How can they make Electrical Storm work, live?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

monsieur fly

War Child
Like many on here, I am a big fan of ES and I was delighted to see them try it. Unfortunately, it didn't sound quite right in my view. What was the problem and how do you think the band could make it work, live?

I love ES and I also loved it live, even though I realise it wasn't the best possible version. When I first heard it live in Milan I was totally happy. I think the first half of the song was done pretty decently, the rest .... well not so much. I doubt they'll bring it back because they dropped the song so early on the tour.

Bono needs to stop fucking around, man up and play that guitar instead of wearing it. If Bono plays the proper chords AUDIBLY during the chorus, Edge does the riff and voila. It would work.

I think the problem is Edge's guitar in the pre-chrous. I am aware it is based on the 'alternate' studio version of the song. On radio it does sound hauntingly beautiful but live, it seems to jar. Perhaps he should play the same chords as in the other two, more well-known versions. The more conventional sound would work better in a stadium. And Bono should make more of an attempt to play his guitar.

Yep just play it like it is on the album.

I know this was the pre album version played on the BBC radio if im correct but it's not as good. Nevertheless they were really doing it well and it was improving a lot so i hope it comes back.

Looks like I'm the only one who thought that it sounded perfect live...I didn't see any problems in its performances.

I think the problem is Edge's guitar in the pre-chrous. I am aware it is based on the 'alternate' studio version of the song. On radio it does sound hauntingly beautiful but live, it seems to jar. Perhaps he should play the same chords as in the other two, more well-known versions. The more conventional sound would work better in a stadium. And Bono should make more of an attempt to play his guitar.
Plus, I'm still convinced that Adam is out of key in the beginning of the chorus (maybe not out of key, but he's definitely playing diferent notes in those 2-3 seconds in the beginning of the chorus in comparison with the studio versions) and that's sounds really weird.

A friend of mine asked Bono if they were going to play it again on this tour and he said no.

Looks like I'm the only one who thought that it sounded perfect live...I didn't see any problems in its performances.

Seems like most people expected them to play the William Orbit version live and are dissapointed it's a different one.

I seem to be the only one who prefers the BBC1 version to the other two. Thus I love the live version as it is. Still my only complaint is that Bono's chickening out with his guitar volume. If his volume was raised, he'd be playing the chords in the chorus(which he already does but nobody hears) and it would solve the issue a lot of people have with the chorus. It'd be a best of both worlds thing.

They rehearsed it in Croke Park and it sounded pretty good to me. The only performance that sounded not so good was in Barcelona (but many songs sounded even worse that night).

Come on Bono, if you're reading this (and if not, please go and tell him Edge), please play the song in NorthAmerica, you didn't give us a chance!! :angry:

(And you could give Your blue room to Europe :hyper: )

Back
Top Bottom