Interesting fact about Zooropa album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Stay was great in Berlin, but is missing something without the drums and bass. Especially the drums in Stay, how Larry ends with that simple yet profound crash.

All of the other videos posted from Zoo Sydney are some of the best live performances they have ever done. What would be wrong with a mini set of dirty day-stay-first time or zooropa, lemon, wowy?? This is a great album that kicked major ass live the few times U2 has tried it out.

I would however, settle for just getting a proper version of Stay, with Adam and Larry joining.

Agree with whoever said "Zooropa" live version in 93 was underwhelming. Especially since, to my recollection, they only played the "and I have no compass..." portion. The "Zooropa...Vorsprung durch technik" part is my favorite.

It's a real shame because Zooropa is great. Stay is pretty good acoustically but I prefer the electric version. For me it's not enough for them to do these little acoustic renditions- if they're going to play a Zooropa song they might as well do it properly or not at all. I agree with U2 387- it's not asking much to have a couple of those songs each night- Dirty Day would really rock hard and surprise people but I don't think they have the courage.

It takes courage to play Dirty Day?

COURAGE!

lion.jpg

Yes it does take courage actually- people don't know Dirty Day as well as they know Elevation- it's also a song they haven't done in a while and it's from Zooropa, an album they have largely disowned.

So it's fair to say it's brave to play UF, MLK, Party Girl, Crazy Remix, or Ultraviolet?

more so than sunday bloody sunday, one, with or without you, pride, and beautiful day. sure. frankly, i'd like to see every song i just listed dropped from the set for good. it's a pipe dream, i know.

---

on another note: i can't for the life of me figure out why the wanderer is not either closing the main set or the entire show. in my opinion (yep, just like assholes) it's definitely in their top 20, if not top 10 best songs ever. i thought the version they put together for the johnny cash tribute was excellent (if a little rough around the edges given the circumstances).

more so than sunday bloody sunday, one, with or without you, pride, and beautiful day. sure. frankly, i'd like to see every song i just listed dropped from the set for good. it's a pipe dream, i know.

---

on another note: i can't for the life of me figure out why the wanderer is not either closing the main set or the entire show. in my opinion (yep, just like assholes) it's definitely in their top 20, if not top 10 best songs ever. i thought the version they put together for the johnny cash tribute was excellent (if a little rough around the edges given the circumstances).

I get that, but I think U2 is a somewhat unique position that they have a stadium that is probably majority casual fans, what else are they gonna do? The crowd still goes shit crazy and sings the hell out of WOWY.

Just the other day I was thinking about Wanderer and how it would fit well on this tour...

I think U2 is a somewhat unique position that they have a stadium that is probably majority casual fans, what else are they gonna do?

yeah, that's probably true. i wonder, though, how many people would truly be disappointed if they substituted:

sunday bloody sunday --> new years day
one --> the wanderer or even kite to be honest
with or without you --> bad or 40 or perhaps stay w/ full band
pride --> even better than the real thing or 11 o'clock tick tock :wink:

i don't think those are obscure songs (save the wanderer). even rotating two of these in and two of these out would introduce some fresh songs while not alienating the casual fan. i assume that if a casual fan heard only two of those four in a show (plus streets and beautiful day) they would still be pleased.

i'm going to see a show in the fall and the thought of hearing sbs, pride, one, walk on, with or without you, and vertigo in the same set list is nauseating. at least i will be engaged by the pretty lights. :happy:

but really, let's all take a moment to thank our personal deity that bullet the blue sky may have finally met it's maker. although, at this point i would much prefer it to elevation.

yeah, that's probably true. i wonder, though, how many people would truly be disappointed if they substituted:

sunday bloody sunday --> new years day
one --> the wanderer or even kite to be honest
with or without you --> bad or 40 or perhaps stay w/ full band
pride --> even better than the real thing or 11 o'clock tick tock :wink:

Well when it comes to NYD vs SBS I thought they both got old during ZooTV, although I feel a certain new energy in SBS lately, I could care less for NYD and I'm glad they aren't doing both.

I think as much as WE are tired of One it would be hard to replace, I don't even think Kite is known well enough to do so, though personally I wouldn't mind.

I do think Bad could replace WOWY.

I think you're dreaming about Pride. I think Pride purely exists still on U2's setlist for three reasons: sing along factor, political factor, and the I think my mom even knows this song factor.

Not enough credit is given to the Lemon --> WOWY transition, I agree. Something about it is very stark, two wildly different songs, but it works in that mega stadium setting late in the show...the wind blowing. Its good.

Really?

Didn't he say "Drowning Man" during a promo interview for NLOTH in France,

He also said "Drowning Man" when asked on the Late Late Show in 1987!

Adam said that Lemon is his favourite song in an interview from Fez ...

unless they play the Zooropa songs as 1 block, quite similar to what they did at Zoomerang the song would stick out
and not in a good way either

I do love Zooropa
but the songs can't be used very flexible live

Wish they would play a full band version of Stay rather than doing the Bono-Edge thing. Dirty Day and Lemon were fabulous live in Sydney.

The Wanderer at the Johnny Cash special was great too. I think it would work well as an encore.

I don't see how playing a full band version of Dirty Day would hurt the concert. It's just so much more powerful live. If they think they can play Electrical Storm without killing the vibe, there's no doubt they can play Dirty Day.

I get that, but I think U2 is a somewhat unique position that they have a stadium that is probably majority casual fans, what else are they gonna do? The crowd still goes shit crazy and sings the hell out of WOWY.

Just the other day I was thinking about Wanderer and how it would fit well on this tour...

The Wanderer would fit thematically perfectly into the tour. I would love to see it show up... but that's not going to happen.

Lemon is my ultimate wish, but, against, not gonna happen. I'd just love to see that claw bathed in yellow light for it... And I think it would fit well thematically, too.

Dirty Day and Crashed Car are two of their best ever live songs. I thought that they would have been staples. I also thought Please would stick around for a while. It was epic live.

the wanderer>streets? actually, the entire opening into zoo station from the zoo tv tour is better then opening or segue ever. if that counts as a segue.

Adam said that Lemon is his favourite song in an interview from Fez ...

Oh Really cool I didn't know that,

I know for sure just before the tour started in a french tv interview he said Drowning Man, ah well guess he likes both,

In fairness i don't think anybody could pick just one U2 song to be there favorite, Not even Adam so it seems! :D

Back
Top Bottom