Every Breaking Wave

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I like it quite a bit.

Just a word of warning, though. Or maybe not a warning really, just a statement. I'm afraid that a ton of people are going to fall in love with and become so familiar with this bare bones, stripped down, under-rehearsed live version of the song, and then when the studio version comes, and it is (potentially) quite a bit different sounding, people are going to be disappointed and upset.

I'll just never forget the huge uproar when In Rainbows came out: everybody had already fallen in love with Thom's solo piano performances of "Videotape." And then when the studio version hit, with that abrasive and choppy drumbeat at the end, people freaked out. Their familiarity with the live version of the song negatively colored their view of the final artistic statement.

Just saying that this could be a bit of both a blessing and a curse. Especially on an internet forum.

But, of course, if there are some bleeps and bloops and changes in the studio version (if one is ever released) of "Every Breaking Wave" and people are disappointed, you'll always have this Helsinki version.

agreed. this has actually become a song that i play 3-4 times a day. i am being cautious though. even though i like Magnificent, the beach clip led me to believe that it was more stripped down, making me disappointed in the album version.

I thing the song is ok, but so far, with this musical arrangement, it's hard to know really... I'm not a fan of acoustic/only guitar songs. I like the lyrics and the melody is catchy, but I'll have to wait for the real stuff.

A big part of why I often prefer slow songs is the fact that Bono is singing quite beautifully. His voice sounds amazing, not as high and strained as on many of the uptempo songs. I really think he has a great melodic voice and the EBW bootleg from Helsinki sounds amazing. Love it.

QFT. :up:

Just hearing EBW for the first time since the setlist party.

The guitar remind me of the intro to The Fly on the elevation tour. Very similar. Anyone else feel this way? Perhaps the genesis of EBW?

"You walk out into the sports hall the lights go down, its a whole different scene light and motion light and motion lights up motion... Its hard to walk away You could have it all We could have it all... And love, shine like a burning star falling from the sky, tonight...."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwlBcTbIaDM&feature=related

Love the song. I almost always hear another song in a new U2 song. You can hear a bit of the Supremes' You Keep Me Hanging On in Vertigo. There's a snippet of a Beatles melody in Standup Comedy, Bowie's Ashes to Ashes elsewhere.

In this one, I hear Sonic Youth's The Diamond Sea. Just like 3 or 4 notes in progression, but it's unmistakable.

I see the resemblance to "the fly" video, but that intro part was never released as an official song. When I originally heard it, I was pretty sure I was going to hear it again to be some sort of full song. Unlike some on here, It doesnt bother me in the least that the edge's riff has kinda been played before... it's their artistic license and their creation. Super excited about EBW :hyper:

I definitely see the resemblance to The Fly Elevation tour. Though I never liked that version. Mostly because the original was so much more awesome I guess, because I really like this riff in EBW!

The intro of The Fly on Elevation Boston was great. Perhaps shortly after the tour, they played around with it and hatched EBW?

If it was supposed to be on NLOTH, I would have gladly taken it over Cedars.

Or what the hell, just throw us one more song on the album as opposed to tossing one.

Keep in mind that Edge is just picking through the chords in a very default Edge-like style, due to the stripped down arrangement. I guarantee the guitar parts on the finished version won't sounds like that.

Where did you find this information exactly? :hmm:

I searched EBW on the web and this article came up on a blog...i don't remember where, but i remember thinking that EBW was probably taken off at the last minute, seeing as how the tracklist is basically the one that we got. pretty sure it was a q mag article.

I searched EBW on the web and this article came up on a blog...i don't remember where, but i remember thinking that EBW was probably taken off at the last minute, seeing as how the tracklist is basically the one that we got. pretty sure it was a q mag article.

Ah thanks! Good to know these things. ;)

Keep in mind that Edge is just picking through the chords in a very default Edge-like style, due to the stripped down arrangement. I guarantee the guitar parts on the finished version won't sounds like that.

Exactly what I have been thinking all along. The appregio-style picking is something which The Edge is known to utilize in his playing. Dallas said so back in 2001 (02:27 - 03:54): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JA_GNrKxzy0

Additionally, the previews from Q and Rolling Stone says it will be quite complex sonically.

• Q Magazine, December, 2008:
    With Or Without You-style pulser that builds layers of guitars over electronically enhanced verses before opening up into an expansive drop chorus and then, ultimately, exploding into an exstatic coda. Key line: "Every sailor knows that the sea/Is a friend made enemy"
  • Bono flips open his Macbook Air and calls up a file."I think I may have just managed to rhyme 'life' with 'life'," he notes, rolling his eyes. Lillywhite cues up the track, a meditative, slow-burning track called Every Breaking Wave that gradually builds to a climax brimming with passion and intensity. Bono begins to sing, rocking back and forward on his studio chair, as he performs a near-note-perfect vocal that employs the movement of the ocean as a metaphor for the human struggle, before building to the plaintive line, "I don't know if I'm that strong."
  • Rolling Stone, January 22, 2009:
    A swelling soul-pop song, with bright synth sounds influenced by OMD and, Bono says, "early electronica". "You don't hear indie bands doing blue-eyed soul [like this]." he adds.

still cant get enough of the song and i so hope they keep in in the set at least on one of the brussels hows.
they did change some of the lyrics

It's so beautiful, Edge's guitar is just magical! I was so lucky to hear it in Vienna. When Bono announced it, I screamed out of joy. Such a great tune.

Just hearing EBW for the first time since the setlist party.

The guitar remind me of the intro to The Fly on the elevation tour. Very similar. Anyone else feel this way? Perhaps the genesis of EBW?

"You walk out into the sports hall the lights go down, its a whole different scene light and motion light and motion lights up motion... Its hard to walk away You could have it all We could have it all... And love, shine like a burning star falling from the sky, tonight...."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwlBcTbIaDM&feature=related

By far my favorite version of the Fly, can see a little bit of the EBW chords, you never know, U2 saves snippets all the time! Can we have a song with this much energy on the new album????

Ah thanks! Good to know these things. ;)

Exactly what I have been thinking all along. The appregio-style picking is something which The Edge is known to utilize in his playing. Dallas said so back in 2001 (02:27 - 03:54): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JA_GNrKxzy0

Additionally, the previews from Q and Rolling Stone says it will be quite complex sonically.

• Q Magazine, December, 2008:
    With Or Without You-style pulser that builds layers of guitars over electronically enhanced verses before opening up into an expansive drop chorus and then, ultimately, exploding into an exstatic coda. Key line: "Every sailor knows that the sea/Is a friend made enemy"
  • Bono flips open his Macbook Air and calls up a file."I think I may have just managed to rhyme 'life' with 'life'," he notes, rolling his eyes. Lillywhite cues up the track, a meditative, slow-burning track called Every Breaking Wave that gradually builds to a climax brimming with passion and intensity. Bono begins to sing, rocking back and forward on his studio chair, as he performs a near-note-perfect vocal that employs the movement of the ocean as a metaphor for the human struggle, before building to the plaintive line, "I don't know if I'm that strong."
  • Rolling Stone, January 22, 2009:
    A swelling soul-pop song, with bright synth sounds influenced by OMD and, Bono says, "early electronica". "You don't hear indie bands doing blue-eyed soul [like this]." he adds.

I was looking forward to this song at the time I read the review in Q-magazine and was quite disappointed it didn't appear on NLOTH. A few years earlier it was the same situation with the song Mercy, that didn't appear on HTDAAB. I hope both songs will be released in the near future. I hope the release of EBW will be exactly as described in Q and RS and not a stripped down version with just a guitar. With this song a new classic is born.:applaud::applaud:

I'd like to nominate EBW's first performance as one of the great live moments of U2's career.

Really, they completely nailed it. I think it's still my favorite performance of the song so far. It felt like it meant a lot to the two of them to get it right, and it was absolutely beautiful.

I'll just never forget the huge uproar when In Rainbows came out: everybody had already fallen in love with Thom's solo piano performances of "Videotape." And then when the studio version hit, with that abrasive and choppy drumbeat at the end, people freaked out.
I actually liked that choppy part; it was everything else: the lack of bass and Phil's driving drums, especially, as well as Thom not playing the bass cleff, but using a synth for it that really pissed me off.

Still hurts because it was my absolutely favorite song until Radiohead ruined it.

I absolutely adore this song . . . it's already hit the top of my most played list on iTunes . . . and it is, out of the four new tracks they have suprised us with, the one I am most hoping to hear live when these boys hit sydernee . . . just a gorgeous, grabs me in the pit of my stomach, covers me in gooseys kind of song :heart:

< am taking on board the caution re possible changes to the track if it ever finds its way on to a new album, but you know, thanks to the magic of technology, at least I'll always have the version I adore and, you know, I am nothing if not a positive pollyanna so there is always the smallest chance that the recorded version will be even better than this :cute: . . . either ways I am excited to see what they will do with it in the studio :)

I love and miss this song so much, still listen to it a lot. I think it's the best song out of all the new songs they've been playing this tour. I don't understand why U2 simply cannot continue rotating all the new and unreleased songs. I also miss Glastonbury, it had amazing energy. But Every Breaking Wave is magical :heart:

Back
Top Bottom