Hopes for Leg 4 and Beyond

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2387

Refugee
Mods: Feel free to cut down this long wined mess down to something half coherent if need be!

So its that time again!

Is it just me or did Leg 3 fly?(my thoughts on Leg 3 follow below, I've included a line for those who would rather not read my long winded opinion of it!:lol:)

What are everyone's hopes for Leg 4?

One Tree Hill and other rarities along those lines resurrected for the Oceania Leg?

Different arrangements of songs they are already playing(slide solo back in MW, album version of Crazy Tonight?)

More new songs debuted?

Time to get rid of any songs?

Anything stand out as in dire need of fixing?

Just some thoughts to spark discussion...... obviously, feel free to add whatever thoughts you want about Leg 4! Any and all thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!

I would like to see them continue what they are doing this leg basically, and I never would have said that at the end of Legs 1 or 2 of 360!!!!! Keep playing new songs, debut a couple more, keep rotating classics like NYD, IWF and Pride in and out, keep rotating songs like UV and MLK, etc.

I think we have a lot to look forward to in the coming weeks and months! As much as I love NLOTH, the album and the legs of the tour that focused on it just didn't work as well as they could have in my opinion! As Bono might say, "I'm ready for what's next!"(and I promise, I still listen to NLOTH front to back at least once per week)

The only thing that really stands out as in dire need of fixing is the ATYCLB overload! Elevation can be dropped, its been played nearly every show since 2001 and its a mediocre by U2 standards song. Walk On has made its point, plus Sui Kyi is being released, so that makes it a good time to drop it for something else. Not a knock on the song, I actually think its top tier U2 or very close to it, but 2 ATYCLB tracks have to go. This for Please or something from JT and Elevation for a new song or something from Pop.

BD and In A Little While are great representatives of ATYCLB 10 years after its release! Plus, IALW, for all the flack it gets here, has the thematic tie in and is actually quite unique as far as U2 songs go. I don't mind it a bit and its never been a nightly staple until now.

Speaking for myself, Leg 3 met and exceeded all of my expectations if we are talking about the overall show.(of course, specific gripes are still there in spots, but as we know, not every person will be pleased 100% of the time!)

I know this is probably a bold statement, but I can't think of any bigger mid tour improvement than what we've witnessed from 2 to 3 in U2's live history!

-The overall energy of the band was way, way up! Bono running around the stage like the Popmart shadow boxer during the 1st performance of "Stingray" in Torino set that tone right from the beginning! However, I think the real story has been The Edge. Myself and others here who have observed him for much longer than I noticed that there was just something missing from his 2009 performances. To me, personally, seeing 2 shows, it almost felt like he was going through the motions and had something else on his mind. I also think he's dropped a few pounds since last year.

Overall, I think Bono's back injury has helped them to put things into perspective and realize that performing is not a given and any show could be their last.

-The return of I Will Follow and Hold Me Thrill Me has certainly helped with the energy level, as has the debut of 6 unreleased songs! We can argue all we want about whether IWF should get played for the 10 billionth time, but what is undeniable is the fact that the Edge's riff sends the crowd, and The Edge himself, into a frenzy. Just look at him jumping around like a kid in the candy store when they 1st played it in Helsinki! Same for the new songs- we can and have discussed their merits, but what is undeniable is the enjoyment they get from playing them.

The additions plus the minor rotation prove that small changes can make a big difference. MOTD and IWF alone give the set 2 things that it was lacking to a shocking extent for the 1st 2 legs: career balance- U2 didn't form in 1983, and JT album tracks. You don't just neglect most of JT, its as much as a masterpiece as AB, which gets mined every tour!

-The opening 5 is much better, though almost all of us would rather Stingray go somewhere other than BD. In 2009, they made the deadly mistake of opening with 4 obscure NLOTH songs that most of the audience didn't know. I think this sapped their energy level, as U2 feed off the crowd. They are not a band who can afford to have only the die hards in the loop until song #5. BD, NYD, IWF...fire people up early! Though I think NLOTH is almost as good as AB, it was obviously nowhere near as well known as AB was during Zoo TV . U2 were smart to recognize that and stop hitting stadium audiences with 4 NLOTH tracks right out of the gate like they did with AB.

-Rotation is back, and for God's sake, snooze fests like UC(great song, but just didn't cut it), acoustic Desire and acoustic Stuck are gone. MOTD and MLK has been a welcome rotation, same for Hold Me and Ultraviolet. Spanish Eyes was more one off geographic acknowledgement than I remember in 2009. I kept hoping for Miss Sarajevo in Zagreb or In God's Country in the Southwest US, Zoo Station in Berlin or Running To Standstill in Dublin, but not happening in 2009!

In summary, I think they kept almost everything that was good about 2009(save for dramatically cutting down performances of TUF and NLOTH) and tossed almost everything that was not so good(little rotation, acoustic Desire/Stuck, 4 NLOTH to open) all the while improving their performances of each song played. Many to a noticeable level- MW, NYD, WOWY and Walk On come immediately to mind!

Some of these may be a bit unrealistic but I'll do my best to balance optimism and futility ;)

Keep playing the unreleased stuff, even if its only Stingray and one other track a night. U2, you can play the hits but leave some of the new stuff in for the hardcore crowd too :)

Play at least one song from Pop. U2, I promise you the whole stadium will not evacuate if you play Discotheque. It didn't happen when you played it on Vertigo those two times, so you've got nothing to worry about. You glorify your past when your future dries up, but you can't continue to ignore an important part of your history as a band.

NLOTH has long ago gone into Leg 5 HTDAAB on Vertigo territory, so it can't get any worse. At least bring the title track back. Maybe UC for a few shows on second nights?

I'd better leave the rarities question unanswered or this post may get quite long :lol:

Overall the setlists haven't been too bad lately. Honestly, chuck us a couple of surprises here and there and that would do it for me :)

The band seemed to be in really great spirits and energy. I'm really looking forward to next years shows in the US.

-Walk On
-IALW
-MS

need to go for something different. I hope Breathe & NLOTH make a return. Both are great songs live. And of course hearing Lemon, Mofo, Gone, Discotheque or Please would be very welcomed.

Well I am also pretty happy with the setlists of this leg. Of course it could always be better but I'm not even going to a show in the 4 leg so what's my opinion worth really?
I just hope they keep debuting a few unreleased songs.

move BD
remove MW, IALW, MissS
bring back NLOTH and TUF
keep BOTH UV and HMTMKMKM
add EBW full band, OLD Mercy, and WINTER

Hope they keep the rotating "new" songs

Another song other than BD as the song after Stingray

More appearances of Bad

BOTH HTTMKMKM and UV in the encore. The encore could stand to be one song longer, and it would be awesome to have both in there.

I'm not even going to hope for the ditching of IALW. I'm just working under the assumption I'll be hearing it for the rest of my U2-fan life. :wink:

Hope they FINALLY ditch IALW.
And please guys, please don't bring back Suck.

Oh and someone suggested it in the setlist party:

Stingray > MOFO.

Drop these ones:
-In A Little While - I do enjoy the song, but being a nightly staple for two legs in a row seems to have gotten the point across. Maybe rotate it into the set a few times, but no more nightly plays.
-Miss Sarajevo - great to have this underrated song back for Leg 3, but they should put a different underrated song in this slot for the next two Legs!
-Walk On - never been a huge fan, but it has grown on me. Saw the guys in Vegas last year and the giant faces of Aang Sang Suu Kyi on the Claw really creeped me out, so I'm glad they dropped that. I just think this song has gotten it's point across as well, time for a new one!
-MLK - barely even a song. Bono only sings the verse once. It did work as a nice segue, but honestly, Mothers of the Disappeared was SO MUCH BETTER!! I know they won't bring that one back as a staple, but MOTD should DEFINITELY be a rotation.

Add these songs:
-The Unforgettable Fire - maybe find a different slot for it though, rather than before COBL. I was thinking maybe sometime after Sunday Bloody Sunday? Like in Walk On's current slot.
-DISCOTHEQUE - DEAR GOD DO I HAVE TO EXPLAIN THIS ONE ANYMORE PEOPLE HAVE BEEN REQUESTING THIS FOREVER, JUST BRING IT BACK IN FULL ALREADY GODDAMMIT
-All I Want Is You - an amazing live song, this needs to be played. The snippet during Bad in Rome was so excellent, it actually brought tears to my eyes :)
-Please or Running To Stand Still - I think either one of these needs to be brought back, I'd be happy with either one, they're both such powerful songs.

Keep in rotation:
-New Year's Day
-I Will Follow
-Pride (In The Name of Love)
-Glastonbury
-North Star (full band)*
-Every Breaking Wave (full band)*
-MERCY
-Boy Falls From The Sky (doubtful we'll see this one a lot, but still.)
-Angel of Harlem
-BAD! Needs to be played more! I personally think it would be amazing played right after Streets.
-Mysterious Ways - I know they didn't rotate it in and out, but I think they should switch it nightly with Even Better Than The Real Thing
*Fairly certain we will see these on the upcoming legs as the band will have some nice long breaks to perfect them!

For the two surprise slots after Still Haven't Found, they should have one slot - the first one - be for new and unreleased songs. The second slot should be for tour/live debuts and rarities. They should switch this song nightly, so that each show gets a special song just for them :D

Encore(s):
I do think the encores should stay relatively the same, I think they are quite powerful and moving encores and Moment of Surrender is doing great as a closer. Here is my preferred and realistic encore:
---ENCORE BREAK---
-One/Hear Us Coming (snippet)
-Rain (snippet)/Where The Streets Have No Name
-Bad/All I Want Is You (snippet)
---ENCORE BREAK---
-Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me
-Ultraviolet (Light My Way)
-With or Without You/Shine Like Stars (snippet)
-Moment of Surrender/"40" (snippet)

:drool: :drool:

That's my hopes for the rest of the tour!!!!

Alright, what a leg.

- In A Little While has to stop being a staple. Dont mind it being in rotation, just has to go.
- Miss Sarajevo was just for Europe in my opinion, so that might be out.
- Hopefully Beautiful Day can move farther in the setlist.
- Space Oddity > Soon > (lights off) Stingray Guitar
- Continue rotation of New Year's Day / I Will Follow
- Both Ultraviolet + HMTMKMKM in the encore (highly prefer UV though)
- MOST IMPORTANT - Bring back The Unforgettable Fire

That's all. :up:

Well since they canceled the US legs due to the back injury, I'd like to imagine they'd make it up to us with some new material or older songs...

Maybe Electrical Storm? Trying to Throw Your Arms Around the World?

Open with Soon and Magnificent
Move BD to after Boots and MW.
Remove IALW and bring back Your Blue Room
Replace Elevation with Even Better than the Real Thing
Replace Walk On with Bad every night
Bring back TUF
Bring back NLOTH
Bring back Breathe
Put full Discotheque after Crazy Tonite
Rotate HMTM with MOFO

^^I actually agree with everything you said^^
Except I would swap Your Blue Room with Tryin To Throw Your Arms Around the World or Stay

Open with Soon and Magnificent
Move BD to after Boots and MW.
Remove IALW and bring back Your Blue Room
Replace Elevation with Even Better than the Real Thing
Replace Walk On with Bad every night
Bring back TUF
Bring back NLOTH
Bring back Breathe
Put full Discotheque after Crazy Tonite
Rotate HMTM with MOFO
Stingray could fit nicely between Soon and Magnificent. Otherwise, I agree with every word of this post.

^^I actually agree with everything you said^^
Except I would swap Your Blue Room with Tryin To Throw Your Arms Around the World or Stay

Definitely agree with what you and Zoo 360 said:up:

As for what you said, I would really love to see full band Stay again, and I am really wondering where the hell they buried Trying To Throw Your Arms Around The World after they seemed ready to play it this leg!

Well thought out posts, everyone!

The thing I think to focus on is this: the set doesn't look all that different from 2009 as far as structure goes, yet still, a lot of tour debuts and even live debuts have been done! This proves that U2 doesn't need to be Springsteen or Pearl Jam to have interesting set lists, they just need to stick to their tried and true rotation and changing of a few songs by tour leg.

If the same amount of changes take place between 3 and 4 as did between 2 and 3, then we are in for another nice, solid batch of resurrected classics, new songs ,rarities, etc!

That is certainly something to look forward to!

My hopes for the fourth leg include:

1. Bring back The Unforgettable Fire. It hasn't been played in Oceania since 1989, and even then, it wasn't done at that many gigs. Any U2 concertgoer in Oceania under the age of about 35 or 40 hasn't heard it live or had the chance to hear it (assuming they don't fly overseas). Miss Sarajevo, which usurped it, was played here last time. It's time for TUF.

2. Burn IALW and never bring it back. This won't happen though. U2 probably still have the mentality that they "owe" us some ATYCLB for missing us on the Elevation Tour. No, U2, I think we can cope if you just do BD, Walk On, and if you must, Elevation.

3. For the love of god, keep the unreleased songs. And let's hear EBW and NS full band!

4. Fix the opening. Stingray/BD is awkward. Even just Stingray/IWF/BD would be better.

5. Fix the encore. WOWY may be sounding a bit better this year than last year, but god, it's a shadow of its former glory. Time to go.

6. What kind of sucks is that by the time most U2 tours get to Oceania, a good deal of the songs from the latest album have been dropped. Vertigo is the most glaring example: most shows had 4 HTDAAB songs (two had 5, one had 3). Some NLOTH songs down here would be nice, i.e. more than the third leg's average of just four per gig (or have four per gig, but rotate them from a larger pool of NLOTH selections). Even just bringing back the title track, which could sound really cool after Stingray, say Stingray/NLOTH/IWF/BD.

7. Since RAH is U2's best-selling album in Australia, it's safe to say RAH will get more consistent representation than in Europe. We got Desire and AOH on Vertigo; how about AIWIY this time? I've hope this will happen after the snippet in Bad in Rome. Preferably, replace either ISHFWILF or WOWY with it.

8. ONE TREE HILL.

-DISCOTHEQUE - DEAR GOD DO I HAVE TO EXPLAIN THIS ONE ANYMORE PEOPLE HAVE BEEN REQUESTING THIS FOREVER, JUST BRING IT BACK IN FULL ALREADY GODDAMMIT

I've really been getting into this one lately and I echo these sentiments wholeheartedly :hyper:

- Bring back Soon. And more NLOTH songs (UC can stay on the bench). Preferrably open the show with a song from your latest album ?

- Keep dropping slow/acoustic songs (it works without Stuck, now Miss Sarajevo can do the same), or do a proper acoustic set.

- Fix the show flow. The part before UF(why was this dropped?)-COBL still doesn't fly.

My only wish is to replace the entire IALW bit. It's tiring already. Actually it's been tiring for me since Barcelona. My only worry is that they'll replace it with Stuck. :yikes:

Remove all ATYCLB songs except for Beautiful Day. Maybe keep Elevation if you have to, but only because it really gets the crowd going :hyper:

But other than that, no other ATYCLB songs. Unless it's Kite. And they play it just as well as they did during its few appearances on the Vertigo tour.

Remove all ATYCLB songs except for Beautiful Day. Maybe keep Elevation if you have to, but only because it really gets the crowd going :hyper:

But other than that, no other ATYCLB songs. Unless it's Kite. And they play it just as well as they did during its few appearances on the Vertigo tour.
Perhaps they could replace Walk On with Kite? :drool::drool::drool:

They could replace Walk On with anything and I'll be happy. Man, I'm sick of that song. They could replace it with Wild Honey and I'd be overjoyed.

They could replace Walk On with anything and I'll be happy. Man, I'm sick of that song. They could replace it with Wild Honey and I'd be overjoyed.
"Alright, we'd like to dedicate this next number to Aung San Suu Kyi: IN THE DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYS, WHEN WE WERE SWINGING THROUGH THE TREES.."

I've really been getting into this one lately and I echo these sentiments wholeheartedly :hyper:

it's a good track but they just can't play it live.

And the reason why Elevation and Beautiful Day get played is because they are ideal stadium rock songs- they were massive hits round the world, and everyone knows them and they always get the crowd going. Same with WOWY, ISHWILF- and in the future COBL and Vertigo

people here tend to forget that these shows are aimed at hitting the widest possible target- not the hardcore fanbase- they're catered for with the odd new song and stuff like Ultraviolet, HMKMKM

They've debuted a bunch of brand new songs on this tour, swapped around a few others, dropped out Pride (most shows), TUF (sadly), played MOTD a few times, re-introduced Bad on occasion, Angel of Harlem, bought back Miss Sarajevo

what more do people really expect them to do?? stand up and play a bunch of obscure album tracks from the lesser albums like Pop and October?? Great for the beer sales but not much for stadium show atmosphere

I've been lucky enough to see the show multiple times and the set list has always worked fine for me- yeah there are some things I'd like to hear, but I know that whilst I would go loopy for Love is Blindness, I know that 95% of the crowd won't even know it- and that's who they're playing to

I think the setlist is good, but a few changes would be nice:

- More variation between shows, meaning more rotations. The UV/HMTMKMKM slot (first song of the second encore) can contain even more songs. Why not put The Fly, Zoo Station, Discotheque or Gone there as well? Not all of them, but one or two wouldn't hurt. For people who already know a lot about the setlist before going to their show it's nice to have a slot with a lot of options so that you don't know what will be played. It would also remove a lot of the setlist bitching around here, I reckon. :wink:

- EBTTRT in together with IWF and NYD. EBTTRT rocks, and the third slot after BD clearly is meant to rock and get people off their feet so it would be great to hear it on a couple of shows in this spot of the show. AB needs more love.

- Rotate UTEOTW with NLOTH. Of course, a little too much love for AB isn't good either. So on shows where EBTTRT is played and/or a AB-song is played in the second encore as I mentioned earlier NLOTH can be played instead of UTEOTW. It's all about variation people (and because I love NLOTH :cute::up:).

- Switch out MLK and Walk On for Bad or MLK/Running To Stand Still (Bad is a longer song so if that is played, MLK won't be played and if RTSS is played MLK will be included). Walk On has served its purpose IMO. I've heard that Aung San Suu Kyi will finally be released soon, so the message of the song this tour sort of disappears. Therefore I think it makes sense that the song leaves the setlist as well.

Pretty sure they'll drop Walk On for the rest of the tour. They've gotten their message across for three legs now - which means it will most likely be gone!

I do think Until The End Of The World needs to be played nightly. That was one of the highlights of the show for me. Mysterious Ways is awesome too, but I think they should try to throw a little more Achtung Baby into the setlist. Maybe rotate The Fly or Even Better Than The Real Thing in the slot that Mysterious Ways is? Have sort of an AB slot where nightly they rotate MW, The Fly, and EBTTRT?

Also, I do think Tryin' To Throw Your Arms Around The World deserves a tour debut. Hasn't been played live in forever and it should be brought back!!

And--as much as it pains me to say it--I've accepted the fact that we probably won't see any POP songs on 360. I've come to the conclusion that the closest we got to that was the excellent Discotheque snippet in Crazy Tonight.

Pretty sure they'll drop Walk On for the rest of the tour. They've gotten their message across for three legs now - which means it will most likely be gone!

That's what we thought after leg two. :sad:

And--as much as it pains me to say it--I've accepted the fact that we probably won't see any POP songs on 360. I've come to the conclusion that the closest we got to that was the excellent Discotheque snippet in Crazy Tonight.

Don't give up hope yet. We still have 3 (?) legs left. They brought back HMTMKMKM you never know what might happen. :drool:

But yeah if they don't at least we got a great PopMart song (Batman) and the Disco snip.

-Get rid of Miss S
-Play the other new songs again, not just Snoreth Star
-Streets is mandatory for the rest of the tour (and career)

That's about it :D

Back
Top Bottom