Good omen for setlist shake-up!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think this whole argument here is really silly, but you're really going to judge someone by the number of shows they've gone to?

Should we judge you by the number of posts you have on this site?

I was playing the tart said:
52,000 posts and 3 shows?? pretty weak IMO.....ill listen to the guy with 8 posts and 15 shows any day!! lol, if i knew u only went to 3 shows i woulda stopped talking to you minutes ago!!

U2 Song Title Game is a cruel mistress.

I think this whole argument here is really silly, but you're really going to judge someone by the number of shows they've gone to?

Didn't you hear him? He'd rather talk to someone with 8 posts who's seen 15 shows. I don't stand a chance.

i was actually making a pre-emptive joke about my post count before some one else did....sarcasm anyones??

seriously, i predict 4 songs that we havnt heard on the tour yet in east lansing right after Glasto

seriously .....why the hate for my theory? I cant believe I was the first to post this!!

if u sit back and think about the logistics of re-learning songs you havnt played in a while it make COMPLETE sense....you have to rehearse those songs......then you do all that rehearsing just to play them one time!?? I DONT THINK SO! NEW SETLIST HERE WE COME!!

Highly unlikely they'll play anything rare. Highly unlikely they'll play anything they haven't been playing to death either.

Remember, this is not a U2 crowd. It's a mixed bag. They need to play the stuff most people know

They also want to make an impact and blow away everyone else that plays that day because they're gonna be judged that way.

LemonMelon's earlier song selection looks spot on.

Highly unlikely they'll play anything rare. Highly unlikely they'll play anything they haven't been playing to death either.

Remember, this is not a U2 crowd. It's a mixed bag. They need to play the stuff most people know

They also want to make an impact and blow away everyone else that plays that day because they're gonna be judged that way.

LemonMelon's earlier song selection looks spot on.

i hear your point but i also think since this is a MAJOR evernt 30 YEARS in the making that we are in for something special.....This is the Holy grail for many U2 fans....weve been waiting for them to headline Glasto for years! This will be a "pilgramage show" for many diehards.....if there was ever a chance for them to play Red Hill Mining or acrobat this is it!

i hear your point but i also think since this is a MAJOR evernt 30 YEARS in the making that we are in for something special.....This is the Holy grail for many U2 fans....weve been waiting for them to headline Glasto for years! This will be a "pilgramage show" for many diehards.....if there was ever a chance for them to play Red Hill Mining or acrobat this is it!

Not sure if you're joking or not, but I respectfully disagree. If they thought those songs were worth playing (or could be played by them), they'd have been played already. Seems the fans hold those songs in higher regard than they do.

The other reason is that it wont be a pilgrimage because tickets sold out long before anyone knew U2 was playing.

What happened to this thread? :huh:
My guess is pretty much the same as LemonMelon's: all the hits, with maaaaaaaaaaaaaaybe one or two semi-weird '90s tracks. If we're lucky.

Oh, and they're inevitably going to play Glastonbury (the song). I mean, really.

This is the pool they have to choose from for a festival gig. No spoiler tags necessary because it's so damn obvious:

I Will Follow
Out of Control
Gloria
Sunday Bloody Sunday
New Year's Day
Pride
Bad
Streets
ISHFWILF
WOWY
Desire
Angel of Harlem
AIWIY
One
Until The End of the World
The Fly
Mysterious Ways
Stay
Beautiful Day
Elevation
Walk On
Vertigo
COBL
Magnificent

Cut about three out of that and, perhaps if U2 pass out from boredom and crack their heads, their doctors will recommend a few rare gems.

Even this goes too far with regards to Gloria, which hasn't a chance It struggled even on the Vertigo Tour to stay in the set, even though it was fantastic.

I would add Stuck and Miss Sarajevo to the list, and assuming there's no new album between now and then, I think Boots is quite likely due to its lead single status. U2 18 is a pretty damn good guide to what they'll play, and the only real "dark horse" that hasn't been played in ages is Sweetest Thing. Anybody who thinks anything that hasn't been played in years and years will come back is delusional; it'll be the big hits everybody knows, and since current U2 setlists are chock-full of the big hits everybody knows, it won't vary from the 360 song selection much at all, just maybe in a different order. About the only rare thing with a hope in hell of being played is the song Glastonbury. Otherwise, I'm expecting the most boring U2 setlist in history.

And it's not like that's a bad thing, IMO. That's standard fare at a festival, and I would never expect less.

Yeah, this is why I wouldn't go and see a band I fervently love at a festival (unless they're not doing any sideshows), because I'd want to hear more deep cuts. Being bold and hoping your lesser known songs are scorching on stage and get the crowd going worked for U2 in the early 1980s when they were a young band trying to make a mark on a festival, but they're not at that stage in their career, so I don't know why anybody would expect any significant song surprises at Glastonbury.

U2 are beasts of habit, and the surprise will be just how far they deviate from the 360 Tour's order of hits. I'd honestly expect something like this:

1. Beautiful Day
2. Mysterious Ways
3. New Year's Day or I Will Follow
4. Get On Your Boots or Magnificent
5. Elevation
6. Until The End Of The World
7. I Still Haven't Found
Speeeeeech
8. Glastonbury
9. Desire or Angel Of Harlem
10. Stuck In A Moment
11. All I Want Is You or Bad
12. Miss Sarajevo (remember, this was a big hit in the UK)
13. City Of Blinding Lights
14. Vertigo
15. Sunday Bloody Sunday
16. Pride

17. Streets
18. One
19. With Or Without You
20. Walk On

I think the most impressive thing we can hope for is that Scarlet is retained as Walk On's opener (or MLK returns to that role).

I think they'll dust off Out of Control for Glastonbury, but that's probably the extent of changing it up. And Bad, maybe.

In Part II of the Argentina TV interview, Bono says they are gonna change some things and there will be stuff that will only be played in Argentina - if Edge can remember the chords. :wink:

Didn't Edge mention possibly opening with Streets? Otherwise, you're probably spot-on.

Last year, after their spot at Glasto got cancelled because of Bono's back surgery, Bono mentioned that they were planning to open with Streets.

Personally, i think that would be an amazingly cool opener for this festival.

They're not doing a NEW setlist. They're doing a different one.

I'll bet you that that setlist will still have:
Beautiful Day
Get On Your Boots
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Vertigo
Where The Streets Have No Name
One
With or Without You

Likely contenders are:
I Will Follow
New Year's Day
Pride (In The Name Of Love)
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
Desire
Angel of Harlem
Mysterious Ways
Elevation
Walk On
City Of Blinding Lights
Magnificent

The other reason is that it wont be a pilgrimage because tickets sold out long before anyone knew U2 was playing.

That's not true. That U2 were playing was the worst kept secret in the world (and U2.com were promoting the on-sale date - pretty obvious.)

The ticket sales this year were a nightmare - and sold out in record time. People are/were pissed suspecting (rightfully, no doubt) that it had all been sent to hell by U2 fans, who will then double down on annoying everyone by spending "U2 Day" camped at the front of the Pyramid Stage. It is specifically why Glastonbury traditionally don't announce headliners till late - until after they've been through each stage of ticket sales. It's actually one of the main reasons why U2 haven't done a festival in 25 years. Fear that they'd just fuck it up.

Anyway, on topic: The article posted at the start of this thread was complete bullshit pulled from mid air by that journalist. Glastonbury had to tell U2 that they couldn't take the Claw? Riiiiight. U2 will play a Greatest Hits setlist? You don't say. Sources tell you it might include Streets and With or Without You? Woah!

They won't play anything rare. The treat for fans won't be in what they play, but maybe in how they play it. You might get better versions of a few things, but that's it. I think it will be 360 with just a few subs, maybe some spot-switching. And we'll know exactly what they'll be, or what the field of contenders will be, based on what they're playing in the US shows leading into it.

Glastonbury had to tell U2 that they couldn't take the Claw? Riiiiight.

:lol:

I had that thought, too. U2 aren't morons. They know the Glastonbury deal. I'm sure they didn't call the Glastonbury people and demand that they change the Pyramid stage to make room for their giant spaceship.

90% chance it is a Greatest Hits + A Few That Aren’t, But They Think They Are + New Album Pending setlist.

9% chance it is a Bono Must Prove To The Kids That U2 Are Still Relevent And Current And Can Rock! 00s!!!!!! Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah YEEEAAAAAH! setlist.

1% chance it is a Holy-Mother-Of-All-That-Is-Holy Ultimate U2 Fans Ultimate U2 Fantasy setlist.

90% chance it is a Greatest Hits + A Few That Aren’t, But They Think They Are + New Album Pending setlist.

9% chance it is a Bono Must Prove To The Kids That U2 Are Still Relevent And Current And Can Rock! 00s!!!!!! Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah YEEEAAAAAH! setlist.

1% chance it is a Holy-Mother-Of-All-That-Is-Holy Ultimate U2 Fans Ultimate U2 Fantasy setlist.
Once again, Earnie proves himself to be more reasonable then pretty much everyone else on the forum, myself included.

Also, I laughed out loud at "00s!!!!!! Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah YEEEAAAAAH". Nicely done.

That's not true. That U2 were playing was the worst kept secret in the world (and U2.com were promoting the on-sale date - pretty obvious.)

The ticket sales this year were a nightmare - and sold out in record time. People are/were pissed suspecting (rightfully, no doubt) that it had all been sent to hell by U2 fans, who will then double down on annoying everyone by spending "U2 Day" camped at the front of the Pyramid Stage.

Well then...

I stand corrected sir.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom