FINALLY! Magnificent opens Foxboro 2!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hmmmmm Magnificent would be good if they did something with the intro and coming on stage,like the beginning of Zoo TV and Zoo Station.Breathe is a good opener though with the drums.

Its funny people moaning when they never change things up, i mean really moaning, making threads ect. When they do change it up people still moan. For all we know this is just an experiment.

If it was just an experiment it's one that I had absolutely no problem with last night, and from the reaction of the people in my section, it didn't look like they did either. Even Bono's little lyric flub at the start of Ultra Violet didn't ruin things for me :lol:

Thought you knew the 360° show ? Think again. Tonight the band shook up the show in Foxboro with a magnificent new opening ..

Oh wow what a change, definitely worth mentioning on U2.com, pfft!
Yeah I agree Breathe had to be replaced as the opener, but for me I would have changed it for Get On Your Boots, the song really rocks live and gets the crowd going straight away, I thought before the tour they would walk out to the future intro blended with the national anthem of the country they were in and then burst into Get On Your Boots, I dunno about Magnificent as an opener, great song, but live it is slowed down allot,

Anyone else finding these set list comments by the band and U2.com a bit stupid?
this was said by a band member I think in Boston,........

'Tonight we're gonna play old songs, new songs, songs we don't know... but we're not going anywhere without you. Are you ready for the ride ?'

and the set list that followed was the EXACT same as the one the band have been playing for the European tour!!!

I dunno why for a start U2 cant mix up there set more even for 2 nights in the same city the set list is mostly the same maybe the exception of two songs been changed, Yet they still say they mix it up with the above comments, wtf, surely the band can remember some of the songs they played on The Vertigo Tour like The Fly, I Will Follow, etc etc, why wont they throw in the odd different tune from night to night? The majority of Springsteen's sets change nightly and even a younger band than U2, Pearl jam change there sets, I don't get it, its not like U2 have a perfect set or anything, It could do with a good few changes IMO.

Thought you knew the 360° show ? Think again. Tonight the band shook up the show in Foxboro with a magnificent new opening ..

Oh wow what a change, definitely worth mentioning on U2.com, pfft!
Yeah I agree Breathe had to be replaced as the opener, but for me I would have changed it for Get On Your Boots, the song really rocks live and gets the crowd going straight away, I thought before the tour they would walk out to the future intro blended with the national anthem of the country they were in and then burst into Get On Your Boots, I dunno about Magnificent as an opener, great song, but live it is slowed down allot,

Anyone else finding these set list comments by the band and U2.com a bit stupid?
this was said by a band member I think in Boston,........

'Tonight we're gonna play old songs, new songs, songs we don't know... but we're not going anywhere without you. Are you ready for the ride ?'

and the set list that followed was the EXACT same as the one the band have been playing for the European tour!!!

I dunno why for a start U2 cant mix up there set more even for 2 nights in the same city the set list is mostly the same maybe the exception of two songs been changed, Yet they still say they mix it up with the above comments, wtf, surely the band can remember some of the songs they played on The Vertigo Tour like The Fly, I Will Follow, etc etc, why wont they throw in the odd different tune from night to night? The majority of Springsteen's sets change nightly and even a younger band than U2, Pearl jam change there sets, I don't get it, its not like U2 have a perfect set or anything, It could do with a good few changes IMO.

you are 100% right about everything but I do not have the strenght left to back you up. May the force be with you :up:

Its one thing to change openers....its quite another to completely drop one of the best songs from the album, that the tour is supposed to be supporting, even for one show.

I would be shocked and disappointed if Breathe is dropped from the setlist. Such a great song, especially live. And I enjoyed it as the opener with Larry playing. Maybe this:

Magnificent,
No Line On The Horizon,
Get On Your Boots,
Mysterious Ways,
**Breathe
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For,
Elevation,
Your Blue Room,
Beautiful Day,
Unknown Caller,
Until the End of the World,
Stay (Faraway, So Close),
The Unforgettable Fire,
City of Blinding Lights,
Vertigo
I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight (remix),
Sunday Bloody Sunday,
MLK,
Walk On,
One - Amazing Grace,
Where the Streets Have No Name
***Breathe

Ultraviolet,
With or Without You,
Moment of Surrender

I would be shocked and disappointed if Breathe is dropped from the setlist. Such a great song, especially live. And I enjoyed it as the opener with Larry playing. Maybe this:

Magnificent,
No Line On The Horizon,
Get On Your Boots,
Mysterious Ways,
**Breathe
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For,
Elevation,
Your Blue Room,
Beautiful Day,
Unknown Caller,
Until the End of the World,
Stay (Faraway, So Close),
The Unforgettable Fire,
City of Blinding Lights,
Vertigo
I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight (remix),
Sunday Bloody Sunday,
MLK,
Walk On,
One - Amazing Grace,
Where the Streets Have No Name
***Breathe

Ultraviolet,
With or Without You,
Moment of Surrender

let's no go Vertigo with this one. It is not THAT good :lol:

This is good news, however, I think No Line would still be the better opening song than Magnificent.

I do not like that they dropped Breathe altogether though. Its a good song live and it should be played. Just not to open. Go back to the two encore thing like the past and open an encore with Breathe.

I could dig MAGNIFICENT as the opener, I do think that BREATHE should remain somewhere in the set-list, i/m/h/o NLOTH should be the one dropped, granted it is the title track and straight-forward rock song, yet I dont see it adding to the ambience of the whole concert!!! (I will add follow-up comments once I have seen the band perform NLOTH on 10/01/2009, I am positive I will rock to it, I'd just rather hear STAND UP COMEDY in its place)

Now I see what people mean when they said that Magnificent should have opened. I liked Breathe as an opener. But the difference from the energy when they opened with Magnificent compared to Breathe last night was like night and day.

I could dig MAGNIFICENT [/COLOR] should be the one dropped, granted it is the title track and straight-forward rock song, yet I dont see it adding to the ambience of the whole concert!!! (I will add follow-up comments once I have seen the band perform NLOTH on 10/01/2009, I am positive I will rock to it, I'd just rather hear STAND UP COMEDY in its place)

Wow, I could not disagree more. No Line is my favorite song off the new album and my favorite song live off the new album (actually I like it more than a lot of the standards live). It would be my absolute last choice to be dropped. Most of my non U2 diehard friends think No Line is the best song on the album also. :shrug: Fortunately, I think it will be played for this entire tour.

The Mofo snippet interested me- fingers crossed. Magnificent is a good opener. Breathe needs a second guitar in my book

I saw a video. Bono doesn't really sing anything, he just recites the "looking for the face" line twice as COBL builds up and that's it.

Im all for Magnificent opening the set but they shouldnt drop Breathe.

The song is too good to drop, better let a oldie goldie bite the dust U2.

Breathe is a good opener. I think magnificent works pretty well, i wish they would just rotate them, playing breathe in the 4th spot when it doesn't open. Breathe was a highlight for me, and i would be really disappointed if they dropped it.

They should drop Mysterious Ways it is a very lackluster version without the big ending solo, or ISHFWILF which has been so tired for so long.

They should drop Mysterious Ways it is a very lackluster version without the big ending solo, or ISHFWILF which has been so tired for so long.

ISHFWILF is the karaoke song of the tour, by no means should it be dropped.

I still think they should just have flipped the first 4

Mag
GOYB
NLOTH
Breathe

then into whatever else they wanna play

I ended going to both Foxboro shows and have to say Foxboro #2 was by far a lot better. In fact and this is hard to admit, Foxboro #1 was so bad in my mind I kinda lost all faith. I was thinking here I go spending all this $$$ and in the end for this?

First Complaint - Accoustics at Gillette Stadium were absolutely awful
Second Complaint - Edge was terrible all night the first night at times it seemed his timing was way off
Third - While I liked to see them play YBR, it sucked a lot of the energy right out of the stadium as did MLK on the second night.
Fourth - on the first night there was such a HUGE disconnect with the crowd. but last night it was incredible

I hope Giants Stadium will be better in the sound department, we'll see........

not at all. this is just silly. the "energy" is no different. the crowd is going to go nuts pretty much with anything they open with.

Magnificent is not a bad opener, but the energy argument is just not true.

Certainly there's a "baseline" of energy that will always be there because the band just took the stage, but can you really dismiss outright the idea that the choice of opening tune effects the crowd's energy level?

Certainly there's a "baseline" of energy that will always be there because the band just took the stage, but can you really dismiss outright the idea that the choice of opening tune effects the crowd's energy level?

no, not at all. i'm just saying, after seeing both, there wasn't a noticeable difference in the energy level between breathe and magnificent when they both opened. that's it. to act like there is a huge difference is just false.

some people on here love magnificent, and have wanted it to open all along, and now the hyperbole begins for it being the greatest opener. its good, i hope they rotate the two. i just don't think its any better than breathe.

Back
Top Bottom