Is this tour frustrating you?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The tour doesn't frustrate me, and I absolutely cannot wait to see them myself.
The same predictable usernames always coming in and whining about the band/tour/setlist to anyone who will listen definitely do though. I hate having to weed through those posts just to get to someone who actually attended the show and loved every second of it. So annoying!

Let me get this straight. You want to hear only 100% positive stories from people who allready went so that you can enjoy your concert more or..?
So people saying, WOWY sucks makes you dissapointed while you are at the concert yourself? I want to trade lifes one day to experience that feeling of total dependency again. :|

Since the setlist is so stale, at least you know what they are going to play so you will never be dissapointed.
you see? even the bad can turn into good, as long as you are open to it:)

p.s if I misinterpreted your post, please accept my apologies.

i am more upset that bono only has a single jean jacket for his everyday wear in his luggage for this tour. i mean, you couldn't have gone shopping with willie?

I HATE that mic :wink:

:up: to the important things, I wish more people would think about these things.

Please advise on cookie preference and postal situation.

Yours,

B"

Your cookies are like warhorses, overdone and your heart's just not that into it... Keep your cookies Thom gives me lemons.

thom.jpg

The same predictable usernames always coming in and whining about the band/tour/setlist to anyone who will listen definitely do though. I hate having to weed through those posts just to get to someone who actually attended the show and loved every second of it. So annoying!

Have you considered using the "Ignore List" feature?

Seriously? You'd rate Elevation over 360? You prefer a 19 song setlist with only 5 songs off the new album and Bono not being able to sing??????:huh:
Seriously.

I prefer a 19-song show that's sincerily more back-to-basics (than the then-recent past), well structured and Bono with an harsh voice, but honest performance...

...Than a 22-song show that is a non-cohesive "remix" of the previous tours concepts, with a poor setlist structure, with some "desperate" jukebox performances and that relies on a "huge stage structure that allows 360º vision".

I notice a trend on this board that I don't see on other U2 forums. For example a person says they don't necessarily agree with the band's decisions whether that be song, setlist, stage set-up, whatever. Then next thing you know, in come the same people; "you're wrong U2 is doing the best they've ever done", "how can you think that?" etc etc.

Let's be fair.

The "same people" come in saying that they don't agree with the band's decisions, etc. etc.....and then in come the "same people" with the "you're wrong ... etc. etc."

Wow, they could use this before they play One. :wink:

:up: to the important things, I wish more people would think about these things.

Your cookies are like warhorses, overdone and your heart's just not that into it... Keep your cookies Thom gives me lemons.

thom.jpg

The significance of the choice of fruit is not lost on me. It would appear that Radiohead is quite obviously appropriating U2's territory. Midnight is where the day begins and U2 is showing up un-promptly at noon.

I notice a trend on this board that I don't see on other U2 forums. For example a person says they don't necessarily agree with the band's decisions whether that be song, setlist, stage set-up, whatever. Then next thing you know, in come the same people; "you're wrong U2 is doing the best they've ever done", "how can you think that?" etc etc.

Now what I don't get is why is someone who is just voicing their opinion that may not necessarily agree with yours be wrong, ridiculous, or what have you. It's like immediately they are labeled a "hater" and that their comments are out to bash the band. I don't understand why people get so over defensive about it - can people not accept that some people don't like some of the decisions made by U2?

It doesn't mean they should also get lost and go to another band either. I see a lot of that thrown around on here. People should be entitled to their opinion whether it agrees with U2 or not, as well as following the rules of the message board.

Some of you really need to calm down and stop trying to act as though you're the band's 'internet comment defense network'.

Now, I'm all for open discussion, but I don't like being told my comments are ridiculous when I was merely stating my opinion, in a non-offensive manner.

So please, will some people try to calm themselves and realise that some of us are not on a vendetta to bash U2 because we don't agree with their ideas/decisions.

Thanks
WOW. Thanks for this comment, it's so true, I feel part of that group that's unfairly "disbelieved", just because I believe the band has been losing artistic touch, specially with this tour.

Frustrating? No, because this would mean any deep emotional involvement. It is even worse: The tour does not connect, touch as previous tours have done for me. There are only moments in the 'show', that give a hint, what might have been.
360 is the worst U2-tour, I've witnessed so far. An auto-pilote thing, based on a rather spectacular stage and a rather reduced artistical & musical challenge for the performance. U2 have chosn the path, where the big event is everything, and where a more subtle 'concert' approach gets lost. Will we get a u-turn, will we see a band again fighting for their songs & their audience? Nope, the money business still works for them too well...:hmm:

You really should clarify because to post that and leave it up to interpretation is really weak. I have no idea what you're talking about or who you're referring to... who made fun of who because of their age? Not me. The only age-related query I've seen is your recent one.

Again, you really should follow-up. You can't post something unfounded like that and say "I won't post anymore in this thread".

wow. i feel like an idiot. i completely confused you for another poster that has a somewhat similar name. you've probably been sitting here like "what the fuck" all day.

i sincerely apologize.

WOW. Thanks for this comment, it's so true, I feel part of that group that's unfairly "disbelieved", just because I believe the band has been losing artistic touch, specially with this tour.

Wait a second, what's to believe or disbelieve? You have an opinion and other people have another opinion. That's all that's really possible, no?

Wait a second, what's to believe or disbelieve? You have an opinion and other people have another opinion. That's all that's really possible, no?
"disbelieve", don't know if it exists, but I meant to say "to lose credit, not to be believed"... that's what I feel some that don't share my opinion do, by "forgiving" every little thing the band does, whether it's "internet phenomena" fault or the "losing love by the band" argument.

"disbelieve", don't know if it exists, but I meant to say "to lose credit, not to be believed"... that's what I feel some that don't share my opinion do, by "forgiving" every little thing the band does, whether it's "internet phenomena" fault or the "losing love by the band" argument.

but if one truly feels that the band hasn't done anything wrong, then what is there to forgive?

Seriously.

I prefer a 19-song show that's sincerily more back-to-basics (than the then-recent past), well structured and Bono with an harsh voice, but honest performance...

...Than a 22-song show that is a non-cohesive "remix" of the previous tours concepts, with a poor setlist structure, with some "desperate" jukebox performances and that relies on a "huge stage structure that allows 360º vision".

Have you been to a 360 show yet? There's no comparison! U2's performance this time out is better than ever before.

And you thought the Elevation set was well structured? I thought it was a pathetic best-of show from a band about to fall apart from a lack of new ideas and with no faith in their own new album..... I can't tell you how devastated I was after seeing them play in Rhode Island and Albany... it was the low point of their whole career (IMHO) whereas the show I saw in Foxboro last month was the best I've ever seen them!

Yes, I have a few complaints, but the performance is beyond compare! :)

I believe that you aren't happy with what the band is doing these days.

Reading how this thread exploded to 8 pages overnight over my breakfast makes me :happy:

However, Bono has never sent me cookies. How do I get into this action? :eyebrow:

Let's be fair.

The "same people" come in saying that they don't agree with the band's decisions, etc. etc.....and then in come the "same people" with the "you're wrong ... etc. etc."

:lmao:

:sad: Desmond Tutu Lied. That frustrated me!

Let's be fair.

Actually not always. Sometimes you get people who are less known on this board (if we go by the amount of posts) sharing their opinion only to be put as some kind of troll or hater of the band. This I usually see all the time by the same people who like to think U2 can do no wrong - in fact some of the people in this very thread. To be honest, you see a lot more variation in people voicing their opinion about not necessarily agreeing with the band than you do with the people that always jump into the thread to defend.

If you are implying people like me or zwervers2 are always making complaints about the band you are very wrong. If you've seen the threads I've posted or my posts in other threads you will see they are not all negative at all.

I will never forgive U2 for putting on such a great show and giving me the time of my life this summer. :sad:

Is that supposed to be a poor attempt at sarcasm or am I misreading your posts?

Have you been to a 360 show yet? There's no comparison! U2's performance this time out is better than ever before.

And you thought the Elevation set was well structured? I thought it was a pathetic best-of show from a band about to fall apart from a lack of new ideas and with no faith in their own new album..... I can't tell you how devastated I was after seeing them play in Rhode Island and Albany... it was the low point of their whole career (IMHO) whereas the show I saw in Foxboro last month was the best I've ever seen them!

Yes, I have a few complaints, but the performance is beyond compare! :)
The Elevation Tour is a get back in the show concept, it's not wanting it to be big or exhuberant, like the previous tours were.
360º Tour doesn't know if it wants to be one thing or the other, because is an uncohesive mixture of the ideas of the previous tours with nothing really original.

And, yes, I have already been there at 360 (not that this is an argument for me, because it's not).

The Elevation Tour is a get back in the show concept, it's not wanting it to be big or exhuberant, like the previous tours were.
360º Tour doesn't know if it wants to be one thing or the other, because is an uncohesive mixture of the ideas of the previous tours with nothing really original.

And, yes, I have already been there at 360 (not that this is an argument for me, because it's not).

Well, frankly I am surprised that you have been and yet think Elevation was better! I guess we just have different opinions/tastes....

Let me begin by saying I saw U2 at a recent 360 show and absolutely loved it. Despite the fact that I was able to predict almost the entire setlist and missed out on “Unknown Caller” (my favorite song off of NLOTH), I nevertheless had the time of my life seeing them. Frankly, they could play whatever they wish and chances are I’d still have the time of my life.

With that said, my opinion on the new tour as a whole is that it is not what it could be. My main frustration isn’t so much the lack of rarities as it is the lack of NEW material. Thus far, only 7 songs off of NLOTH have been played, and one of those seems to have bitten the dust for the moment.

Let’s look back to the POP era. While I personally love Pop, the mainsteam opinion regarding it is generally that it is “that album that they had to live down”. While NLOTH hasn’t exactly blown the mainstream away, it has fared better than Pop did in the public opinion. With that said, how about we take a look at the average Popmart setlist. Despite the fact that Popmart was supporting a generally disliked album, each setlist nevertheless usually featured up to 9 songs off of Pop. Not only that, but there’s also the fact that all but one song off of Pop was at least attempted within the first leg of the tour. Popmart, as it should have, supported Pop.

Now, let’s compare this with the U2360 tour which, like Popmart, is a stadium tour. So far, 7 songs from NLOTH have been attempted. One of these songs, “Unknown Caller”, seems to be gone for the moment. That leaves 4 NLOTH songs that have not even been attempted yet. Look, I don’t buy into the whole “entitlement” thing, but if honest fans pay to go see U2 on a tour supporting NLOTH, then they deserve better than this.

As I said earlier, I love U2, and they have my love almost no matter what. But this is the tour for NLOTH, so they need to play it. Even if they don’t keep songs, they should at least attempt them. This is the only chance for new material to shine. It’s really as simple as that in my opinion

Let me begin by saying I saw U2 at a recent 360 show and absolutely loved it. Despite the fact that I was able to predict almost the entire setlist and missed out on “Unknown Caller” (my favorite song off of NLOTH), I nevertheless had the time of my life seeing them. Frankly, they could play whatever they wish and chances are I’d still have the time of my life.

With that said, my opinion on the new tour as a whole is that it is not what it could be. My main frustration isn’t so much the lack of rarities as it is the lack of NEW material. Thus far, only 7 songs off of NLOTH have been played, and one of those seems to have bitten the dust for the moment.

Let’s look back to the POP era. While I personally love Pop, the mainsteam opinion regarding it is generally that it is “that album that they had to live down”. While NLOTH hasn’t exactly blown the mainstream away, it has fared better than Pop did in the public opinion. With that said, how about we take a look at the average Popmart setlist. Despite the fact that Popmart was supporting a generally disliked album, each setlist nevertheless usually featured up to 9 songs off of Pop. Not only that, but there’s also the fact that all but one song off of Pop was at least attempted within the first leg of the tour. Popmart, as it should have, supported Pop.

Now, let’s compare this with the U2360 tour which, like Popmart, is a stadium tour. So far, 7 songs from NLOTH have been attempted. One of these songs, “Unknown Caller”, seems to be gone for the moment. That leaves 4 NLOTH songs that have not even been attempted yet. Look, I don’t buy into the whole “entitlement” thing, but if honest fans pay to go see U2 on a tour supporting NLOTH, then they deserve better than this.

As I said earlier, I love U2, and they have my love almost no matter what. But this is the tour for NLOTH, so they need to play it. Even if they don’t keep songs, they should at least attempt them. This is the only chance for new material to shine. It’s really as simple as that in my opinion

EXACTLY! I want a tour to support the album, not the best-of. Rarities are fun, but I want to go to a new world; like they took me to for ZOOTV and POPmart!

:up:

if they at least attempted to play zooropa live in 1993 then songs like SUC and FEZ should be no problem.

It is like you said not an issue of a great night out, that is provided. There is just something missing and playing more new songs live instead of dropping them is one of them.

this is by far the tour with the least played songs of a new record for U2 and that is something that is difficult to understand when they kept talking how proud they were of this record. Maybe they are unsure about its quality or the livetransition isn't working in their opinion or something.

If you are implying people like me or zwervers2 are always making complaints about the band you are very wrong. If you've seen the threads I've posted or my posts in other threads you will see they are not all negative at all.

I was trying to make a Desmond Tutu joke.

Plus... Back in 1997, the band almost had to time to rehearse the new songs. They can't complain about it this time. They had plenty of time to make all kinds of new live arrangements for the most difficult songs.

Despite the fact that Popmart was supporting a generally disliked album, each setlist nevertheless usually featured up to 9 songs off of Pop. Not only that, but there’s also the fact that all but one song off of Pop was at least attempted within the first leg of the tour. Popmart, as it should have, supported Pop.

This could be the problem though, they consider Pop and Popmart to be a failure. They probably don't want to make what they consider to be the same mistake again. They're scared to tour an album that has "supposedly" gotten a lukewarm reception in giant stadiums during a worldwide recession, particularly if they expect to continue this "worldwide" tour into 2010.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom