How about opening with Stingray->NLOTH ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think it'd be a great idea! However, U2 will never open a show with a song Bono plays guitar on. He's gotta be able to run around, strike poses, do some awkward dancing/jumping, etc.

Although, I don't really think he NEEDS to play guitar on any song... it'd sound the same without him. Compare Walk On Elevation tour, where he played guitar, to the 360 version where he did not... VIRTUALLY NO DIFFERENCE AT ALL!!

that reads more like they've lost their pair over the last 18 months.

:shrug: I still think after Crazy Tonight, the setlist is kinda boring. With a few highlights. HMTMKMKM helps, a lot. But my point is, pre-tour was YBR on anyones shortlist for possible songs to be played on this tour? Possibly. But did anyone actually think that anything from Passengers (bar Miss Sarajevo) would be played live?

Throw in a couple of new songs to road test (when was the last time they did this? ...198X?)

I think they have the pair ....They just don't know how to use 'em properly. :giggle:

:shrug: I still think after Crazy Tonight, the setlist is kinda boring. With a few highlights. HMTMKMKM helps, a lot. But my point is, pre-tour was YBR on anyones shortlist for possible songs to be played on this tour? Possibly. But did anyone actually think that anything from Passengers (bar Miss Sarajevo) would be played live?

Throw in a couple of new songs to road test (when was the last time they did this? ...198X?)

I think they have the pair ....They just don't know how to use 'em properly. :giggle:
i just feel like after what we saw last year (before they started to play it safe with in a little while), there's been a massive regression to playing it completely safe (and imo, boring).

but that's a topic for this thread, not this one.

The biggest issue with the openers so far (Breathe, BD, etc...) is the GAP between Soon/Stingray Guitar and the "first song"...you have Bowie, then presong, then DEAD AIR for what seems like too long.

Should be Bowie>Presong>BOOMRIGHTINTOFIRSTSONG...any song works better like this. Breathe, BD, NLOTH, etc...They are pausing too long after either just coming out (Soon) or barely playing anysong (Stringray)

i just feel like after what we saw last year (before they started to play it safe with in a little while), there's been a massive regression to playing it completely safe (and imo, boring).

but that's a topic for this thread, not this one.

Fair enough. Safe/Boring, whatever you want to call it. Unless you are like Pearl Jam, this is how stadium shows usually work. Thank god its not 1997.

The biggest issue with the openers so far (Breathe, BD, etc...) is the GAP between Soon/Stingray Guitar and the "first song"...you have Bowie, then presong, then DEAD AIR for what seems like too long.

Should be Bowie>Presong>BOOMRIGHTINTOFIRSTSONG...any song works better like this. Breathe, BD, NLOTH, etc...They are pausing too long after either just coming out (Soon) or barely playing anysong (Stringray)

Agreed. I also agree that Stingray-->NLOTH would be killer as an opener, especially because of the massive potential for a true "BOOM" right into the first song. Place would go nuts.

They need to work on the "BOOM" start of NLOTH then if it is going to be a viable opener. Because the current live version does not have the same explosion-of-noise feel as the album version, imo.

damn...Hawkmoon would be such a great opener...fuck...and it would basically be like opening with a new song...which makes it even better

Totally Agree.This has been my point since I heard/saw clips of the opener on YouTube.Space Oddity is great as a signal that the show is going to start.I like Stingray but I'm not a big fan of it being part of an opening intro(I prefer Soon after Space Oddity)but whether you have Soon or Stingray,BD just doesent cut it to me there mainly due to the 25 sec of Dead Air.It kills momentum IMO.Could you Imagine these possible 360 Intros:

SO/Soon/GOYB
SO/Soon/NLOTH
SO/Soon/Magnificent
SO/Stingray/GOYB-Larry beginning drum beat right after Stingray
SO/Stingray/Magnificent-Same as Below
SO/Stingray/NLOTH-With Edge hitting First Chord right after Stingray

Forget all that, just launch right into 11'O Clock Tick Tock, since Edge already has the right guitar for it during Stringray. Bono's little "what time is it in the word?" phrase would go splendidly with it, but since they're ignoring the early days fat chance it'll happen. Fun to dream though...

I was at this bitch.

#braggadocio

I was also there!! I agree that it took major BALLS on the band's part to pull out that song. A slow song that nobody knows, that's never been played live before, in a huge stadium, from an obscure side project that was 14 years old. I of course was in heaven, and to be honest I don't think it sucked the life out of the stadium at all. I think a lot of people really liked it. I don't think they give audiences enough credit... as long as it's a good song, 70,000 people don't mind being treated to something they've never heard before once in awhile.

Now, after all that work and rehearsal they put into learning the song and playing it live, only to dump it after 5 tries or something... THAT's when they lost their balls again.

Back
Top Bottom