How Come Love Is Blindness works as a closer, but MOS doesn't? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > U2 360° Tour Central - 2009 / 2010 / 2011 Archive > Set Lists & Songs
Click Here to Login

Old 07-11-2011, 05:19 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 04:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
I might be the one die-hard U2 fan who didn't love hearing 40 as the closer on the Vertigo tour.
you're not. I saw every closer in North America on that tour (except All I want is You, but that's Hawaii, barely counts as NA ) and 40 wasn't my favorite. Bad obviously was, I enjoyed Vertigox2 more. Also saw With or Without You, Instant Karma and Fast Cars close out shows. Of those, I think 40 was only better than Instant Karma, which was just odd the way that show ended.

I mean, 40 was nice. But the other ones were just way, way better for me.

As for the topic, I didn't see any Zoo TV, I was like, five at the time so that wasn't going to happen. I think Moment of Surrender works well as the closer. People are going to leave stadiums early to beat traffic regardless.

I drove up to Montreal to see both shows there (up to seven 360 shows now), and people were leaving after Walk On, people were leaving during One and during Hold me thrill me, with or without you etc. At stadium shows, people are just going to leave early.

I think in Montreal's case, though, it had to do with 80,000 people being forced to use the metro system - so they probably wanted a head start out towards the subways and not standing an hour in the street trying to just get into the subway station.

Old 07-11-2011, 05:21 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem
I might be the one die-hard U2 fan who didn't love hearing 40 as the closer on the Vertigo tour.

The crowd in DC chanted "how long.." out of the arena & down into the metro (subway). It was awesome.

And now I'll stop repeating myself....I feel like the same discussions have cropped up a few times in the last two weeks.

Old 07-11-2011, 05:22 PM   #18
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 12:02 PM
I prefer to end a show on a pepped-up, fast tempo closer. Vertigo x2 fit the bill, although Bad was definitely right up there (while not a fast tempo, who the hell cares when it's frickin' Bad?).

Also, had the audiences I'd been a part of been more into the sing-along to carry the song after the band had left the stage, I think it would have had a different effect on me. It hardly happened at the shows I went to where 40 was the closer, and if you're not going to have the crowd carry the song after the fact, what's the point of playing 40?

Stupid U2 audiences.
Old 07-11-2011, 05:26 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by popacrobat
I drove up to Montreal to see both shows there (up to seven 360 shows now), and people were leaving after Walk On, people were leaving during One and during Hold me thrill me, with or without you etc. At stadium shows, people are just going to leave early.
I understand it when casual fans who got tickets from their brother-in-law's coworker's nephew leave early, but it always amazes me when more die-hard fans leave early. At the Baltimore show, there were two or three guys in front of us on the outer rail, which meant they'd camped out all day. They also had their own homemade 360 Tour tshirts listing all the shows they'd been to---probably a dozen or more spanning a few continents. And they left after Streets! To each his own, I guess.
Old 07-11-2011, 05:31 PM   #20
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 12:02 PM
They probably had to go get in line for the next show, which was a week away.

Old 07-11-2011, 05:35 PM   #21
45:33

Local Time: 07:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by No spoken words
I've been to 10 360 shows, and was at about 10 Zoo TV shows....and, yeah, neither really worked better than the other. I think a lot of people are ascribing attributes to Love is Blindness that aren't entirely accurate, maybe because they love AB so much or just have good memories associated with the album/song. And that's fine, I'm sure I'm guilty of that as well with certain tunes. It's a nice song, I definitely like it, but it's so very much eclipsed by everything that comes before it.....

The best U2 closer is, was and always will be 40.
Stop spoiling my delusion!!!!!!!!
Old 07-11-2011, 05:36 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
They probably had to go get in line for the next show, which was a week away.

True, true
Old 07-11-2011, 06:51 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Probably because Love Is Blindness was more part of a group encore- I mean, the succession of songs (Desire/Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car, Ultraviolet/LEMON!, With or Without You, Love Is Blindness, Can't Help Falling In Love) works a lot better and gets more caught up in emotion than the sucession of songs in 360 encores (Ultraviolet/HMTMKMKM, With or Without You, Moment of Surrender). Maybe it's because MOS is an average song that follow two great ones (say what you want about WOWY). OR, maybe it's true, Love Is Blindness is just a better song than Moment of Surrender.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:28 PM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:02 PM
I think MOS > LIB, by quite a bit.

and a better closer
Old 07-11-2011, 09:01 PM   #25
War Child

Local Time: 08:02 PM
MOS would work better I think if NLOTH (the album) had actually been incorporated into the production of the tour sort of the way AB was to Zoo TV. It might translate better in an arena rather than a stadium too, IMHO.
Old 07-12-2011, 05:59 AM   #26

I don't agree with that. Achtung is a (loose) concept album. NLOTH is not.
Old 07-12-2011, 06:37 AM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:02 PM
Also perhaps for some in the audience, MOS could be a let down with the set up? As said above, LIB was part of a flowing run of songs, but Bono does the whole get your phones out/milky way thing for MOS, so people might be thinking oh, here's a Big Moment, which surely will include a Big U2 Anthem, and then what the hell is this? Maybe. But I can't really comment. I haven't seen a 360 show, only Glastonbury, and MOS was like a ten tonne lead balloon there. Half the pit was on the move out once it kicked in.
Old 07-12-2011, 06:39 AM   #28

Kite was a phenomenal closer.
Old 07-12-2011, 06:45 AM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:02 PM
Yep. And it worked with the wider punters too. I mean, again, not a very well known song, and one that is already not a hookfestanthemsong, and on top of that they played it in an even more meandering way, and it was absolutely a highlight, and seemingly not just for fans, going by my own anecdotal whatever (at one of those Sydney gigs, my work had a huge block of seats, and about 90% of the office were there, so we were all talking about it the next day - Kite was a clear highlight/talking point.)
Old 07-12-2011, 08:51 AM   #30
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlhere View Post
I think MOS > LIB, by quite a bit.

and a better closer
Love is Blindness to me was the most incredible closing song, along with the falsetto Can't help falling in Love ending!!! I can close my eyes and be back at all those ZOOTV shows when I hear it.

Moment of Surrender is great live but Love Is Blindness took it to a level I don't think we'll ever see matched!!!! Edge's solo in LIB !!! "Let me in THAT sound" again please guys for one more time before I shuffle off!!! Go an ya wil.. ya will"