How do you like Kingdom compared to the other intro songs ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2girl

Blue Crack Addict
U2's used various "walk out" songs on the tours before : the George Bush rap/Bono's wailing on Zoo TV, Popmuzik on Popmart, Elevation remix on Elevation, Arcade Fire's Wake up/"Everyone" (a pre-recorded Gavin Friday, I think) on Vertigo and now Kingdom closely following David Bowie's Space Oddity.

How do they rank for you ?

I gotta say Wake Up was really awesome, but Kingdom really is my favourite. Just the fact that when we first heard it we didn't have a freakin' clue whatever the hell we were listening to!
When you go to a show, most of the stadium actually sings along! That's really cool.

Pop Muzik... well... it's just special. :love: MOFO!

In terms of opening sequences, PopMart's was mind-boggling, and the Zooropa/Zoomerang legs were very close behind. But in terms of the actual intro songs, my favorite are Wake Up and Kingdom. I really do love Arcade Fire, so I should probably wait to hear all of Kingdom before judging between the two.

I gotta say Wake Up was really awesome, but Kingdom really is my favourite. Just the fact that when we first heard it we didn't have a freakin' clue whatever the hell we were listening to!
When you go to a show, most of the stadium actually sings along! That's really cool.

Pop Muzik... well... it's just special. :love: MOFO!

I didn't hear Kingdom on bootlegs before I saw the show so I didn't know which of the pre-show songs it was. Good to know it was the one with the hypnotic "soon......soon.....soon".

I really liked the Vertigo Tour one, EVERYONE EVERRRRY ONNNNNNNNEEEE

Zoo TV Zooropa leg every time in my view. The most brilliant intro to a show in rock music history.

I think the fact that we didn't know what it was, and it's a new U2 track, and is just plain awesome makes Kingdom win. ZooTV and Popmart were also quite awesome.

popmuzik and the elevation remix are 1a and 1b

the rest can fight it out to see where they rank

-dan

I like Kingdom, but Wake Up was my favorite, followed by Influx mix of Elevation and Popmuzik

I like the song, but I think it is far behind the other four tours we are discussing.

1. Pop Muzik
2. Zooropa/Ode To Joy
3. Everyone
4. Influx Remix
5. Kingdom

Zoo TV Zooropa leg every time in my view. The most brilliant intro to a show in rock music history.

what were the differences between the legs on the zoo tv tour? were they not all liek the one on the zoo tv sydney dvd?

ZooTV is untouchable. Pop Muzik--->Mofo is the only thing that comes close. Cool that the band was gutsy enough to use an unreleased song though.

Kingdom isn't bad, but it's aeons away from the sheer awesomeness of Pop Muzik --> Mofo.

what were the differences between the legs on the zoo tv tour? were they not all liek the one on the zoo tv sydney dvd?

On the latter legs of Zoo TV they used a remixed version/sample of Zooropa in the Ode To Joy and Bono stopped singing the "slippin through the cracks" bit. There are probably other differences.

zootv indoor had the AWESOME "slipping through the cracks"intro with Bono and his distorted voice. LOVE this one

zootv outdoor USA had the George Bush rap which was very cool also
zooropa and zoomerand had the intro that you see on the dvd whcih also was fantastic. i like the zootv indoor the most.

kingdom is ver good too, it is just a shame that iti followed by breath which I still feel isnt an introsong

kingdom is ver good too, it is just a shame that iti followed by breath which I still feel isnt an introsong

Yes, I think that's why Kingdom isn't receiving the love that it deserves, because it's followed by an odd choice of song to open the shows. Going back to Zoo TV, after all the pomp and bluster, don't forget that it was followed by Zoo Station - all cavernous drum fills and the jagged guitar, leading into a superb song. Even on the Vertigo tour itself, Arcade Fire followed by either Vertigo (the song), or COBL, was pretty awesome. Similarly, I can't better whoever said that the Popmart opening was 'mind-blowing'.

I think that U2's problem is that their 'purpose written to be a hit single' effort (GOYB), isn't really that good - it's the weakest link on an otherwise consistently high quality album, and I think the band perceive that it wasn't received that well in general. Certainly not as well as Elevation, Vertigo etc. So clearly if they intended GOYB to possibly open the live shows, they then had a rethink, and settled on Breathe instead. Great song, but it just doesn't feel right as a show-opener. But, what else could they use - Crazy Tonight (non-remix)? Magnificent? If they have to use a song from the album, then I really think that NLOTH would be a far better choice. Or, why not be really brave and delve into the back catalogue? They're always going to play Streets, so why not play it where it's best - at the start of the show?

No, they werent. The indoor legs in N. America and Europe Bono came onstage first and did an middle eastern type of chant/jibberish and then they went into Zoo Station.

The Outside Broadcast in N. Americal they did the George Bush rap of "We Will Rock You".

Then the remainder of the tour was what you see on the Sydney DVD.

Yes, I think that's why Kingdom isn't receiving the love that it deserves, because it's followed by an odd choice of song to open the shows. Going back to Zoo TV, after all the pomp and bluster, don't forget that it was followed by Zoo Station - all cavernous drum fills and the jagged guitar, leading into a superb song. Even on the Vertigo tour itself, Arcade Fire followed by either Vertigo (the song), or COBL, was pretty awesome. Similarly, I can't better whoever said that the Popmart opening was 'mind-blowing'.

I think that U2's problem is that their 'purpose written to be a hit single' effort (GOYB), isn't really that good - it's the weakest link on an otherwise consistently high quality album, and I think the band perceive that it wasn't received that well in general. Certainly not as well as Elevation, Vertigo etc. So clearly if they intended GOYB to possibly open the live shows, they then had a rethink, and settled on Breathe instead. Great song, but it just doesn't feel right as a show-opener. But, what else could they use - Crazy Tonight (non-remix)? Magnificent? If they have to use a song from the album, then I really think that NLOTH would be a far better choice. Or, why not be really brave and delve into the back catalogue? They're always going to play Streets, so why not play it where it's best - at the start of the show?

You are so right, it is scary:up:

zootv indoor had the AWESOME "slipping through the cracks"intro with Bono and his distorted voice. LOVE this one

zootv outdoor USA had the George Bush rap which was very cool also
zooropa and zoomerand had the intro that you see on the dvd whcih also was fantastic. i like the zootv indoor the most.

Yeah, the "slipping through the cracks" intro haunted my dreams for several years in the early 90's, as I tried to figure out if it was an actual song, a U2 project/unreleased song, etc. :wink: So, so, SO good.

PopMuzik was also incredible -- the entire stadium would have this Pavlovian response, and work itself into a frenzy once the lights went down.

I like Kingdom a lot. I haven't been to any shows yet so I guess I can't really judge until I see it live. Does anyone have a youtube clip or other link to the studio version of Kingdom? I've only heard little pieces of it, as part of the Breathe / Intro recordings of U2. Thanks!

There hasn't been a full-length copy of Kingdom linked yet. There was a YouTube video claiming to be, but I'm 99% sure it was just the small sections from the "tour preview" sewed together to repeat.

Bowie into Kingdom is awesome when you are there - it doesn't really translate to youtube.. the volume goes REALLY LOUD for Bowie, lights going out, smoke machines etc.. very exciting!

Bowie into Kingdom is awesome when you are there - it doesn't really translate to youtube.. the volume goes REALLY LOUD for Bowie, lights going out, smoke machines etc.. very exciting!
Yes i agree the intro is good but it simply is no Popmart or ZooTV intro. :)

yeah i loved that too... Space Oddity is one of my fave Bowie songs, and i thought Kingdom was a different, perhaps unusual choice, but lovely and extremely joyful and uplifting... i thought it worked nicely... i thought the whole intro was a different kind of opening for U2 - made a nice change from instant high-energy blast-off kind of thing i think... much more subtle and sultry with the beautiful hypnotic drumbeat... kudos to them for doing it a different way...

i can't remember the beginning of my Zoo TV gig so well - came running in late, due to a late train, and just caught Bono on stage on his own singing in gaelic i think...

never saw Popmart but wish i had! (oops still havent got round to seeing the DVD yet *slaps wrist*)

Elevation Influx was heavenly! shivers and static! awesomeness! :heart: oh i don't think any of the ones i've seen come close to this...

I think that U2's problem is that their 'purpose written to be a hit single' effort (GOYB), isn't really that good - it's the weakest link on an otherwise consistently high quality album, and I think the band perceive that it wasn't received that well in general. Certainly not as well as Elevation, Vertigo etc. So clearly if they intended GOYB to possibly open the live shows, they then had a rethink, and settled on Breathe instead.

:up: i totally agree with that bit :D

Back
Top Bottom