Hopes for Leg 4 and Beyond - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > U2 360° Tour Central - 2009 / 2010 / 2011 Archive > Set Lists & Songs
Click Here to Login

Old 10-08-2010, 03:00 AM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 09:11 AM
Hopes for Leg 4 and Beyond

Mods: Feel free to cut down this long wined mess down to something half coherent if need be!

So its that time again!

Is it just me or did Leg 3 fly?(my thoughts on Leg 3 follow below, I've included a line for those who would rather not read my long winded opinion of it!)

What are everyone's hopes for Leg 4?

One Tree Hill and other rarities along those lines resurrected for the Oceania Leg?

Different arrangements of songs they are already playing(slide solo back in MW, album version of Crazy Tonight?)

More new songs debuted?

Time to get rid of any songs?

Anything stand out as in dire need of fixing?

Just some thoughts to spark discussion...... obviously, feel free to add whatever thoughts you want about Leg 4! Any and all thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!

I would like to see them continue what they are doing this leg basically, and I never would have said that at the end of Legs 1 or 2 of 360!!!!! Keep playing new songs, debut a couple more, keep rotating classics like NYD, IWF and Pride in and out, keep rotating songs like UV and MLK, etc.

I think we have a lot to look forward to in the coming weeks and months! As much as I love NLOTH, the album and the legs of the tour that focused on it just didn't work as well as they could have in my opinion! As Bono might say, "I'm ready for what's next!"(and I promise, I still listen to NLOTH front to back at least once per week)

The only thing that really stands out as in dire need of fixing is the ATYCLB overload! Elevation can be dropped, its been played nearly every show since 2001 and its a mediocre by U2 standards song. Walk On has made its point, plus Sui Kyi is being released, so that makes it a good time to drop it for something else. Not a knock on the song, I actually think its top tier U2 or very close to it, but 2 ATYCLB tracks have to go. This for Please or something from JT and Elevation for a new song or something from Pop.

BD and In A Little While are great representatives of ATYCLB 10 years after its release! Plus, IALW, for all the flack it gets here, has the thematic tie in and is actually quite unique as far as U2 songs go. I don't mind it a bit and its never been a nightly staple until now.

Speaking for myself, Leg 3 met and exceeded all of my expectations if we are talking about the overall show.(of course, specific gripes are still there in spots, but as we know, not every person will be pleased 100% of the time!)

I know this is probably a bold statement, but I can't think of any bigger mid tour improvement than what we've witnessed from 2 to 3 in U2's live history!

-The overall energy of the band was way, way up! Bono running around the stage like the Popmart shadow boxer during the 1st performance of "Stingray" in Torino set that tone right from the beginning! However, I think the real story has been The Edge. Myself and others here who have observed him for much longer than I noticed that there was just something missing from his 2009 performances. To me, personally, seeing 2 shows, it almost felt like he was going through the motions and had something else on his mind. I also think he's dropped a few pounds since last year.

Overall, I think Bono's back injury has helped them to put things into perspective and realize that performing is not a given and any show could be their last.

-The return of I Will Follow and Hold Me Thrill Me has certainly helped with the energy level, as has the debut of 6 unreleased songs! We can argue all we want about whether IWF should get played for the 10 billionth time, but what is undeniable is the fact that the Edge's riff sends the crowd, and The Edge himself, into a frenzy. Just look at him jumping around like a kid in the candy store when they 1st played it in Helsinki! Same for the new songs- we can and have discussed their merits, but what is undeniable is the enjoyment they get from playing them.

The additions plus the minor rotation prove that small changes can make a big difference. MOTD and IWF alone give the set 2 things that it was lacking to a shocking extent for the 1st 2 legs: career balance- U2 didn't form in 1983, and JT album tracks. You don't just neglect most of JT, its as much as a masterpiece as AB, which gets mined every tour!

-The opening 5 is much better, though almost all of us would rather Stingray go somewhere other than BD. In 2009, they made the deadly mistake of opening with 4 obscure NLOTH songs that most of the audience didn't know. I think this sapped their energy level, as U2 feed off the crowd. They are not a band who can afford to have only the die hards in the loop until song #5. BD, NYD, IWF...fire people up early! Though I think NLOTH is almost as good as AB, it was obviously nowhere near as well known as AB was during Zoo TV . U2 were smart to recognize that and stop hitting stadium audiences with 4 NLOTH tracks right out of the gate like they did with AB.

-Rotation is back, and for God's sake, snooze fests like UC(great song, but just didn't cut it), acoustic Desire and acoustic Stuck are gone. MOTD and MLK has been a welcome rotation, same for Hold Me and Ultraviolet. Spanish Eyes was more one off geographic acknowledgement than I remember in 2009. I kept hoping for Miss Sarajevo in Zagreb or In God's Country in the Southwest US, Zoo Station in Berlin or Running To Standstill in Dublin, but not happening in 2009!

In summary, I think they kept almost everything that was good about 2009(save for dramatically cutting down performances of TUF and NLOTH) and tossed almost everything that was not so good(little rotation, acoustic Desire/Stuck, 4 NLOTH to open) all the while improving their performances of each song played. Many to a noticeable level- MW, NYD, WOWY and Walk On come immediately to mind!

Old 10-08-2010, 06:39 AM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 11:11 PM
Some of these may be a bit unrealistic but I'll do my best to balance optimism and futility

Keep playing the unreleased stuff, even if its only Stingray and one other track a night. U2, you can play the hits but leave some of the new stuff in for the hardcore crowd too

Play at least one song from Pop. U2, I promise you the whole stadium will not evacuate if you play Discotheque. It didn't happen when you played it on Vertigo those two times, so you've got nothing to worry about. You glorify your past when your future dries up, but you can't continue to ignore an important part of your history as a band.

NLOTH has long ago gone into Leg 5 HTDAAB on Vertigo territory, so it can't get any worse. At least bring the title track back. Maybe UC for a few shows on second nights?

I'd better leave the rarities question unanswered or this post may get quite long

Overall the setlists haven't been too bad lately. Honestly, chuck us a couple of surprises here and there and that would do it for me

Old 10-08-2010, 09:05 AM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2387 View Post
One Tree Hill and other rarities along those lines resurrected for the Oceania Leg?
If they don't play OTH at least once during the Oceania leg, I'll be shocked.
Old 10-08-2010, 12:28 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 08:11 AM
The band seemed to be in really great spirits and energy. I'm really looking forward to next years shows in the US.

-Walk On
-IALW
-MS

need to go for something different. I hope Breathe & NLOTH make a return. Both are great songs live. And of course hearing Lemon, Mofo, Gone, Discotheque or Please would be very welcomed.
Old 10-08-2010, 01:48 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 03:11 PM
Well I am also pretty happy with the setlists of this leg. Of course it could always be better but I'm not even going to a show in the 4 leg so what's my opinion worth really?
I just hope they keep debuting a few unreleased songs.
Old 10-08-2010, 04:19 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

move BD
remove MW, IALW, MissS
bring back NLOTH and TUF
keep BOTH UV and HMTMKMKM
add EBW full band, OLD Mercy, and WINTER
Old 10-08-2010, 04:20 PM   #7
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 06:11 AM
Hope they keep the rotating "new" songs

Another song other than BD as the song after Stingray

More appearances of Bad

BOTH HTTMKMKM and UV in the encore. The encore could stand to be one song longer, and it would be awesome to have both in there.

I'm not even going to hope for the ditching of IALW. I'm just working under the assumption I'll be hearing it for the rest of my U2-fan life.
Old 10-08-2010, 05:07 PM   #8
Galeonbroad

Local Time: 03:11 PM
Hope they FINALLY ditch IALW.
And please guys, please don't bring back Suck.

Oh and someone suggested it in the setlist party:

Stingray > MOFO.
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Old 10-08-2010, 07:43 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 02:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepokiss View Post
move BD
remove MW, IALW, MissS
bring back NLOTH and TUF
keep BOTH UV and HMTMKMKM
add EBW full band, OLD Mercy, and WINTER
This. (maybe a little more, but this would be enough)
Old 10-08-2010, 08:30 PM   #10
Refugee

Drop these ones:
-In A Little While - I do enjoy the song, but being a nightly staple for two legs in a row seems to have gotten the point across. Maybe rotate it into the set a few times, but no more nightly plays.
-Miss Sarajevo - great to have this underrated song back for Leg 3, but they should put a different underrated song in this slot for the next two Legs!
-Walk On - never been a huge fan, but it has grown on me. Saw the guys in Vegas last year and the giant faces of Aang Sang Suu Kyi on the Claw really creeped me out, so I'm glad they dropped that. I just think this song has gotten it's point across as well, time for a new one!
-MLK - barely even a song. Bono only sings the verse once. It did work as a nice segue, but honestly, Mothers of the Disappeared was SO MUCH BETTER!! I know they won't bring that one back as a staple, but MOTD should DEFINITELY be a rotation.

Add these songs:
-The Unforgettable Fire - maybe find a different slot for it though, rather than before COBL. I was thinking maybe sometime after Sunday Bloody Sunday? Like in Walk On's current slot.
-DISCOTHEQUE - DEAR GOD DO I HAVE TO EXPLAIN THIS ONE ANYMORE PEOPLE HAVE BEEN REQUESTING THIS FOREVER, JUST BRING IT BACK IN FULL ALREADY GODDAMMIT
-All I Want Is You - an amazing live song, this needs to be played. The snippet during Bad in Rome was so excellent, it actually brought tears to my eyes
-Please or Running To Stand Still - I think either one of these needs to be brought back, I'd be happy with either one, they're both such powerful songs.

Keep in rotation:
-New Year's Day
-I Will Follow
-Pride (In The Name of Love)
-Glastonbury
-North Star (full band)*
-Every Breaking Wave (full band)*
-MERCY
-Boy Falls From The Sky (doubtful we'll see this one a lot, but still.)
-Angel of Harlem
-BAD! Needs to be played more! I personally think it would be amazing played right after Streets.
-Mysterious Ways - I know they didn't rotate it in and out, but I think they should switch it nightly with Even Better Than The Real Thing
*Fairly certain we will see these on the upcoming legs as the band will have some nice long breaks to perfect them!

For the two surprise slots after Still Haven't Found, they should have one slot - the first one - be for new and unreleased songs. The second slot should be for tour/live debuts and rarities. They should switch this song nightly, so that each show gets a special song just for them

Encore(s):
I do think the encores should stay relatively the same, I think they are quite powerful and moving encores and Moment of Surrender is doing great as a closer. Here is my preferred and realistic encore:
---ENCORE BREAK---
-One/Hear Us Coming (snippet)
-Rain (snippet)/Where The Streets Have No Name
-Bad/All I Want Is You (snippet)
---ENCORE BREAK---
-Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me
-Ultraviolet (Light My Way)
-With or Without You/Shine Like Stars (snippet)
-Moment of Surrender/"40" (snippet)

That's my hopes for the rest of the tour!!!!
Old 10-08-2010, 08:51 PM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

Alright, what a leg.

- In A Little While has to stop being a staple. Dont mind it being in rotation, just has to go.
- Miss Sarajevo was just for Europe in my opinion, so that might be out.
- Hopefully Beautiful Day can move farther in the setlist.
- Space Oddity > Soon > (lights off) Stingray Guitar
- Continue rotation of New Year's Day / I Will Follow
- Both Ultraviolet + HMTMKMKM in the encore (highly prefer UV though)
- MOST IMPORTANT - Bring back The Unforgettable Fire

That's all.
Old 10-08-2010, 08:53 PM   #12
Refugee

Local Time: 01:11 PM
Well since they canceled the US legs due to the back injury, I'd like to imagine they'd make it up to us with some new material or older songs...

Maybe Electrical Storm? Trying to Throw Your Arms Around the World?
Old 10-08-2010, 08:54 PM   #13
War Child

Local Time: 08:11 AM
Open with Soon and Magnificent
Move BD to after Boots and MW.
Remove IALW and bring back Your Blue Room
Replace Elevation with Even Better than the Real Thing
Replace Walk On with Bad every night
Bring back TUF
Bring back NLOTH
Bring back Breathe
Put full Discotheque after Crazy Tonite
Rotate HMTM with MOFO
Old 10-08-2010, 09:59 PM   #14
Refugee

^^I actually agree with everything you said^^
Except I would swap Your Blue Room with Tryin To Throw Your Arms Around the World or Stay
Old 10-08-2010, 11:55 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoo360 View Post
Open with Soon and Magnificent
Move BD to after Boots and MW.
Remove IALW and bring back Your Blue Room
Replace Elevation with Even Better than the Real Thing
Replace Walk On with Bad every night
Bring back TUF
Bring back NLOTH
Bring back Breathe
Put full Discotheque after Crazy Tonite
Rotate HMTM with MOFO
Stingray could fit nicely between Soon and Magnificent. Otherwise, I agree with every word of this post.