Is this tour frustrating you?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
in my opinion if people who are sitting thousands of miles away are getting frustrated and wound up etc over whatever, then they really need to just step away from here for a while.

absolutely. i was just about to post the same thing. now that i've stopped reading, or letting the negative comments get to me, i've really enjoyed the band again. i've actually been listening to Atomic Bomb quite a bit and really enjoying it. i know that classifies me as an idiot here. but i just don't care anymore.

All I can say is that I'm about to explode with excitement to see this show for a second time in person this evening. Do I agree with every decision the band have made on this tour? No. Am I frustrated or disappointed? No. This show is downright incredible to see/hear in person.

absolutely. i was just about to post the same thing. now that i've stopped reading, or letting the negative comments get to me, i've really enjoyed the band again. i've actually been listening to Atomic Bomb quite a bit and really enjoying it. i know that classifies me as an idiot here. but i just don't care anymore.

There's only one correct reaction to this.

:panic:

lol at the 3 responses.

by the way, i agree with all the internet comments as well. but i don't think it's directly the internet's fault. it's how you use it. when i look back, yeah, i wish i hadn't listened to the beach clips or followed the setlist every night before the Chicago show. but that's my fault.

i also think it's a matter of not letting the cynical people get to you. i just think that there are people here that will naturally see everything in a negative light and look for flaws in everything. being who i am, i like to try to take in and understand all points, but it just recently became apparent that i need to ignore about 99% of the opinions stated here.

absolutely. i was just about to post the same thing. now that i've stopped reading, or letting the negative comments get to me, i've really enjoyed the band again.

This is why I post more here than on The Church forum. :D

I found I enjoy their music more when I don't dissect it or read other's dissections of it. But I still get a kick out of bitch and moan threads (just not about bands I dearly love), so I come here because I don't really mind people bitching and moaning about U2 (because they are a band I like rather than love). :lol:

(I do think more people would be happier if they didn't worry so much about what others thought about songs, albums, or bands they like. If you like it/them, it's all good, right? Does it really matter that someone else doesn't like it?)

It's not U2 that have changed so much, it's the fucking INTERNET!!!! I keep saying this, having instant access to every little teeny weeny piece of information/setlist/photo/Bono fart is taking the mystique of things. I've been a fan for centuries, back in the dim dark past I had to wait for 3 month old NMEs and Melody Makers to find out set lists, tour info, what Bono's mullet looked like.
This is so true

I'm one of those that truly believes that U2 have been losing artistic vision in many things on the last years. For me, this 360º Tour is the best proof of it. I was turned down everytime I explained why by some fans who can't see in multiple direction IMO, but I still stand for it. Starting on the concept of the show, and ending on the deliverance of some songs and on the setlist choices, 360º Tour is very poor, specially when compared to the previous 4 tours and when compared to the album (it seems like they're promoting something else rather than NLOTH).

...and it's not just the damn internet phenomenon. U2 claims they want to be relevant for a long period. Internet came to shake things and to give new ways to pull over our mind and the way we think and structure thoughts. U2 have to face it too if they really want to be relevant.

Seriously? You'd rate Elevation over 360? You prefer a 19 song setlist with only 5 songs off the new album and Bono not being able to sing??????:huh:

This album is way better than the last two. Two nights ago I watched The Vertigo Chicago DVD for the first time in months and all I can say is that it was pretty underwhelming. The whole band is much better this tour and the concert I went to (Amsterdam II) was just more than magnificent.

in my opinion if people who are sitting thousands of miles away are getting frustrated and wound up etc over whatever, then they really need to just step away from here for a while.

4 reals yo...

If you are getting this worked up about fucking U2 concerts, I think it's time to take a step back.

also :panic: > anything said in this thread

I think that after Cardiff in August they were carrying a lot of momentum, then the first few US shows they seemed to be finding a theme or concept IMO. It seems that they are stagnating a little bit now... Would it be correct to assume that they are playing it safe midway through the US tour because of the places they are playing... No disrespect but are they midway through a run of weaker towns/markets for the band. Serious question?

I think that after Cardiff in August they were carrying a lot of momentum, then the first few US shows they seemed to be finding a theme or concept IMO. It seems that they are stagnating a little bit now... Would it be correct to assume that they are playing it safe midway through the US tour because of the places they are playing... No disrespect but are they midway through a run of weaker towns/markets for the band. Serious question?

I think you've summed it up perfectly!
No idea if the capital region and south is weak for U2....

i'm sure they get updates from Principal Management about what markets have been slower in album and ticket sales when they tour.

Sure, a little, but I have no reason to complain. And hey, U2 wouldn't get me all frustrated if I didn't love them so much.

:)

When someone writes frustrated between " " there is a reason. There are so many negative narrowminded people here it is unreal sometimes and almost no one is giving an answer to a simple question. Are you still totally in love with the band (eventhough they make, in your opinion, strange decisions) or are you questioning the decisions more than you used to and are a bit "turned off' by it?

Either way, it is okay. No big worldproblems etc

Blaming the internet is really stupid. Internet was there 10 years ago and in the hell freezes over situation that U2 would change it up every night like crazy no one would complain about it so just because the medium is there doesnt mean it is the causer of the "problem".(notice the "" " again, they are there for a reason). U2 USA is staleness and a non challenging midlifecrisis experience like the Stones are (they change it up much more by the way :) ). Everything that made this band what they are, is lost quickly withou any reason. It started off wonderfull, then Electrical storm made its debute(fantastic) and was dropped. YBR (great that they decided to play it) will not be played again, I can tell you that. With the rediscovered tunes like UF, MLK, UV and the "new" ES and YBR (not to mention Drowning man) 360 had the potential of becomming something extraordinary and memorable in the history of the band, up till now it has not. That ladies and gentlemen, is a damn shame. The claw looks fantastic, the band is in shape but it just isn't A+..

Again, just my opinion. No need to cry about it, no need to feel insulted as a superior being. No one gets hurt. Just an opinion

First of all, you did not put frustrated in "quotations" in the title and honestly whether you use "quotations" or not it still comes off as "complaining" for the sake of "complaining". That's great that this is all your "opinion" and all but to act all shocked and surprised when people do not like your "opinion" seems pretty "narrow-minded" if you ask me... but that is just my "opinion"...

Speaking of which, saying this:
There are so many negative narrowminded people here it is unreal sometimes

followed by this:

U2 USA is staleness and a non challenging midlifecrisis experience like the Stones are (they change it up much more by the way :) ). Everything that made this band what they are, is lost quickly withou any reason. It started off wonderfull, then Electrical storm made its debute(fantastic) and was dropped. YBR (great that they decided to play it) will not be played again, I can tell you that. With the rediscovered tunes like UF, MLK, UV and ES and YBR (not to mentoin Drowning man) 360 had the potential of becomming something extraordinary and memorable in the history of the band, up till now it has not. That ladies and gentlemen, is a damn shame.

Is pretty hypocritical... This is just the second leg of the tour, it is not going to end any time soon and there is plenty of time to change the precious setlist.

After all is said and done and the tour is over, if U2 kept a static setlist throughout and didn't bother to change anything or bring in new material to your liking, then you can be legitimately "frustrated" and complain about it but seriously, what is the point about complaining right now, other than the need to have your opinions validated by other complainers?

Dear fellow INTERFERENCERS.

In the last couple of years there have been (wonderfull) debats between us, the people who clearly love the band, for so long, about new songs, setlists, Bono's hair etc. For the first time (although I have been very critical of the band the last 7 to 8 years) I notice that I get more and more "frustrated" with the decisions the band makes when it commes to songselection on the album as well as on tour etc.

Be honest and ask yourself: are there wrinkles appearing on your U2 appreciation face or are you still the 100% devotee you have allways been and they can do no more wrong/right then they used to do?

I am clearly in the first category. There is still a lot of love but a lot less marvel if you know what I mean.

I am curious :)

I agree with you... I also believe others are losing interest. I'm noticing less activity here, and some notable Interferencers seem to have disappeared (that Boston Red Sox fan?).

I'm amazed that U2 can be so innovative on one front and so not on the other... huge stage vs. boring/stagnant set. For all the rhetoric about big ideas, U2 has none on the set front. And then U2.com overcompensate with their "think you know the 360 Tour, think again" articles... and U2 overcompensate by going "snippet crazy". I'm amazed that this beyond capable band is selling themself short. Anyway, I say this all because I still believe in the band. It's just tough love right now. I can so see them coming out with a documentary and saying how they despised the big 360 stage and it really wasn't a good show and coming out and playing less rehearsed club or hockey arena shows...

I can't get frustrated over things that I cannot change- sure I'd love to see changing setlists, 3+ hour shows and the like, but it's U2. Amount of song rotation and concert length has stayed pretty much the same for over 20 years. It's kind of depressing to be complaining about the same thing year after year, tour after tour...Yeah, Vertigo had some other songs introduced, but wasn't that toward the end of the tour? Anyway, I'll stick to complaining about things that can be changed- like buttheaded security screwing up GA and things of that nature...I still love NLOTH, and I'll still be dancing my ass off on the 20th!!!!
happy-102.gif

I think everyone needs to realise that U2 are 4 guys, been doing everything for 30 years the way they want to do things. They dont spend there life looking at there fans opinions on the net. Just try and put yourself in there shoes right now. They have no knowledge there fans are pissed off with breathe being an opener or saying the encore is weak on a net forum do they. There doing what works for them and the audiences, not for the bitches on this forum moaning all the time. Im sure as far as the band goes feedback wise would be papers and magazines. The band gets there feedback to whether they should drop a song ect from the audiences, and most of the time the setlist gets a great reaction, cos of course its a u2 concert, its happy times, not sitting in the GA shouting why you opening with Breathe. So stop all the moaning cos it wont change nothing the band does, so your wasting your time. Enjoy U2 whilst there still together, cos when there not you will regret not make the most of them times.

Martin

I notice a trend on this board that I don't see on other U2 forums. For example a person says they don't necessarily agree with the band's decisions whether that be song, setlist, stage set-up, whatever. Then next thing you know, in come the same people; "you're wrong U2 is doing the best they've ever done", "how can you think that?" etc etc.

Now what I don't get is why is someone who is just voicing their opinion that may not necessarily agree with yours be wrong, ridiculous, or what have you. It's like immediately they are labeled a "hater" and that their comments are out to bash the band. I don't understand why people get so over defensive about it - can people not accept that some people don't like some of the decisions made by U2?

It doesn't mean they should also get lost and go to another band either. I see a lot of that thrown around on here. People should be entitled to their opinion whether it agrees with U2 or not, as well as following the rules of the message board.

Some of you really need to calm down and stop trying to act as though you're the band's 'internet comment defense network'.

Now, I'm all for open discussion, but I don't like being told my comments are ridiculous when I was merely stating my opinion, in a non-offensive manner.

So please, will some people try to calm themselves and realise that some of us are not on a vendetta to bash U2 because we don't agree with their ideas/decisions.

Thanks

what i don't understand is how some folks think a set list varies as a result of minor tweaks. I think we all agree that the US setlists after Chicago and Toronto have been almost carbon copies of each other. That's fine, not much argument there. But then I always read the inexplicable corollary that the European 360 shows had varied setlists. Why? because those valuable 7-8 slots sometimes mixed it up between the same five or six songs - desire, aoh, es, stay, etc.?

When I can predict 90% of a setlist night after night after night (yes, for the european shows) without any change to speak of during the encore...well to me that is not set list variety. I'm not condemning it; U2 is what U2 is and I don't have other expectations. I just don't get the whole camp that thinks the european shows had variety other than when compared to the US shows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom