Hallelujah Talk About an ENCORE...drool (Spoiler)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's about time.

Chuck Breathe in there before HMTMKMKM and you've got yourself a party.

(Or a stew, whatever.)

Yeah.

Just throwing this out there as an angle to possibly look at this thing, because I know a few here are maybe a bit disappointed/perplexed with the current sets:

If someone had told you, say, a couple months or so after NLOTH came out, that an eventual encore on the 360 tour would be fucking Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me followed by fucking Ultraviolet (Light My Way) followed by With Or Without You followed by Moment of Surrender...what would have been your reaction?

I know I would have said "Slap my ass, call me Sally, and buy me some tickets to that tour!"

Of course, it's completely hypothetical and there's no way you could know exactly what your reaction would have been. But, for those that are saddened by the set lists (and I'm not saying there's anything wrong with being disappointed or voicing that disappointment), maybe try and go back in your mind and recall what your initial reaction was when you first heard that they debuted Ultraviolet on the 360 tour? And try and go back and remember what your initial reaction was, just a couple weeks ago, when you heard they were bringing back HMTMKMKM? Maybe, if you find yourself feeling down about the sets, try and zen yourself back to that moment, that happy moment. That moment of "No shit!?! They're playing that! Fuck Yeah!!!"

I mean those are, in my opinion, straight up two of their best 90s songs, two songs that not many (if any) would have foreseen being resurrected, and they're being played while THE VOX! rolls around in a fucking neon red glowing suit of lights. It's bat(man)shit insane and it's really cool.

I think maybe some, myself included, just follow these guys and their tour a bit too closely from our desk chairs, and it becomes easy to forget just how great it is that they're doing shit like playing Hold Me, Thrill Me and Ultraviolet. (With a talking Zooropa baby)! I mean that's some shit that a bunch of U2 fans would have written on their damn dream set list. When you see it and read it night after night it might lose some of its luster, but it shouldn't! Also, a month or two after NLOTH came out, I didn't even think they were going to attempt to play Moment of Surrender live. I thought it was going to be one of those special studio songs that they don't even try to touch live...but here we are and they've busted it out every night on the tour.

I don't know. I'm rambling, and am not 100% sober, and I may be over thinking things.

Again, not trying to talk down down or preach, and everybody has every right to think what they want about the sets. I'm just saying maybe step back for a minute? I know it's just a rock and roll set list and you're probably not actually letting any of it get to you deep down. We all know there are infinitely more important things in life than U2 sets. I just felt like typing it out. I love you all.

And this probably isn't even the right thread for this huge dumb post, sorry OP.

Eh, every thread turns into a setlist topic anyway these days.

I like the cut of your jib, Gaf. :up:

Yeah.

Just throwing this out there as an angle to possibly look at this thing, because I know a few here are maybe a bit disappointed/perplexed with the current sets:

If someone had told you, say, a couple months or so after NLOTH came out, that an eventual encore on the 360 tour would be fucking Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me followed by fucking Ultraviolet (Light My Way) followed by With Or Without You followed by Moment of Surrender...what would have been your reaction?

I know I would have said "Slap my ass, call me Sally, and buy me some tickets to that tour!"

Of course, it's completely hypothetical and there's no way you could know exactly what your reaction would have been. But, for those that are saddened by the set lists (and I'm not saying there's anything wrong with being disappointed or voicing that disappointment), maybe try and go back in your mind and recall what your initial reaction was when you first heard that they debuted Ultraviolet on the 360 tour? And try and go back and remember what your initial reaction was, just a couple weeks ago, when you heard they were bringing back HMTMKMKM? Maybe, if you find yourself feeling down about the sets, try and zen yourself back to that moment, that happy moment. That moment of "No shit!?! They're playing that! Fuck Yeah!!!"

I mean those are, in my opinion, straight up two of their best 90s songs, two songs that not many (if any) would have foreseen being resurrected, and they're being played while THE VOX! rolls around in a fucking neon red glowing suit of lights. It's bat(man)shit insane and it's really cool.

I think maybe some, myself included, just follow these guys and their tour a bit too closely from our desk chairs, and it becomes easy to forget just how great it is that they're doing shit like playing Hold Me, Thrill Me and Ultraviolet. (With a talking Zooropa baby)! I mean that's some shit that a bunch of U2 fans would have written on their damn dream set list. When you see it and read it night after night it might lose some of its luster, but it shouldn't! Also, a month or two after NLOTH came out, I didn't even think they were going to attempt to play Moment of Surrender live. I thought it was going to be one of those special studio songs that they don't even try to touch live...but here we are and they've busted it out every night on the tour.

I don't know. I'm rambling, and am not 100% sober, and I may be over thinking things.

Again, not trying to talk down down or preach, and everybody has every right to think what they want about the sets. I'm just saying maybe step back for a minute? I know it's just a rock and roll set list and you're probably not actually letting any of it get to you deep down. We all know there are infinitely more important things in life than U2 sets. I just felt like typing it out. I love you all.

And this probably isn't even the right thread for this huge dumb post, sorry OP.

You Win. :up:

Great post GAF.

If I would've attended last night's show not knowing that they were playing TUF and UTEOTW every night I would be extremely happy with the set and completely blown away by the encore.

Dropping "Until The End Of The World" and especially "The Unforgettable Fire" (not to mention keeping crap like "Boots" and "In A Little While") just for that encore hardly seems worth it...now, if it had been "Bad" then all bets are off!!!

That is a great post GAF. I like the way you word your thoughts and agree with most of it. :up:

And last night's encore is pretty damn perfect enough for me. As soon as we got HMTM rehearsal news I was hoping they would combine both songs.

One of their best encores in a long time! Hopefully they can stick with it and work UF/UTEOTW back into the set, perhaps chucking Elevation/Glastonbury in the process. But they're on the right track. :up:

One of their best encores in a long time! Hopefully they can stick with it and work UF/UTEOTW back into the set, perhaps chucking Elevation/Glastonbury in the process. But they're on the right track. :up:
Replace "Glastonbury" with "IALW" and these are my thoughts exactly.

Yeah.

This :up:

Great Post "Sally" :smacksarse:

:wink:

Yeah.

yes! everything you said :up:

Setlist complaint will always be there! We all have our favourites and someone out there will always be unhappy about song(s) being played, or not being played. I am just happy to have an opportunity and see couple of shows. Once I am there, to be honest, I don't even care what they are playing. I enjoy every minute of it.

I think most people are happy with the encore now though. :shrug:

It's the main set that seems to be going through some frustrating changes for some.

Back
Top Bottom