Is this tour frustrating you?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Did ES actually get any better than it's debut? Can anybody at those early shows comment on how it went down? Just interested...

I think UF sounds utterly brilliant, i love what Bono has done with the "stay in this moment.." bit. He's changed it to suit his new range and it works a treat...

UV is wonderful, the intros have been inspired, the visuals are amazing. I don't know if it tops the Washington DC 1992 version, but it's close. I did love the mirrorball man so i'm probably biased!

YBR sounds great IMO, okay it's not as dark and dusky as the album version, but capturing that feel in a stadium is impossible. The new space theme works very well IMO, and the space chatter sounds haunting and very uplifting at the same time... I think that this song/performance, along with UC pulled the whole show together, concept wise. Without them, it feels like a long list of songs, until the encore... I honestly thought that UC would be the last song they would remove from the show. In Europe it felt like the lynchpin...:hmm:

Well that's convenient, as I got my BA in U2 Telepathy from the Healing Academy of Kneeling Souls.
Then, a moderator poking fun and continuing the joke of another user by something I (an user too) wrote, that's not fulfilling your "job" here. And that's not being objective and impartial - but that doesn't scary me, it's something I'm used to by most moderators here (some exceptions excluded).

Then, a moderator poking fun and continuing the joke of another user by something I (an user too) wrote, that's not fulfilling your "job" here. And that's not being objective and impartial - but that doesn't scary me, it's something I'm used to by most moderators here (some exceptions excluded).

actually, i don't think you're qualified to judge the mods, well, unless you've taken college courses in internet forum moderation. :wink:

Did you read what I said?? I was not jumping into your personal argument with anyone, just addressing what I thought were a bunch of posts in this thread attacking people with their own ideas to offer. What I am doing is not none of my concern, I am posting in this thread like everyone else.

Don't tell me to butt out, you are not a moderator, and you have already been told to but out by the moderators. The irony. You don't decide anything here, so don't tell me where to go on this forum, got that much?

I am not rehashing old crap, I am making an argument that U2 has tried alot of non catchy, non linear, never expected to get out of the studio songs before, so why not now? Alot of people have asked the same question.

You have addressed my other post, I addressed that.
Well, but he believes he owns the truth, and thinks he can use arrogance to reply to what he doesn't like to read.
What's too bad here is there's a group of followers that don't allow that other fans might be dissatisfied with the band's work and that might think that the band lost artistic vision. I make lots and lots of criticism to this tour, but I justify and put arguments in what I say. Instead, these followers, don't accept anything we might say and try to take credibility to those who think U2 are not that perfect and that don't forgive every little thing (like they do, because they're saints).

This has happened to me here tones of times before, but it seems irrelevant. What I think is there's many people here with sectary behavious (this doesn't suprise me, don't worry). Fortunately, I don't jump on that boat.

Well, but he believes he owns the truth, and thinks he can use arrogance to reply to what he doesn't like to read.
What's too bad here is there's a group of followers that don't allow that other fans might be dissatisfied with the band's work and that might think that the band lost artistic vision. I make lots and lots of criticism to this tour, but I justify and put arguments in what I say. Instead, these followers, don't accept anything we might say and try to take credibility to those who think U2 are not that perfect and that don't forgive every little thing (like they do, because they're saints).

This has happened to me here tones of times before, but it seems irrelevant. What I think is there's many people here with sectary behavious (this doesn't suprise me, don't worry). Fortunately, I don't jump on that boat.

That sectary behaviour remark is actually quit interesting and scary at the same time. Never thought about it that way but now that you mention it. There ARE people who's quotes (endless defence) seem to come from some vague documentary about a sect.

Bono would not approve of those people, that is for sure :wink:

or maybe even close the thread because I'm sensing this war of words will never stop...

NNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooo!!!!!!!!

Reading this thread is the most fun I've had in at least a couple of days! :D

but I justify and put arguments in what I say.

But you really don't you just weigh them down with arrogance. There's a lot of people who give criticism who don't sell their opinions as fact that and are respected around here... something to think about :shrug:

This place has never been worse.

Actually it has.

:yes:

And christ, you only asked your question two hours ago. Has it occurred to you that the people able or willing to answer it might not be here right now or might not have even read your question? Have a little patience.

Okay, I tried to ask a serious question... This place has never been worse. Fuck it. :angry:

maybe there is no one online who saw that song live in person. It's not like you asked this question 2 months ago or something
I think it is still a shame it was dropped though

This place has never been worse. Fuck it. :angry:

This is so mild...

Why are you so upset? Like many have said, this thread was doomed from the beginning, any time spent in interference and you should know that...

If zwervers wanted honest discussion he would have framed the thread MUCH differently.

so far it's been as spontaneous as the vertigo tour and i think the music has been better too.

No, but as said: It is personal taste and individual feeling. By the way: I've read now the last pages – what has happened here since last night? Hm, might we please return to the thread's topic, please?

I had no idea uninspired and lackadaisical were musical styles.

I agree that at times it does sound uninspired and lackadaisical...I just think that many times people automatically call it that just because it's not performed in the same style as the 1987 performances...when it's not uninspired and lackadaisical. Anyway this discussion is better off in the WOWY thread anyway.

Remember that U2 almost had no time to rehearse the songs back in 1997 and songs like IGWSHA or DYFL were dropped very early because they didn't work live and the band didn't have too much time to find a way to make it work.

Velvet Dress is "too slow" as well, and the band played it anyway. Plus, "Van Diemen's Land" or RTSS are slowers too and they were played lots of times, specially RTSS. You said that WAS doesn't have a proper chorus. Well, neither RTSS has a "proper" chorus.
"Lemon" and "Numb" are studio pieces and the band found a way to present it live and to insert (and make i fit) it on a show that had already a concept previously conceived.

These are no excuses.

U2 had less time to rehearse in 1997. Still, U2 cut more new songs on that tour.

Velvet dress is slow but at least it has a groove to it that works. Van Diemen's land was done to let Edge sing, and was dropped after Lovetown. RTSS is a much stronger song than WAS, and has a buildup that works live (and by *chorus* I mean something that the full arena/stadium can sing). I would like to hear WAS in the *acoustic song* spot, I just don't think it would work. And I can't see Cedars anywhere else but closing the show, which currently MOS is doing a good job with anyway.

Consider the band pretty much had to add the new Zooropa songs to the setlist - yet arguably only Stay really worked. (well, and Dirty day, due to the solo) Numb and Lemon are stronger in the studio than live.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom