Enough With The Snippets!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Snippets are fine and often work, but I think it's odd that they are followed so closely by the setlist watchers on U2gigs, for example.

B Man sings a couple lines from "London Bridge" and all of the sudden, the setlists don't look so rigid, you know? It's as if we're looking for any little deviation at all.

Snippets are fine and often work, but I think it's odd that they are followed so closely by the setlist watchers on U2gigs, for example.

People want to know this sort of information so we give it to them. :shrug:

(Plus, frankly, it makes running the site a bit more interesting for me too.)

People want to know this sort of information so we give it to them. :shrug:

(Plus, frankly, it makes running the site a bit more interesting for me too.)

Oh, yeah, totally. Didn't mean to sound rude, but I probably did. The site is an excellent resource.

Oh, yeah, totally. Didn't mean to sound rude, but I probably did. The site is an excellent resource.

Oh no, it's cool. Thanks. As it is, whenever we don't record some snippet, no matter how insignificant it was, we inevitably get people asking "why isn't such-and-such there?" (e.g. We got multiple e-mails when we missed Acquiesce at London I.) Keeps us on our toes.

Is anyone else getting a little tired and burned out from Bono's over-use of snippets from other songs in U2 songs this tour? In the past, often the use of a line or two from a usually appropriate either due to theme (Ruby Tuesday in "Bad") or as a musical reference that the U2 song obviously borrowed from (Not Fade Away, 1969 in "Desire") worked well and enhanced the performance. While Bono has increasingly included more snippets in several key songs, the practice never really got out of hand........ until this tour. Almost every song has often more than one snippet of another song that often wildly distracts from the performance of the U2 song itself.

Anyone else share my opinion?

T.B.

Seeing that I've yet to see them on this tour... NO

if some random song pops into bono hed while he's singing, then yes snippet it, not some bullshit pre planned thing though, it's annoying, and i for one don't like blackbird

the coolest snippets were relax from disco and stepping stone from elevation irving, hint.... only used once

it can be a tad annoying - especially when you dont know the song

i finally got around to watching the 60 minutes that aired a couple of days after walter cronkite died and towards the end i heard a song that started "we were born before the wind" and immediately flashed back to the 04/24/01 anaheim show.

back in 01, i didn't know what the song was but years later found out it was a van morrison tune. never bothered to find the song but it was cool to finally hear it 8 years later

my favorite snippet ever is molly malone from the south bend 01 show.

-dan

[youtube]i0wedS0LKeU[/youtube]

You can hear some (all?) of the Mofo snippet at the start there.

I'd never heard that... wow. I love WILATW. It and TGBHF are ATYCLB's two hidden jewels.

Back
Top Bottom