Good omen for setlist shake-up!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2 play glasto on June 24-26. It has been said that they arent allowed to bring the Claw so they will do a greatest hits-type setlist. Bono has confirmed this. IMO, all the shows after Glasto have a great chance of a mixed up setlist b/c i think after the boys dust off some rarely played gems they wont want to stop playing them! Its almost a certainty that we will hear some new songs/arrangements this summer in NOrth America!

If they're playing a greatest hits setlist, somehow I don't think they'll "dust off some rarely played gems" and won't want to stop playing them! It'll be the usual stuff that they've been playing forever.

Honestly, I don't see how it'll be much different to the current tour set.

It'll just be the biggest Greatest Hits show, but with flags

I hope there's some kind of shake up for next Friday... specially for the begining

They already are doing a greatest hits show. I don't see how Glastonbury will be any different from the current set, aside from missing a few songs.

U2 360 Tour News Article from U2tours.com

Glastonbury organisers have laid down the law to U2 and banned the stars from bringing their giant screens and spectacular stage props to the festival this summer.

Bono and the band will enjoy one of their finest hours when they headline the world's biggest festival in June.

But the stars won't be able to use any of the jawdropping effects from their record-breaking 360 degree tour because Glasto organiser Michael Eavis is insisting they "keep it real". Instead the Dubliner's will have to strip down their stage performance and use the same set as all the other acts. And last night a source close to the band revealed the stars will be ditching their set list that has been touring the world for the past 18 months, and instead perform a "greatest hits" gig for Glasto.A band insider revealed last night: "Michael Eavis told the band it will be almost impossible to bring any elements of their current stage set to Glastonbury. There won't be room for the big screens and all the props on the Pyramid stage, so the band are having to completely redesign their show for the Glasto gig. Bono has already suggested they completely change the set list and do a greatest hits set. It means they'll only play a couple of songs off their last album and instead focus on the glory days. Songs including Where The Streets Have No Name, Sunday Bloody Sunday and With Or Without You have already been put on the short-list."

U2 will be joining Coldplay and Beyonce as the main headline acts and play the Pyramid stage on Friday, June 24. Tickets for their Glastonbury appearance have already sold out with touts selling passes to the gig for up to £1,000 a pair.

A Glastonbury spokesman said: "Tickets are now securely identified and therefore cannot be resold."

i know its only my second post since 2001 but I AM SMART!

But what does a greatest hits setlist (which they've pretty much already been playing) have to do with RARELY PLAYED GEMS?!

But what does a greatest hits setlist (which they've pretty much already been playing) have to do with RARELY PLAYED GEMS?!

enjoy splitting hairs much!?

The point of the post is that if they are planning on doing a completely different set for Glasto then they are going to have to play songs we havnt heard in a while correct?? That means that before the Glasto show they may "rehearse" some of said songs in ohhh...i dont know...a concert setting maybe!?

And god forbid those rehearsed songs sound great and bring the band joy to play at Glasto.....then maybe.....JUST MAYBE......they might incorporate those songs into the rest of the set AFTER Glasto.....seriously this is why i stay away from posting on the interwebz

i can actually see a parallel to the subtle changes that were made that turned zoo tv into the zooropa tour....a few songs here and there, but the same show basically

But...they HAVE been playing a greatest hits set, for all intents and purposes. A Greatest Hits set to them is unlikely to include any more of the 90s than they've already been playing, and will likely be laden with 80s and 00s best ofs, which is what the 360 tour has already turned into.

In all likelihood, we'll get one or two new songs out of this, but nothing RARE. They're not like a Radiohead or anything, they don't have any one hit that they hate playing and haven't brought out in years. They're pretty good (bad, if that's your take on things) about playing most of their hits every tour.

The only songs I can think they might bring out that are new TO THIS TOUR would be a few from Boy and Gloria. Other than that...

And last night a source close to the band revealed the stars will be ditching their set list that has been touring the world for the past 18 months, and instead perform a "greatest hits" gig for Glasto.

Bono has already suggested they completely change the set list and do a greatest hits set. It means they'll only play a couple of songs off their last album and instead focus on the glory days.

They have confirmed that they are doing a whole new setlist......these "new" songs will be played in all shows after Glasto in some capacity. Whether its 2, 3, 4, or 5 new songs........they will be played IMO....at least i hope....

I'm seeing them in Minneapolis, which is after Glastonbury, so if this miracle occurs (can you sense my skepticism? :wink: ) I will be thrilled to experience it.

I think they can get away with Numb, EBTTRT, AOH (full band), Discotheque, and WGRYWH on a greatest hits tour......those werent played i dont think

Oh ok, you're right, I see what you're saying now, they're definitely not going to play:

Beautiful Day
I Will Follow
Mysterious Ways
Elevation
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
Pride
City of Blinding Lights
Vertigo
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Walk On
One
or, With or Without You

Oh ok, you're right, I see what you're saying now, they're definitely not going to play:

Beautiful Day
I Will Follow
Mysterious Ways
Elevation
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
Pride
City of Blinding Lights
Vertigo
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Walk On
One
or, With or Without You

What i AM saying is i wouldnt be shocked if every song off of NLOTH is replaced EXCEPT for Magnificent.......that means space for 3 or 4 new songs AND at the very least a new closing song! 40 MAYBE!?

Ok, but you're acting as though these are long-lost numbers.

Most of them have made some sort of appearance either on this tour or the vertigo tour.

Ok, but you're acting as though these are long-lost numbers.

Most of them have made some sort of appearance either on this tour or the vertigo tour.

some sort of appearance??

I have been going to U2 shows since 1991 and ive never seen Numb live....never seen a full band AOH live....and discoteque, ebttrt, and Wild Horses 2 times each....in the 1990's....in the last century lol

and i was at the Tibetean Freedom Concert and Brooklyn Bridge show so im not some noob....i attended multiple shows each tour

This is the pool they have to choose from for a festival gig. No spoiler tags necessary because it's so damn obvious:

I Will Follow
Out of Control
Gloria
Sunday Bloody Sunday
New Year's Day
Pride
Bad
Streets
ISHFWILF
WOWY
Desire
Angel of Harlem
AIWIY
One
Until The End of the World
The Fly
Mysterious Ways
Stay
Beautiful Day
Elevation
Walk On
Vertigo
COBL
Magnificent

Cut about three out of that and, perhaps if U2 pass out from boredom and crack their heads, their doctors will recommend a few rare gems.

They haven't played AOH full band since the 80s (right?) And they haven't played Numb since 1993, why would they do those things now?

As for the other songs, they've all been played at some point this decade. Hell, I've only seen three U2 shows, and I've seen Discotheque.

That's not to say I wouldn't LOVE to hear these songs. But the idea they'd play any of them at a show where they are CLEARLY catering to the casual fans is just asinine.

They haven't played AOH full band since the 80s (right?) And they haven't played Numb since 1993, why would they do those things now?

As for the other songs, they've all been played at some point this decade. Hell, I've only seen three U2 shows, and I've seen Discotheque.

i forgot they played it a few times this decade my bad

Discotheque and EBTTRT were pretty common on the Elevation tour, ditto Wild Horses on Vertigo.

I wish I lived in a world where Please was a realistic possibility for a U2 gig.

I'm sorry that my being in college and not having the funds to follow them around every tour makes me a bad fan.

Is it my fault they postponed the last US leg? I broke Bono's back, didn't I :(.

Back
Top Bottom