FINALLY! Magnificent opens Foxboro 2!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So I hope Breathe will be back as opener. I don't even see the energy argument. IMO it doesn't matter what you're open with, the energy in the beginning is always incredible. At the shows I went to, people were going crazy for the new songs in the beginning and having the band members come on stage individually for Breathe was just adding to the amazing excitement and tension in the beginning.

but it's all about maintaining energy, which Breathe fails to do. yes, the whole drum pattern thing works well, and the first couple chords pump the crowd up. but the song itself is just an average mid tempo rocker. where Magnificent is better is that it has a thumping bassline that keeps the crowd on their toes the entire song. and imo, the buildup that Magnificent creates with the engine and synth intro is much better than Larry's drum pattern, especially since the crowd knows it's in line for a much better song.

once again, this is just my opinion, but i really feel that Breathe is one of the weakest songs on the new album.

And they don't go to the catwalk anymore, which has been parf of the Magnificent performance until now. If that means they'll use the bridges and catwalk even less, I don't think the set changes are that good. I'm so glad I experienced the band on the catwalk when I went to the shows. Magnificent was the first real highlight for me when I was in Milan because I was standing at the catwalk when Bono came down from the bridge. I'm a little sad to see they don't do that anymore.

They got seriously slapped around by the Boston Globe review the night before especially for this and the "lack of connection" that it led to and I felt they were on the catwalk/bridges a hell of a lot less in response to that criticism. I will admit I felt it made for a much more cohesive show the second night though, the band felt tighter and more connected. It sucks to not use what you've built but I'd rather have a better show and less strutting if that's what it takes.

The more I think about "Fez/Being Born" should be the opener. Once they get into the "Ohs", "Being Born" would send stadiums into a rocking frenzy. In fact:

Fez/Being Born
Get On Your Boots
Magnificent
NLOTH
Breath
UTEOTW

**NOTE TO EVERYONE, ask Bono or the Edge why don't they open with Fez/Being Born

The more I think about "Fez/Being Born" should be the opener. Once they get into the "Ohs", "Being Born" would send stadiums into a rocking frenzy. In fact:

Fez/Being Born
Get On Your Boots
Magnificent
NLOTH
Breath
UTEOTW

**NOTE TO EVERYONE, ask Bono or the Edge why don't they open with Fez/Being Born

this.

but it's all about maintaining energy, which Breathe fails to do. yes, the whole drum pattern thing works well, and the first couple chords pump the crowd up. but the song itself is just an average mid tempo rocker. where Magnificent is better is that it has a thumping bassline that keeps the crowd on their toes the entire song. and imo, the buildup that Magnificent creates with the engine and synth intro is much better than Larry's drum pattern, especially since the crowd knows it's in line for a much better song.

once again, this is just my opinion, but i really feel that Breathe is one of the weakest songs on the new album.

If you take the exact opposite of everything you just said, that is pretty much my opinion on the openers.

"but the song itself is just an average mid tempo rocker" = this is perfect description of magnificent.

"especially since the crowd knows it's in line for a much better song." :lmao:

my point is that the beat and bassline maintains the energy better than Breathe does.

i get it, its just subjective. i thought breathe was a way better opener. i felt by the end of the song the crowd is in a frenzy. magnificent, nuts at the beginning and then tapering off. breathe, to me builds and i love the ending the most- magnificent is doesn't ever really build- just the same. :shrug:

fwiw, i like magnificent and enjoyed in greatly, just don't think its anything better than breathe, especially as an opener.

i get it, its just subjective. i thought breathe was a way better opener. i felt by the end of the song the crowd is in a frenzy. magnificent, nuts at the beginning and then tapering off. breathe, to me builds and i love the ending the most- magnificent is doesn't ever really build- just the same. :shrug:

fwiw, i like magnificent and enjoyed in greatly, just don't think its anything better than breathe, especially as an opener.

you're right. it's subjective. this is all just my opinion.

see, i personally believe that the energy in Breathe regresses as the song goes on.

with that said, i still think NLOTH would be a perfect opener.

NLOTH will be a good choice for an opener once they start playing a non-neutered sounding version of it. The current performance has about 1/2 the punch of the album version. It needs 2 guitars or something, because it just doesn't sound loud or dirty or crunchy enough.

Isn't Fez a bit too slow for the opener?
Everybody is saying that Breathe loses energy near the end but wouldn't that be the same with Fez?

This is something I heard...

I heard that Magnificent opening the show is due to miscommunication between Larry and the band.

I heard that Bono approached Larry and said "we are thinking of opening the show with a different song, we wanted to see what you think...". Larry allegedly replied "oh magnificent...".

This might explain the confusion that was allegedly seen as the band took the stage as a foursome.

This is what I heard but I can't name my source

with that said, i still think NLOTH would be a perfect opener.

i agree, if they would do the opening like the album it would be the best way to start it. its also my favorite song from the new album.

i can't believe i am actually typing this, but the way they are currently playing the new songs boots would be the best opener. the intro they have worked out would be the most natural opener (and i don't even really like boots that much).

Don't crush me if this has been addressed but shouldn't they dump the annoying keyboards in Magnificent? Just listened to it on headphones. It's killing me. Don't remember it in the pre-tour live versions...

why not

NLOTH
Mag
GOYB
UTEOTW//
Breathe

Encore
FEZ/BB
Ultraviolet
WOWY
MOS
NLOTH2 (with the "NO.. NO.. LINE" shouts)

of course, they'd have to be different, like in the album
:hyper:

it would be nice to hear nloth 2 at all, or at least something like nloth 1.5 that merges the two versions. i mean, i love the album version and all, but i think a performance more along the lines of nloth 2 would get the crowd going more.

it would be nice to hear nloth 2 at all, or at least something like nloth 1.5 that merges the two versions. i mean, i love the album version and all, but i think a performance more along the lines of nloth 2 would get the crowd going more.

Given how much NLOTH already gets the crowd going, NLOTH 1.5 would be a fucking epic live beast. I don't know how it is that U2 haven't realised this.

I think the live arrangement already sounds like a bit of a hybrid of the two versions. It certainly feels really uptempo and rocker-ish live.

Back
Top Bottom