I Miss 1980-1984 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > U2 360° Tour Central - 2009 / 2010 / 2011 Archive > Set Lists & Songs
Click Here to Login

Old 02-15-2010, 12:35 AM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 10:10 PM
I Miss 1980-1984

I always enjoy U2 shows, regardless of the set list. 360, as has been discussed in other threads, gets an enormous amount right in this area: Unforgettable Fire, MLK, Ultraviolet and 7 nightly staples from NLOTH!

That being said, the one glaring oversight, and the biggest complaint I have heard from causal fan friends, is the lack of 1980-84 material. I was born in 1987, so I can not be accused of just wanting to re live my high school years or some War show I attended. I strongly support the inclusion of 7 NLOTH songs.

I just think there are so many overlooked and underrated gems from this time period, and unlike with the 90s material, many casual U2 or even casual music fans know them. Plus, they are for the most part, great, high energy rock songs that are raw and original as opposed to cliche(New York, Elevation, ABOY). This time period was what first got U2 noticed, and I think its high time they pull out the Vertigo set lists, listen to October again, and listen to War and UF track by track.

There is no excuse not to have at least one of the following pairings every night:

The Ocean/11 O Clock Tick Tock
Cry/Electric Co
An Cat Dubh/Into The Heart
Out of Control/Twilight
Surrender/Two Hearts Beat As One
Another Time Another Place/Wire
Gloria/A Day Without Me
October/A Sort of Homecoming
Drowning Man/Bad
Seconds/Wire

And at just 1/3 of shows, give us 40 after MOS.

I know you are not a true fan like us if you have no interest in hearing the new material, but the way I see it in talking to people about 360, alot of the gripes have come from long time fans who were admittedly more familiar with their early stuff. I am sure many will agree with me that anyone who knows anything about this time period in U2's history knows that it stands out for how brilliant it was for such young guys. I can certainly sympathize to some extent with these people who think it utterly absurd that they play Elevation, Vertigo and 4 other songs from ATYCLB over anything I mentioned above. It is almost criminal when you think about it; akin to U2 forgetting entirely what got them noticed.

U2 should not change their MO of promoting the hell out of new material in their shows, but this is arguably their first tour ever that they have not thrown their longest running fans any bones at all. Zoo TV had Bad most of the time, Pop had I Will Follow every night, etc. 360 has the Unforgettable Fire, but that has not satisfied most of the people I talk to, they just say "good start, but how about Seconds....etc"

I would love to hear some of these songs again, and judging by how Boy songs and Gloria went off on Vertigo, so would most of the crowd. If you read Vertigo tour reviews vs 360 reviews, you get alot more older fans who were happy with what was played. I think an older fan going with his 18 yr old son or daughter to Vertigo would have come away feeling like U2 had remembered what got them noticed and mixed that in well with the new material. 360, the same fan probably felt that the songs plus the stage meant that U2 had "lost the plot" especially since this fan had first seen them in a club on the War tour.

This tour is way too 00's focused, whereas previous tours have represented a cross section of U2's career.

Old 02-15-2010, 12:40 AM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

i too was born in 1987. I do not want to see 40 after MOS at any of the 360 shows. MOS is an excellent closer. I saw every closer on the Vertigo tour except for the ones that closed Pacific leg shows (All I want is You, Kite etc) and 40 was the most lackluster of them all. I much preferred when Vertigo x2 closed, or Bad (yes please), or WOWY, Fast Cars and Instant Karma. Regardless, 40 should remain where it is in the 80s and as a snippet.

The problem is with U2 is with every album they release, another album if not two or three is going to be neglected when it comes to the setlists. there is no way to please 100% of the people 100% of the time.

Old 02-15-2010, 12:57 AM   #3
Refugee

Quote:
i too was born in 1987. I do not want to see 40 after MOS at any of the 360 shows. MOS is an excellent closer. I saw every closer on the Vertigo tour except for the ones that closed Pacific leg shows (All I want is You, Kite etc) and 40 was the most lackluster of them all. I much preferred when Vertigo x2 closed, or Bad (yes please), or WOWY, Fast Cars and Instant Karma. Regardless, 40 should remain where it is in the 80s and as a snippet.
I think MOS is an excellent closer as well. It should still be the finale at 2/3 of the shows. Agree to disagree on 40, I think it works very well. I only saw 40 on Vertigo, but I could imagine Bad, Vertigox2 and Instant Karma working extremely well too.

Quote:
The problem is with U2 is with every album they release, another album if not two or three is going to be neglected when it comes to the setlists. there is no way to please 100% of the people 100% of the time.
I agree with you 100%. They have way too big a catalog to please everyone. I do not expect U2 to all of a sudden up their count from 22 per night to 28 or 30 to accommodate everyone.

I guess all I am saying is they would do better to neglect 3 or 4 of the ATYCLB songs they play every night and play a pair from the 80-84 period instead. Just a pair, not all of them. I don't think you and I are too far apart here!

I don't think most people would cry over missing ATYCLB and I think 80-84 material would have a double positive impact of pleasing the old fans and inspiring the younger crowd to look at the back catalog. U2 has always had the dilemma you speak of, but I do not ever remember experiencing or reading about as many pissed off life long fans as I do now.
Old 02-15-2010, 01:14 AM   #4
War Child

Local Time: 02:10 AM
I'd love for them to showcase some October era stuff (Gloria/Brick/I Fall Down, etc...). But at the very least have them play I Will Follow for goodness sakes... really odd for this song to be absent as it's been played on every tour except this one.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:49 AM   #5
Galeonbroad

Local Time: 04:10 AM
To be fair on them, they did recycle a lot from Boy and also Gloria on the last tour.. Wouldn't want them to do the same thing two tours in a row.
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Old 02-16-2010, 04:18 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:10 AM
I also miss the early eighties. Hair syles and fashion were horrible back then, but I was young and pretty. Man I miss my young self.
Old 02-16-2010, 04:22 PM   #7
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:10 PM
I'd love for them not to repeat the Vertigo Tour.

However, Drowning Man would be incredible.
Old 02-16-2010, 04:50 PM   #8
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2387 View Post
U2 should not change their MO of promoting the hell out of new material in their shows, but this is arguably their first tour ever that they have not thrown their longest running fans any bones at all. Zoo TV had Bad most of the time, Pop had I Will Follow every night, etc. 360 has the Unforgettable Fire, but that has not satisfied most of the people I talk to, they just say "good start, but how about Seconds....etc"
I think this says more of the people you talk to then the 'bones' being thrown. Because in that sense The Unforgettable Fire is no different than Bad or IWF. Or actually it is, because this time TUF is a song resurrected (after 19 years), while the other 'bones' were still regulars up to that point (maybe IWF not so much on the Zoo TV tour, but certainly before).

Quote:
This tour is way too 00's focused, whereas previous tours have represented a cross section of U2's career.
No, those tours didn't either. Zoo TV (initially) didn't present anything pre-1984. Popmart neglected the pre-1983 years and also Zooropa, their previous album. Elevation was better in presenting a cross-section (if you overlook the absence of October and the near-absence of Zooropa). Vertigo was light on October, Zooropa and Pop, but had otherwise a good cross-section of the rest. So up to now 360 hasn't been that much too focused compared to previous tours.

Old 02-17-2010, 01:55 AM   #9
Refugee

Quote:
I think this says more of the people you talk to then the 'bones' being thrown. Because in that sense The Unforgettable Fire is no different than Bad or IWF. Or actually it is, because this time TUF is a song resurrected (after 19 years), while the other 'bones' were still regulars up to that point (maybe IWF not so much on the Zoo TV tour, but certainly before).
Fair point. Most of the people I talked to did have unrealistic expectations as to the practicality of U2 playing all of War or Boy when those albums are 27/30 years old. I don't know why TUF does not do it for them, they like it, but I guess it is not as epic or well known as Bad or I Will Follow. My point is not that I agree with these people 100%, it is simply that U2 is playing a 10 year old mediocre by their standards album that does not fit the claw or stadiums to death. This is while songs like the ones I mentioned sit out entirely. All I am saying is that people notice this, and comment on it.

I am just wondering if U2 played a pair of songs from this time period every(or most) show(s), would this cut down on the seemingly large volume of long time fans who just do not get 360? It is natural to get some unhappy people every tour/show, etc, but this tour, more than any other, features the complainers belonging to one group:fans who have been with U2 since 80-84.

Frankly, though they are somewhat uninformed, unrealistic and in some cases, pining for their high school days again, they have a point. No way is Stuck or Elevation anywhere near as good as The Ocean and 11 O'Clock Tick Tock. BD and Walk On are enough to represent ATYCLB hits.

Quote:
No, those tours didn't either. Zoo TV (initially) didn't present anything pre-1984. Popmart neglected the pre-1983 years and also Zooropa, their previous album. Elevation was better in presenting a cross-section (if you overlook the absence of October and the near-absence of Zooropa). Vertigo was light on October, Zooropa and Pop, but had otherwise a good cross-section of the rest. So up to now 360 hasn't been that much too focused compared to previous tours.
Maybe I should have said "some previous tours." Particularly, UF, JT and Lovetown, though it was admittedly much easier back then. Elevation and Vertigo, I have no problem with them leaving or nearly leaving alone some albums, that was bound to happen given the size of the catalog then. My point was both tours, especially Vertigo, picked from every 3 yr period in their career.

I know Zoo presented nothing pre 1984 on leg 1, but it had Bad, which for hard core U2 fans since the 1980s, is all that counts it seems. On a similar note, Pop hit these fans with I Will Follow right out of the gate, and for some reason, that gets them going, apparently unlike TUF. The same group far from cared that Zooropa was not touched.

I am not trying to rebut or argue. It is just I am surprised by the common thread among most people who complain about 360. I am not saying I know exactly why fans feel this way. I will admit to loving this time period in U2's career more than most, though!

I like your points about it not really affecting views of other tours, particularly Zoo and Pop, but it just seems with U2's age now and the fact that they built this massive claw, they are much more susceptible to accusations that they have lost touch. For many people who have been around a while, not getting one of their favorites helps fuel these accusations.
Old 02-17-2010, 02:13 AM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:40 AM
>Axver board.

Oh wait, we're already here.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:27 AM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:10 PM
i would prefer that they really focus on 1993-1997 on the next leg of the tour.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:36 AM   #12
Galeonbroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikal View Post
i would prefer that they really focus on 1993-1997 on the next leg of the tour.
I'd be up for that bigtime!

They've neglected Pop for too long!
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Old 02-17-2010, 10:46 AM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galeongirl View Post
I'd be up for that bigtime!

They've neglected Pop for too long!
it would be cool if they at least did a 2-3 song combo like they did for "Boy" on the Vertigo Tour

examples:

Mofo-HMTMKMKM-YBR

or

Discotheque-Lemon-Gone
Old 02-17-2010, 02:39 PM   #14
Refugee

Quote:
it would be cool if they at least did a 2-3 song combo like they did for "Boy" on the Vertigo Tour

examples:

Mofo-HMTMKMKM-YBR

or

Discotheque-Lemon-Gone
That would be welcome, too. I think there is as close to a consensus as you can get on blue crack that this time period is in dire need of some 360 love.

It just seems that, for some reason or another, U2 is not very confident in this material, as strong as it is. I think they are still very confident in/proud of 80-84 work, so that is why I brought up this time period. It may be more realistic for a comeback.

The 2 sets of 3 you mentioned would no doubt be more appropriate for 360 than early 80s, but I just don't see U2 playing this stuff, especially in light of the commercial sales of Pop and NLOTH. I sound like a broken record, I know, but I am adamant that if they want to focus on songs that have mass appeal, the early 80s are a much better place to look than ATYCLB.

The context I have been thinking about this in is the new material. Given talk of Rubin material possibly surfacing on the next album, there is significant concern that U2 is going right at the middle ground between ATYCLB and Bomb. Both great albums, but by U2 standards? I do not think you will find too many people here who would object to another Boy, War or UF over another "How to Dismantle An Atomic Bomb You Can't Leave Behind"

If they want to go back to writing/performing straight forward rock tunes, then I don't see why U2 autopilot Bomb should be the template over War.
Old 02-17-2010, 07:58 PM   #15
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Quote:

examples:

Mofo-HMTMKMKM-YBR

or

Discotheque-Lemon-Gone
or? how about and!