Is MOFO coming? Where is it going?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What makes you think those are the songs they want to play, or they aren't doing whatever they please right now? I agree with what you are saying, and would like to hear all those BUT I think U2 has always been about getting the biggest reaction and pleasing the largest number of people. I think they would quickly go away from a lot of that stuff (if they ever played it) because they wouldn't get the huge reactions. All the comments about not playing drowning man were because they were so worried about the reaction to it, and it would kill momentum (ie- crowd won't go crazy over it).

I think that is why they are still playing elevation almost every night. They cannot think its one of their best songs, but they get a huge reaction. Maybe I'm wrong but I think they enjoy playing the songs that get the biggest reactions, and would explain a lot about their song choices.

I am not saying that they are not doing what they please. By in large, I think that they are. Otherwise, we would not have 7 new songs with UV, UF, YBR and ES played as well. Though I can not know their minds or hearts, they are playing new material and what they feel goes best with it.

I agree with what you say about the crowd reactions. I have never been in favor of completely eliminating popular/well known songs from the set, just rotating them and maybe not playing ALL of them in one night. Like others, I understand the drowning man momentum argument, but then they go and play YBR? I like it, but it loses 99%. At least UF is well known and UV is an upbeat, amazing track, both accompanied by great visual effects.

Songs like MOFO, Please and LNOE are powerful enough to overcome the "WTF" effect, in my opinion.

I think its a combination of reactions and what they feel like playing. In playing UV, they are trusting the audience to respond to a great performance of a great song, even if they may not know it that well.

I reckon you could easily mix the Crazy Remix and Mofo together. Some parts of the Crazy Remix could easily work behind (a slightly faster) Mofo. Or you could just completely break between the two. The “I know I’ll go crazy” chants go into the big Larry drum attack, and then, boom, that bassline and you’re off into a jumped up Mofo. Would be cool.

I reckon you could easily mix the Crazy Remix and Mofo together. Some parts of the Crazy Remix could easily work behind (a slightly faster) Mofo. Or you could just completely break between the two. The “I know I’ll go crazy” chants go into the big Larry drum attack, and then, boom, that bassline and you’re off into a jumped up Mofo. Would be cool.

:up:

i often wondered why the don't do a medley like disco-sats on elevation. it's not my ideal as i would rather hear the whole songs, but with how extensive their catalog is it seems to make sense to do one three song medley. if it was done well, they have so many great songs that would be a great new take if put right next to each other (think stories for boys in vertigo but extended more). they could then play some hits, in an abbreviated way without taking up such a large portion of the set.

Holy moly. :drool:

I beleive the band will play MOFO for Raleigh as a nod to the canceled show from PopMart. (it was rehearsed in NJ last night) I would prefer Gone or Please.
How many folks are going that had tickets for Pop there?
I still have my ticket and think I will bring it along and try to get a autograph.
I remember seeing the stage setup in place before they canceled due to technical issues after DC storm. (Not that I beleive that as they had only sold 10,000 tickets or so) Claw will arrive on Sunday from NJ for assembly.
Raleigh is only city to ever have a show canceled by u2 if I am not mistaken. Even Austraila got a show when Adam was out misbehaving.......
Maybe they will bring out the lemon just for the kick of it... LOL:up:

The main reason for the cancellation of that gig was the ticket sales. The screen was damaged prior to the DC show during set up during a monsoon and they still played the DC show with the screen screwed up because it was a near sellout. If the Raleigh show had been soldout or a near sellout they would have rescheduled and or played it anyway with the screen messed up. It was a convenient excuse to avoid the embarrasment of playing a show in a venue that would have been 3/4 empty. They would have basically had to pay to play that show, they wouldnt have earned money of out it or even broken even also. It was primarily a financial decision.

Mofo could get played but I do not think it would have anything to do with the Popmart cancellation. I think the timing of the supposed soundcheck of it is a coincidence. Bono has been snippeting it for a few shows so its on his mind for some reason, but I doubt it has anything to do with Raleigh specifically. I think if they were going to pull a POP song for that reason it would be Discotheque or Bono would just do an extended snippet of a POP song.

I guess we will know for sure soon. :)

The main reason for the cancellation of that gig was the ticket sales. The screen was damaged prior to the DC show during set up during a monsoon and they still played the DC show with the screen screwed up because it was a near sellout. If the Raleigh show had been soldout or a near sellout they would have rescheduled and or played it anyway with the screen messed up. It was a convenient excuse to avoid the embarrasment of playing a show in a venue that would have been 3/4 empty. They would have basically had to pay to play that show, they wouldnt have earned money of out it or even broken even also. It was primarily a financial decision.

Mofo could get played but I do not think it would have anything to do with the Popmart cancellation. I think the timing of the supposed soundcheck of it is a coincidence. Bono has been snippeting it for a few shows so its on his mind for some reason, but I doubt it has anything to do with Raleigh specifically. I think if they were going to pull a POP song for that reason it would be Discotheque or Bono would just do an extended snippet of a POP song.

I guess we will know for sure soon. :)

yeah, i pretty much agree with this. i guess i don't ever see the band sitting down and saying "you know, we really owe Raleigh a Popmart song because of what happened in 1997."

Guys, Mofo is totally gonna happen in Tampa when they see me holding this super awesome sign.

7616_785976524643_6209520_44206087_807834_n.jpg

No one can say no to glitter and unicorns!

That sign is so glittery you better hope Adam isn't wearing his glittery shirt otherwise it's gonna seriously clash!

It was snippeted during the intro to COBL on Boston 2 last week, I don't know if anyone ever confirmed the 'soundcheck' that was reported was any more than just the drum tech playing the beat?

Regardless of what the band or fans think of Pop and Popmart in general, it would be a crime to not bring back one of the three:

MOFO
Last Night On Earth
Please

These are some of U2's best live songs; and the majority of the casual fans there will like them without even realizing they are off "that album that sucks"

After talking to people who worked or went to the Gillette shows, I just dont give a shit about casual fans or listeners anymore, sorry. They all told me how U2 should have never played 7 songs from NLOTH and just played the greatest hits like the stones, kiss, etc. I tried to tell them, look, U2 is not that kind of band and they honestly try and make every album their best. You don't see the Stones latest album going #1 all over the industrialized world. Most of the setlist bitching comes from casual fans looking for EVEN MORE of the greatest hits!! As if BD, MW, Stuck, Elevation, One, Streets, WOWY, Still havent found, SBS, NYD and Vertigo were not enough for one set!

U2 in general is getting so much criticism for this tour, stage too big, etc. All idiotic arguments, really. I challenge any band to try and find way to do a stadium tour this intimate, with the band members this close to the crowd. It has never happened, and will only ever happen in the future if COPIED by other bands.

I am not a conspiracy theorist, but it just seems like everyone, media, etc is out to whack U2 this time around no matter what. This is what I will believe until someone can give me a better explanation as to why an album like NLOTH is virtually unknown outside the fan base. You never hear anything on the radio. Everyone is trying to promote U2 as a washed up, oversized(just look at that stage) has been like the Stones.

I don't care what the radio says, NLOTH is a great album.

I know I shouldn't derail my own thread, but seriously! It is about time U2 realize that people will criticize them NO MATTER WHAT, and as a result, just do whatever they damn well please. That would include playing songs like LNOE, Drowning Man, THBAO, Hawkmoon, Love is Blindness, Wire and MOFO. I don't care if the "professional reviewer" in the audience can't even write down the setlist because she or he does not know what the hell they are playing.

I couldn't get past this one post. The man speaks the truth. :up:

It was snippeted during the intro to COBL on Boston 2 last week, I don't know if anyone ever confirmed the 'soundcheck' that was reported was any more than just the drum tech playing the beat?

It was just the drum tech. I was 30 feet from the stadium in line for GA during the soundcheck at NJ2 and it was solely drums being played.

Alright, then this thread is just silly, a snippet doesn't constitute evidence for it entering the setlist.

I said that two pages back but nobody listens to sanity here. :rolleyes: Sam soundchecks with Mofo every day.

Yep same in Cardiff, although i have to admit my heart skipped a beat when i heard the drums, but as soon as it become clear that there was no other instruments coming in i knew it was just Sam.

I said that two pages back but nobody listens to sanity here. :rolleyes: Sam soundchecks with Mofo every day.

that's it then, problem solved. can anybody confirm that they've heard anything more than drums in a mofo soundcheck? vocals, guitar?

Anything?????????? :sad:

While wandering through my unicorn garden..........

I BLASTED MOOOOOOOOOOOOOFOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

:applaud:

They say the last unicorn died at 12:24am on March 3rd, 1997 after it heard track 3 from POP

It was just the drum tech. I was 30 feet from the stadium in line for GA during the soundcheck at NJ2 and it was solely drums being played.

:lol: and there it is. EXACTLY the type of thing I was talking about in the setlist thread that night and a few acted like I was nuts. Its amazing how the internet spreads false rumors about stuff like this and it takes on a life of its own. Just like I said in that thread, take it all with a grain of salt.

:lol: and there it is. EXACTLY the type of thing I was talking about in the setlist thread that night and a few acted like I was nuts. Its amazing how the internet spreads false rumors about stuff like this and it takes on a life of its own. Just like I said in that thread, take it all with a grain of salt.

I'm amused how fast this shit spreads though. :lol: Just look at this thread!

:hmm: Now what song should be rumoured for rehearsal next to get the forum to go apeshit?

Back
Top Bottom