLOTH and actually since 2000. This could be a great live song!
Old 08-29-2009, 06:31 AM   #10
Refugee

Epic song. Should be played live.
Old 08-29-2009, 07:23 AM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post

U2, you know you want to play this in Australia.
yes, i also thought it would go very well right before Unknown Caller. it should be played. although it has dropped on my top NLOTH songs list (somehow, NLOTH and UC have risen above it), i still consider Fez to be the most interesting song U2 have released since Passengers.
Old 08-29-2009, 08:11 AM   #12
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikal View Post
yes, i also thought it would go very well right before Unknown Caller. it should be played. although it has dropped on my top NLOTH songs list (somehow, NLOTH and UC have risen above it), i still consider Fez to be the most interesting song U2 have released since Passengers.
Do I have to make another EYKIW thread addressed to you now?

I still think Fez is the best U2 song since Gone.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 08-29-2009, 08:51 AM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

Old 08-29-2009, 10:50 AM   #14
The Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by elevated_u2_fan View Post
I like it but not as much as some people seem to around here.
listen some more, it certainly wasn't instant with me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addicted To Bad View Post
just waiting...just waiting...the moon will soon shine.

keep the faith! (love your avatar!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by last unicorn View Post
I love the song, probably the best on the album, but I don't think they'll play it live, maybe as a snippet. I don't think it would make a good live song, especially with their current stage setup.

delighted to hear you love it, but I can hear it right now in my head, bass lines booming through the stadium, keyboard player beneath the stage striking those heavy keyboard notes, Bono screaming "oh oh oh" and the crowd with him (people are starving for the song, I think they'll go nuts if it's played - I know I would go ballistic!), Edge & Larry on fire. IMAGINE!

Old 08-29-2009, 11:54 AM   #15
The Fly

Local Time: 03:34 PM
I don't like NLOTH at all, but Fez is ok for me, but please, keep Stand Up Comedy out of 360...