Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > U2 360° Tour Central - 2009 / 2010 / 2011 Archive > Set Lists & Songs
Click Here to Login

Old 11-19-2010, 02:42 AM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 11:07 PM
Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby

I am I the only one that notices that U2 consistently neglects JT album cuts every tour when compared to AB?

In both number and variety of songs played, AB gets mined every tour while JT gets the Big 3(4 when you count live staple Bullet) and that's about it.

Aside from the songs they have to play a bunch of times every tour- One and Mysterious Ways-numerous AB tracks make it in as staples for long periods of time. Ranging from bringing back old staples like Until The End.. after short breaks(360 leg 1) to getting entirely new staples each time out- The Fly, Zoo Station, Ultraviolet. I am as happy Bullet is taking a rest as most of us here, but does anyone seriously think that Until the end... would ever sit out entirely for 3 legs in a row? That illustrates the disparity right there.

Outside of the JT heavy hitters we have the hardly obscure RTSS doing a couple legs on Vertigo and everything else getting at the very most a hand full of performances this decade. Mothers? Only a few times. IGC? 2 times acoustically, who wants that. One Tree Hill?Only the 3 or 4 times they had to with the Caroll family in attendance.

Spectacular songs that were great live like Trip Through Your Wires and Exit? You'd never know they wrote those!

WOWY and Still Haven't Found took long rests on both Elevation and Vertigo, far longer than Mysterious Ways or The Fly or Until The End ever took.

I love AB. But I've always had it in my rankings as a straight tie with JT for the top U2 album. I am probably in the minority here. Both albums are obviously 2 of the greatest albums ever made by anyone, but one is no better than the other. I firmly believe that.

Plus, I really, really, really want to hear another full band In God's Country and really, really, really want them to rip through a modern day version of Exit!!

Why does U2 dig so deep into AB so often that JT, the album they will ultimately be remembered most for, seems like a relative after thought?

Ideas, theories, discussion.

Old 11-19-2010, 02:45 AM   #2
45:33

Local Time: 01:07 PM
i want to hear them do In God's Country, Exit and Running to Stand Still (if i was asked by the band, "what song do you want us to play?" this would be it) but i wouldn't say that AB gets "mired" while JT is left in the cold... certainly not this tour anyway.

Old 11-19-2010, 03:03 AM   #3
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
i want to hear them do In God's Country, Exit and Running to Stand Still (if i was asked by the band, "what song do you want us to play?" this would be it) but i wouldn't say that AB gets "mired" while JT is left in the cold... certainly not this tour anyway.
"Mined." "Mired" makes no sense.

You really have to look at multiple tours over time, but even this tour doesn't give us anything new or exciting from JT when compared to AB.

360 AB:

One=staple +

Ultraviolet=staple*

Mysterious Ways=staple +

Until The End of the World=staple +

360 JT:

Where The Streets Have No Name=staple +

Still Haven't Found=staple +

With or Without You=staple +

Mothers of The Disappeared=a few times*

+= same damn songs that are always staples.

*=something pretty rare as far as live shows go.

The final analysis:

-AB 4 staples to JT's 3.

-JT's only asterisk was performed a few times, as compared to AB's, which was a staple and came with a whole new set of awesome visuals and Bono laser suit get up to go with it and became one of the undisputed highlights of the tour.

-And as you pointed out, 360 is the strong tour for the JT/AB comparison when compared to Elevation and Vertigo!

-Combine 360 where JT still loses to AB but by a smaller amount with Elevation and Vertigo and the gap becomes pretty bad.
Old 11-19-2010, 04:59 AM   #4
Galeonbroad

Local Time: 05:07 AM
Obvious answer here is that U2 acknowledge that AB is the better album.
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Old 11-19-2010, 05:03 AM   #5
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galeongirl View Post
Exxxxxxactly. I'll be honest, I can't complain about AB being better represented than JT.
Old 11-19-2010, 05:52 AM   #6

point taken but i'm not sure the fact that AB has one more staple than JT is worthy of a thread.
Old 11-19-2010, 09:50 AM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
/thread
Seriously, though, I'm guessing they'll at least dust off OTH for the Oceania gigs.
Old 11-19-2010, 10:02 AM   #8
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:07 PM
We really need a new album
Old 11-19-2010, 11:10 AM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

U2 hates JT...

it's had it's share of mining too - Mothers on the last two tours, One tree hill and RTSS on Vertigo, In god's country twice on Elevation. It looks more bad because they dropped Bullet. Red hill town obviously won't get played, and I don't see Bono going down the Exit route anytime soon live. Also, add Spanish eyes being played on the last three tours. When's the last time AB got any B-sides live ?
Old 11-19-2010, 11:16 AM   #10
Galeonbroad

They hate an album they play three songs of regularly?.. Mothers hasn't been regularly played, only on special ocasion in Chile. And what do you mean last two tours? Last leg was the first performance since Popmart! RTSS was played the entire first leg on vertigo, OTH again, only on ocasion. For the NZ/Aussie leg.
Spanish Eyes was played ONCE each tour, so does that really count?
Your statistics are a bit odd...
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Old 11-19-2010, 02:24 PM   #11
Refugee

Quote:
They hate an album they play three songs of regularly?.. Mothers hasn't been regularly played, only on special ocasion in Chile. And what do you mean last two tours? Last leg was the first performance since Popmart! RTSS was played the entire first leg on vertigo, OTH again, only on ocasion. For the NZ/Aussie leg.
Exactly!!

You have to look at the overall quantity of material played as well as the number of times it is played.

Cobl04, I know there is only 1 more AB staple in the set but again, look at what I said about how frequently the rarity from each album has been performed this tour. The number of staples only tells part of the story.

Of course, in and of itself, this wouldn't be thread worthy, but I thought I made clear the other reasons that went along with it in making the thread. But what do I know, maybe you should join the moderating team.

And like I said, 360 is the tour where they've been closer to equal representation than previous tours!!

The point remains that JT gets nowhere near the acknowledgement AB continually gets. I am well aware that most people here hold AB well above JT and almost anything else everywhere, but when history is written, JT(though its no better an album, imo) will be what U2 is far and away more remembered for.
Old 11-19-2010, 07:43 PM   #12

well i must disagree with you then good sir.

here's hoping they hold One Tree Hill over to Melbourne
Old 11-20-2010, 02:09 AM   #13
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
well i must disagree with you then good sir.

here's hoping they hold One Tree Hill over to Melbourne
No problem!!

I could definitely see OTH happening in Melbourne. It held over to Tokyo in 2006!

I'll pray with you.
Old 11-20-2010, 03:02 AM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
The hate line was sarcasm.

The fact is still Mothers got played on Vertigo and 360 (last two U2 tours). Admiteddly rarely, but it did.

Yes, I know RTSS was around on the first leg of Vertigo. OTH got played on Vertigo, and it might get back on 360.

Why would it not count ?
The last time AB B-side got played live was...Zoo TV, and it was Satellite of love.

The gap is not that big as it's made out to be. Unless I missed something I believe these are the standings for the past three tours

Elevation:
JT - the big 4, IGC - 5 songs*
AB - the big 3, EBTTRT, The fly - 5 songs

Vertigo:
JT: - the big 4, RTSS, OTH and Mothers - 7
AB - the big 3, ZS, The fly, WGRYWH - 6

360:**
JT: the big 3, Mothers - 4
AB: the big 3, UV - 4

So while the frequency of something like UV vs Mothers or The Fly vs OTH is higher, the albums overall are pretty fairly divided.

* does not include the B-side Spanish eyes though it got played in Spain on all three tours. That's 1 JT B-side vs 0 AB B-sides.

** 360 is an ongoing tour, we don't know what else may get on the set from JT and/or AB.
Old 11-20-2010, 03:46 PM   #15
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2girl View Post
The hate line was sarcasm.

The fact is still Mothers got played on Vertigo and 360 (last two U2 tours). Admiteddly rarely, but it did.

Yes, I know RTSS was around on the first leg of Vertigo. OTH got played on Vertigo, and it might get back on 360.

Why would it not count ?
The last time AB B-side got played live was...Zoo TV, and it was Satellite of love.

The gap is not that big as it's made out to be. Unless I missed something I believe these are the standings for the past three tours

Elevation:
JT - the big 4, IGC - 5 songs*
AB - the big 3, EBTTRT, The fly - 5 songs

Vertigo:
JT: - the big 4, RTSS, OTH and Mothers - 7
AB - the big 3, ZS, The fly, WGRYWH - 6

360:**
JT: the big 3, Mothers - 4
AB: the big 3, UV - 4

So while the frequency of something like UV vs Mothers or The Fly vs OTH is higher, the albums overall are pretty fairly divided.
* does not include the B-side Spanish eyes though it got played in Spain on all three tours. That's 1 JT B-side vs 0 AB B-sides.

** 360 is an ongoing tour, we don't know what else may get on the set from JT and/or AB.
But that one point that I put in bold and underlined is just too big to ignore.

You can't dismiss it off hand.

ZS, Fly, UV, Wild Horses have been given more than the very few performance JT non big 3 tracks have been given.

Would anyone equate IGC on Elevation with ZS on Vertigo??

Didn't think so..........