Hey! MW is sounding pretty good!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dunno if you've seen the show yet, but Unknown Caller was bar-none the new song that worked best live, and after seeing it live, I'm convinced that in time, this will be regarded as one of the top three greatest Edge solos ever.

I have not held back in the criticism of this song on these forums, but I have to say... this one REALLY worked for me at the Paris show (I was there!)

I don't agree with the solo bit though... I think it's very mediocre.

The ZOOTV mysterious ways is probably my favourite live performance from U2, and any subsequent form it has taken has always been a diassapointment for me.

I absolutely LOVED the concert. The stage is awesome, and the entire experience of the show is unbelievable - especially COBL and UV. However, I do feel that musically and vocally it was a bit of a let down in comparison to their older tours.

I also was a little underwhelmed with the entrance. Practical daylight may have had a major part to play in this, but it's a far cry from the unbelievable energy of the show starters that ZOOTV and POPMART had.

Please don't take this as a negative post about 360 - I had a FANTASTIC time, and that claw is something that HAS to be seen. My missus - wh ois NOT a U2 fan REALLY enjoyed the concert. "That'll take some beating!" were her words.

cant imagine MW without that great edge solo. its the reason why i love it so much live and want them to play it.

but its a kickass song...the clips here still sound good.

but yup, I'd vote for the solo :up:

Why no slide solo at the end of Mysterious Ways?

That's the only thing I've been disappointed by on this tour (well apart from the non segregation of the toilets as I mentioned before ;) ) - why are they leaving this out? It's in my view one of the most incredible pieces of guitar, EVER. Did they mention it at all or is it just a way of shortening it to fit in more songs?

Could it possibly be that since there's hardly any slide guitar on the new album, Edge hasn't brought it with him? Although that doesn't make much scnes because it's definitely used for Magnificent...

He's using slide on Mag, COBL, and MOS, so I doubt that's an issue. No, they haven't said anything - maybe Edge is too busy contemplating his impending destruction of the city of Malibu to remember to do that solo.

He's using slide on Mag, COBL, and MOS, so I doubt that's an issue. No, they haven't said anything - maybe Edge is too busy contemplating his impending destruction of the city of Malibu to remember to do that solo.

:lol: :lol:

To solo on MW would take away from Edge's 'epic' work on Unknown Caller. However, despite the hype from within the band and their circle, this does nothing for me. It starts out OK but then seems to meander to an indefinite conclusion - a solo apparently just for the sake of it is a distinctly un-Edge like thing to do! It's as if someone said 'You know, this song could really do with a minute long guitar solo at the end, what do you think?' I'm sure plenty will disagree, but UC's solo is bettered by plenty of other guitar work on the NLOTH album - especially MOS and Magnificent, which are verging on David Gilmour-esque in terms of quality, with their liquid slide guitar majesties.

Which leads me back to MW. As played Zoo TV or Popmart-style, what can I say that hasn't already been said? Fortunately, someone has invented an emoticon that does ther job for me - :drool: Don't get me wrong, I thought it sounded great in Dublin, and it's one of U2's few genuinely funky and danceable songs, but when I think back to how it's been performed in the past, then the current version is merely 'very good' when it could be stupendous.

True, but those slide solos are actually completely different from MW in terms of equipment. In the songs you stated he uses a small slide, the size of a phalanx. The slide used for MW was a big one, since he uses more strings on that song. That may be the problem.

There are three disappointing elements about the current version

1) No extended intro. There's no need for a Zoo-TV style prelude but I thought the Elevation intro sounded suitably oriental.

2) No slide solo- U2 are not known for deviating from the studio versions of their songs (unless they play it acoustically) so I always appreciated Edge's solo which brought out the mystery of the song beautifully.

3) Larry's drumming. I'm no expert but he seems to be playing a very drab beat- the funk seems to have disappeared. Would anyone more qualified agree?

The second solo may be missing but it was the best of the older songs at the show.

There are three disappointing elements about the current version

1) No extended intro. There's no need for a Zoo-TV style prelude but I thought the Elevation intro sounded suitably oriental.

2) No slide solo- U2 are not known for deviating from the studio versions of their songs (unless they play it acoustically) so I always appreciated Edge's solo which brought out the mystery of the song beautifully.

3) Larry's drumming. I'm no expert but he seems to be playing a very drab beat- the funk seems to have disappeared. Would anyone more qualified agree?

1) Agree

2) Agree

3) Agree

Whilst I was chuffed they pulled this one out of the hat on Friday night, it was almost bittersweet just because you know it could be SOOOO much better if they just amended the 3 points above.

proof that even edge gets sick of playing the same shit all the time, after years of playing that song myself, i am sick of the solo too

but i still demand it live!

and bump for this gem of comedy

"He's using slide on Mag, COBL, and MOS, so I doubt that's an issue. No, they haven't said anything - maybe Edge is too busy contemplating his impending destruction of the city of Malibu to remember to do that solo."

Back
Top Bottom