Is this opening too much too soon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marik

Refugee
Had a thought today, imagine Stingray Guitar still opening the show and welcoming the band on stage, followed by Crazy remix and Bloody Sunday.
Crazy remix would sound kinda reminsiant of the Mofo opener, and even its lyrics of Bono hollering "Im gonna go crazy if i dont go crazy tonight" would really get the crowd amped and wild and kinda a staement about the evening in front of them. then as it ends and the bloody sunday guitar starts, the roof would go off (if their were roofs). It would keep with the idea that U2 always likes to open with a new album song, and with such a big hit coming in right after, i think this would be an exciting 1-2 (well, 1-2-3 if you count stingray guitar in there).

I don't think it would do Crazy justice if they would start with it. The audience isn't ready at that time, most people will be WTF'ing majorly over it, especially after Stingray, which is a completely unknown opening song as well. IMO they should start with a more well known song to get the crowd going.

Though, ofcourse, I wouldn't mind it if they said fuck all and did Stingray > MOFO.

Stingray>>Until The End of The World

Stingray>>Hawkmoon 260

Stingray>>Full band Desire

I hope they're considering all of these options.

Soon>>Red screen Streets would also work well.

I think Stingray>Until The End of The World would work really well. I'd love to see something like this for the first several songs:

Stingray
Until The End of the World
Desire (ZooTV Style)
No Line On The Horizon
Beautiful Day
Even Better Than The Real Thing
Mysterious Ways
Get On Your Boots
Magnificent

Stingray > When Love Comes To Town

Stingray > Stand Up Comedy

Stingray > Cover of Metallica's "Master of Puppets"

Stingray > Grace

Stingray > The Playboy Mansion

Stingray > Cover of Billy Joel's "Piano Man"

Stingray > Dancing Queen

Stingray > Cover of Talking Head's "And She Was"/"Life During Wartime"

:wink: :wink: :wink:

Serious suggestions follow:

Stingray>I Will Follow>Magnificent
Soon>Where The Streets Have No Name>I Will Follow -- I like to imagine this is how they would have opened there Glastonbury show, had they played there this year.
Stingray>God Part II
Soon>One Tree Hill
Soon>Zoo Station

I don't think it would do Crazy justice if they would start with it. The audience isn't ready at that time, most people will be WTF'ing majorly over it, especially after Stingray, which is a completely unknown opening song as well. IMO they should start with a more well known song to get the crowd going.

Though, ofcourse, I wouldn't mind it if they said fuck all and did Stingray > MOFO.

Crazy Tonight isn't a completely unknown song. Why do they need to start with a well known song to get the crowd going?
Breathe was a fine opener last year, and really set the tone of the show at the beginning.

MOFO and Zoo Station were at the time's of their respective tours not the most well known U2 songs either and those openers worked out great.

Crazy Tonight isn't a completely unknown song. Why do they need to start with a well known song to get the crowd going?
Breathe was a fine opener last year, and really set the tone of the show at the beginning.

MOFO and Zoo Station were at the time's of their respective tours not the most well known U2 songs either and those openers worked out great.

Crazy Tonight isn't indeed, but the live remix is! Though I reckon after releasing the Rose Bowl dvd more people know about it, but it still has the difference with Mofo and ZS that those two were on the latest album.

I'm not necessarily saying that it needs to be a well known song, but they decided that this tour isn't supporting NLOTH anymore, so in that case they might as well use a golden oldie.

Still, if we're talking NLOTH songs to open, Stingray > Fez > Being Born would be epic.

Crazy Tonight isn't indeed, but the live remix is! Though I reckon after releasing the Rose Bowl dvd more people know about it, but it still has the difference with Mofo and ZS that those two were on the latest album.

I'm not necessarily saying that it needs to be a well known song, but they decided that this tour isn't supporting NLOTH anymore, so in that case they might as well use a golden oldie.

Still, if we're talking NLOTH songs to open, Stingray > Fez > Being Born would be epic.

I love Fez Being Born but I don't see it opening a concert.

I much prefer Stingray>Magnificent (without a long pause between them)

That would work, with Bono launching into the What time is it in the world's at the end of Stingray, it could seque in well.

If they keep Stingray it needs to be lights off. If you are going to come out to a brightly lit stadium you might as well open with Elevation again.

If they keep Stingray it needs to be lights off. If you are going to come out to a brightly lit stadium you might as well open with Elevation again.

I agree. Therefore, Space Oddity > Soon > Stingray, in my opinion, should work. Not like what the band did and rehearse another way to open the show. The energy was somewhat gone when Stingray was played with the lights on.

As long as the show starts with the lights off, I will be satisfied.

Fez Being Born is the best choice out of NLOTH songs to open with. Won't happen unfortunately.

Fez -> __?__ is a great idea, as long as the following song is something with electricity that the crowd can grab on to.

Fez -> Being Born however, would go over about as well as Breathe. After the intial excitement of the intro, the song settles down to slow and steady rumble, with not enough sustained energy for a large stadium.

^^

Exactly!!

The reasons why Fez/B-B would not work as an opener have always been pretty apparent to me. Never understood the fascination here with that possibility.:huh:

Just get the hell out there and open with Stingray/Until The End of The World/NYD or Soon/Streets/I Will Follow.

There is little doubt in anyone's mind that both of these would set the place on fire.

I really don't get why people still say that Breathe didn't go down well. Sure, people on here didn't like it as opener, but at the shows about 99% of the people around me loved every second. :huh:

Back
Top Bottom