Is The 360 Tour The New "Pop" Tour?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
All the ones I know love her... Maybe it reminds them of their dressing up like Madonna days. :shrug:

and they must love coldplay too looking at their salesnumbers of Viva la vida which is a fantastic album in case someone hasn't heared it yet.
Go buy it now, it is worth the money :wink:

But zwervers2 your posts always come across as if your opinion is more valid than anyone elses, you go on about NLOTH not scoring to well but your not looking at the facts, its the biggest selling album of the year wordwide upto now, how on earth is that not scoring to well?, as for the singles not have any impact thats just not true either, after each single here in the UK the album has seen a rise in position and sales, so imo that is a single having an impact on an album,

and there will be some people who find this tour to be better than ZooTv, of course there will, and they dont really need you to keep telling them otherwise, just because "you where there".

The singles have performed badly, and although your unquestioning optimism is in some ways endearing, there is no getting away from that. No top ten singles in the UK- even Window In The Skies was top ten for goodness sake. I know the charts have changed but U2 clearly couldn't keep up.

this is obviously better than the Pop show. More than two Pre-Joshua Tree songs are being played and no stupid karaoke songs!

Interestingly the Wembley shows did not garner especially good reviews from the quality newspapers over here. The Telegraph criticised Bono's poorly phrased vocal on One and the Independent described the show as underwhelming. The Times is more positive, arguing 360 was an improvement on the last two tours which "played it far too safe, revisiting the guitar-chugging sincerity of their 1980s roots."

U2, Wembley Stadium, London<br/>N-Dubz, Opera House, Bournemouth - Reviews, Music - The Independent

Review: U2 play to biggest-ever Wembley Stadium crowd - Telegraph

U2 at Wembley Stadium live reviews | Music | Arts & Entertainment - Times Online

Do the British press ever like U2?

It's funny, in the US, everyone tends to ignore U2, but the non-Pitchfork media absolutely fawn over them. It's the opposite in the UK at the moment.

Well, you must remember that we bear the brunt of Bono's "discourse" over here, which makes us pretty cynical about his projects. But we do have real affection and respect for U2's music- some of their biggest singles successes have been over here and their experimental phase went down much better in Britain than in America. Therefore, even journalists are able to separate their admiration for U2 from their ambivalence about Bono, and it is this whic makes reviews so interesting. Bono claimed last Autumn that 2009 was going to be "our year." Yes, in some ways, it has been U2s year- NLOTH is its biggest-selling album thus far and they are playing to the largest audiences of their career, but have they captured and dominated the public sphere with the album and tour? No- certainly not to the same extent as they did in the early 90s. Maybe that's a just a symptom of some broader shift they cannot control, but maybe certain decisions they made have played a part too.

the Times Online article wont load for me but the first two are clearly biased with the opinion that the new album isn't good and looks to me that these "reviewers" took this bias to the concert with them...

This is my favourite part from The Independent Review:

Its sheer scale allows Stumpy Hewson (as you can see, I've remained untouched by the Bono charm offensive which has muddled the judgement of other, usually reliable critics), his garden labourer on guitar and the Other Two to play so far apart they may as well be on separate continents, their wanderings assisted by moving radial walkways. Give it a couple of tours and they'll be Stannah stairlifts.

wow, that's not petty or anything...

Of course it's petty but the fans who defend the show are no less biased.

you really like this argument, don't you?

This is why I find reviews of concerts to be completely stupid and in most cases they seem like an excuse for critics to either kiss a musician’s ass or make themselves feel important by bringing down the musician in question.

I mean really, think about it for a moment. The concert is OVER, what is the point of reviewing it? For those people who are going to see it in other cities?

the Times Online article wont load for me but the first two are clearly biased with the opinion that the new album isn't good and looks to me that these "reviewers" took this bias to the concert with them...

This is my favourite part from The Independent Review:

wow, that's not petty or anything...

That independent review was simply awful.

I like the before/after comparisons:

Thread starter "Before Attending Show"

There something not right about this tour.I dont think the set list is that good and venues dont seem to be selling out.The reaction to NLOTH isnt very positive generally either.I get the feeling this is heading to a POP kind of failure?

Thread starter "After Attending Show"

Well im just back from Hampden and i have to say im utterly,utterly blown away by U2,they are just completely incredible live,The claw up close is phenomenal and the whole show is AMAZING! Honestly,the videos on youtube just dont do it justice.Im dumbfounded by how great U2 are.By far the best band ive ever seen. The only downside to the night was that the sound was completely messed up.Half of Walk On didnt come through the PA but the band didnt know and kept on playing and it was virtual silence to us.Also sometimes the guitar sound cut out during songs.To be honest this didnt take away from the night. If you havent been to the 360 tour yet youre in for an absolute treat! P.S I still cant beleive Bono was only about 3 feet from me eafrlier! :drool::ohmy:

pop is not a failure. a platinum album and and tour that broke a Guinness book of world records. what are you smoking? NLOTH is almost platinum in the US and this is 2009 where you have to pro rate album sales due to fact to that theirs massive illegal downloading and legal downloading that allows you to gets certain songs and not the whole album. in the past you had actually had to get off your ass and buy the album. and that comment has applied to myself a few times , but never to u2. i buy u2 albums at stores.

pop is not a failure. a platinum album and and tour that broke a Guinness book of world records. what are you smoking? NLOTH is almost platinum in the US and this is 2009 where you have to pro rate album sales due to fact to that theirs massive illegal downloading and legal downloading that allows you to gets certain songs and not the whole album. in the past you had actually had to get off your ass and buy the album. and that comment has applied to myself a few times , but never to u2. i buy u2 albums at stores.

I agree with this :up:. Pop didn't sell as much as they thought it would but a failure is a bit dramatical if it's platinum.

Back
Top Bottom