Is Ultraviolet permanantly gone??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I go back to the NA opener, Chicago Night 2:
The women next to me in the stands was having the time of her life seeing U2 for the first time. UV cranks up to open the encore, and she gets up to go to the bathroom. :shrug:

I love UV, but for some reason HMTMKMKM connects with the crowd more. I just wish it had better lighting to go with it.

My wife went to the restroom during the "Zoo Station" encore. I still get on her about that. There was a couple next to us in which she had to ask, excuse me during The Fly. The look on their face was hilarious and whats even more funny is I had the same WTF look.

I haven't seen HMTMKMKM yet (looking forward to it), but I assess it as:

UV = Magical
HMTMKMKM = Amazing

I'd love to see Ultraviolet again. Which is why I'm hoping for it at Anaheim II.

I saw UV in Vegas '09, but that was before I became a hardcore U2 fan. After seeing that show, I listened to every U2 album and was hooked. That show turned me into a hardcore fan and that was when I fell in love with Ultraviolet. Now it's one of my favorite songs and I am just so upset that I didn't appreciate it more when I saw it live in Vegas.

I saw HMTM in Salt Lake and it really is an amazing song, but I'd honestly die if I got to see Ultraviolet one more time. Cause seriously, I don't think they'll ever bring that song back again after this tour.

I never really thought HMTM... was that great of a song. UV is one of my favorites, so obviously I prefer it. For my money, it doesn't get any better then when Bono sings the "YOU BURY YOUR TREASURE..." verse an octave higher than on the album, and with 100x more emotion.

How not? The crowd response for HMTMKMKM is noticeably greater than that for UV. In terms of working as the second encore opener, it's self-evidently doing the job better. And it works much better with the taped intro than UV did with any of its intros, which seemed to have precious little to do with the song.
You honestly think HMTM into WOWY is better than UV into WOWY?

I know you dislike the song (totally irrationally just because of the "baby" part, which is like hating Mysterious Ways for "it's alright"), but come on.

as long as it comes down to ultraviolet or hold me, thrill me, kiss me, kill me, i'm not upset. i'd prefer ultraviolet, but both are somewhat fully awesome.

This. And I really hope if they mean to play The Fly, they won't do it in the encore before With or Without You as on the Vertigo Tour. I'd love to have The Fly and Hold Me... in the same set.

This. And I really hope if they mean to play The Fly, they won't do it in the encore before With or Without You as on the Vertigo Tour. I'd love to have The Fly and Hold Me... in the same set.

I was thinking that FLY would bump HMTM if it came into the set. Not sure where else it would go without throwing the setlist balance off.

I was thinking that FLY would bump HMTM if it came into the set. Not sure where else it would go without throwing the setlist balance off.

How about... get rid of Elevation and replace it with The Fly! This tour has proved that if the song rocks hard enough then it doesn't matter if people don't know it. Less people know The Fly, but it's an infinitely better song and would get people as fired up as Elevation.

How about... get rid of Elevation and replace it with The Fly! This tour has proved that if the song rocks hard enough then it doesn't matter if people don't know it. Less people know The Fly, but it's an infinitely better song and would get people as fired up as Elevation.

AB/ATYCLB balance is changed and it's quite a bit of ZOOTV era material.

Plus light show wise you can't swap them easily.

I thought IWF could be swapped out, but you need something early back in.

1) fuck the "AB/ATYCLB balance" and whatever that means.
2) ZooTV era material is fucking awesome, and "too much is not enough".
3) I'm sure they could swap the lights.

Setlist balance, eh? Sure.

I believe there's loads of place for improvement in the current setlist,although I consider the 2011 setlists being by far the best ones 360 had. The Fly is one of these, though it would be great if it would not take the no.1 slot in the encore, since that would be an obvious choice. Hold Me... and The Fly had never been played at the same show, so that would rock. Replacing Elevation would be perfect, but I don't think that will happen. The crowd unfortunately goes crazy for that dreck.

Mysterious Ways has always been one of my favourite songs, but the versions they're playing on this tour have been underwhelming to say the least (Bono's annoying ad-libs, Larry's monotonous drumming and slide solo mysteriously missing). So I wouldn't mind The Fly replacing it.

Wouldn't want it to replace Until the End of the World. The versions they've been doing lately are pretty awesome.

Bono probably put on more weight and now he's afraid he'll break the Wii Wheel.

Fuck them for that hideous HMTMKMKM > WOWY transition they're doing. I much prefer Ultraviolet in general, but it's the sequencing there that frustrates me more than anything. I have no idea why they don't just play both so it'll be smoother. Probably laziness.

Does MW hold some "sexy song" type placement in the set making it tough to remove form the band's point of view?

Fly/Elevation would mean 7 songs from ZOOTV era(One, MW, Better, Stay, Zooropa, HMTM and Fly) are being played while only only 4 songs from horizon(3 on rare occasions). Same with swapping it out for and early song like IWF which would leave a hole for early material and not be dark enough for a light show.

HMTM is a "fan slot" and FLY is a "fan slot" type song. Remember that FLY doesn't have a proper chorus sung by Bono.

Why do people keep seeing AB and Zooropa as one? :huh: I don't get it. They're TWO different albums, so you can't compare the two of them with one other album.

Why do people keep seeing AB and Zooropa as one? :huh: I don't get it. They're TWO different albums, so you can't compare the two of them with one other album.

Because they share the same tour more or less? Bono in similar onstage costumes, similar videos, complimentary setlist wise etc...

AB/Z could be compared to the NLOTH/SOA tracks played on the tour that have all since disappeared.

Because they share the same tour more or less? Bono in similar onstage costumes, similar videos, complimentary setlist wise etc...

AB/Z could be compared to the NLOTH/SOA tracks played on the tour that have all since disappeared.

What does that have to do with the album? Sure, the ZooTv and Zooropa tours were similar, but same could be said about te 360 tour '09 and the '10/11 tour, which are totally different tours with a similar setup.

They're still two different albums. And SOA can't be compared as it does not exist.

What does that have to do with the album? Sure, the ZooTv and Zooropa tours were similar, but same could be said about te 360 tour '09 and the '10/11 tour, which are totally different tours with a similar setup.

They're still two different albums. And SOA can't be compared as it does not exist.

I'll change the wording slightly. Swapping out Elevation for Fly would mean:

7 songs from the 91-93ish era
6 songs from the released in the decade after ATYCLB

I'll change the wording slightly. Swapping out Elevation for Fly would mean:

7 songs from the 91-93ish era
6 songs from the released in the decade after ATYCLB
So now you're comparing 4 years to an entire decade? :huh: I really don't get you.

Bono roamed the stage with only a mic for the song in 2001.

He did but that was a different version. On the rehearsal version from Seattle Bono's guitar is clearly audible. It's the Vertigo tour arrangement.

It should be MW swapped for the Fly. AB for AB song, plus it's in a good spot and would be a rocking pairing with Elevation. Only other place I would enjoy it is to start the encore, although The Fly -> WOWY just weirds me out.

I really don't want them to put it in the 2nd spot, because I love having a Boy track right there. IWF and OOC are awesome.

Please, play UV tonight..:drool::drool: I like it much more than that Batman song..

As much as I love UV, I doubt that we won't see it until Anaheim II, unless:

1) They start rotating HMTM and UV as in the 2010 shows
2) They play HMTM and UV back to back [still hoping for this..]

Really want to see HMTM live though, because I know UV won't be performed at my show, or until the second nighters. Hope I'm wrong though. :hmm:

It should be MW swapped for the Fly. AB for AB song, plus it's in a good spot and would be a rocking pairing with Elevation. Only other place I would enjoy it is to start the encore, although The Fly -> WOWY just weirds me out.

I really don't want them to put it in the 2nd spot, because I love having a Boy track right there. IWF and OOC are awesome.

But it's kinda stupid they haven't continued with rotating songs on the 2nd spot - IWF/OOC/NYD - even if I love I Will Follow, it was great seeing some variation.

Yeah, I agree with that.

Mind you, when I'm AT the show, I don't give a damn. But you know, some rotation in that slot would rule. Especially if it meant I'd get to hear OOC in Minneapolis. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom