FINALLY! Magnificent opens Foxboro 2!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's crap, because we're probably gonna see what happened with Vertigo Tour, the gradual filtering out of current album songs as the set turns into a Greatest Hits tour all over again. At the Melbourne gig in '06, I only saw 4 bomb songs. A far cry from the 8 songs enjoyed by punters at some of the early Vertigo gigs.

Breathe has always been a questionable opener... Magnificent would be kind of cool, have to wait for Youtube videos tomorrow

I was there and I'm still surprised that they dropped Breathe. When Kingdom faded out I was ready for the start of Larry's drum intro but when I saw Bono and Edge on the stage I knew something was up.

Awesome, setlist already looks better... Breathe is a great song but Slot #1 was just the wrong place for it. I could see it opening the Encore...

I get the feeling that a/some band members were really not willing to let go of Breathe opening (and other things)... something must have finally "given".

Anyway, I feel this little change will do a lot...

Same effect as COBL opening vs. LAPOE...

-----

It's crap, because we're probably gonna see what happened with Vertigo Tour, the gradual filtering out of current album songs as the set turns into a Greatest Hits tour all over again. At the Melbourne gig in '06, I only saw 4 bomb songs. A far cry from the 8 songs enjoyed by punters at some of the early Vertigo gigs.

i don't know, i think that was more because they skipped us on elevation, so they threw in a few more atty club songs, and remember u218 had just been released too.

i don't mind the change - it gets magnificent out of the way early :reject:

Just got back from the show... Agree with earlier poster, when all four members appeared on stage at the same time, you knew something was up. This was my 5th 360 show, and I think they should keep Magnificent as the opener (as much as I like Breathe).

One thing I was really surprised with... the GA floor was not crowded at all. I am VERY claustrophic, so I planned on hanging at the back. But I stood in front of the sound board (about 25 yards from the main stage) and I had tons of room around me --- a great vantage. I noticed at Boston #1 that GA did not look all that full. I wonder if its just a local ordinance thing...

I think something was up last minute, I mean it opened Sunday with a pretty strong reaction, and after Kingdom their was a pretty glaring gap and then they started playing Magnificent instead... its one thing to move it as opener, but they really should have slotted it in somewhere, I hope it doesn't die as it deserves to be there as a live song, instead of properly promoting NLOTH they're only going to make the promo worse, no one will ever get to know the material this way, and given the tepid reactions of NA crowds to Unknown Caller, I'd say that's next. :sad:

Sunday had way too many typical rocker hits even for this tour, but at least tonight they played Your Blue Room, and Stay was the acoustic song, that made my night (I reallky need them to do this full band again, :drool:). Walk On was stronger tonight, and MLK continues to be gorgeous and add a strange intimate spirit to the huge environment (if only the tool and his girlfriend behind me weren't talking in my ear, shut up this is a awe-inspiring quiet song!). They left out the new intro for BD, and the almost Fez like Boots intro they'd been doing. Bono's voice seemed even stronger tonight and he was a little more relaxed, he seemed kind of remote last night, but I have to say they used the catwalks very little tonight.

I was there and Magnificent rocked as the opener

hi laura :wave:

Finally they have some clue. :up:
Without having seen this concert I can honestly say that it will be 20 times better as Breath as an opener lol

NOw get MOS surrender out of the final slot and finish off with a classic after it and this pretty much will be the best setlist they have ever done.

Not good. Breathe is the better opener with the drum solo. I'm shocked to see it gone and I hope they don't start dropping new songs now.

Breathe is much better and more energetic as an opener than Magnificent.

:|

Otherwise, the set looks good.

I'm glad to see the band's changed up the opener - now they need to do the same at the other end of the set.

I think Magnificent is slightly more ideal than Breathe, but neither would half as suit the spot as NLOTH would. NLOTH simply has more energy and sustained momentum.

they dropped breathe but then they played your blue room. you can hardly say it was dropped in favor of a "greatest hit". lol. next they will drop boots to play Elvis ate america. lol.

Wow what a set lol. Woke up and nearly died with happiness. Great to see them experimenting for once on this tour!

I don't consider a set particularly "good" where they start dropping new songs and not replace them with other new songs.

How about finally playing Fez? Or Stand up Comedy?

I hope this won't turn into a Greatest Hits show. I'm glad I went to the European shows, especially the early ones.

I don't consider a set particularly "good" where they start dropping new songs and not replace them with other new songs.

How about finally playing Fez? Or Stand up Comedy?
i can't believe it, but i gotta agree with you here. :wink: i really hope sometime throughout the tour they play fez and/or suc. i think suc would work well in a stadium.

Its funny people moaning when they never change things up, i mean really moaning, making threads ect. When they do change it up people still moan. For all we know this is just an experiment.

I was completely caught unprepared when they got on stage 15 minutes earlier than usual...I didnt even noticed they changed up the opener. Haha...I was too busy scrambling to "get ready"..... earplugs, camera in right spot,all that jazz. I was with friends this time so far too easily distracted!!!! Going solo sure has its advantages! :D

I knew something was different and totally threw me off. Kinda funny.:doh:

Wow what a set lol. Woke up and nearly died with happiness. Great to see them experimenting for once on this tour!

QFT!

Next their clothes! Mix them up too! you are wearing the same clothes night after night after (repeat to infinity) All pictures are now starting to look like all the other European tour pictures! Get some VARIETY guys :sad:

Just a teeny bug bear, just sayin :sexywink:

U2tours.com say they played the intro of MOFO just before City of Blinding lights....youtube, be my god....:D

They didn't play the intro of Mofo. There may have been a lyrical snippet of Mofo's first couple of lyrics at the start of COBL. I personally am still awaiting confirmation before putting it on U2gigs.

Back
Top Bottom